Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" JAY BOTHROYD UPDATE "

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:21 am

Quite a few were asking me about Jay a while back & asked me to let them know how he's getting on at QPR.

Well as I said on here up until last month I absolutey could not falt Jay. He was doing a thankless task up front as the lone striker, working hard to retain possesion in the final third & bring people into play. People judge strikers on goals but he was bringing so much more to the table his lack of goals was not an issue at all. He always put in a shift & the fans were very very happy with his contribution up until a few weeks back.

HOWEVER!!!

In the last month or so we have seen a side to Jay that many on here were more than happy to warn me about. Lethargic, lazy, lack of effort & has an awful shot 8 times out of 10 are a few thoughts that come to mind. I've also seen now what many said about him going for headers. For a big lad he literally doesn't get off the ground. Many spoke about him being on his arse a lot but being honest we've seen none of that YET!

I've spoken up for Jay on this site when he was getting a few pelters but In the last month I really can't defend him & unfortunately due to us having some of the most critical fans in world football!! Jay is unfortunately emerging as a bit of a whipping boy so he needs to pull his finger out asap. With January around the corner & Warnock ready to crack out the cheque book Jay will be cast aside if he doesn't get himself together.

If he starts performing again as he did early season I will be back to let you know don't worry about that :-)

Final note. Well done to yourselves you are doing a lot better than I predicted (I said you would finish around 8th) so well done & keep up the good work!!

Merry Xmas to each & every one of you :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: JAY BOTHROYD UPDATE

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:41 am

Hes never made it in the prem before stan so i dont think this is any diffrent with you lot lets be fair look at his record in the prem its consisted of bench warming and reserve team football all hes ever done when not injured that speaks for its self bar when he was with us (best years of his footballing life) but moved on for money reasons if thats what makes him tick so be it playing week in week out dont matter to footballers these days its all about the money,eitherway im sure warnock will splash out to stay up come jan and the deadwood whoever else they are at your club will go.
Last edited by Bluebird1977 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:41 am

Cheers for the update. He was on talk sport the other day and he said something on the lines of "how can I score if Im not getting the chances". :shock: :shock: Well done Jay class!! Lazy fecker who won't work for the chances!

Good riddance!!

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:43 am

If warnock dont pull his finger out could he be gone in jan?

I would put him and jay in the same bracket. Best in the championship but not quite good enough for the Pl.

And wtf has happened to warnocks eyebrows :?

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:46 am

My cousins in England are QPR fans too and they wouldnt believe me at beginning what Jay can be like on occassions. Well now hes starting to show his real colours. Merry xmas to you too fella

Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:14 am

from what i have seen of him on the box have to agree with all of that, his effort and the couple of shots he had in the last game i saw on motd were appalling, but the one thing i did notice was how quick he jumped up when he fell over, when he fell over playing for us he would look towards bench and ask to be subbed! his attitude and desire are not good enough for top level football, shame cos hes a match winner when he wants to be.
is tommy smith for sale?hes been seen having dinner with malky recently, would be a fantastic signing for us if we could get his down here

Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:20 am

streamfeeder wrote:from what i have seen of him on the box have to agree with all of that, his effort and the couple of shots he had in the last game i saw on motd were appalling, but the one thing i did notice was how quick he jumped up when he fell over, when he fell over playing for us he would look towards bench and ask to be subbed! his attitude and desire are not good enough for top level football, shame cos hes a match winner when he wants to be.
is tommy smith for sale?hes been seen having dinner with malky recently, would be a fantastic signing for us if we could get his down here

Would love to see tommy smith down here

Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:27 am

The guy is a rolling spanner the local prostitute is on the ground less than that wanker

Re: " JAY BOTHROYD UPDATE "

Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:50 am

Stan, I warned you, he could of been pure class. The other players use to say to me, behind the scenes he had all the talent and was class, but he was also lazy,laid back and big headed, that was his down fall.

Cheers and Good luck for the rest of the season. :ayatollah:

Merry Xmas Stan. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:51 am

Cheers for that Stan.

I've looked out for Jay when you guys have been on the box. I really felt he would start on the bench specially when Helguson came on the scene. However at the start of the season as you said he was starting to prove some of us wrong and managed to keep his place. Then along came Barton, Wright Philips and one or two other premiership players and then I noticed Bothroyd was being left out. I wondered why, were we right in the end?

Well after reading your update I am beginning to think we were right sadly. You see Jay is quality but to show that in a consistant form you have to be a workalcoholic of which he is not. If there is any significant improvement in him it is the fact, as someone mentioned above, he gets up straight away once he falls over. When he was tackled playing for us we all started out stop watches to see how long before he got to his two feet again.

Jays real strength with us was not his goal scoring but holding onto the ball. His goal scoring exploits for us at the start of the last season was a bit of a freak tbh. In the 3 years he was with us it was the only time he got a bagful of them in such a short period. Most times we had to wait quite a while for him to get one. However when he had the ball up front we were confident he would keep hold of it until the cavalry came.

It will be interesting to see how Jay responds now the honeymoon period is over for him. He got away with it under DJ but I cant see him doing that under Warnock. January will be an interesting time. Enjoy your Christmas and hopefully your team will drag itself out of the slump it has got itself in.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:54 am

Stan-QPR wrote:Quite a few were asking me about Jay a while back & asked me to let them know how he's getting on at QPR.

Well as I said on here up until last month I absolutey could not falt Jay. He was doing a thankless task up front as the lone striker, working hard to retain possesion in the final third & bring people into play. People judge strikers on goals but he was bringing so much more to the table his lack of goals was not an issue at all. He always put in a shift & the fans were very very happy with his contribution up until a few weeks back.

HOWEVER!!!

In the last month or so we have seen a side to Jay that many on here were more than happy to warn me about. Lethargic, lazy, lack of effort & has an awful shot 8 times out of 10 are a few thoughts that come to mind. I've also seen now what many said about him going for headers. For a big lad he literally doesn't get off the ground. Many spoke about him being on his arse a lot but being honest we've seen none of that YET!

I've spoken up for Jay on this site when he was getting a few pelters but In the last month I really can't defend him & unfortunately due to us having some of the most critical fans in world football!! Jay is unfortunately emerging as a bit of a whipping boy so he needs to pull his finger out asap. With January around the corner & Warnock ready to crack out the cheque book Jay will be cast aside if he doesn't get himself together.

If he starts performing again as he did early season I will be back to let you know don't worry about that :-)

Final note. Well done to yourselves you are doing a lot better than I predicted (I said you would finish around 8th) so well done & keep up the good work!!

Merry Xmas to each & every one of you :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Hi Stan nice to hear from you again and it sounds like Jay has entered his winter hibernation period but no worries mate he will be back in March. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: From what I've seen Stan Helguson is doing a hell of a job for you guys and when NW spends a few bob in January Jay will be lucky to get a look in.

But anyway thats just Jay so no surprises here you and your family have a Merry Christmas and more importantly - BEAT THOSE JACK BASTARDS please. ;)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:43 am

Jay Bothroyd must be one of British footballs biggest enigmas. On his day he is class, his technique is superb! But at top level football a lot of it comes down to attitude and desire. I'm sure a few people have heard by now just how disliked he was behind the scenes here. If Jay Bothroyd and Chopra had the attitude of an alan shearer they would be top half premier league players!

Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:58 am

Has so much potential.. shame he doesnt want to show it

I would have thought now he was in the league he's reckons hes good enough for, he would have put in the performances

Maybe not :lol:

Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:10 pm

Jay is a frustrating player to have in your side. On his day he is pure class but sadly them days are few and far between. His work rate at times is pathetic and on most occasions he does show the desire to work hard for the team. I don't think that Malky would have him in our squad now (even on a free transfer) because his work ethic and arrogance are traits that Malky does not want in his players. In the championship, Jay always played with a laid back style and was rarely flustered but I had a feeling that this style of play would not serve him well in the Premiership. So to sum him up, Jay is a good championship player (if the team can accomodate his laziness and arrogance) but he will always be found wanting at the highest level.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:57 pm

I think that Jade would be an excellent signing for the Jacks.

They obviously need a playmaker and his lack of goals would not be a problem as goal scoring is not a part of their game plan.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks lads some great posts above & really can't disagree with any of them.

He really is a frustrating player. As mentioned by many on here when he turns it on he is unbelievable, against Man City he literally bossed Joleon Lescott & the other centre half (Kolarov?) He looked immense yet the week after he played like a f*cking fairy.

Warnock has been at him about his attitude & I'm told his answer to Warnock was the team are not playing to my strengths.

We have striker targets for January rumoured to include Defoe (6 month loan) Pavluychenko, Kenwyn Jones & Bobby Zamora. If we acquire any of these I fear for Jay. I imagine he will be retained simply as back up as in my opinion we have a much better striker warming the bench in DJ Campbell. I hope he sorts himself out but on current form it looks grim.

For those that asked Tommy Smith is a smashing lad (ark at me Ray Wilkins!!) And a player I would love to see getting more of a look in. He is very intelligent with the ball & always uses the ball very well. You will notice also he rarely loses possession of it. He would do a great job for you but I've personally heard nothing about him moving on. Midfield is a strong area for us so Tommy is finding chances few & far between unfortunately.

The Jacks on the 27th & its not a game I'm looking forward to. They have a lot of quick players & our defence at the minute is like a row of tanks. Your old boy Gabbidon has picked up the nickname H.M.S. Gabbs!! Says it all.

Any more input greatly appreciated. Its been a good read.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:53 pm

dave Jones made Jay.He knew how to handle him.it worked until he won his England cap.Downhill after that.
I sat behind the dug out for one game last season.
Jay went down injured and started moaning.Dave Jones turned his back on him and said to the trainer.
"Leave the b*stard where he is"

Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:59 pm

stickywicket wrote:dave Jones made Jay.He knew how to handle him.it worked until he won his England cap.Downhill after that.
I sat behind the dug out for one game last season.
Jay went down injured and started moaning.Dave Jones turned his back on him and said to the trainer.
"Leave the b*stard where he is"

Wish you hadn't said that. DJ just gone up in my estimation!!!!

Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Stan he always starts off well, but then gets friggin Lazy. I agree with most he could of been a top top player but his attitude always let him down. Once he starts to go down hill that's it i'm afraid, Unless he moves to a new club and the cycle starts all over again.
Any way Happy Crimbo to you and your Family Stan and to all the other HOOPS :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:Thanks lads some great posts above & really can't disagree with any of them.

He really is a frustrating player. As mentioned by many on here when he turns it on he is unbelievable, against Man City he literally bossed Joleon Lescott & the other centre half (Kolarov?) He looked immense yet the week after he played like a f*cking fairy.

Warnock has been at him about his attitude & I'm told his answer to Warnock was the team are not playing to my strengths.

We have striker targets for January rumoured to include Defoe (6 month loan) Pavluychenko, Kenwyn Jones & Bobby Zamora. If we acquire any of these I fear for Jay. I imagine he will be retained simply as back up as in my opinion we have a much better striker warming the bench in DJ Campbell. I hope he sorts himself out but on current form it looks grim.

For those that asked Tommy Smith is a smashing lad (ark at me Ray Wilkins!!) And a player I would love to see getting more of a look in. He is very intelligent with the ball & always uses the ball very well. You will notice also he rarely loses possession of it. He would do a great job for you but I've personally heard nothing about him moving on. Midfield is a strong area for us so Tommy is finding chances few & far between unfortunately.

The Jacks on the 27th & its not a game I'm looking forward to. They have a lot of quick players & our defence at the minute is like a row of tanks. Your old boy Gabbidon has picked up the nickname H.M.S. Gabbs!! Says it all.

Any more input greatly appreciated. Its been a good read.

Hope you stuff the jacks-they are due a good hiding at the toiletry stadium=hopefully Jay will show his class

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:44 pm

That sounds like Jay! Good update Stan. Have a great Christmas :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:06 pm

Happy Christmas Stan. Jay Bothroyd is one of the main reasons we didn't go up last year in my opinion, great talent but his attitude stinks. Cashes in on the good times but gives up like a baby when times are tough. I witnessed him on more than one occasion last year come to the dug out and ask Dave Jones to take him off, DJ told him to just get back on that f**king pitch.

Its my belief that we wanted to get rid and cash in on him last Jan, which is why DJ went to the press just before the transfer window opened and started saying that Fabio should take a look at him for England. It backfired as he wouldn't leave and the England cap (instigated by DJ and Ridsdale) completely went to his head. He went from being a fans favourite to pretty much useless for the rest of the season. No commitment, no effort and no sense of duty. Genuinely glad he's gone, completely new team and attitude this year.

Anyway.... Good luck for the rest of the season, will hopefully join you next year :)

Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:10 pm

Would have him back in a heart beat

Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Yes, I understand the what Stan is saying and many of fans say about Jay, but I would have hm back in a shot, just to be different from our current front line, Kenny would still be my first choice but Jay could and would offer something different, in terms of height, skill, and his love for Cardiff City FC (Arsenal not withstanding) in Jays words the best of times of his football career, so far is at Cardiff City.

:D :D :D

Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:42 pm

I always said, We made Jay Bothroyd and leaving us, We will finish him. Jay will now jump from club to club every season not settled and then retire.

Lazy b*stard.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:04 pm

Quite a depressing read on the whole!! :lol:

I really thought you lads were over critical when I used to read very similar posts as above but I can now honestly say hand on heart you are all absolutely spot on. Its so clear he has all the attributes to be a top player but he simply does not apply himself in the correct way.

I personally think if QPR dispense with him he will never get another shot at premiership football again & as others have said will end up going from club to club 'chasing the dream'

I'm hoping to pop back soon to update & say how well he's doing & that he is back on form but history seems to be repeating itself & that now seems very unlikely.

Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:24 am

Stan-QPR wrote:Quite a depressing read on the whole!! :lol:

I really thought you lads were over critical when I used to read very similar posts as above but I can now honestly say hand on heart you are all absolutely spot on. Its so clear he has all the attributes to be a top player but he simply does not apply himself in the correct way.

I personally think if QPR dispense with him he will never get another shot at premiership football again & as others have said will end up going from club to club 'chasing the dream'

I'm hoping to pop back soon to update & say how well he's doing & that he is back on form but history seems to be repeating itself & that now seems very unlikely.

As far as I am aware QPR are Jays 10th club and Cardiff City are the only club to offer him a new contract. Says it all unfortunately Stan.

Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:32 am

Magners that's a shocking stat mate.

To be honest we brought Jay in when the 2 other arseholes were running the club & wouldnove Warnock any cash.

He was an attractive proposition for a free. If Tony Fernandes had taken over sooner I'm pretty sure we would not have seen Jay in the hoops.

Ps-thanks lads for the best wishes but unless we strengthen significantly in January we are gonna struggle. Got some decent players but an awful squad for prem football. Let's see what January brings us.

Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:21 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:Magners that's a shocking stat mate.

To be honest we brought Jay in when the 2 other arseholes were running the club & wouldnove Warnock any cash.

He was an attractive proposition for a free. If Tony Fernandes had taken over sooner I'm pretty sure we would not have seen Jay in the hoops.

Ps-thanks lads for the best wishes but unless we strengthen significantly in January we are gonna struggle. Got some decent players but an awful squad for prem football. Let's see what January brings us.

Shame to see Tarabt not really getting a chance when he virtually ran the show in the Championship. Top player in my opinion. I thought he would thrive at the top table. Good luck for the rest of the season mate hope we see you up there next season rather than replacing you (confident cocky baztud aint I? lol). :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:15 pm

But Stan you said Warnock would sort him out !! You was quite confident of that :o But saying all that how do you feel now ?