Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" JANUARY TELLS YOU A LOT "

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:08 am

January tells you a lot about how your club will do in my opinion for the rest of the season, except for the odd club who is a real surprise,but it does not happen that often.

The clubs who will usually be challenging for promotion and come May will be there or there about.

So far
Leeds gets Tottenham winger Andros Townsend on loan for the rest of this season.

Blackpool get Liverpool centre-half Danny Wilson with the same deal.

We need 3 or 4 players, my strong opinion to maintain top 6. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " JANUARY TELLS YOU A LOT "

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:10 am

January is a time for the desperate, are we desperate? I would say not at the moment but ideally we need 2 new who can play in the first 11 to give us a strong chance.

Irrelevant of who comes in it would be great to lose the likes of Keinan, Gypes, Taiwo, Parkin and maybe a few more, these players will never play for us again and need to lose them off the wage bill.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:13 am

2blue2handle wrote:January is a time for the desperate, are we desperate? I would say not at the moment but ideally we need 2 new who can play in the first 11 to give us a strong chance.

Irrelevant of who comes in it would be great to lose the likes of Keinan, Gypes, Taiwo, Parkin and maybe a few more, these players will never play for us again and need to lose them off the wage bill.

Luke, We are weak in strength wise in our squad, even Malky stated if we want promotion we need to strengthen, don't you think he would love to get promotion ?

I would've liked Townsend as one of the positions we most need strengthening is left midfield, or left wing. Going on what I've seen him do for Spurs in the Europa league tells me that he'd have been a useful signing, certainly.

Wilson is obviously a talented lad and I'm surprised he's not had more of a chance under Dalglish. He's disappeared off the radar a little bit to tell the truth. I don't think we need cover in defence at all though; midfield and up front is where we need reinforcements.

I agree 100% I did want townsend gutted to hear leeds signed him personaly I'd be happy if we signed kebe, rhodes or roberts up front and either jake livermore on loan or the talented youngster ravel morrison on loan and I was gutted when peter halmosi left hull and returned to hungry would of liked him in a city shirt

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:19 am

Forever Blue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:January is a time for the desperate, are we desperate? I would say not at the moment but ideally we need 2 new who can play in the first 11 to give us a strong chance.

Luke, We are weak in strength wise in our squad, even Malky stated if we want promotion we need to strengthen, don't you think he would love to get promotion ?

I think we need two players.
I think we have enough players just to many in the same position, to many defenders and not enough in midfield and upfront.

Problem is that In jan you can buy one or two very average players with say 2m, that same 2m in the summer can build a squad.

I believe we can get top 6 anyway but if we can get in 2 players we have a much greater chance.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:22 am

Andros Townsend is poor IYAM. Didn't do much at the Swich.

Wilson will do well.

Also Donny signed Dave Buttton from Spurs on loan. Great young keeper.

It is troubling to me that we aren't aking advantage of at least the loan windows, with so many clubs out of cups, Europe etc.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:25 am

Damned Yank wrote:Andros Townsend is poor IYAM. Didn't do much at the Swich.

Wilson will do well.

Also Donny signed Dave Buttton from Spurs on loan. Great young keeper.

It is troubling to me that we aren't aking advantage of at least the loan windows, with so many clubs out of cups, Europe etc.

January will tell us a lot in my opinion. :ayatollah:

I really hope we strengthen well. :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:32 am

hopefully we can get a few good cheap or free transfers.. we dont need to spend millions or ridiculous wages :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:37 am

You think most clubs can get value in January then?

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:07 am

Midfield general wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:January is a time for the desperate,

What a load of rubbish!!! Janaury is the time to review the clubs position and see what the next step should be.

Just a few of who signed in last years transfer window are the likes of: Darren Bent to Villa, Steve Sidwell to Fulham, Luis Suarez to Liverpool, Edin Dzeko to Man City, Hatem BenArfa to Newcastle, Jamie O'Hara to Wolves and others. These weren't desperate signings they were signings which the club felt could all benefit their squads in the future.

They are all Prem sides. Who have we signed any good in the January transfer window in previous seasons. I would be happy with a winger and another up and coming youngster like Mason. Forget the has beens with ego's.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:13 am

Annis, I have to agree. January is a pivotal month both on and off the pitch. I said in a previous thread that the sadistic side of me and the dreamer wants us to keep this set of players so that those who have got us this far so far can finish what they started. However, the realist wants us to strengthen.

I cannot help but remember this time last year and we felt that we could really push on with a couple of signings. We didn't get the players we wanted like Gabbidon and Wilson but we did sign some players but they were second rate and ultimately, it was these players that contributed to us bottling it.

This month will play a big part in depicting our season and provided we get the right players in then I think we can make the playoffs and, for once, I'd fancy us against anyone in the playoffs. Saying that, I would much rather us not sign anybody than sign the wrong players.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:26 am

I agree that a player or two of quality would benefit us, but I'm inclined to agree with Luke! We need to ship the dead wood out more than we need players in, they are a drain on the wage budget! Annis, (and others) you have been saying we NEED players since September but I've only noticed us climbing the league! In fact pending results today we could be sat in an AUTOMATIC promotion spot (2nd)! If the club DID get two maybe three extra players in when the fans called for them months back we would probably still be in a similar position now but spent an extra £300,000 in wages, so really Malky's saving the club money but still performing and coming away from games with results!

Personally I would like to see what other fans want - a striker, and a quick winger. But if we can't get the players (targets) we're after - I'd rather us not throw the cash at any hold Tom dick or Harry just out of desperation.

I believe we have something special going on this season under Malky, so I'll go with the flow and trust any decision he makes!

3pts today too :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:28 am

The Championship teams that strengthen wisely in the January window are generally the ones that get promoted. I pointed this out in a communication to TG early in November and his reply was that they were well aware what had to be done in January. So keep the faith lads :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Last edited by ihatealiens on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:28 am

January does tell you a lot there is no doubt about that but the main thing it has told us in the last 4 years is that 5 of the 6 clubs in the playoff positions at the end of January have at least made the playoffs. The 6th team has been placed no lower than 8th so right now I will say again we are on our way to the playoffs.

Having said that we are getting so very close to being able to make a push on the automatics, but not with our squad as it is at the moment as we have a whole hose of players who are unlikely to feature as 2Blue has mentioned.

I don't agree that January is a month for the desperate though I understand some clubs do make desperate signings, but were Newcastle desperate when they spent about £3m of Williamson, Best and Routledge when they were signed in Janary a few years ago.

I think this is a huge month for us with the opportunity to move on players who are unlikely to feature again and to get the 3 or 4 players to give us the depth and quality to push for the automatics.

Start with McGugan. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:36 am

Gary, a win today is big though isn't it, it's not just 3pts it's the prospect of us being right up there and looking like a team in an attractive position to attract other players to the club, the league has to take priority this month to be able to bring those higher quality players here (hopefully!)

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:50 am

Merlin wrote:Gary, a win today is big though isn't it, it's not just 3pts it's the prospect of us being right up there and looking like a team in an attractive position to attract other players to the club, the league has to take priority this month to be able to bring those higher quality players here (hopefully!)

Craig I'm not normally that confident about any game with Reading but I have a good feeling about the game today because of our current form and the referee. I know people think I'm mad but I knew we wouldn't lose on Saturday because we have only ever lost 1 game with Andy Woolmer as ref. Reading must be crying in their cornflakes over Chris Foy. :lol: :lol:

Out of the 24 League games in Cardiff the most consistent result is 2-2. Our record victory is 5-0 on 8th November 1930 whilst Readings record win is 5-2 on 8th April 2006.

One other interesting stat for the game tomorrow relates to the referee, Chris Foy, as with him as match referee we have won 3 of 11 games 27%, whilst Reading have won 1 of 13 games 7% :o :o :o

If that figure is surprising Reading have lost 8 of the 13 games (67%) :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: with Chris Foy as referee.

3-1 to the Bluebirds.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:50 am

Forever Blue wrote:January tells you a lot about how your club will do in my opinion for the rest of the season, except for the odd club who is a real surprise,but it does not happen that often.

The clubs who will usually be challenging for promotion and come May will be there or there about.

So far
Leeds gets Tottenham winger Andros Townsend on loan for the rest of this season.

We need 3 or 4 players, my strong opinion to maintain top 6. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Also tells you who can't sleep!

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:56 am

ihatealiens wrote:The Championship teams that strengthen wisely in the January window are generally the ones that get promoted. I pointed this out in a communication to TG early in November and his reply was that they were well aware what had to be done in January. So keep the faith lads :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Totally agree. :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:56 am

Zabier wrote:Annis, I have to agree. January is a pivotal month both on and off the pitch. I said in a previous thread that the sadistic side of me and the dreamer wants us to keep this set of players so that those who have got us this far so far can finish what they started. However, the realist wants us to strengthen.

I cannot help but remember this time last year and we felt that we could really push on with a couple of signings. We didn't get the players we wanted like Gabbidon and Wilson but we did sign some players but they were second rate and ultimately, it was these players that contributed to us bottling it.

This month will play a big part in depicting our season and provided we get the right players in then I think we can make the playoffs and, for once, I'd fancy us against anyone in the playoffs. Saying that, I would much rather us not sign anybody than sign the wrong players.

Spot on Steve. :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:25 am

Totally agree - yet again we are nearly a complete challenging team BUT 2-3 injuries etc and we are weak ....................2-3 new players in and we will be challenging - Keep injury free for play offs and final and we may be there

simple to type though :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:30 am

Well i know one thing for sure we will see by the end of the month what the owners intensions are this year for sure i think we are flat broke myself for many reasons :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:08 pm

I would say we need 3 no less and of course any more would be great. I just hope Malky get it right who ever he brings in , if anyone . I would feel alot better if them above had given Malky maybe 1.5 /2 mill for this window. The problme is as Malky said they really push up the price in the Jan window. cos other clubs know clubs in our position are going for the top. :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:42 pm

I have to ponder this question, if January is so pivitol how the hell did we reach the Play-Off Final in 2010 after the fiasco of the Golden Ticket Scam in January of that year?

Correct me if I'm wrong but we didn't sign anyone during that month because of the transfer embargo and went within and inch of making it to the Barclay's Premier League.

Yet last year we had several signings in January and beyond and flunked out at the semi-final stage.

How you use your squad along with luck and determination are just as important as bringing in new faces. That said I wouldn't say no to a couple of players, one being an out and out winger.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:January tells you a lot about how your club will do in my opinion for the rest of the season, except for the odd club who is a real surprise,but it does not happen that often.

So far

Both of those side are on a bad run and losing games and going down the table, we are better than both of them with or without their loans, plus it may upset the dressing room, these new boys my not have the right attitude, like that waster from Bolton last year...........

Malky will get what we need, KEEP THE FAITH.....

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:05 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I have to ponder this question, if January is so pivitol how the hell did we reach the Play-Off Final in 2010 after the fiasco of the Golden Ticket Scam in January of that year?

Correct me if I'm wrong but we didn't sign anyone during that month because of the transfer embargo and went within and inch of making it to the Barclay's Premier League.

Yet last year we had several signings in January and beyond and flunked out at the semi-final stage.

How you use your squad along with luck and determination are just as important as bringing in new faces. That said I wouldn't say no to a couple of players, one being an out and out winger.

Spot on Tony that is how I see it.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:16 pm

Midfield general wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:You think most clubs can get value in January then?

Alot depends on the length of the contact the player has with the club. Yes you can get value if the players contract is running out in the summer because that is the only time left when the club can get something for the player.

I still dont see any value as they have to be replaced, we have been offered 4m for Jay and 6m for Ledley in Jan before and we have turned it down despite contracts running low.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:31 pm

Midfield general wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:January is a time for the desperate,

What a load of rubbish!!! Janaury is the time to review the clubs position and see what the next step should be.

Just a few of who signed in last years transfer window are the likes of: Darren Bent to Villa, Steve Sidwell to Fulham, Luis Suarez to Liverpool, Edin Dzeko to Man City, Hatem BenArfa to Newcastle, Jamie O'Hara to Wolves and others. These weren't desperate signings they were signings which the club felt could all benefit their squads in the future.

Some of these signings were desperate ones though, especially Villa's signing ov Bent and as well as Liverpool signing Suarez, they also signed Carroll, who has so far failed to make the grade!

You've also forgotten Chelsea's signing of Torres, who has also been a failure to date and a waste of at least £40,000,000 of the 50 they paid for him!

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:00 pm

So far

Frustrating innit. I am just hoping that Malky has got his targets and has already
spoken to the Clubs and is just biding his time.

I'll be gutted if he dont get anyone

On the plus side I do believe him when he says he will only sign a certain type
of player, one that will fit in with his whole ethos. So far his signings have been
pretty remarkable.

As you say Annis, two or three players and we will fly. With two or three more
'Malky type players'.... the skys the limit.

Tell you what though mate, i dread to think what will happen at West Ham if they
fail to go up this season. I think they will, but it really is shit or bust for them

Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:04 pm

taffyapple wrote:

So far

Frustrating innit. I am just hoping that Malky has got his targets and has already
spoken to the Clubs and is just biding his time.

I'll be gutted if he dont get anyone

On the plus side I do believe him when he says he will only sign a certain type
of player, one that will fit in with his whole ethos. So far his signings have been
pretty remarkable.

As you say Annis, two or three players and we will fly. With two or three more
'Malky type players'.... the skys the limit.

Tell you what though mate, i dread to think what will happen at West Ham if they
fail to go up this season. I think they will, but it really is shit or bust for them

Dave, City were awesome today v Reading, we really can do it. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66945 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: