Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

60K Capacity Stadium...You're Having A laugh?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:55 pm

I hope so anyway.

I'm shocked that anyone could see this as a reality.

The team would have to win the Champions League five or six times in the next 10-15 years to make that viable.

Concur? :old:

Re: 60K Capacity Stadium...You're Having A laugh?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Johnny Rythmn wrote:I hope so anyway.

The team would have to win the Champions League five or six times in the next 10-15 years to make that viable.

thats exactly what i just thought :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Thought Hamman left years ago :?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:03 pm

murphy wrote:

thats exactly what i just thought :ayatollah:

Yeah 30k in a 30k stadium is better than 40k in a 60k stadium :old:

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:04 pm

ross1927 wrote:Thought Hamman left years ago :?

It's Hammam ...you can tell you're from Grangetown! :roll:

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:10 pm

If we became a mistable prem club 35/40k would be more than enough.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:10 pm

Johnny Rythmn wrote:
ross1927 wrote:Thought Hamman left years ago :?

It's Hammam ...you can tell you're from Grangetown! :roll:

What do you think this is a spelling bee or something :lol:

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:12 pm

around 34,000 would be awesome in my view :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:15 pm

If you dont think big, you never will be big, as the saying goes.

Why cant we be as big as Arsenal ? Please answer :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Forever Blue wrote:If you dont think big, you never will be big as the saying goes.

It'll take decades of success and we'll have to surpass the eggs.

Newcastle are football mental up there but they got shag all else but even a few bad results for them and they're down to 30k.

Bayern Munich or Man City don't even get 60k!

60K clubs are Man Utd, Barca, Real Madrida nd maybe AC Milan ...brand names, footballing giants and loved by plastics

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:22 pm

I just don't think we could fill it. No problem thinking big but imagine a 60k stadium with 23k inside it?
If you hate the atmosphere now then it would be a million times worse.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Forever Blue wrote:If you dont think big, you never will be big, as the saying goes.

Thats the 'ammer!!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:17 pm

Karl wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:If you dont think big, you never will be big, as the saying goes.

Thats the 'ammer!!

Fact is, who knows what the situation will be in 20/30 years? If the club were in that sort of situation to have that capacity and it was not available because of "non ambition" then the planners of the here and now would be called shit.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:55 pm

It is ambitious, looking at a 60k stadium. But this club is ambitious.

I don't think some people realise the huge potential that Cardiff City has compared with other clubs in terms of growing into an established premiership club. The potential fan base of the club is just massive compared with most sides currently outside the top half of the premiership. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:41 am

annis although i previously left this forum, i have seen some topics on here recently and now feel the urge to return

although i agree it sounds good being able to have a 60,000 seater stadium..... however i totally disagree with you when you said about "if you dont think big ect" .........my response would be "DARLINGTON FC" they thought big, spent cash on a big brand new stadium. and BOOM now out of business,

the sad truth is, we have fickle fans, and will need those fickle fans to show up in their 1000's if we where to ever have a average of 50,000+ crowd...... we are struggling to sell out a semi-cup final against a team realisticly we should be beating

also we no longer are the team in wales to go and watch sadly, the swans have gone to the premiership, with less money in faster time, they play entertaining football, and by the looks of it, are going to become a strong premier league team within 5-10 years, and i fear we have now missed out on trying to attracted the fickle fans.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:03 am

we can not sell out for 2legs of a semi final cup game let alone 60k DREAMERS :roll:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:26 am

60k is a figure too high
to even increase the capacity to 35,000 we would
Need to be a premier league side

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:25 am

Some of you lot crack me up at times. 60,000? You might call it thinking big. I call it having delusions of grandeur. You've suffered this same affliction for time out of mind and it's got you absolutely nowhere. At least it's been toned down from "bigger than barcelona", to "as big as arsenal" :roll:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:41 am

i dont see at any point where he has said 60k will be happeningin the next year or two !!

cardiff hae the potential to get 50-60 k. not any time soon will we achieve this but the ratio of people in the city compared to other clubs, we have lots of room to improve

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:09 am

Johnny Rythmn wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:If you dont think big, you never will be big as the saying goes.

It'll take decades of success and we'll have to surpass the eggs.

Newcastle are football mental up there but they got shag all else but even a few bad results for them and they're down to 30k.

Bayern Munich or Man City don't even get 60k!

60K clubs are Man Utd, Barca, Real Madrida nd maybe AC Milan ...brand names, footballing giants and loved by plastics

German attendances are higher than most might think. Below are the actual figures for this season to date....... :shock: :shock:

Highest Average
Borussia Dortmund 80,720 80,365
Bayern Munich 69,000 69,000
Schalke 04 61,673 60,993
Stuttgart 60,469 57,047
Hamburg 55,797 51,767
Werder Bremen 42,068 40,862

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:13 am

magicdaps wrote:Some of you lot crack me up at times. 60,000? You might call it thinking big. I call it having delusions of grandeur. You've suffered this same affliction for time out of mind and it's got you absolutely nowhere. At least it's been toned down from "bigger than barcelona", to "as big as arsenal" :roll:

Who said we can/will be bigger than barcelona? :roll:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:49 am

jinks-rct wrote:
magicdaps wrote:Some of you lot crack me up at times. 60,000? You might call it thinking big. I call it having delusions of grandeur. You've suffered this same affliction for time out of mind and it's got you absolutely nowhere. At least it's been toned down from "bigger than barcelona", to "as big as arsenal" :roll:

Are you serious? Try googling "Sam Hammam bigger than Barcelona", and you'll get plenty of hits, one of which i've linked below.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -28983656/

This is my favourite snippit..

“Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they will say so. If their fans are really Welsh and want to see top class football in Wales, they should recognise that this (Cardiff) Welsh club is the only one with a cat’s chance in hell of making it."

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:04 am

magicdaps wrote:
jinks-rct wrote:

Are you serious? Try googling "Sam Hammam bigger than Barcelona", and you'll get plenty of hits, one of which i've linked below.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -28983656/

This is my favourite snippit..

“Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they will say so. If their fans are really Welsh and want to see top class football in Wales, they should recognise that this (Cardiff) Welsh club is the only one with a cat’s chance in hell of making it."

ah i seem to remember that horrible little man :twisted: .....

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:16 am

Annis we couldnt sell out Palace for a semi - yes potential is there but 60000 ?

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:16 am

Arsenal is situated in a city with a population of nearly 8 million people and metropolitan population of nearly 14 million, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Granted we all need to think big and have a vision, but then you have to be realistic.

Cardiff would struggle to draw 40k a week on an average basis, 60k is wishful thinking.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 am

Even If 40,000 people wanted to watch us regularly, wouldn't it be better to have a capacity of 35,000 than 60,000?

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:31 am

Deano1 wrote:Even If 40,000 people wanted to watch us regularly, wouldn't it be better to have a capacity of 35,000 than 60,000?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If my math is correct then I reckon a 40K stadium would work better in that sceanario.

I'd say money doesn't stay long in your pocket Deano :lol:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:34 am

Johnny Rythmn wrote:
Deano1 wrote:Even If 40,000 people wanted to watch us regularly, wouldn't it be better to have a capacity of 35,000 than 60,000?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If my math is correct then I reckon a 40K stadium would work better in that sceanario.

I'd say money doesn't stay long in your pocket Deano :lol:

a 40,000 stadium is not an option though Johnny, there are plans for a 35,000 ready to go as soon as we get promoted....a 60,000 stadium is the pipedream being talked about that we would never fill...

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:53 am

I think you would have one hell of a surprise, If City were to get to the prem and we could stay there for say 2/3 seasons and were playing good football. We would start to pull much more in. Now if we got into the top 4/5 and still playing good football and we had a few big names I think you would fined people coming out of the woodwork to City ground and all them kids you see now walking around with Pool & Gunners & Man U shirts on ,would now be dumping them shirts for the Bluebirds shirts. Many many years ago City could pull 40,000 + now in the City of Cardiff we have many more people living here and just out side the City. 60,000 ? we wouldnt be too far away.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:02 am

welshcitydragon wrote:

I think you would have one hell of a surprise, If City were to get to the prem and we could stay there for say 2/3 seasons and were playing good football. We would start to pull much more in. Now if we got into the top 4/5 and still playing good football and we had a few big names I think you would fined people coming out of the woodwork to City ground and all them kids you see now walking around with Pool & Gunners & Man U shirts on ,would now be dumping them shirts for the Bluebirds shirts. Many many years ago City could pull 40,000 + now in the City of Cardiff we have many more people living here and just out side the City. 60,000 ? we wouldnt be too far away.

I sort of agree with you there. i reckon if we do well we could get 35000 first season.
Second season if we are a good top ten team we could get 40 to 45000 but like you say if we are a top 6 team with a few big named players we could get 50000+ long way to go though :ayatollah: