Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

does £750,000 seem like an ambitious investment

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:13 pm

considering our position annis,seems like we should be going for the push,i do as posted feel that malky finds value,but it does seem that maybe he has 1 hand tied behind his back with this ammount of cash,i hope im wrong :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: does £750,000 seem like an ambitious investment

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:32 pm

No where near enough.

Then again would you release a load of money to a new man at work? If we end up in a play off spot and still remain in this league then I would expect the money to be made available for next season.

if we do make it to the premiership this season got a feeling a heck of alot of money will be made available to he new man.

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:No where near enough.

Then again would you release a load of money to a new man at work? If we end up in a play off spot and still remain in this league then I would expect the money to be made available for next season.

if we do make it to the premiership this season got a feeling a heck of alot of money will be made available to he new man.

but they surely have to believe in the man that THEY made manager,and they have to back him now. :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:40 pm

krab wrote:

but they surely have to believe in the man that THEY made manager,and they have to back him now. :ayatollah:

Depends if they expected their man to get promotion this year.

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:45 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
krab wrote:

Depends if they expected their man to get promotion this year.

good point,but he is showing how well he can do with not alot. :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:26 pm

krab wrote:considering our position annis,seems like we should be going for the push,i do as posted feel that malky finds value,but it does seem that maybe he has 1 hand tied behind his back with this ammount of cash,i hope im wrong :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

No it is not in my opinion.

If we really mean business then Malky should at least have a couple of Million in January at his disposal, just my opinion. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:13 am

Got to stay within the budget. Would be great to spend £5 million but we have to live in the real world. I still think we'll get 3 in next month.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:42 am

The problem with the January transfer window is the prices are so inflated so you hardly ever get value for money.

I think we need at least 2 players in next month to sustain our promotion push. Malky will definintely be looking in the loan market but I can't imagine us signing more than 1 player on a permanent deal in Jan.

Malky will get the signings spot on though once again! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:56 am

jaybothroyd wrote:The problem with the January transfer window is the prices are so inflated so you hardly ever get value for money.

I think we need at least 2 players in next month to sustain our promotion push. Malky will definintely be looking in the loan market but I can't imagine us signing more than 1 player on a permanent deal in Jan.

Malky will get the signings spot on though once again! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

agreed :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:46 am

krab wrote:considering our position annis,seems like we should be going for the push,i do as posted feel that malky finds value,but it does seem that maybe he has 1 hand tied behind his back with this ammount of cash,i hope im wrong :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

MM knew the situation when he was appointed.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:58 am

Midfield general wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:

MM knew the situation when he was appointed.

But did he...? Ive told everyone for months that they are losing interest and £750,000 is just the money which will be made from the Carling Cup and half price season tickets.

It interesting now the people who are stating that they like a long term plan are the same people who thought that they'd be buying 3/4 players in Janaury just a few weeks ago.

I think there is a long term plan, but I have never claimed we would buy 3/4 players in January (I have always said 1 on loan).

MM when he was appointed clearly stated he had to work within a budget and utilising the Carling Cup/Half Season Tickets is doing exactly that.

May be TG/VT are losing interest (I honestly have no idea if they are) but I don't think that living within our means is absolute proof that they are.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:52 am

Midfield general wrote:
My comment was by no means a personal attack on you Tone. However what if we didn't have the Carling Cup run..? there wouldn't even be £750,000 to spend!!!!

Absolutely true the pot would be even smaller without the incredible run we have had in the Carling Cup although I don't think we have made as much out of it as some think (you only get £100,000 if you win it, the same as the FAW Premier Cup used to pay)

But I still don't get the argument about not keeping to a budjet. After recent years surely we now understand the risks of taking the 'gamble' on promotion?

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:56 am

What did the Jacks spend last January? Also, what did Norwich spend? I would guess less than 750k.

Spending does not promotion guarantee.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:08 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Midfield general wrote:
My comment was by no means a personal attack on you Tone. However what if we didn't have the Carling Cup run..? there wouldn't even be £750,000 to spend!!!!

Absolutely true the pot would be even smaller without the incredible run we have had in the Carling Cup although I don't think we have made as much out of it as some think (you only get £100,000 if you win it, the same as the FAW Premier Cup used to pay)

But I still don't get the argument about not keeping to a budjet. After recent years surely we now understand the risks of taking the 'gamble' on promotion?

Surely the Carling Cup isn't that much of a money spinner. As discussed on here in detail we have had poor crowds even with reduced prices. Take away cut for away team, stewards, bonuses for players etc I would argue it is nowhere near 750k. We have not had a huge away game during the run which would generate that sort of cash.

We need to keep to a budget. It is the constant losing of money that is going to get the Malaysians to poke off and we will find it very difficult to replace them.

I would also argue that MM hasn't spent the money he has had massively wisely. I think Turner could turn out to be a star but is he THAT much better than what we had already? We are already getting on Conway's back who I am guessing is on a pretty good wage and received a pretty hefty signing on fee. Earnie was approved by MM and is quite clearly past it.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:45 am

I dont think for one moment that VT/TG are losing interest. However, I do believe that there is a plan and promotion this year is not essential.

Why do I believe that?

Well TG has been to virtually every match. There is always someone new he is showing the club to. We have big things happening in Malaysia as well as Kevin Cooper looking after a project out there. 30,000 children playing football in Malaysia as part of the 1MCC foundation and to me that seems too big a project to lose interest.

I personally think that they will have a go at promotion this year but it wont be an "All or Nothing" approach as per previous seasons.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:04 pm

We have one of , if not the best manager in the championship. It will be a very long time till we see another like Malky again.
He is a manager with lots of ambition and he has transformed this team and the club with the way all the fans and team and staff are working together. I would have thought that the chairman and other investors of this club would have showed there support as we fans are doing ,by given Malky a better budget to work with than 750,000.
I will bet that Malky him self is not very happy about that kind of money also. The investors should back him or we will fined other clubs with real ambition after him.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:05 am

People question the budget. 750k for players and wages? utter crap if you ask me theres a lot more than that if MM wants 3/4 players.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:54 am

maccydee wrote:
Surely the Carling Cup isn't that much of a money spinner. As discussed on here in detail we have had poor crowds even with reduced prices. Take away cut for away team, stewards, bonuses for players etc I would argue it is nowhere near 750k. We have not had a huge away game during the run which would generate that sort of cash.

We need to keep to a budget. It is the constant losing of money that is going to get the Malaysians to poke off and we will find it very difficult to replace them.

I would also argue that MM hasn't spent the money he has had massively wisely. I think Turner could turn out to be a star but is he THAT much better than what we had already? We are already getting on Conway's back who I am guessing is on a pretty good wage and received a pretty hefty signing on fee. Earnie was approved by MM and is quite clearly past it.

Very interesting perspective Maccydee you might be ahead of the game there.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:01 am

Paul Keevil wrote:I dont think for one moment that VT/TG are losing interest. However, I do believe that there is a plan and promotion this year is not essential.

Why do I believe that?

Well TG has been to virtually every match. There is always someone new he is showing the club to. We have big things happening in Malaysia as well as Kevin Cooper looking after a project out there. 30,000 children playing football in Malaysia as part of the 1MCC foundation and to me that seems too big a project to lose interest.

I personally think that they will have a go at promotion this year but it wont be an "All or Nothing" approach as per previous seasons.

Great post PK and I agree the 1MCC foundation is absolutely esential to VT/TG's plans for CCFC.

However, I do think we might be a victim of our own success. The interest which has been generated in Malaysia about CCFC has caught both by surprise. Even as a Championship team we seem to be everyone's second favourite team (after the usual Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal & Chelsea) and we are having a far bigger impact than QPR.

That might explain why promotion to the EPL is not the number one priority at this time.

IMO that will come next year when VT's betting licence is up for grabs again and he will be expecting his pay back for his involvement in the 1MCC campagin.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Im confused.

We were allegedly in for diuof a few weeks back, along with Macheda, but Macheda
wasnt thought suitable and Diuof (to his credit) didnt want to drop down a division.
So surely there was money there then?

Are we saying that this £750,000 from the league Cup run is all thats being made
available now?

How do we know this?

Cos its obviously not enough to underpin a promotion push.

If Malky HAS been told there's no more money available this season then i'll be
gutted, but wont complain. We've come a very long way in a very short time.
But they should come out and tell us as much. If that IS the case

Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:51 pm

Maybe we should bring back Ridsdale? The way people are talking I guess they would class him as ambitious

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:08 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Maybe we should bring back Ridsdale? The way people are talking I guess they would class him as ambitious

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the new owners ambition are to make us a premiership football club
with a premiership team, premiership ground... and run like a professional
club. They are working hard behind the scenes to make sure the foundations
they are laying will remain in place for years to come. If they are loathe to
spend over the allocated budget for the team this season it could well mean
we will end up finishing a little lower. But by the same token, they could push
the boat out and STILL see the team fall short of promotion. Its frustrating
for the supporters.

But in the long run they are backing the manager, the team, the fans and the
whole club. Look at where we were. Then look at where we are now. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mind you. they are off in the summer, it was on Dispatches.

And their taking the growlights with them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:32 pm

taffyapple wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Maybe we should bring back Ridsdale? The way people are talking I guess they would class him as ambitious

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the new owners ambition are to make us a premiership football club
with a premiership team, premiership ground... and run like a professional
club. They are working hard behind the scenes to make sure the foundations
they are laying will remain in place for years to come. If they are loathe to
spend over the allocated budget for the team this season it could well mean
we will end up finishing a little lower. But by the same token, they could push
the boat out and STILL see the team fall short of promotion. Its frustrating
for the supporters.

But in the long run they are backing the manager, the team, the fans and the
whole club. Look at where we were. Then look at where we are now. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mind you. they are off in the summer, it was on Dispatches.

And their taking the growlights with them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i think we are in a fantastic position,and hope that they do what they got to do to get promotion,i feel that as a club we are ready to go up,we have a new stadium,a good team,fantastic manager,level headed backers and most important a fantastic and loyal(i hope)bunch of supporters,what else is stopping us :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: