Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

southampton going for it

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:37 am

Just looking on sky sports transfer clockwatch only speculation but they are offering 4 mill for Jordan Rhodes and they are willing to pay up to 6 mill for Gary hooper.massive sums for 2 players in the championship.

Re: southampton going for it

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:41 am

As Leicester have shown throwing money out all the time just doesn't work. Getting big players can upset the applecart. To me with us, yes we need 1 or maybe 2 players at most as to keep the fantastic spirit that this squad has. And to be fair even if we dont add i feel we will still be there or there abouts at the end of the season. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:24 am

ngriffiths wrote:Just looking on sky sports transfer clockwatch only speculation but they are offering 4 mill for Jordan Rhodes and they are willing to pay up to 6 mill for Gary hooper.massive sums for 2 players in the championship.

Massive and irresponsible in my opinion.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:36 am

southampton are a massive club.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:02 am

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfe ... um=twitter

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:04 am

Nuclearblue wrote:As Leicester have shown throwing money out all the time just doesn't work. Getting big players can upset the applecart. To me with us, yes we need 1 or maybe 2 players at most as to keep the fantastic spirit that this squad has. And to be fair even if we dont add i feel we will still be there or there abouts at the end of the season. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Bur leicester are and have just bought any top names like if they havnt thought it through. southampton look like they are adding quality without going mad..

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:28 am

£4m for Jordan Rhodes, Ipswich must be feeling pretty sick. :oops:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:46 am

Nuclearblue wrote:As Leicester have shown throwing money out all the time just doesn't work. Getting big players can upset the applecart. To me with us, yes we need 1 or maybe 2 players at most as to keep the fantastic spirit that this squad has. And to be fair even if we dont add i feel we will still be there or there abouts at the end of the season. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I disagree, slightly.

Agree that chucking large sums of money around doesn't always work and upsets the apple cart, but chucking it around when you are already in an automatic promotion position, I think, is worth a gamble.

Leicester throwing cash around before the season started was stupid, but the January transfer window is where you show your intent. If southampton already have the squad to keep themselves in an automatic pormotion slot, then one or two marque signings will not hurt, they can still revert to what they already have if it doesn't work. However, if it does they are walking into the Prem.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

jinks-rct wrote:

Bur leicester are and have just bought any top names like if they havnt thought it through. southampton look like they are adding quality without going mad..

FACT

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:08 pm

You cant buy the league

Look at Leicester and Ipswich

All 3 teams which went up last year, had relitivly small squad .. but most importantly a good team ethic :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:26 pm

If you put both Hooper and Rhodes into any championsip side they would improve, and with Southampton already top of the league with the squad theyve got you couldnt argue against them staying there.

Hopefully both clubs will reject their offer as I think they will be nailed on if they get those two in.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:30 pm

I think the manager is bottling it!

Perhaps he's feeling the pressure?

Throwing bids like that out there shows he doesn't have the trust or faith in his present players.

I think that's a bit odd because they are top of the league and are excellent on their day.

His present players will despise him for this and should he not land either signing then this will have a negative effect on their campaign.

I think they'll now blow automatic because this will destabilise their campaign.

IT'S OUR'S FOR THE TAKING!!!!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:47 pm

f**k Southampton. The Bluebirds are going up :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Big bucks, & from a club i thought went bust not so long ago.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:05 pm

:ayatollah:

Like the new avatar, too.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:06 pm

Wayne S wrote:

I disagree, slightly.

Agree that chucking large sums of money around doesn't always work and upsets the apple cart, but chucking it around when you are already in an automatic promotion position, I think, is worth a gamble.

Leicester throwing cash around before the season started was stupid, but the January transfer window is where you show your intent. If southampton already have the squad to keep themselves in an automatic pormotion slot, then one or two marque signings will not hurt, they can still revert to what they already have if it doesn't work. However, if it does they are walking into the Prem.

Good post.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:10 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:Big bucks, & from a club i thought went bust not so long ago.

Liebherr family are minted and own Southampton think they are worth about $ 2.5 Billion

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:13 pm

10 mill not going mad you must be fuc.... mad if you think 10 mill is not going mad ffs :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:19 pm

Johnny Rythmn wrote:I think the manager is bottling it!

Perhaps he's feeling the pressure?

Throwing bids like that out there shows he doesn't have the trust or faith in his present players.

I think that's a bit odd because they are top of the league and are excellent on their day.

His present players will despise him for this and should he not land either signing then this will have a negative effect on their campaign.

I think they'll now blow automatic because this will destabilise their campaign.

IT'S OUR'S FOR THE TAKING!!!!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Keep taking those positive pills, Johnny Riddim!

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Saints and leicester are bigger clubs than us and always will be thats why they got the owners with cash who are willing to spend to get to the prem :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:09 pm

Still think they will slip up, whatever the outcome. :D

Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:30 pm

Neil Lennon has said Hooper is going nowhere

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:51 pm

jinks-rct wrote:

Hmm point taken :old:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:02 pm

I wouldn't say Leicester are a bigger club than us.. I think if you buy quality then you deffinately got a chance to get out of this division. Leicester haven't bought quality plus swapping managers never helps.
Southampton through are minted and I'm sure half of us on here could get them in the top 6... I don't rate there manager through and he seems a bit of a prick talking them up all the time and I'm sure he said they would deffinately go up this year. :ayatollah: