Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" A Watford Fans Perspective "

Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Hello Cardiff fans, long time no see.

Went to the game today, thought I would give my thoughts.

The match itself, Cardiff probably edged the first half, lots of half chances for yourselves. Cowie did miss a sitter though, hitting it straight at Loach who saved well. For us we had a couple of good chances with some driven efforts mainly from outside the 18 yard box, Marshall spilled one but smothered it well at the second attempt (although Sordell was pronounced offside anyway).

In the second half I thought Watford were much improved, Cardiff took a backseat and bar a couple of corners at the start of the half did not offer anything for the next half an hour. We scored a great goal with sordell running along the dead ball line before pulling back for Buaben to make a tidy finish. At this point I thought we could probably hold on, Cardiff were not really offering a lot and probably we looked the more likely. However the long throws which had been causing us trouble all game, came back to bite us on the arse with about 10 minutes to go, Loachy should have done better.

So all in all, I would have taken a point before kickoff, however on the basis of the second half I reckon we probably edged it. I was quite surprised at the cardiff style of play, i expected Malky to play some good stuff and try to carve us open, however we pretty much limited you to set-pieces (where you always offered a threat). It was a bit of a shame as the game could have been more open, but both defences were in good form today.

2 points dropped really today, a view probably shared by both teams. From my point of view, Watford have become very difficult to beat, I cant really think of the last time we had a defence as solid as this.

By the way Turner is huge!!!! He is not the most co-ordinated, skillful or pacy of players but he is built like a brick shithouse. Sordell did him a couple of times for pace, but I can't recall him losing a header all game.

Where was Earnshaw today? He always bangs one in against us! Malky should have known better than that lol.

Re: " A Watford Fans Perspective "

Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:58 pm

Good assumption mate of the game can't disagree with u but I'll add we should of been three up in the first 15 mins!

Earnie,?

Good question , hadn't played for ages , he is fourth in the pecking order!

I think we should give him a chance!

A point each was fair today for both teams!!
And I was home by 2:30 pm :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:12 pm

Our style of play this season leaves a lot to be desired.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:31 pm

polo wrote:Our style of play this season leaves a lot to be desired.

Its because Polo was a Dave Jones fan. :lol:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:35 pm

A very fair report. And to mention the atmosphere today was very muted and close to being shocking. And that is from both sets of fans including myself. But a 12 kick off and most city fans up around five everyone was shattered and a bit to much Turkey and Pop :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: Hate these stupid kick off times !! Why ? No need for it.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:17 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I make no excuses for enjoying DJs style of play but also admit it was a time for change.

However, I will be honest and say I was expecting a different brand of football from Malky, having seen his team tear us another arsehole with their attacking play last year. The home game they were also superb and unlucky to lose to us that day. We were very clinical. Chops and Jay on fire.

I would be interested to know from the watford lad what sort of football they played last year?

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:21 pm

TBF Polo i dont think we have that sort of side to go tearing them a new arsehole. But we more than make up for it in effort and drive. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:TBF Polo i dont think we have that sort of side to go tearing them a new arsehole. But we more than make up for it in effort and drive. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Malkys got a better budget at this club than he did Watford, and this side is mainly his, so theres no reason why he couldnt put a squad together to go attacking teams. Especially at home.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:34 pm

polo wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:TBF Polo i dont think we have that sort of side to go tearing them a new arsehole. But we more than make up for it in effort and drive. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Malkys got a better budget at this club than he did Watford, and this side is mainly his, so theres no reason why he couldnt put a squad together to go attacking teams. Especially at home.

What Budget Chief ? :o :? :lol: :lol:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:05 pm

polo wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I make no excuses for enjoying DJs style of play but also admit it was a time for change.

However, I will be honest and say I was expecting a different brand of football from Malky, having seen his team tear us another arsehole with their attacking play last year. The home game they were also superb and unlucky to lose to us that day. We were very clinical. Chops and Jay on fire.

I would be interested to know from the watford lad what sort of football they played last year?

when malky managed us and we played much like an imitation of west brom in the championship. we moved the ball quickly in midfield and got it wide to our danger men to make runs down the wing. set pieces under malky were never our particular strong point.

when we were managed for promotion back in the days of aidy boothroyd, we played long ball football. we had two pacy wingers, solid defenders and two strikers who could score goals. worked a treat, wasnt exactly appealling to the eye but when you are picking up points it doesnt really matter.

i was surprised at how cardiff played today, i expected more of the midfield especially when you have the likes of whittingham and cowie. still good luck for the rest of the season. malky seemed to struggle to maintain our tempo going into the second half of the season, however we did lose some key players last january. still not convinced that you will be up in the top two at the end of the season, but i would expect you to make the playoffs. :old:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:20 pm

hornet_fan wrote:
polo wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

when malky managed us and we played much like an imitation of west brom in the championship. we moved the ball quickly in midfield and got it wide to our danger men to make runs down the wing. set pieces under malky were never our particular strong point.

when we were managed for promotion back in the days of aidy boothroyd, we played long ball football. we had two pacy wingers, solid defenders and two strikers who could score goals. worked a treat, wasnt exactly appealling to the eye but when you are picking up points it doesnt really matter.

i was surprised at how cardiff played today, i expected more of the midfield especially when you have the likes of whittingham and cowie. still good luck for the rest of the season. malky seemed to struggle to maintain our tempo going into the second half of the season, however we did lose some key players last january. still not convinced that you will be up in the top two at the end of the season, but i would expect you to make the playoffs. :old:

Cheers fella.

I was expecting different I must admit. Will Buckley was superb down here last year, and even though he had already gone to Brighton, was expecting MM to go with players of similair ilk.

Hes gone very safety first, hard working, which as you say about AB wasnt pleasing on the eye, but if picking up points cannot grumble.

Its when we hit a sticky patch, as we have, I dont think folk will be happy playing one upfront, at home, when not picking up points.