Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

HONEST VERDICTS ON TONIGHTS PERFORMANCE ...

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:26 pm

crystal palace as we know a tough side to breakdown, big, physical WELL organised defence, there biggest threat is set pieces...
but we were never going to score more than 2 goals..

the fact we dont have a striker with the physical ability to cause their team any kind of ariel threat will play a major part in the return Leg.

if we play the same team the likely outcome will be 1-1 or 1-0 a cardiff at best,

unless its a mixture of good luck, and sloppy mistakes.
it's probably going to extra

Re: HONEST VERDICTS ON TONIGHTS PERFORMANCE ...

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:29 pm

Thought we were robbed with miller's goal, but credit to palace who defended very well, should make for an interestin 2nd leg

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Think tonights performance also shows that we need at least one Winger because we didnt really have any width. We are playing far too narrow at the moment and whilst that has worked in the majority of games so far, unfortunately Palace dealt with us quite easily tonight. A couple of wide men and watch us fly.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:41 pm

supercraig039 wrote:Think tonights performance also shows that we need at least one Winger because we didnt really have any width. We are playing far too narrow at the moment and whilst that has worked in the majority of games so far, unfortunately Palace dealt with us quite easily tonight. A couple of wide men and watch us fly.

a;sp the fact at times Miller looked more dangerous out wide than our wingers,
Whittingham having a quiet spell as well, people have questioned is he tired.. ? but I think its just part of his game,
sometimes he isn't at his best and this is why regardless of how good he is, people were still doubting him up until this season

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:28 am

i dont think a big target man is what we need personally!

i think we lacked that bit of doggedness? kiss gives in the midfield and for Miller to be able to play further up the pitch rather than have to come looking for the ball all the time!............battle and control the midfield with a 4-5-1, free whitts up and feed Miller into his feet in the danger zone rather than anything aerial at all against that big defence and well take them apart at our place :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:33 am

For most of the first half I thought you were by far the better side. A very good footballing team without being boring.

Where the f**k did they get the analysts from?

You could of been 2-0 up in the first 20 mins. Yeah a sloppy goal but Id take comfort from your home form. You should sell out and have the place bouncing. Cant believe some of the negativity I am reading here and elsewhere......jesus lads you demand too much!

As for you getting an out and out winger - you play 4-5-1, not sure you can do with a luxury skillful winger who drifts in and out of the game.

Good luck, its still there to be won 2-0 /3-0

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:51 am

forest lad wrote:For most of the first half I thought you were by far the better side. A very good footballing team without being boring.

You could of been 2-0 up in the first 20 mins. Yeah a sloppy goal but Id take comfort from your home form. You should sell out and have the place bouncing. Cant believe some of the negativity I am reading here and elsewhere......jesus lads you demand too much!

As for you getting an out and out winger - you play 4-5-1, not sure you can do with a luxury skillful winger who drifts in and out of the game.

Nothing is ever good enough for some of our fans.
I actually dread the prem because of this.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:59 am

forest lad wrote:For most of the first half I thought you were by far the better side. A very good footballing team without being boring.

I think the possession must have been 80/20% to us in the first 20 but we didn't make it count,palace have a good back line but I believe if we still had Burke and another lad to run at em down the line it would ave been complete,have no clue why millers goal was disallowed and neither does Malky,would not have been to disappointed with 1-0 away before the game.wish Earnie had 20 mins to prove himself again....Game on I say..... :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 am

Honestly now, it's only half time.

Palace will come to the CCS to defend and counter attack and I've a feeling that whoever gets the first goal will win the tie.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:17 am

Johnny Rythmn wrote:Honestly now, it's only half time.

Palace will come to the CCS to defend and counter attack and I've a feeling that whoever gets the first goal will win the tie.

I think you may be right but even then we have a chance, our second 11 were 2-0 down to WBA and came bk so who knows

Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:40 am

2blue2handle wrote:

I think you may be right but even then we have a chance, our second 11 were 2-0 down to WBA and came bk so who knows

Agreed. :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:52 am

Palace parked the bus at home so we all know whats coming in 2 weeks time. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

The thing is we now have to do something we have never done before and thats beat Palace in a Cup match,but I have no doubt we can do just that at home.

We must keep them out at set pieces though as that basically is their biggest offensive threat and it worked for them last night. We must not concede at home because I have a feeling away goals will count if scores are tied after extra time.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:55 am

Spot on mate. Freedman is proving himself to be a tactical mogul as far as counter attacking play is concerned. Provided we can keep Zaha and Scannell quiet on the wings then that will force Palace down the middle all game where our 4-5-1 will help stop them.

It's going to be tough though. I didn't really want us to be in this position where Palace are defending a lead because if there is one thing they are good at, it's defending leads! We are awesome at home though and I reckon with a capacity CCS behind the lads in 2 weeks we can get it on. Malky will have the lads up for it so it is down to us fans to bring the performance of the season as well. :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:35 am

To a point, I was impressed with Palace last night. They soaked up a lot of pressure from us early on and then hit is with the mother of all sucker punches. In the last 20 minutes their defending was superb and did to us what we do to the majority of teams we play.

There wasn't too many players that I cam say played well for us to be honest. Bar Taylor, the back 5's distribution was woeful and I didn't understand why we lumped it to Kenny every time, against their centre backs? By hitting it up to Kenny we also bypassed our most influential players...Whitts and Gunnar. So much has gone through them this season so I don't know why we suddenly changes it.

For the first time this season I can honestly say that I had no ides if Cowie was out there or not. We lacked pace and width massively and in the second leg we need width to get behind them more. A back four of Parr, gardener, McCarthy and ramage is not great and we need to keep the ball down to feet and we'll be fine.

All in all, it was disappointing but I still enjoyed my trip to Selhurst despite it being an absolute dump

Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:48 am

ccfc_cotta wrote:crystal palace as we know a tough side to breakdown, big, physical WELL organised defence, there biggest threat is set pieces...
but we were never going to score more than 2 goals..

the fact we dont have a striker with the physical ability to cause their team any kind of ariel threat will play a major part in the return Leg.

if we play the same team the likely outcome will be 1-1 or 1-0 a cardiff at best,

unless its a mixture of good luck, and sloppy mistakes.
it's probably going to extra

the way city started i thought it was just a question of time before we scored but palace came into more and scored just at the right time ,agreed palace were well organised at the back and were dealing comfortably with what city was throwing at them for me i thought we needed someone who was prepared to have a crack at goal from outside the box

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:50 pm

I think in general we played well
Firstly Heaton, his mistake allowed the goal, but he also made some good decisions, coming out for the ball. I think he often played the ball too far up field, giving possesion away.
Then the disallowed goal, i can not see why but whats done is done.

So a sloppy goal given away, caused by giving too many free kicks away in dangerous places, and mistake by keeper.
They defend well, but we still got the ball in the net, okay was disallowed but shows we can break that defence.

To go up there and get a 1-0 deficit is a okay result, good result would be a 0-0 draw and a win or score draw would be awesome, so thats where we are, an okay result.
2nd leg, Our team will have plenty of time to anylyse the game and find ways to break them down.
we broke their defence in the leaque, and last night (disallowed goal) so plenty to be optermistic about.

They will come down and try to get an early goal, remember away goals do count in Carling Cup.
Whether they get a goal down here or not 2nd half if they are up, they will shut up shop and just defend.

We need to make CCS a fortress of noise for our team on the 2nd leg, belief in the stands will help the team.
We were unlucky last night to me it was 1-1 but officials didn't give it, but that would have been an away goal and a draw and awesome result.
On some forums you would think we were 3-0 down, we are only 1 goal down and at home for 2nd leg.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:30 pm

Palace fan here, in peace. Respect to your Club which I rate as a very good one and may the best team reach Wembley (I'll be rooting for you if you do it) but I just wanted to clear something up about last night though. I am really irritated about this. IT WAS NOT A DISALLOWED GOAL!!! In the same way that we often see a player break through on goal, be given offside (RIGHTLY OR WRONGLY) and put the ball into the net, often amid ironic cheers and possibly a booking, these aren't generally considered disallowed goals. Rightly so too. I was behind the goal in question and the referees whistle was very loud and some time before the ball reached the "scorer". I didn't even twitch in my seat when the ball hit the back of the net. The ball, i would say, had barely even entered the 6 yard box when the whistle went. I had stopped caring and our players, playing to the whistle, would not have reacted as intensely as normal, having heard it. Also, said "scorer" 100 per cent heard the whistle and was under no pressure in scoring.
The Cardiff manager is making alot of it because he wants your lot to feel like you weren't really beaten by us and therefore should be very confident about the return. I've got news for him. You were beaten by us. You lost the battle but who knows about the war. Let's see.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Was unhappy from the start he played Ralls when Kiss would have been a better option and would have given Earnie the last 15 mins particularly as we were pressing but in Malky we trust

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Eagle99 wrote:Palace fan here, in peace. Respect to your Club which I rate as a very good one and may the best team reach Wembley (I'll be rooting for you if you do it) but I just wanted to clear something up about last night though. I am really irritated about this. IT WAS NOT A DISALLOWED GOAL!!! In the same way that we often see a player break through on goal, be given offside (RIGHTLY OR WRONGLY) and put the ball into the net, often amid ironic cheers and possibly a booking, these aren't generally considered disallowed goals. Rightly so too. I was behind the goal in question and the referees whistle was very loud and some time before the ball reached the "scorer". I didn't even twitch in my seat when the ball hit the back of the net. The ball, i would say, had barely even entered the 6 yard box when the whistle went. I had stopped caring and our players, playing to the whistle, would not have reacted as intensely as normal, having heard it. Also, said "scorer" 100 per cent heard the whistle and was under no pressure in scoring.
The Cardiff manager is making alot of it because he wants your lot to feel like you weren't really beaten by us and therefore should be very confident about the return. I've got news for him. You were beaten by us. You lost the battle but who knows about the war. Let's see.

That's the way I saw the 'disallowed goal'

In all honesty I believe Mike Dean had made up his mind to blow for an infringement before the ball was kicked because of the handbags which went on before the ball was delievered.

So really the point should be about bad refereeing rather than a disallowed goal.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Ref gave free kick as wasnt a corner - backfired on him and us

Earnie shold have had 20 minutes unless he is lined up to move on - error by MM maybe ?

Ralls had his moment but Kiss should have played second half , not enough changes , although if palace score 1 we need 3 becuase of away goals

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:42 pm

Thought we played well, just lacked a bit of clinicalility (dont think its a word, but its sounds good) in the final 3rd.
fans were great, both fans created a great atmo.
A solid honest away performance that another day if we had won 2-0 no one would have bat an eyelid.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:44 pm

11 Corners no goals. Wtf.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Excellent first 30 minutes for Cardiff, Palace scored out of the blue,just before half-time, I thought we were poor the second half against a poor Palace side. They were there for the taking.