Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

COULD WHITTS BE SOLD THIS MONTH?

Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:51 pm

Every player has a price and Peter Whittingham is no different. Malky has said Whitts is not for sale but what figure do you think would Whitts become sellable at?

I am not advocating selling Whitts but there is a a few things to consider if a bigger offer came in.

Ray Ranson (sports asset group) receives money from any transfer sale off any player sold, could the board of directors see a big sale as an opportunity to settle/reduce the debt without having to pay the debt off the conventional way. I don't know the finer details of the Ranson debt but I would be surprised if there was no end date of when the debt is to be settled.

Thinking along those lines could any funds raised be used to settle/reduce this debt plus also giving the manager funds to spend this transfer window, which would coincide,IMO, with living within our means and continuing the business plan of creating a sound financial footing for the club.

The debt to Sports Asset is £3.5million I believe.

So from a political point of view what figure would you want to receive for Whitts if he was sold on?

Re: COULD WHITTS BE SOLD THIS MONTH?

Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:54 pm

I'd want at least £5.5 million but I wouldn't really be happy unless we got 6 for him.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:55 pm

27 yo champiobship player. Get 3-4 mil tops.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:57 pm

polo wrote:27 yo champiobship player. Get 3-4 mil tops.

Sadly I agree, I'd be very surprised if we got what I think he's worth to us : (

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Given that Sordell and Rhodes have a price of around £5 million

how much would it cost us to buy back mathews and mcormack?
(i expect that would be the money we get for Whitts)

Selling Whitts is not really worth it in the long run.

It would ruin the team dimension and also show up cardiff as a little club.
This will and does impact on fans not going to games and buying merchanidise in the future.

"we've seen it all before" "cardiff don't want to go up" "same old cardiff, no ambition"

these are statements i've heard for 30 years.

I though this was a new era??????????

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:01 pm

Whitts is not for sale and Malky has said so. He said from day one he is building the team around Whitts so if he is forced to sell I dont think he himself will be here much longer. :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:01 pm

IIRC, didn''t the club say at the AGM or whatever it was the Ranson debt had been dealt with?

Even if we'd no debts, as Ledley saga showed, you get an OTT bid, it's silly to not consider it seriously.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:05 pm

carlccfc wrote:Every player has a price and Peter Whittingham is no different. Malky has said Whitts is not for sale but what figure do you think would Whitts become sellable at?

I am not advocating selling Whitts but there is a a few things to consider if a bigger offer came in.

Ray Ranson (sports asset group) receives money from any transfer sale off any player sold, could the board of directors see a big sale as an opportunity to settle/reduce the debt without having to pay the debt off the conventional way. I don't know the finer details of the Ranson debt but I would be surprised if there was no end date of when the debt is to be settled.

Thinking along those lines could any funds raised be used to settle/reduce this debt plus also giving the manager funds to spend this transfer window, which would coincide,IMO, with living within our means and continuing the business plan of creating a sound financial footing for the club.

So from a political point of view what figure would you want to receive for Whitts if he was sold on?

The debt was £3.5m in May 2010. SInce then Chopra has been sold, so maybe reduced by the proceeds of that, unless this had to go direct to Sunderland. There is no interest accruing on it, but no record of any end date.

Personally I wouldn't sell Whittingham for anything less than £6m, he is by far our most important player and almost exclusive creative outlet at the moment.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Whitts won't be going anywhere unless we receive 5m plus, in which we could no turn that down! :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:11 pm

Considering we are now supposed to be in control of our debt then whitts should not have to be sold.I wouldnt sell him in january at any price unless stupid money is being offered which is usually too late to bring in anyone else

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:13 pm

carlccfc wrote:Every player has a price and Peter Whittingham is no different. Malky has said Whitts is not for sale but what figure do you think would Whitts become sellable at?

carl,this is what i said about whittingham signing a new contract,he is valuable to the city now,i hope he doesnt go,but this is how it works,happy new year to you carl, :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:16 pm

we've wasted millions in signing on fees and massive wages FFS.

remember those 3000 fans not turning up to CCS although they have season tickets.
Thats £1.2 million pounds next season if they don't renew (at £400 rough price per ST).

what about the 4000 other spare seats at the CCS not filled - how much could that rake in?

if we are to become a big club - we must be careful that the fans don't get dissullusioned.

alexander
matthews
gunter
loovens
johnson
ledley
ramsey
burke
jerome
chops
bothroyd
mcormack

Premier first 12 perhaps????

don't be fooled that just selling players gets needed money in.
a couple of bad decisions and that 'selling money' is gone :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:20 pm

i said this recently about whitts,it seemed odd that he signed a new contract recently,he is now valuable to the city,isnt this how it works,happy new year to you carl :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:21 pm

Carl, I would want minimum of £4 mill with £2 Mill upfront.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Every player has a price like the £6m Stoke bid for Ledley but when it comes to Whiits it should be a MEGA offer before we sell.

If a PL club can bid £6m for Joe Ledley then Mega money would start at £10m if you ask me. Anywhere near that then Ibet TG will drive him himself.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Carl, if we were mid-table right now and he was playing as he has been playing then i think he'd be off for £3 million, in all honesty West Ham may have got him.

But our league position makes me think differently and I think and hope the board see what an important player he is for us and regardless of debt NO offer should be considered unless we are talking £5-6 million plus , which will only come from a Premiership club anyway. But would any club pay that for a player in the Championship at this moment in time? I don't think so!

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:41 pm

On the radio yesterday there was a quote about previous cardiff sales that we were............ "Starving tomorrow to feed yesterday". :(

unless were in a dire situation and the funds coming in were ALL available for re-investment,build,expand,strengthen the squad then why even dream of letting our main man go?? :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:44 pm

trouble is if hes worth 3/4 mill now he,ll still be worth at end of season if we dont go up

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:54 pm

I hope not Carl, I really think we should be looking to strenghen our squad not sell players.

Can understand that an Offer could be made and we could not resist to sell. But I'm feeling very selfish and want to keep what we have and add a few new players.

So looking forward to the remainder of the season

:ayatollah:

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:54 pm

I hope not Carl, I really think we should be looking to strenghen our squad not sell players.

Can understand that an Offer could be made and we could not resist to sell. But I'm feeling very selfish and want to keep what we have and add a few new players.

So looking forward to the remainder of the season

:ayatollah:

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:11 pm

I believe Whitts will go, but only to an established premier team, IMO It will be a cash plus players (loan or permanent) that City/Malky will find difficult to turn down.

Whitts has been a good servant to the club and if the deal is right for all parties deserves his chance, remember one man dose not make a team.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:47 pm

Losing Whitts now would be similar to selling Toshack, many years ago. How many fans did we lose after that episode?

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:32 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:Losing Whitts now would be similar to selling Toshack, many years ago. How many fans did we lose after that episode?

1000 times this.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:35 pm

Well to think Andy Carol went to Liverpool for 25 MILLION I'd take 35Mil :)

Seriously, 5Mill and that would be to much to turn down.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:44 pm

As long as the decison is MM and MM's only then i'm happy with whatever he decides.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:56 pm

I wouldn't sell Whitts for less than 6 mil. I think he's that important to our team at the moment and he signed a new contract earlier in the season.

If a championship team bids for him then he won't move as there is no point going sideways.

If Whitts joins a struggling prem team then he could be back in the championship team in 6 months.

Top prem teams aren't going to try and sign him.

So it's only mid-table premiership clubs that could probably tempt him away.

I think Whitts will stay though. He has said he is commited to the club. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:52 am

Whitts is priceless in my opinion

his passion and commitment is something that you dont get alot with players

he believes in his game. and believes he has something to help city go forward

Id much rather sell, Gyepes, Keinan, Quinn, Parkin, Earnie etc instead of selling whitts :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:53 am

No player is bigger than this club, no one.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:12 am

Midfield general wrote:All I want is that 'if' Whitts is sold is for the club to come out and say 'Look we sold Whitts because of this, this and this.' Then no matter what your opinion on people within the club everyone can go forward as one.

The problem the club now has is that there isn't someone there whos the mouthpiece of the board which has a negative view on the board members. Whether you liked him or not Gethin Jones was that mouthpiece and others before him but now he has gone there's nobody there willing to take that role.

Aye, and now he's split up with Katherine Jenkins as well.

Thick c**t :lol:

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:53 am

Whitts is an integral part of our team and losing him could seriously dent any hopes of achieving promotion this season. We should not sell him under any circumstances!