aj1927 wrote:Jack Dempsey V Lennox Lewis
Ali V Joe Lois
Jack Johnson V Mike Tyson
Marciano V Larry Holmes
Hagler V Calzaghe
Mayweather V Nigel Benn
in my honest opinion of the fighters in their primes
Dempsey to heavy handed for Lewis..
Holmes would jab Rocky to death and the wee man wouldnt get close enough..
Jack Johnson would Take a beating and keep going Tyson never had the best stamina even in his prime..
Mayweather and Benn??????? :evil: :evil: why is it even on the list!!!! shouldve been Mayweather v Leonard.
Calzaghe ALWAYS FOUND A WAY TO WIN.....ALWAYS
ALI v LOUIS... Man i just dont know.... i would call it a DRAW :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mayweather V Leonard :o wow now that would be a fight. Tell me a man that could call that one ? Even Duran Haglar 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Re: " 70th BIRTHDAY AND STILL THE GREATEST IN MY EYES "

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:54 pm

But you also have to think the heavyweights of yesteryear was much smaller than today's heavyweights Chief :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:55 pm

Slighly off topic but Sugar Ray Leonard on facebook (it's his official account) is saying that the Mayweather/Pac-man fight is agreed and just waiting for contracts to be drawn up and signed :shock:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:14 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:Slighly off topic but Sugar Ray Leonard on facebook (it's his official account) is saying that the Mayweather/Pac-man fight is agreed and just waiting for contracts to be drawn up and signed :shock:

Now that would be good. The only pay per view i would pay to see. Any longer and they will both be past it IMO

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:57 am

[/quote]
But this is a thread on how good Ali was, not about so called one eyed racists in the CCS :roll:
Yes Tyson was scary he used to give me nightmares in his early years. Marciano IMO would not of got near Ali. Marciano era didn't throw up many good boxers but you cant take away the fact he was the only undefeated Heavyweight in History.
[/quote]

Buddy, if you think Ali was / is just about boxing, you miss the whole point.

But on boxing, the suggestion is that there were plenty of bums on Marciano's record. Prior to beating Liston, Ali only really fought a couple of names.....one of them was Archie Moore and he was 46 at the time!! Defended against John-Pierre Coopman, Jimmy Young, Richard Dunn, Chuck Wepner, Juergan Blin, George Chuvalo. I recon Marciano in his scariest pomp would have blasted our hero. I recon he could have beaten the list above if they were all in the ring together!

Still my hero, though![/quote]
[color=#FF0000]Chief you can drag racism into any argument if you want to but I find the subject boring and overused in life today.
Yes the names you mentioned above aren't well known but you will always get the cannon fodder. You can throw in the names of all the other great heavyweights that Ali fought as well as the above and any of those spinks foreman ETC would of ruled in any other era. To be honest we have all wondered if you could get all the greats in history and put them together what would be the outcome ? Who would beat who and who would be the greatest ?
If only we could find out [/color][/quote]

CHIEF; no great wish to prolong with you. However, my comment was that Ali was "a conduit for great change in USA and beyond (even if we still have one eyed racists in the CCS crowd!)".

He was. We still have a few knuckleheads, as well. Can't see it as me dragging racism along unduely. Most people will be aware of and comfortable with the fact that Ali changed American mindsets in a quiet stunning manner. Christ, there was still apartheid in southern states and effictive Klu Klux Klan regiments when I was a kid in the 60's!! Ali was a significant part of change. Which adds to his lustre. And is a valid part in discussing why the man is a hero to many.

Back to boxing, I think history has yet to be fair to Larry Holmes, who was a right good champion. Lennox Lewis is generally well regarded in the States (which is almost unheard of for a non Yank) and will stand the test of time........even though some say he hid from Riddick Bowe for a long time![/quote]

What?????

Bowe dumped the title in the trash bin so he wouldn't have to fight Lewis.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Ali was a World Champion inside and outside of the ring.

His boxing record was great and he knocked the media out every time he met them.

I wonder how he would have handled the papparazzi of today though?

One of the men of the last century :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:05 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:Slighly off topic but Sugar Ray Leonard on facebook (it's his official account) is saying that the Mayweather/Pac-man fight is agreed and just waiting for contracts to be drawn up and signed :shock:

Fights been "AGREED" for ages Craig it's just trying to get Bob Arum and Leonard Ellerby to agree contracts to sign.
Golden Boy have said they will broker the fight and cover the purses but Bob is playing hardball as usual ( Oscar de la hoya has tweeted it enough over the past year).

If Manny had joined Oscar all those years ago this fight would have happend about two or three years ago when both fighters were prime!!! They've both lost a wee bit of it now( not much I might add ) but if the fight does happen whatever the result the sceptics will be saying that wouldn't of happend 3yrs ago.....