Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gary McSheffrey

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:07 am

On A serious note...

anyone else think Gary McSheffrey could do a job for us? can play on either wing and has always had real confidence in his dribbling...

Re: Gary McSheffrey

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:08 am

Past it

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:11 am

at 29?

I know this is different as he's a different class but I'd like to make the point that Paulo Di Canio and Zola both joined West Ham and Chelsea aged 30 - an age people most people deem too old for a new signing... both ended up as club legends... bit of perspective that I have only recently developed on players on the latter side of 28

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:47 am

Are there two Gary McSheffreys? Is the guy the one who used to play for Brum? Because I don't think it is, but just wanted to make sure!

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:47 am

jerdojedly wrote:at 29?

I know this is different as he's a different class but I'd like to make the point that Paulo Di Canio and Zola both joined West Ham and Chelsea aged 30 - an age people most people deem too old for a new signing... both ended up as club legends... bit of perspective that I have only recently developed on players on the latter side of 28

Errrr, both ended up club legends becaus they were world class, Zola, one of the best players in the world at the time :?

Mcsheffrey is 30 in a few months, on his way backwards, and is not the type of player we go for anymore.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:49 am

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:Are there two Gary McSheffreys? Is the guy the one who used to play for Brum? Because I don't think it is, but just wanted to make sure!

Same guy

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:54 am

of course both were world class... well di canio still had the best days a head of him. I just wanted to readjust this general consensus that we can't sign players who are over 28 years of age...

I'd say McSheffrey still looks a quality player and doesn't resort to pace to beat a man, meaning he has a good 2-3 years left at a good level at least...

I wasn't saying he'd ever make a world class signing just that could offer something better than the occasional good performance from conway or cowie... as neither for me will make decent premiership squad players... maybe I'm wrong but from the games i've been to both are a tad away... cowie alright can run all day but isn't going to win games. conway had a good game today true, but has been hugely disappointing on the whole in comparison to burke - an inevitable comparison

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:56 am

polo wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:Are there two Gary McSheffreys? Is the guy the one who used to play for Brum? Because I don't think it is, but just wanted to make sure!

Same guy

Cheers :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:57 am

jerdojedly wrote:of course both were world class... well di canio still had the best days a head of him. I just wanted to readjust this general consensus that we can't sign players who are over 28 years of age...

I'd say McSheffrey still looks a quality player and doesn't resort to pace to beat a man, meaning he has a good 2-3 years left at a good level at least...

I wasn't saying he'd ever make a world class signing just that could offer something better than the occasional good performance from conway or cowie... as neither for me will make decent premiership squad players... maybe I'm wrong but from the games i've been to both are a tad away... cowie alright can run all day but isn't going to win games. conway had a good game today true, but has been hugely disappointing on the whole in comparison to burke - an inevitable comparison

Have to agree to disagree on this one., Dont think hes a malky player at all.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:01 am

on second thoughts... you are right on him not being a malky type of player...

and malky seems to know his formation and what he wants inside out I'd hate to see him being forced to sign a player who didn't fit his mould (cough bellamy! lol)

I have absolute faith that Malky's way of playing will mean that we don't necessarily need the best individual players... like last season - which for me was the most depressing and disappointing season of all the last 8 years I have been a regular attendee at games...

I still think McSheffrey should be playing for a better club than Cov (no disrespect)... but I think he has close relations with the club as I think it's his second spell there..

so to conclude... no to McSheffrey! lol

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:03 am

jerdojedly wrote:on second thoughts... you are right on him not being a malky type of player...

and malky seems to know his formation and what he wants inside out I'd hate to see him being forced to sign a player who didn't fit his mould (cough bellamy! lol)

I have absolute faith that Malky's way of playing will mean that we don't necessarily need the best individual players... like last season - which for me was the most depressing and disappointing season of all the last 8 years I have been a regular attendee at games...

I still think McSheffrey should be playing for a better club than Cov (no disrespect)... but I think he has close relations with the club as I think it's his second spell there..

so to conclude... no to McSheffrey! lol

It was his first club i believe, and also his hometown club.