THE TRUE LEGEND OF BOXING :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " 70th BIRTHDAY AND STILL THE GREATEST IN MY EYES "

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:33 pm

itv 4,-------------- on now----- :D

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:44 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Muhammad Ali :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Without doubt Annis The Greatest sportsman of all time :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:03 pm

My Father being an ex-boxer was always in awe of Marciano, but when Cassius came on the scene My old man was amazed at his speed and his outright boxing ability

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:11 am

He is defo one of the best but there are a lot more that were just as good or even better

Jack Johnson
Jack Dempsey
Foreman
Sugar Ray Robinson
Sugar Ray Leonard
Lamotta
Hagler
Duran
Cesar Chavez
Calzaghe
Mayweather
Pacquiao
Johnny Owen (The ghost with a hammer in his hand)
Marciano

Just to mention a few. But you can only judge on who else was around at the time. But the 70s when Ali was around it was the best set of Heavyweights to the like we will never see again, Foreman Holmes Spinks ETC just class. And Tyson would not of lived with any of them.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:46 am

Just to mention a few. But you can only judge on who else was around at the time. But the 70s when Ali was around it was the best set of Heavyweights to the like we will never see again, Foreman Holmes Spinks ETC just class. And Tyson would not of lived with any of them.[/quote]

We will never know, but I think Tyson at his peak would have stopped Ali. I just can not see Ali leaning back on the ropes having a lazy minute and Tyson not finishing him off. I also think Holmes would have beat Ali for the same reason.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:43 am

Our Henry

Henry Cooper would have beateen Ali if it wasn't for the "famous cut". Ali's corner man cut the glove with a razor, Mr Ali would have lost.

But that is if's, poss, probs shite. The Ali v Fraiser fights are without a doubt, the best raw matches ever.

I'm not going to look it up, CCMB prick style, was it the "rumble in the jungle# where Ali fought Frasier, bust his hand in the early round, Little Joe then busted Ali's jaw. Ali went 12 or 13 thirteen rounds with a bust hand and a bust jaw.

Now if any of you have had a busted jaw, it hurts, to have some guy hitting you that to us mere motals would be like being hit in the face with a sledge hammer, is pain. Broken hands, fingers? Been there seen done it. Once someone's stamped on your head a few times its easy, worst that can happen is you vote labour, the stamping on the hands and fingers hurt as when you get back up, the heavy kill punchers hurt, really hurt.

Some may say "our Henry" should have won, and yes he should have but Henry was a very hard thug, not a boxer, a gentlman to boot. I once had the previlage to meet "our Henry" and did ask if it wasn't for the "Glove cut" would you have won? Yep, he was out, caught him with a lucky punch, if he'd come out I'd have been World Champion. He'd want a rematch and to be honest I would fear for my life, he hit hard and was fast.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:12 am

Magners wrote:Just to mention a few. But you can only judge on who else was around at the time. But the 70s when Ali was around it was the best set of Heavyweights to the like we will never see again, Foreman Holmes Spinks ETC just class. And Tyson would not of lived with any of them.

We will never know, but I think Tyson at his peak would have stopped Ali. I just can not see Ali leaning back on the ropes having a lazy minute and Tyson not finishing him off. I also think Holmes would have beat Ali for the same reason.[/quote]

But by the same token tyson paid lennox off not to fight him when they were suppossed to meet in the final of the don king tournament.
lewis was always to big for tyson so where does that put lennox in the ratings

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:13 am

my favourite line from ali before a frazier fight
" im so fast last night in my hotel room i turned the light off and was in bed before it was dark" :lol:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:55 am

Magners wrote:Just to mention a few. But you can only judge on who else was around at the time. But the 70s when Ali was around it was the best set of Heavyweights to the like we will never see again, Foreman Holmes Spinks ETC just class. And Tyson would not of lived with any of them.

