Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Dougie Freedman -Cardiff City are " SCARED STIFF " "

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:38 am

CRYSTAL PALACE boss Dougie Freedman has thrown down the gauntlet ahead of next week’s huge Carling Cup clash by claiming Cardiff City will be “scared stiff.”

Freedman, a close friend of Bluebirds captain Mark Hudson, insisted City’s failure at the last hurdle in recent seasons will stifle them in the semi-final second leg clash in South Wales.

Under Dave Jones the Bluebirds lost in the play-offs to Reading and Blackpool, just missed out after being thumped at Preston, and were defeated by Portsmouth in the 2008 FA Cup Final.

Even though Malky Mackay has a new-look side, Freedman maintains those last-gasp failures will create a climate of fear at Cardiff City Stadium.

Freedman made his outspoken remarks in a column he wrote for the local newspaper the Croydon Advertiser.

Palace take a one goal lead into the second leg clash and Freedman wrote: “It is a huge game and without a doubt will be tense as the prize for the winners is so great.

“However, while it is only natural our players will be nervous before the game, I'm sure it will be worse for the home team who know only too well what it is like to fall at the last hurdle.

“I’ve seen Cardiff fall just short so many times over the past few seasons that they and their supporters must be scared stiff of failure.

“When you get in stressful situations it is difficult not to think of the past, and when you have their recent history of being beaten in the play-offs so often, they must have some very unhappy memories.

“In fact the last time they got over the line was when Lennie Lawrence was their manager, but unfortunately for them he is sitting in our dugout.”

Lawrence is on the coaching staff at Palace these days.

Freedman continued: “One of the hardest things to do in football is to come from behind in a semi-final and I think the win at Selhurst Park last week gives us a massive advantage going into the game.

“We played very well in the first leg, especially when you consider we were well below full strength.

“It will be our objective to build upon that performance in the return game and put Cardiff under pressure by taking them out of their comfort zone.

“ But while I know it will be a very difficult test in Wales, I have so much confidence in my group of players that I believe we can go there and do the job.

“Without a doubt Cardiff City Stadium will be a hostile environment but we've gone to tough places this season and got results.

“So I don't think that will be too much of a factor especially as we are taking large numbers of fans ourselves who will always make themselves heard no matter how out-numbered they are.”

Re: Dougie Freedman -Cardiff City are "scared stiff"

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:50 am

:D :D :D ----------- :D :D :D ---- lets have it. CCFC :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: 3-0.

Re: " Dougie Freedman -Cardiff City are "scared stiff" "

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:51 am

“Without a doubt Cardiff City Stadium will be a hostile environment but we've gone to tough places this season and got results.

“So I don't think that will be too much of a factor especially as we are taking large numbers of fans ourselves who will always make themselves heard no matter how out-numbered they are.”

Hmm

Re: " Dougie Freedman -Cardiff City are " SCARED STIFF " "

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:06 am

city,go for that early goal, and enjoy watching them shat them selfs. game on.--ps any ely lads walking in from vic park :?: COME ON CITY. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:19 am

He's got a point. I can see where he's coming from. When I've seen him interviewed on TV he always comes over as a knowledgeable, sensible and reasonable guy. Looks as if he gets on with Malky too (Jocks r us). Only time will tell

IMWT :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:24 am

So its us fans that are scared stiff not the club, cleverly written though. I cant for the life of me see how we can brake them down, it will be a nervey night.....

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:29 am

Christ it's only 1-0. The way there going on we don't score any goals at home.
All mind games on there part.
Our team is better than theres, they just got to pull together and want it more.
So come on CITY let's show the fUckers we mean business and get a result....
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:39 am

Carl Curtis reply

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -30168160/ :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:50 am

Just a load of mind games bollox.
If we sell out - which i'm sure we will - we'll show them that we're not ''scared stiff'', and they'll be the ones shaking in their boots.
We just got to make sure everyone is singing, even the Ninian, which i'm sure will be rocking for this :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:11 am

carlccfc wrote:CRYSTAL PALACE boss Dougie Freedman has thrown down the gauntlet ahead of next week’s huge Carling Cup clash by claiming Cardiff City will be “scared stiff.”

Freedman, a close friend of Bluebirds captain Mark Hudson, insisted City’s failure at the last hurdle in recent seasons will stifle them in the semi-final second leg clash in South Wales.

Under Dave Jones the Bluebirds lost in the play-offs to Reading and Blackpool, just missed out after being thumped at Preston, and were defeated by Portsmouth in the 2008 FA Cup Final.

Even though Malky Mackay has a new-look side, Freedman maintains those last-gasp failures will create a climate of fear at Cardiff City Stadium.

Freedman made his outspoken remarks in a column he wrote for the local newspaper the Croydon Advertiser.

Palace take a one goal lead into the second leg clash and Freedman wrote: “It is a huge game and without a doubt will be tense as the prize for the winners is so great.

“However, while it is only natural our players will be nervous before the game, I'm sure it will be worse for the home team who know only too well what it is like to fall at the last hurdle.

“I’ve seen Cardiff fall just short so many times over the past few seasons that they and their supporters must be scared stiff of failure.

“When you get in stressful situations it is difficult not to think of the past, and when you have their recent history of being beaten in the play-offs so often, they must have some very unhappy memories.

“In fact the last time they got over the line was when Lennie Lawrence was their manager, but unfortunately for them he is sitting in our dugout.”

Freedman continued: “One of the hardest things to do in football is to come from behind in a semi-final and I think the win at Selhurst Park last week gives us a massive advantage going into the game.

“We played very well in the first leg, especially when you consider we were well below full strength.

“It will be our objective to build upon that performance in the return game and put Cardiff under pressure by taking them out of their comfort zone.

“ But while I know it will be a very difficult test in Wales, I have so much confidence in my group of players that I believe we can go there and do the job.

Put this article up on the dressing room wall. "The opposition manager thinks you are a team of bottlers, prove him wrong!".

Pre match team talk done!!!

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:16 am

Our Club, our players and our fans are focussed more on getting promotion than getting to the League cup final. I don't think that any of us are scared of losing to Palace. He's playing mind games which suggests they are more scared than us.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:17 am

He has a point will be nervy Away goals count double i Believe so even if its 2-1 cardiff we still go out, we must stop scoring or were going to need 3. We need to ramp up the noise from the off get the place bouncing. To a man woman and child we need everyone bouncing for this

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:19 am

Stavross wrote:
carlccfc wrote:CRYSTAL PALACE boss Dougie Freedman has thrown down the gauntlet ahead of next week’s huge Carling Cup clash by claiming Cardiff City will be “scared stiff.”

Put this article up on the dressing room wall. "The opposition manager thinks you are a team of bottlers, prove him wrong!".

Pre match team talk done!!!

I think thats a great idea actually :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:He has a point will be nervy Away goals count double i Believe so even if its 2-1 cardiff we still go out, we must stop scoring or were going to need 3. We need to ramp up the noise from the off get the place bouncing. To a man woman and child we need everyone bouncing for this

Thats not exactly right.....away goals if level...

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:48 pm

30 mins extra time is played. If it still level after extra time, away goals count double isn't it?

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:56 pm

Mind games.

Use his words as a reason to make more noise.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:56 pm

All said in the "Croydon Advertiser" :roll:

Is that one of those free newspapers that get left on buses and end up being used as quilt covers for the homeless :lol:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:08 pm

score 1 goal and they will buckle for sure....game over. :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:28 pm

We must be shitting ourselves hence us putting out a full team today and Palace making a number of changes for their game at Blackpool - clearly the league more important to us.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Mind games ............ altho we have to score first or need 3 if they do :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:05 pm

Under Dave Jones the Bluebirds lost in the play-offs to Reading cocky tw@tand Blackpool, just missed out after being thumped at Preston, and were defeated by Portsmouth in the 2008 FA Cup Final.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:20 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:All said in the "Croydon Advertiser" :roll:

Is that one of those free newspapers that get left on buses and end up being used as quilt covers for the homeless :lol:

No, it's the main paper which provides quite a few pages of sport, mostly dedicated to Palace. It costs 60p, so not really for the homeless. Or was that just a petty dig at the area?

Yes, Dougie was playing mind games. He seems to enjoy doing that, but usually he just leaves it for transfers.

Could either backfire or work very well. We shall see.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:19 pm

Perhaps it's Palace who are scared stiff?? ----I would be coming to Cardiff on Tuesday, very, very afraid in fact :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:30 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:Perhaps it's Palace who are scared stiff?? ----I would be coming to Cardiff on Tuesday, very, very afraid in fact :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Obviously the thought of being scared is in his mind.
Poor comment from him, we have been in and won semi finals before :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:49 pm

We had Palace players were too ill to play the 1st leg :o And as we know they all turned up :!:

Just mind games,but for me the key is we must try and not let Palace score with this away goal rule.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:32 am

f**k 'im, Scottish c**t.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:16 am

scared stiff i dont think so right up for it failure it goes with the terriorty of following cardiff city

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi all, Palace fan come in peace!
Looking forward to the game this week, should be a cracker!

I just thought I'd see what your reaction was to the article that was written on Walesonline.
It surprised me to see Dougie talking like this as it's not really his style, however. if you read his actual words it appears very different.
This article is re-hashed from an interview done with a local journo, when you read the original article it appears completely different.
Thought I'd post the link to the article.
http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/FRE ... story.html

Anyway, enjoy the game & may the best man win!

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:57 pm

palace_fan1 wrote:Hi all, Palace fan come in peace!
Looking forward to the game this week, should be a cracker!

I just thought I'd see what your reaction was to the article that was written on Walesonline.
It surprised me to see Dougie talking like this as it's not really his style, however. if you read his actual words it appears very different.
This article is re-hashed from an interview done with a local journo, when you read the original article it appears completely different.
Thought I'd post the link to the article.
http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/FRE ... story.html

Anyway, enjoy the game & may the best man win!

welcome to our board !! Enjoy the match tuesday , whats your score prediction - ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:06 pm

welcome to our board !! Enjoy the match tuesday , whats your score prediction - ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Depends which Palace turns up really.
I think you'll score but just hoping we score as well! Going for 1-1. I also have a feeling it could be end to end football.

We should have pretty much a first choice side out after the ilness & injury problems of late. Moxey & Clyne will be a major boost.