Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

All credit to Malky

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:13 am

Having been at the game yesterday I was surprised to see that Malky had changed the shape and reverted back to the diamond 4-4-2 . But as the first half wore on it was becoming clear it was not working, we struggled to create chances with the lack of width and Forest were hurting us without creating any clear chances on the wings.

Fair play they were switching the ball really well and our team had to cover a lot of ground shuffling from one side of the pitch to the other. With a quicker, more direct winger like Paul Anderson playing they may have got in behind our back 4 & probably scored. To be honest after the first half I was happy with 0-0 as they dominated possession and all we had was Miller's long shot and Camp made a decent save.

But all credit to Malky he could have kept it the same but was bold enough to change it at half time and play a flatter 4-4-2 & then the chances came because we had more width and all the joy their full backs were getting on the wings was now limited. Playing Gestede was a great decision and he helped out defensively on set pieces too. But also we weren't looking to hoof up to him as we were on many occasions to Jay last season. MM has a great approach because he is very flexible tactically and this is allowing us to get results especially away from home.

Happy new year Bluebirds :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Hopefully we can get a win against Reading on Monday and with 2-3 players in we can at least cement a place in the top 6!

Re: All credit to Malky

Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:11 pm

Very good post sir
I honestly dont think a 4-4-2 is going to work against reading.Id like to see conway come in for joey mason who is clearly not comfortbale out wide
In Malky we trust ,he seems to have the abilty to change formation depending on the opposition,something Dave Jones was too stubborn to do :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Yes good post, Happy New Year.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:19 pm

englishbluebird wrote:Very good post sir
I honestly dont think a 4-4-2 is going to work against reading.Id like to see conway come in for joey mason who is clearly not comfortbale out wide
In Malky we trust ,he seems to have the abilty to change formation depending on the opposition,something Dave Jones was too stubborn to do :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mason was in and out the game yesterday. His game improved as we changed to the flat 4-4-2 because he had more space in wide areas rather than being at the top of the diamond with very little space and little to pass to when going forward as there was no wingers so he was pretty much crowded out.

I think I'd revert back to 4-5-1 tomorrow and play Macca, if fit in midfield, put mason on bench and bring in Conway on the wing but MM for me will stick 4-4-2 because it would be hard to justify dropping Gestede after his great performance v Forest but as you say:

In Malky we Trust! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:05 pm

id definetly go 4-5-1 and hopefully we will perform like we did at the madejski,be a really tough game though,rudy is a team player though and im sure he will understand the need for different tactics against different teams