We will never know, but I think Tyson at his peak would have stopped Ali. I just can not see Ali leaning back on the ropes having a lazy minute and Tyson not finishing him off. I also think Holmes would have beat Ali for the same reason.[/quote]
Tyson lived off fear. Most of his victims so to speak was beaten before the first bell. A decent boxer would always beat a decent brawler. The fact is Tyson would of never of beat any of those in the 70s. Once Tyson got exposed he was beat at will. He did not know how to handle the likes of Hollyfield who was very small for a heavyweight but Hollyfield out boxed him by a Country mile. Once Tyson was beat for the first time it was all over for him the fear factor had gone and so did the Myth that was Iron Mike Tyson.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:21 am

splottbluebird48 wrote:

My Father being an ex-boxer was always in awe of Marciano, but when Cassius came on the scene My old man was amazed at his speed and his outright boxing ability

Ali is my all time hero and an inspiration to so many.......a conduit for great change in USA and beyond (even if we still have one eyed racists in the CCS crowd!).

BUT......Marciano would have slaughtered him, in my humble opinion.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:24 am

Nuclearblue wrote:

We will never know, but I think Tyson at his peak would have stopped Ali. I just can not see Ali leaning back on the ropes having a lazy minute and Tyson not finishing him off. I also think Holmes would have beat Ali for the same reason.

Tyson lived off fear. Most of his victims so to speak was beaten before the first bell. A decent boxer would always beat a decent brawler. The fact is Tyson would of never of beat any of those in the 70s. Once Tyson got exposed he was beat at will. He did not know how to handle the likes of Hollyfield who was very small for a heavyweight but Hollyfield out boxed him by a Country mile. Once Tyson was beat for the first time it was all over for him the fear factor had gone and so did the Myth that was Iron Mike Tyson.[/quote]

Like most bullies.....once someone stands up to them and gives them a spanking, they lose their confidence and others are willing to stand up to them.

He was bloody scary, mind!!

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:34 am

I would never question Ali's boxing class, but in my eyes he is a coward for dodging the Vietnam War draft.

I believe that those who used their status, wealth or influence (like ex-President Bill Clinton as well as Mohammed Ali) are full blown yellow bellied cowards for dodging service whilst thousands of others put their lives on the line. For all of his achievements in the ring Ali can't hold a candle to any Vietnam War veteran.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:49 am

Blue In Cwmbran wrote:
splottbluebird48 wrote:

Ali is my all time hero and an inspiration to so many.......a conduit for great change in USA and beyond (even if we still have one eyed racists in the CCS crowd!).

But this is a thread on how good Ali was, not about so called one eyed racists in the CCS :roll:
Yes Tyson was scary he used to give me nightmares in his early years. Marciano IMO would not of got near Ali. Marciano era didn't throw up many good boxers but you cant take away the fact he was the only undefeated Heavyweight in History.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:10 am

He will always be the greatest. Not just for boxing but for all the other shit he had to put up with. He changed the world and the way we see things.

Muhammad Ali aka Cassius Clay, I salute you sir. You made a difference.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:18 am

Ruislip Blue wrote:

He will always be the greatest. Not just for boxing but for all the other shit he had to put up with. He changed the world and the way we see things.

Muhammad Ali aka Cassius Clay, I salute you sir. You made a difference.

How? By being a Vietnam War draft coward or shitting all over Joe Frazer?

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:36 am

Nuclearblue wrote:
Blue In Cwmbran wrote:
splottbluebird48 wrote:

But this is a thread on how good Ali was, not about so called one eyed racists in the CCS :roll:
Yes Tyson was scary he used to give me nightmares in his early years. Marciano IMO would not of got near Ali. Marciano era didn't throw up many good boxers but you cant take away the fact he was the only undefeated Heavyweight in History.

Buddy, if you think Ali was / is just about boxing, you miss the whole point.

But on boxing, the suggestion is that there were plenty of bums on Marciano's record. Prior to beating Liston, Ali only really fought a couple of names.....one of them was Archie Moore and he was 46 at the time!! Defended against John-Pierre Coopman, Jimmy Young, Richard Dunn, Chuck Wepner, Juergan Blin, George Chuvalo. I recon Marciano in his scariest pomp would have blasted our hero. I recon he could have beaten the list above if they were all in the ring together!

Still my hero, though!

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:22 am

Coming from the top of the mountain, the man called Casius Clay is back again, bobbing and weeving and moving away the man called Casius Clay is the order of the day....so if you want to see some good exhibition you got to see the man called Cassius Clay in action....Move away George foreman..... :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:40 am

Blue In Cwmbran wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
Blue In Cwmbran wrote:
splottbluebird48 wrote:

But on boxing, the suggestion is that there were plenty of bums on Marciano's record. Prior to beating Liston, Ali only really fought a couple of names.....one of them was Archie Moore and he was 46 at the time!! Defended against John-Pierre Coopman, Jimmy Young, Richard Dunn, Chuck Wepner, Juergan Blin, George Chuvalo. I recon Marciano in his scariest pomp would have blasted our hero. I recon he could have beaten the list above if they were all in the ring together!

Still my hero, though!

Chief you can drag racism into any argument if you want to but I find the subject boring and overused in life today.
Yes the names you mentioned above aren't well known but you will always get the cannon fodder. You can throw in the names of all the other great heavyweights that Ali fought as well as the above and any of those spinks foreman ETC would of ruled in any other era. To be honest we have all wondered if you could get all the greats in history and put them together what would be the outcome ? Who would beat who and who would be the greatest ?
If only we could find out

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:58 am

Blue In Cwmbran wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
Blue In Cwmbran wrote:
splottbluebird48 wrote:

Still my hero, though!

all fighters have a number of fights hand picked just to get their win ratio up. a prime example of a carefully stage managed career was frank bruno who was fed a diet of bums until he fought lewis and tyson and was shown to be a limited fighter.
i also think amir khan has been carefully managed in his career the same way.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I would never question Ali's boxing class, but in my eyes he is a coward for dodging the Vietnam War draft.

I believe that those who used their status, wealth or influence (like ex-President Bill Clinton as well as Mohammed Ali) are full blown yellow bellied cowards for dodging service whilst thousands of others put their lives on the line. For all of his achievements in the ring Ali can't hold a candle to any Vietnam War veteran.

No one in any walk of life should be forced to go to war.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:27 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Blue In Cwmbran wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
Blue In Cwmbran wrote:
splottbluebird48 wrote:

Still my hero, though!

[color=#FF0000]Chief you can drag racism into any argument if you want to but I find the subject boring and overused in life today.
Yes the names you mentioned above aren't well known but you will always get the cannon fodder. You can throw in the names of all the other great heavyweights that Ali fought as well as the above and any of those spinks foreman ETC would of ruled in any other era. To be honest we have all wondered if you could get all the greats in history and put them together what would be the outcome ? Who would beat who and who would be the greatest ?
If only we could find out [/color]

CHIEF; no great wish to prolong with you. However, my comment was that Ali was "a conduit for great change in USA and beyond (even if we still have one eyed racists in the CCS crowd!)".

He was. We still have a few knuckleheads, as well. Can't see it as me dragging racism along unduely. Most people will be aware of and comfortable with the fact that Ali changed American mindsets in a quiet stunning manner. Christ, there was still apartheid in southern states and effictive Klu Klux Klan regiments when I was a kid in the 60's!! Ali was a significant part of change. Which adds to his lustre. And is a valid part in discussing why the man is a hero to many.

Back to boxing, I think history has yet to be fair to Larry Holmes, who was a right good champion. Lennox Lewis is generally well regarded in the States (which is almost unheard of for a non Yank) and will stand the test of time........even though some say he hid from Riddick Bowe for a long time!

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:01 pm

Holmes along with the rest in Ali's era was world class and he in any era would of reined supreme. Lennox Lewis was around when there was only bums. Hollyfield was good very good , to good for Tyson but like Lewis they would not of been in the class of the 70s IMO

Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Holmes along with the rest in Ali's era was world class and he in any era would of reined supreme. Lennox Lewis was around when there was only bums. Hollyfield was good very good , to good for Tyson but like Lewis they would not of been in the class of the 70s IMO

Can't pick an argument with that......except said earlier, there were bums in all era's. Not sure why Lewis' bums were worse than anyone else's.

What about Riddock Bowe. Record reads 43 and 1 with 33 by KO......not bad! Only beaten by Evander Holyfield .....and he beat Holyfield twice!!

Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:41 pm

A true legend of sport, not just boxing.

Probably the greatest sportsman of all time.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:45 pm

Blue In Cwmbran wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Holmes along with the rest in Ali's era was world class and he in any era would of reined supreme. Lennox Lewis was around when there was only bums. Hollyfield was good very good , to good for Tyson but like Lewis they would not of been in the class of the 70s IMO

Can't pick an argument with that......except said earlier, there were bums in all era's. Not sure why Lewis' bums were worse than anyone else's.

What about Riddock Bowe. Record reads 43 and 1 with 33 by KO......not bad! Only beaten by Evander Holyfield .....and he beat Holyfield twice!!

Because we was treated to several fighters in the same class in the 70s. In Lennox's Era there wasn't any other great fighters and that is not the fault of Lennox. There were bums in the 70s as well cannon fodder but to have aroud 5 world class fighters at the same time we will be lucky to see again.The same with Calzaghe it would of been great to see him in the ring with Benn, Watson, and Eubank (in there prime) but that's the way it goes :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:01 pm

Joe Louis not mentioned once.........

Louis and Clay/Ali sit very high on a pedestal above any of the above in my opinion.
Whilst people say Rocky was undefeated ( well done) compare his record to Joe louis title defenses( record still stands today) and as for Ali well what can you say....if God was a boxer he would box like Ali but he wouldn't be as pretty!!!

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:08 pm

Bowe was a dead cert for Gold at Olympics ( bcuz he was a yank) until he faced a Londoner representing Canada and go whooped!!!! He retired from pros so he didn't have to relive the same fate.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:36 pm

aj1927 wrote:Joe Louis not mentioned once.........

Louis and Clay/Ali sit very high on a pedestal above any of the above in my opinion.
Whilst people say Rocky was undefeated ( well done) compare his record to Joe louis title defenses( record still stands today) and as for Ali well what can you say....if God was a boxer he would box like Ali but he wouldn't be as pretty!!!

We could all mention someone that hasn't been mentioned before, and yes Louis was one of the all time greats maybe the best. But who would win any of these bouts then Fella ?
Jack Dempsey V Lennox Lewis
Ali V Joe Lois
Jack Johnson V Mike Tyson
Marciano V Larry Holmes
Hagler V Calzaghe
Mayweather V Nigel Benn
Now those would be interesting battles :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Jack Dempsey V Lennox Lewis
Ali V Joe Lois
Jack Johnson V Mike Tyson
Marciano V Larry Holmes
Hagler V Calzaghe
Mayweather V Nigel Benn
in my honest opinion of the fighters in their primes
Dempsey to heavy handed for Lewis..
Holmes would jab Rocky to death and the wee man wouldnt get close enough..
Jack Johnson would Take a beating and keep going Tyson never had the best stamina even in his prime..
Mayweather and Benn??????? :evil: :evil: why is it even on the list!!!! shouldve been Mayweather v Leonard.
Calzaghe ALWAYS FOUND A WAY TO WIN.....ALWAYS
ALI v LOUIS... Man i just dont know.... i would call it a DRAW :lol: :lol: :lol: