Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I think we need 2 wingers this window

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:51 pm

Why? Because I think with our current 4-5-1 system, a middle 3 of Whittingham, Gunnarsson and Cowie moving inside with them would give us the best midfield in the league. I honestly feel we would dominate the midfield against any team if we had those 3 in the middle. Now if we can get 2 quick, skillful, quality, hard working wingers either side of these 3 to support Miller, I am confident we will go up. With Ralls, Kiss, McPhail and Conway ready to step in to the midfield area if needed, we will then definitely have the strength in depth to cover the midfield area, plus Mason can also slot into midfield if necessary. I think if we sign 2 wingers, we will have the squad to go up. :ayatollah:

Re: I think we need 2 wingers this window

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Why? Because I think with our current 4-5-1 system, a middle 3 of Whittingham, Gunnarsson and Cowie moving inside with them would give us the best midfield in the league. I honestly feel we would dominate the midfield against any team if we had those 3 in the middle. Now if we can get 2 quick, skillful, quality, hard working wingers either side of these 3 to support Miller, I am confident we will go up. With Ralls, Kiss, McPhail and Conway ready to step in to the midfield area if needed, we will then definitely have the strength in depth to cover the midfield area, plus Mason can also slot into midfield if necessary. I think if we sign 2 wingers, we will have the squad to go up. :ayatollah:

i agree, cowie was excellent for watford behind graham ...

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Why? Because I think with our current 4-5-1 system, a middle 3 of Whittingham, Gunnarsson and Cowie moving inside with them would give us the best midfield in the league. I honestly feel we would dominate the midfield against any team if we had those 3 in the middle. Now if we can get 2 quick, skillful, quality, hard working wingers either side of these 3 to support Miller, I am confident we will go up. With Ralls, Kiss, McPhail and Conway ready to step in to the midfield area if needed, we will then definitely have the strength in depth to cover the midfield area, plus Mason can also slot into midfield if necessary. I think if we sign 2 wingers, we will have the squad to go up. :ayatollah:

i agree, cowie was excellent for watford behind graham ...

I honestly think Cowie is wasted out on the right. Whittingham's quality, Cowie's box to box engine and Gunnarsson's bite would be a perfect combination imo.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Totally agree mate, Noone and Templeton would do! If theres change left then a striker too to challenge or replace Kenny if required! (loan)

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:04 pm

Cowie is not a right midfielder or left midfielder. Hes a centre midfielder simple.

Plus Kebe, Templeton, Noone. If we were 2 get 2 out of them 3 that would be outstanding and we would be challenging really hard until the end of the season! :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:06 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Cowie is not a right midfielder or left midfielder. Hes a centre midfielder simple.

Plus Kebe, Templeton, Noone. If we were 2 get 2 out of them 3 that would be outstanding and we would be challenging really hard until the end of the season! :ayatollah:

spot on, just read Carls thread on templeton and looks like he is ruled out! Kebe and Noone = pace and pace! :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:08 pm

Tom Butler is available for free :thumbup:

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:08 pm

boyo1927 wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Cowie is not a right midfielder or left midfielder. Hes a centre midfielder simple.

spot on, just read Carls thread on templeton and looks like he is ruled out! Kebe and Noone = pace and pace! :ayatollah:

kebe would be a good signing.. but i reckon both reading and brighton are looking for 1 mil each respectively ..

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:42 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:

kebe would be a good signing.. but i reckon both reading and brighton are looking for 1 mil each respectively ..

After today's performance I think we need to bring in a winger pretty sharpish. We battled hard today but created very little. I honestly think we should continue with 4-5-1, as that's what's given us a great defensive record. I think a middle 3 of Gunnarsson's bite, Whittingham's class and Cowie's box to box engine would get the better of any midfield in the division. We need 2 wingers either side of these 3 to create for Miller. Kebe and Noone would both be fine, although I still find it strange why we are after Noone ahead of Will Buckley, who would be my personal choice.

The Malaysians have promised Malky funds to strengthen this month and I would like to think they will back Malky with a couple of million. Personally I would love us to stick to 4-5-1, stick to being well organised and hard to beat and bring in 2 wingers to give us the extra pace and creativity we are sometimes lacking. Miller had to feed off scraps today and I felt sorry for him. Malky can take us up but the Malaysians need to do their bit and back Malky as well, and I'm sure they will. :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:30 pm

If we get 2 wingers we may as well Cash in on Whits, he doesn't work hard enough to be part of a three man midfield. Not that I am advocating selling Whits, its just too late in the season to change to a 433.

Todays formation suits us best, I would just want to play Kenny in Masons role and get a genuine centre forward. I doubt we could afford Ched Evans or Jason Roberts.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:33 pm

If we get 2 wingers we may as well Cash in on Whits, he doesn't work hard enough to be part of a three man midfield. Not that I am advocating selling Whits, its just too late in the season to change to a 433.

Todays formation suits us best, I would just want to play Kenny in Masons role and get a genuine centre forward. I doubt we could afford Ched Evans or Jason Roberts.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:17 pm

llan bluebird wrote:If we get 2 wingers we may as well Cash in on Whits, he doesn't work hard enough to be part of a three man midfield. Not that I am advocating selling Whits, its just too late in the season to change to a 433.

If you don't think Whitts works hard enough in a middle 3, we would be buggered if he was part of a middle 2 in a 4-4-2 system then! Whitts has always been one of the highest ground coverers on the pitch, people just look at his body language and think he's lazy. If you watch him closely you will see he's one of the hardest working players on the pitch.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:37 pm

I don't want us to go 442..

Whitts drifts in and out of games. In our current system he is our luxury item and its working. Two wingers is such a change for us. We are 2 pts better off than last season, why change the system ? Upgrade personnel definitely, Mason has been a bonus, Ruddy hasn't got going, but this is the area we need to upgrade. One decent centre forward

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:31 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I don't want us to go 442..

Whitts drifts in and out of games. In our current system he is our luxury item and its working. Two wingers is such a change for us. We are 2 pts better off than last season, why change the system ? Upgrade personnel definitely, Mason has been a bonus, Ruddy hasn't got going, but this is the area we need to upgrade. One decent centre forward

Personally I think we are currently playing 4-5-1 with 2 wingers. Start of the season those 2 wingers were Conway and Cowie, although Cowie tucks in more as he isn't an out and out winger. Lately it's been Ralls or Mason on the left when we play 4-5-1, but lately it's been a sort of 4-4-1-1 with Mason just behind Miller, Ralls on the left, Cowie on the right and Gunnarsson and Whitts in the middle. That's the way I see it, we are playing a system with wide men I think unless I am missing something? If you don't think we are playing with any wide men, what system do you think we are currently playing?

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:00 am

What I like with MM is his ability to tinker with the system but
4-1 (Whits free)3-1-1.

The three in midfield have started to play narrower, with the Full backs providing the little natural width we get

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:51 pm

llan bluebird wrote:What I like with MM is his ability to tinker with the system but
4-1 (Whits free)3-1-1.

The three in midfield have started to play narrower, with the Full backs providing the little natural width we get

You are spot on that we are playing narrower and we rely on Taylor and especially McNaughton to overlap to provide width. But I still think this is because our current wide men of Cowie and Ralls aren't out and out wingers who hug the touch line and prefer to tuck in. I still think we would be able to play the same system if we brought 2 wingers in. The 3 in the middle can then be Whitts in a free role picking the ball up from deep, spraying it around a creating, then Gunnarsson and Cowie doing the donkey work. I do take your point that we are currently playing a 4-1-3-1-1 system of sorts mind.