Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY DEFENCE OF CHRIS COLEMAN

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:42 pm

I am willing to give Coleman a fair crack at the job, I wasn't exactly enthused by Speed's appointment but look at the job he eventually done! I feel too many people are being unfairly disrespectful of Coleman and I've read loads of comments such as 'since he's left Fulham he's done nothing!' but if you actually judge his managerial career thus far it in fact reads better than we are often led to believe!

Rather disrespectfully and without really knowing the full story behind his stint at Sociedad many people falsely consider Coleman's time in Spain as a failure, in actual fact Coleman was doing an excellent job at Sociedad when he was sacked! He wasn't sacked because of poor results and performances but purely for political reasons, at the time of his sacking Sociedad were flying high in the league looking well placed to seal promotion following a disastrous previous season and a huge rebuilding job, however following the election of a new club President who had his own ideas and own manager (a Basque) in mind Coleman was forced out of the club.

Coventry was perhaps the biggest blemish on his CV to date, despite flirting with the play-offs from time to time much of Coleman's Coventry tenure was spent in mid-table, it may sound rather unspectacular but look at Coventry's current league standing! Coleman managed Coventry under pretty similar financial circumstances and yet still managed to grind out results avoiding being seriously involved in a relegation scrap, in addition he was able to bring in some quality bargains such as Scott Dann from Walsall! I am not for one second saying Coleman done a great job at Coventry but merely stating Coleman justifies greater respect for stabilising what is clearly a sinking ship.

Fair do's to Coleman again in my opinion, unlike a lot of sacked managers he didn't sit on his arse expecting a job to come his way, he was proactive, going to Greece was a brave call on his part and although he wasn't there too long it was hardly his fault that economy in Greece is fucked! If you look at his time in Greece he comes away with some dignity, Larissa were 3rd in the table and looking well placed for promotion only for much of his first-team and backroom to be released! IMO Coleman will only be a better manager for his time in Greece.

Although his two stints abroad didn't last perhaps as long as Coleman would have liked it is important to remember that both of were ended purely for political reasons! Coleman can count himself very unlucky but will no doubt have become a better coach/manager as a result!

In terms of style of football many have criticised Coleman, as far as I am concerned you can only work with what you have and what we have at the moment is a very talented group of players who play an attractive brand of football, I feel confident that if Coleman was appointed Wales manager our recent progress would not only continue but we would also further develop and improve!

Yet despite this there are those who are comfortable with the idea of appointing some Dutch fitness coach to take us forward! Granted he is an expert in his field, but he has no managerial experience what so ever, granted he was part of the successful backroom staff under Speed, but that's my point it was UNDER Speed! He was under Hiddink - not Hiddink! In addition to his lack of experience both as a player and as a manager am I one of a minority who am pissed off with the way this guy conducts himself? he never shuts the f**k up, whether it be on Twitter or through any other form of media he's always passing judgement, for instance last season he was heavily critical of Roberto Mancini and his management at Man City, well done Raymond, spot on weren't you! they only finished 3rd and won the FA Cup last season and am currently top of the league! Above all his comments following Speed's death IMO were disgraceful! 'Speed's wish' what a prick! The guy should count himself very lucky if Coleman even keeps him on if he's appointed!

Granted I know the players appear to pissed off with the whole selection policy, but judging by what I've read it's not that they're so pro-Verhijen but more a case of feeling uninvolved in the process - this has been the FAW's biggest mistake thus far, but in their defence this process has occurred as a result of a set of unexpected and tragic circumstances so perhaps we should cut them some slack, afterall they appointed Speed! Given the straight choice I know who I would rather play for and manage my county - CHRIS COLEMAN, a patriotic Welsh man who has spent a career in the game, an international, a captain, a widely respected man among his peers and IMO the man who will lead us to the World Cup 2014 in memory of the late great Gary Speed!

Re: MY DEFENCE OF CHRIS COLEMAN

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:51 pm

Top post mate, agree with it, it was always going to be an extremely difficult job for the new man coming in. But I can't see many better choices than Coleman tbh

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Great post.....well said. :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Fair play - A lot of sense spoken there, I must say I wasn't over enthrauled at the prospect of Coleman taking over but you have changed my mind!
:ayatollah:

Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:41 pm

A good case for appointing Coleman.

But they would be better off with the current set-up with Bellamy in the player managers role,a truly passionate Welshman If them lot at the FAW appoint Coleman it will not be long before we have a situation that happened under Toshack with mass withdrawls from the squads.
Coleman has a history of using negative tactics & has been unproffesional in the past as he did at Palace.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:23 pm

croydoncymraeg wrote:A good case for appointing Coleman.

But they would be better off with the current set-up with Bellamy in the player managers role,a truly passionate Welshman If them lot at the FAW appoint Coleman it will not be long before we have a situation that happened under Toshack with mass withdrawls from the squads.
Coleman has a history of using negative tactics & has been unproffesional in the past as he did at Palace.

Have you watched alot of Greek 2nd Division football lately? If not how can you say that (not that I have but please enlighten me if you can justify your claim), while to knocking his proffesionalism from a long time ago seems very harsh!

Whilst I admire Bellamy and everything he has done for both Cardiff and Wales right now I think the best thing Bellers can do for his country is continue showing the level of performance and consistancy he has in the last 18 months.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:34 pm

if coleman was as good as you like to make out what the fook is he doing managing in the greek 2nd division?

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:45 pm

polo wrote:if coleman was as good as you like to make out what the fook is he doing managing in the greek 2nd division?

I suppose we could have said the same about Garry speed.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:26 pm

brick1964 wrote:
polo wrote:if coleman was as good as you like to make out what the fook is he doing managing in the greek 2nd division?

I suppose we could have said the same about Garry speed.

coleman has been in the management game a lot longer than speed and has done nothing. so much so he ends up in greek duvision 2.

speed was on the verge of big things

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:55 pm

SeanJr wrote:I am willing to give Coleman a fair crack at the job, I wasn't exactly enthused by Speed's appointment but look at the job he eventually done! I feel too many people are being unfairly disrespectful of Coleman and I've read loads of comments such as 'since he's left Fulham he's done nothing!' but if you actually judge his managerial career thus far it in fact reads better than we are often led to believe!

Rather disrespectfully and without really knowing the full story behind his stint at Sociedad many people falsely consider Coleman's time in Spain as a failure, in actual fact Coleman was doing an excellent job at Sociedad when he was sacked! He wasn't sacked because of poor results and performances but purely for political reasons, at the time of his sacking Sociedad were flying high in the league looking well placed to seal promotion following a disastrous previous season and a huge rebuilding job, however following the election of a new club President who had his own ideas and own manager (a Basque) in mind Coleman was forced out of the club.

Coventry was perhaps the biggest blemish on his CV to date, despite flirting with the play-offs from time to time much of Coleman's Coventry tenure was spent in mid-table, it may sound rather unspectacular but look at Coventry's current league standing! Coleman managed Coventry under pretty similar financial circumstances and yet still managed to grind out results avoiding being seriously involved in a relegation scrap, in addition he was able to bring in some quality bargains such as Scott Dann from Walsall! I am not for one second saying Coleman done a great job at Coventry but merely stating Coleman justifies greater respect for stabilising what is clearly a sinking ship.

Fair do's to Coleman again in my opinion, unlike a lot of sacked managers he didn't sit on his arse expecting a job to come his way, he was proactive, going to Greece was a brave call on his part and although he wasn't there too long it was hardly his fault that economy in Greece is fucked! If you look at his time in Greece he comes away with some dignity, Larissa were 3rd in the table and looking well placed for promotion only for much of his first-team and backroom to be released! IMO Coleman will only be a better manager for his time in Greece.

Although his two stints abroad didn't last perhaps as long as Coleman would have liked it is important to remember that both of were ended purely for political reasons! Coleman can count himself very unlucky but will no doubt have become a better coach/manager as a result!

In terms of style of football many have criticised Coleman, as far as I am concerned you can only work with what you have and what we have at the moment is a very talented group of players who play an attractive brand of football, I feel confident that if Coleman was appointed Wales manager our recent progress would not only continue but we would also further develop and improve!

Yet despite this there are those who are comfortable with the idea of appointing some Dutch fitness coach to take us forward! Granted he is an expert in his field, but he has no managerial experience what so ever, granted he was part of the successful backroom staff under Speed, but that's my point it was UNDER Speed! He was under Hiddink - not Hiddink! In addition to his lack of experience both as a player and as a manager am I one of a minority who am pissed off with the way this guy conducts himself? he never shuts the f**k up, whether it be on Twitter or through any other form of media he's always passing judgement, for instance last season he was heavily critical of Roberto Mancini and his management at Man City, well done Raymond, spot on weren't you! they only finished 3rd and won the FA Cup last season and am currently top of the league! Above all his comments following Speed's death IMO were disgraceful! 'Speed's wish' what a prick! The guy should count himself very lucky if Coleman even keeps him on if he's appointed!

Granted I know the players appear to pissed off with the whole selection policy, but judging by what I've read it's not that they're so pro-Verhijen but more a case of feeling uninvolved in the process - this has been the FAW's biggest mistake thus far, but in their defence this process has occurred as a result of a set of unexpected and tragic circumstances so perhaps we should cut them some slack, afterall they appointed Speed! Given the straight choice I know who I would rather play for and manage my county - CHRIS COLEMAN, a patriotic Welsh man who has spent a career in the game, an international, a captain, a widely respected man among his peers and IMO the man who will lead us to the World Cup 2014 in memory of the late great Gary Speed!

great post.im english but have took a interest more in wales since iv been on this board .gary speed did a fine job.i would and have said the dutch fellow should have had a shout .if its c.c then good luck to him.its fair to say that if you takr fulham out of the equation the quality of players he,s been dealing with havn,t been top drawer.so perhaps his style of football has been governed by that.cc said after the jack game he will continue in the same vein as gary speed.the players he has to choose from are very decent so he can continue in an exspansive manner.i wish you well

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:31 am

Have you watched alot of Greek 2nd Division football lately? If not how can you say that (not that I have but please enlighten me if you can justify your claim), while to knocking his proffesionalism from a long time ago seems very harsh!

Not had the pleasure, I have seen Coventry city when they played against Palace they were dour & negative on all them occasions, & this seems to be the view of his former teams fans as well.

I would also like to see Bellamy carrying on playing for Wales but with Coleman at the helm he would probably retire.