Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: 60K Capacity Stadium...You're Having A laugh?

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:10 am

If we ever get that big (and we all pray at night) and we come a superclub, with mega funds, the answer is simple.
Buy out all the surrounding outlets, knock them down and rebuild the stadium (remember what Old Trafford was like)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:30 am

Deano1 wrote:Even If 40,000 people wanted to watch us regularly, wouldn't it be better to have a capacity of 35,000 than 60,000?

Nope better to have a 60k as them 5000 we are turning away would be over 100k lost every match.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:33 am

welshcitydragon wrote:
Johnny Rythmn wrote:I hope so anyway.

I'm shocked that anyone could see this as a reality.

The team would have to win the Champions League five or six times in the next 10-15 years to make that viable.

Concur? :old:

I think you would have one hell of a surprise, If City were to get to the prem and we could stay there for say 2/3 seasons and were playing good football. We would start to pull much more in. Now if we got into the top 4/5 and still playing good football and we had a few big names I think you would fined people coming out of the woodwork to City ground and all them kids you see now walking around with Pool & Gunners & Man U shirts on ,would now be dumping them shirts for the Bluebirds shirts. Many many years ago City could pull 40,000 + now in the City of Cardiff we have many more people living here and just out side the City. 60,000 ? we wouldnt be too far away.

Back in the day everyone got huge crowds. Football was cheap. I think it's far more likely that crowds are going to drop as I think it won't be long until every match can be watched on tv live.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:38 am

jinks-rct wrote:
welshcitydragon wrote:
Johnny Rythmn wrote:I hope so anyway.

I'm shocked that anyone could see this as a reality.

The team would have to win the Champions League five or six times in the next 10-15 years to make that viable.

Concur? :old:

I think you would have one hell of a surprise, If City were to get to the prem and we could stay there for say 2/3 seasons and were playing good football. We would start to pull much more in. Now if we got into the top 4/5 and still playing good football and we had a few big names I think you would fined people coming out of the woodwork to City ground and all them kids you see now walking around with Pool & Gunners & Man U shirts on ,would now be dumping them shirts for the Bluebirds shirts. Many many years ago City could pull 40,000 + now in the City of Cardiff we have many more people living here and just out side the City. 60,000 ? we wouldnt be too far away.

I sort of agree with you there. i reckon if we do well we could get 35000 first season.
Second season if we are a good top ten team we could get 40 to 45000 but like you say if we are a top 6 team with a few big named players we could get 50000+ long way to go though :ayatollah:

Yer well you say we have a long way to go , and yes in some ways we have , BUT! look at Swans and Norwich , first season in the prem and there 9th & 10th , ok the season hasnt finishe yet but it shows it can be done. if they finish at 9th or10th they can build on that for next year. Nothing to say we cant do the same. and if we do I could see our 2nd season bring in around the 35,000. problem is our ground can only take 26,828 ? :old:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:46 am

maccydee wrote:
Deano1 wrote:Even If 40,000 people wanted to watch us regularly, wouldn't it be better to have a capacity of 35,000 than 60,000?

Nope better to have a 60k as them 5000 we are turning away would be over 100k lost every match.

so you'd rather spend millions on the stadium and play at a half-empty stadium most weeks? I would rather some people occasionally being turned away because we are sold out every week.....the extra revenue from sometimes getting 40,000 in a bigger stadium would be swallowed up by extra costs and would be almost irrelevant if we were getting the huge financial benefits of being regulars in the PL anyway....

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:00 pm

It aint happening, never.

We'd at least need 4 seasons in the prem to even contemplate expanding to beyond the 33,000 to 35,000 that is realistic. On top of that during those seasons we may need another cup final to move season ticket onwards and upwards.

The next thing needed would be a Europa Cup spot and I'm not even going to estimate how many years that would take for fear of being labelled as deluded. Suffice to say 60k stadium would require two season in the Champions League, one of which would need an attempt at a Semi Final.

How many years away from that are we? I would hazard a guess at it NEVER happening. Even those who believe we are THAT big would have to estimate at least 15 years.

When we were getting 40k, ALL clubs were and some were getting as lot more.

However, give us owners that thik they can turn us into the new Man City and all bets are off. Even then there are other clubs that billionaires would go to first and I include in that list the likes of Leeds, Derby and Southampton, so imagine how many clubs would be taken on before use. There's also Everton.....

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:56 pm

Would you trust anyone in football ownership though? they are all looking to make money from the clubs these days! they will all be as bad as each other!

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Midfield general wrote:If Im honest with you I think this 60k talk is just to deflect from the real issues at the club. No transfer as of yet, manager in Malaysia when we have one of the biggest games of the clubs history on Tuesday and a new director on the board who personally I don't trust given the fact that he helped the Glaizers turn Man Utd into a debt ridden club whos struggling to service its debts.

It was Carl who picked it as a subject to be 'gobsmacked' about in his 'update'.

'This afternoon I took a call and amongst various subjects regarding City, one in particular caught my attention more than the rest. I was told, and I don’t know myself if this is 100% fact or not, that since the buildings went up around the outskirts of the stadium, ie. KFC, McDonalds, Sand Martin then we can no longer increase our stadium capacity to the 60,000 figure that was always heralded when the stadium build started, apparently because of the lack of exits then we would not be allowed to increase to such a capacity. If this is indeed true then I am gobsmacked that the regime who allowed this to happen, actually went for short term survival over long term planning. I will be asking more questions tomorrow about this to see if it is indeed true.'

Personally, I think it's a good thing...

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:08 pm

Midfield general wrote:If Im honest with you I think this 60k talk is just to deflect from the real issues at the club. No transfer as of yet, manager in Malaysia when we have one of the biggest games of the clubs history on Tuesday and a new director on the board who personally I don't trust given the fact that he helped the Glaizers turn Man Utd into a debt ridden club whos struggling to service its debts.

100%

NO!

110% :ayatollah: :old:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:10 pm

If Im honest with you I think this 60k talk is just to deflect from the real issues at the club. No transfer as of yet, manager in Malaysia when we have one of the biggest games of the clubs history on Tuesday and a new director on the board who personally I don't trust given the fact that he helped the Glaizers turn Man Utd into a debt ridden club whos struggling to service its debts.

Don't you find it odd that the malaysians are setting up all these academies in malaysia under the Ccfc banner when Im your opinion they are trying to get away and sell ASAP.
These are proud people, while it may not effect them losing a business (Ccfc) in the uk. Looking to have failed in Malaysia with all these academies set up would be a slur on there name.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:12 pm

Deano1 wrote:
Johnny Rythmn wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If my math is correct then I reckon a 40K stadium would work better in that sceanario.

I'd say money doesn't stay long in your pocket Deano :lol:

a 40,000 stadium is not an option though Johnny, there are plans for a 35,000 ready to go as soon as we get promoted....a 60,000 stadium is the pipedream being talked about that we would never fill...

Look, I'm only messing but seeing aas though you brought it up answer me this.

Why isn't 40k an option when 60k is, the fecker aint built yet ;)

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:36 pm

Johnny Rythmn wrote:
Deano1 wrote:
Johnny Rythmn wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If my math is correct then I reckon a 40K stadium would work better in that sceanario.

I'd say money doesn't stay long in your pocket Deano :lol:

a 40,000 stadium is not an option though Johnny, there are plans for a 35,000 ready to go as soon as we get promoted....a 60,000 stadium is the pipedream being talked about that we would never fill...

Look, I'm only messing but seeing aas though you brought it up answer me this.

Why isn't 40k an option when 60k is, the fecker aint built yet ;)

Just talking about the original post, which was about a 60,000 stadium that would be far too big, and the plans that we have approval for which is 34-35,000....thats all ;)

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:50 pm

If we're talking long term (like 20-30 years) then 60,000 isn't completely unthinkable. If, and it's a big if, we can establish ourselves as a competing premier league team for 25 years or so then 60,000 seems reasonable.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:58 pm

It just doesnt really matter whether there's a KFC and the Sandmartin there preventing it from happening at the moment. We dont need a 60,000 any time soon, if ever. If the time did come when it was needed, as other posters have said, they can be moved. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if that has been agreed already...

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:58 pm

we could never be as big as arsenal or any other top 6 team.