Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What happened to consolidation this season?

Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:42 pm

At the start of the season plenty on here were claiming to be happy to finish mid table and many said play offs would be a bonus??

Now after a great start by malky a lot of the same people would probably be dissapointed if we have a steady second part of the season and finish in the top ten??

Has malky been the victim of his own success? Are fans starting to increase the pressure on malky and the owners because of our position in the first part of the season?

Im still happy with a top ten finish but whats made others higher their expectations??

Should people be quoting the malaysians when mentioning investment for players what about the others on the board??

Be nice to see others opinions :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: What happened to consolidation this season?

Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:04 am

jinks-rct wrote:At the start of the season plenty on here were claiming to be happy to finish mid table and many said play offs would be a bonus??

Now after a great start by malky a lot of the same people would probably be dissapointed if we have a steady second part of the season and finish in the top ten??

Has malky been the victim of his own success? Are fans starting to increase the pressure on malky and the owners because of our position in the first part of the season?

Im still happy with a top ten finish but whats made others higher their expectations??

Should people be quoting the malaysians when mentioning investment for players what about the others on the board??

i can't say i would "happy" as such with a high mid-table finish mate but i certainly wouldnt be disappointed, if that makes sense :ayatollah:

i was expecting about 7th/8th at the beginning of the season and now im hoping for slightly higher, but if we dont make the playoffs then my views on Malky definitely wont change and i'll still think he's done a great job in his first season ready to push on for the second season.

i just keep telling myself not to expect anything big this season and then if we do happen to do something that it will feel even better, and if we dont then we'll be even stronger for it next time round.

all i know is that Malky is working wonders at this club so far :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:03 am

I said we would go up as Champions so lying 5th ATM is a bit of a dissappointment ;)

That said I would take a top ten finish and a League Cup win now.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:48 pm

I'm sticking with what I said, aslong as we finish top half of table and play like a team then I'll be happy. At the moment, I'm loving every second of it, obviously I'll be disappointed when we lose but we are going to lose games.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:52 pm

Still the same thoughts for me, expected top 6 and anything less will be seen as a disappointing.

As for some other fans well yeah they said consolidation but fans have very short memories and that was always going to be the case. Its like TG and Tan took over nearly everyone said they would be happy just to survive and be able to live within our means and not have to reply on a sugar daddy.....now screaming for every penny they can from them :lol:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:45 pm

jinks-rct wrote:At the start of the season plenty on here were claiming to be happy to finish mid table and many said play offs would be a bonus??

Yes but Jinks once your up there, like we are and have been, you want more and if everyone is honest it makes you hungrier for more success,as we are in the top half way through the season, it would now be very disappointing if we went out of it. Please be honest everyone ? :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Jinks I would accept a top ten finish as this is MM first season in charge but after the fantastic start we have made to not make the playoffs would have to be a big disappointment.

I'm not sure what you mean by a steady second half of the season but for me if we were to win 70% of the points available that would be a great performance and that would likely place us on or around the automatics, winning 60% of the points available would place us confortably in the playoffs whilst win half the points available would place us in or around the playoffs.

For me we are in a great position, and maybe as you say were are victims of our success to this point, but we are where we are fully on merit and surely we should look to build on that.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Yes but Jinks once your up there, like we are and have been, you want more and if everyone is honest it makes you hungrier for more success,as we are in the top half way through the season, it would now be very disappointing if we went out of it. Please be honest everyone ? :ayatollah:

yes after the start we have had i'd be a little dissapointed not to be there or there abouts at the end of the season but i also remember the thoughts i had at the start of the season when we seemed to be in disaray (spl) and would have been happy with consolidation.
i still stand by my initial thoughts of slightly happy with mid table finish. A bonus if we finish in the play offs and a dream if we finish top two :ayatollah: :ayatollah: my opinion will change if we have player investment in january :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:36 pm

jinks-rct wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Yes I agree on your comments, but now we are there, theres no reason that we cant now go all the way, I bet Malky feels that way. I wont moan at Malky if we end up mid table. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

yes after the start we have had i'd be a little dissapointed not to be there or there abouts at the end of the season but i also remember the thoughts i had at the start of the season when we seemed to be in disaray (spl) and would have been happy with consolidation.
i still stand by my initial thoughts of slightly happy with mid table finish. A bonus if we finish in the play offs and a dream if we finish top two :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:19 pm

If we won today this thread wouldnt exist. That's football.

I still think we'll make the top 6.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:54 pm

NickPenarth wrote:If we won today this thread wouldnt exist. That's football.

I still think we'll make the top 6.

it would have existed if we had won today because i posted this thread yesterday :? :? :lol:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:47 pm

:lol:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:50 pm

NickPenarth wrote::lol:

nice one :ayatollah: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:59 pm

Said at start Malky has a free season IMO no pressures no expectation,and at half way mark nothing has changed.
All I wanted from this season was small signs that we would continue to make progression, not dive into a free fall after losing so many staff on and off pitch. ( so I've got what I wanted) anything else is a bonus. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:40 pm

Our fans expectations at times are laughable. Forest had less of an overall turn around in the summer (albeit they have a new manager now) and are bottom three. We get a draw that at times we would have lost under our previous manager and people moan about being 4th.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:47 pm

RFMH wrote:Our fans expectations at times are laughable. Forest had less of an overall turn around in the summer (albeit they have a new manager now) and are bottom three. We get a draw that at times we would have lost under our previous manager and people moan about being 4th.

TBH are you surprised, I'm not.

Sometimes I wonder how serious these posters are. Don;t know about you but I have stood/sat next to people in the grounds and I can well imagine they are these sort of posters.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:11 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
RFMH wrote:Our fans expectations at times are laughable. Forest had less of an overall turn around in the summer (albeit they have a new manager now) and are bottom three. We get a draw that at times we would have lost under our previous manager and people moan about being 4th.

TBH are you surprised, I'm not.

Sometimes I wonder how serious these posters are. Don;t know about you but I have stood/sat next to people in the grounds and I can well imagine they are these sort of posters.

That is a fair point, you're right i'm not surprised.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:39 pm

I think our current squad is running out of steam (dreams of Wembley), and without strengthening our squad, particularly in some quarters, what I think we need is real speed merchant up front, we will drop back, into the pack.

The players minds within next couple of games will be switched to thinking of Wembley, they may be more concerned about picking up bookings or injuries, with wanting to play there up, maybe its there already ?

just a thought

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:21 pm

I said that a 9th place finsh would be something to be proud of and I still do! :)
The idea is we have seen the team play past 5 months and the no fear spirit we have is massive and we have climbed so high and I think fans know that we are capable of being play offs and maybe have a bite at the top 2 in the next 5 months. I dont mean we will go up automatic but in March maybe we might challenge for the top 2 then drop but in the play offs! :D
But i ent going to moan about anything this season because its diffucult and its always going to be diffucult.

You can all moan about these cheap points we pick up at Coventry and Watford but come May these points will be very vital and important if we going to get play offs this season :old: At the end of the day you can all moan about these games now but come May they will be very important come next may! :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:59 am

Where and when did our current board say this was a season of consolidation ???

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:35 am

At this moment in time I think Southampton and West Ham have to be favourites to occupy the automatic spots. That said, there is no-one in positions 3-6 that I would fear in the play offs and consistancy is our only real opponent.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:54 am

I would of been happy with a top half finish considering the BIG NAME players we lost but malky has shown us that its not about the name. I think we could make the playoffs comfortably with a couple of additions. Auto spots are just a stretch too far!!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:01 pm

I said at the start of the season that Malky had assembled a team good enough to
challenge for the play-offs. Well thats obviously true given our current position.
I honestly think the only mistake he's made so far is in bringing Earnie back, and
I said that back then too. We DO lack a spark up front. Kenny has worked his socks
off, but with a big, strong, skilful striker up there too, who can draw defenders to
him and leave more holes for kenny AND our midfield to run into... we can start
scoring more freely.. and go up!!

Without Lambert, where would Southampton be now? He's their spark!!

To be fair to our supporters, apart from one or two, most of us realise that we ARE
ahead of schedule given the total refit and refurbishment of the squad. If we DONT
go up, we'll all be gutted... but there wont be any blame games played i hope??

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:25 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I said we would go up as Champions so lying 5th ATM is a bit of a dissappointment ;)

That said I would take a top ten finish and a League Cup win now.

No chance in league cup man city will stuff us by four goals or more...........

So we should ignore that, the league is everything and we are capable of finishing in the top two with a bit of luck and a couple of new faces to freshen up and push on.....