Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City vs Portsmouth Ratings

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Marshall - 6 - Bad mistake for goal

Taylor - 7 - Preety solid and good attacking threat
Turner - 7 - Solid
Hudson - 8 - Scored crucial leveler and was all round solid
Blake - 6/7 - Should of scored when he ran long way, gave the ball away to often but other parts of game he was good. Wasnt my pick of MOM

Cowie - 6 - Thought he was pretty poor today.
Gunnarsson - 6 - Same as cowie lost the ball in middle a bit
Whittingham - 8 - Controlled game and picking out good balls
Conway - 9 - Fantastic winner, his all round game was super today aswell my MOM

Miller - 8 - Cracking opener to score from that angle, his all round attacking play is second to none.
Mason - 6 - Pretty quiet today.

What a game that way, i can hardly speak, i felt sick and i was shaking haha. In all honesty we should of put that game to bed pompey didnt do anything we gifted them the two goals and i couldnt see us getting the winner, i was acctually saying to myself please conwat dont shoot lol but boy am i glad he did cracking goal. They must be buzzing in changing room ready fot the big one on tues night !!

" Player ratings v Pompey "

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:30 pm

These are just my thoughts, everyone thinks differently so please feel free to leave your match ratings below. I find it interesting to see how peoples views differ.

Marshall 5 – Impossible to judge IMO as he did nothing other than gift them a goal and pick the ball out of the net twice.
Blake 6 – People said I was to harsh last game so have been more than kind today. Moments of good play followed by moments of crazily poor defending. Certainly no where near as fit as the rest of the squad.
Hudson 7 – some poor decision making at times today but a great goal.
Turner 7 – Both him and Hudson had there hands full and struggled at times but solid enough.
Taylor 8 – thought he was excellent, solid in the tackle, good going forward and linked up well with Conway. Nearly scored as well.
Cowie 6 – Worked hard but passing and crossing was sloppy.
Witts 7 – A master class in the first half but a tad sloppy in the second half. Some of his passing is really top quality
Gunnarsson 6 – poor game by his standards, never really got going and sloppy on the ball.
Conway 8 MOTM – Worked hard, excellent link up play down the left, an assist for the equaliser and the winner in the 93rd minute, should have cemented his place for Tuesday.
Mason 6 – held the ball up quite well, quiet in patches and at times sloppy.
Miller 7 – Good goal and looked lively.

Generally thought we played well if not a little sloppy. Shirt passes were at times given away but could be because of the way Pompey pressurised and closed down. At a guess I would say the squad have been practicing cross field passing, never seen so many good quality crossfield passes. A fully deserved three points though

Palace made 9 changes to their team and we went full strength which has to be the right but I was amazed MM never used any of his subs. We got a last minute winner and they lost in the last few minutes, so lets hope we go into the game with our heads high and Palace with there heads down.

Re: " Player ratings v Pompey "

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:36 pm

i opened a player rating thread already, do you wanna merge them ?

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:38 pm

Agree with most of that. I thought Kenny had a fantatsic first half, and could easily have had a hatrick but he lacked effort in the second half. Thought Mason had a poorer day by his standards, he looked to get bullied by pompey's defence.

Conway was superb, whitts was great as usual.

conway motm youre havin a laugh had decent game but miller was head and shoulders above him his work rate is second to none

Chris1988 wrote:i opened a player rating thread already, do you wanna merge them ?

Will do Chris, Apologies, I did have a look but didnt see it :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:42 pm

I dont think Darcey was rated as the worst player in the team today? are you lot f*cking mad! and I'm NOT a big Darcey fan either! :lol:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:43 pm

Merlin wrote:I dont think Darcey was rated as the worst player in the team today? are you lot f*cking mad! and I'm NOT a big Darcey fan either! :lol:

I would say he was the worst personally and also the most unfit.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:52 pm

do we think cowie needs a break? i dont know? his last few performances havnt been that great..

hes played a lot of games mind and his work rate is generally excellent. id like to see him playing in the middle behind miller than out right though!

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:do we think cowie needs a break? i dont know? his last few performances havnt been that great..

hes played a lot of games mind and his work rate is generally excellent. id like to see him playing in the middle behind miller than out right though!

Maybe but certainly not against Palace.
To me Cowie seems to play a lot better when Kev is behind him, his energy to get up and down offers us the width that Cowie cant.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:55 pm

All I can say is we looked knackered, especially in the 2nd half.
Conway was superb though. Should defo play or tuesday.
Also Blake played really well, but gave the ball away too often. Needs to get fitter!

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:12 pm

For what it's worth here are my ratings;

Marshall 6 Big mistake for the first goal but couldn't do much about the second otherwise did OK.

Taylor 8 For me one of our unsung heroes just a steady eddie type but so reliable. Another good performance.
Hudson 7 With Turner had thier handsfull today but stood up to the test well and scored a good goal.
Turner 7 Same as Hudson without the goal but some of his cross field passes are fantastic.
Blake 8 I thought Darcy was great today a big improvement on the last home game with loads of energy and fantastic covering pace when needed. Great break in the first half which deserved a goal and two or three great pices of covering defending in the second. Not my man of the match and for me clearly as fit as a butchers dog, also getting match fit now.

Cowie 7 Loads of energy as we have come to expect and provided loads of width for these cross field passes. Unlucky not to score in the second half.
Whitts 8 Not at his very best but ran the show again and some of his passing was fantastic. Huge player for us in the run in.
Gunnarsunn 7 Worked tirelessly as usual but gave the ball away cheaply at times, not at his best but his never give up attitude is so very important to us.
Conway 9 For me the rest he has had has done him the world of good. Non stop ebergy great cross for Hudson goal and super srtike to win the match. For me clearly MOM today.

Mason. 7 Not at his best but never stopped running but gave the ball away cheaply at times. A young man who continues to improve and even when things are not going his way he still shows for the ball. Great prospect.
Miller 8 Fantastic in the first half and scored an excellent goal and unlucky not to get a second. Quieter in the second half but still looked what he is our best forward player.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Think the ratings are spot on to be fair, thats just how I saw the game today - For me Whitts, Hudson, Conway and Miller were our outstanding players.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Its great, no one has mentioned Hudson, by far THE best player on the field and led by example

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:34 pm

jammsy 1927 wrote:Its great, no one has mentioned Hudson, by far THE best player on the field and led by example

Spot on mate, just said the same in my Darcy Blake thread. Hudson was fantastic today! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:36 pm

Marhsall -4 Bad mistake , very quite dint make the mega saves we normally see of him
Taylor -7 Rock
Turner-7 Rock also
Hudson-8 Cracking goal , Rock
Blake-6 I thought he was very poor today , how he got man of the match is beyond me , good player though
Cowie -5 Poor , nothing at all from him , sitter missed.
Gunnarsson-6 Quite , gave the ball away , not many shots as he normally has
Whittingham-8 Top player , held the ball fantastic , amazing passing. MOTM
Conway-7 Scored a good goal in the dying seconds , he was very quite during actual play though
Mason -6 very quiet , not a huge impact
Miller -8 held the ball brilliantly , gave some good passes and good goal

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:52 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:
jammsy 1927 wrote:Its great, no one has mentioned Hudson, by far THE best player on the field and led by example

Spot on mate, just said the same in my Darcy Blake thread. Hudson was fantastic today! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Hudson very good today just one mistake where he seemed to leave a ball which was clearly his but he scored and made numerous crucial interventions 8/10 for Hudson but Conway just shaded him for MOM :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:38 pm

i thought darcy had is best game in a city shirt since swansea away last season(i know he hasnt played many) hes not perfect because he simply is not a natural right back and I take that into account when judging his performance

conway and miller were superb

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:49 am

Blake was woeful, if anybody gave him over a 5 they were watching a different match.....how many times had we broke, got ourselves into a good attacking position and Darcy passes the ball with un-nerving accuracy to one of Pompei's players. Everytime he got the ball everyone around me gripped their seats in terror. I think he was voted MOM out of bloody sympathy.

Just because he's a "local lad" doesnt mean he gets any special treatment. If Hudson had played like Darcy did today he would have been slammed from pillar to post!

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:33 am

I think Taylor performed very well, going forward he was excellent, as well as tracking back. Best I've seen him recently