Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

You have to question Malky's thinking

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Im not just coming on here slagging everyone off becaue we lost, but why did he bring on Rudy? Personally i thought he was shocking when he came on. Looked like he didnt have a clue. On the plus i thought gunnarsson was a class act lets just hope whitts' injury isnt serious as well.... :ayatollah:

Re: You have to question Malky's thinking

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:53 pm

Despite the loss I thought we played alright Gunnarson's goal was brill thanks to Miller's pass (Chopra would've been greedy and missed, Bothroyd would be on the halfway line on arse kicking and screaming)

As for Rudy he've hardly played for weeks needs a chance to get back in the game.

Boro are not top 6 for nothing and they've lost a few on the way so it happens.

Onwards and upwards :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:56 pm

rudy came on and i think he was a bit too eager and showed his inexperience,thought malky made absolutely the right decision to bring him on though,it just didnt work out and boro defending really well to be fair
rudys still young and deserves to been in our squad,it just didnt come together for our boys today
lets make amends at watford

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:57 pm

IMO he got the time of the subs and the personal of the subs totally wrong but he won't be the first of the last manager to do so.
Even sir Alex does every now and then.
He will get more right than wrong :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:05 pm

I thought Malky made the right subsititions and the right time. Unfortunately things didn't work out this time but that doesn't mean it was a mistake to try and change things.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:08 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I thought Malky made the right subsititions and the right time. Unfortunately things didn't work out this time but that doesn't mean it was a mistake to try and change things.

When I seen it I knew it wasn't going to work and sadly I was proved correct.

Bringing on just mason would have done for ten mins, see how it went because at the time I didn't feel boro were going to get anything.
Double change left us to narrow, the boro fullbacks had a field day.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:14 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:I thought Malky made the right subsititions and the right time. Unfortunately things didn't work out this time but that doesn't mean it was a mistake to try and change things.

When I seen it I knew it wasn't going to work and sadly I was proved correct.

Bringing on just mason would have done for ten mins, see how it went because at the time I didn't feel boro were going to get anything.
Double change left us to narrow, the boro fullbacks had a field day.

That is the way things went this time. Our 4-5-1 formation is narrow at the best of times and let's be honest both Conway and Cowie were very inaffective whilst on the pitch.

Malky tried a different approach and went with the diamond and it might have worked on another day but poor old Rudy was just too rusty after injury.

I still give Malky full marks for trying and I honestly believe that fortune will eventually favour the bold.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:20 pm

Agree we are extremely narrow anyway yes but the subs meant the fullbacks had no cover at all.

I just felt the double sub took away momentum we had. Mason has come on for Conway a few times and it's given the team a positive impact. Just feel if he did that and just waited a bit we may have seen a better result (who knows tho).

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Who could he bring on ?

Mowbray done his home work. Keeping his three up top, kept Taylor & Mc Naughton defending thus we had no width. We desperately need some pace, we just haven't got the x factor when hard work and attrition doesn't work.

Keep smiling we never really thought we would be in this position.... did we :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:25 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Who could he bring on ?

Mowbray done his home work. Keeping his three up top, kept Taylor & Mc Naughton defending thus we had no width. We desperately need some pace, we just haven't got the x factor when hard work and attrition doesn't work.

Keep smiling we never really thought we would be in this position.... did we :ayatollah:

Pace is fine but how many attacking wingers come with work ethic like Conway and cowie?

I don't think we even lacked anything today except concentration at the back.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:34 pm

bluebirdtom16 wrote:Im not just coming on here slagging everyone off becaue we lost, but why did he bring on Rudy? Personally i thought he was shocking when he came on. Looked like he didnt have a clue. On the plus i thought gunnarsson was a class act lets just hope whitts' injury isnt serious as well.... :ayatollah:

Malky was hardly to know he was going to be shit when he made the sub!

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:46 pm

We lost today to a better team on the day. I doubt there are many teams with the pace and width of Boro. I think we must get a speed option in Jan.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:47 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Pace is fine but how many attacking wingers come with work ethic like Conway and cowie?

I don't think we even lacked anything today except concentration at the back.

I think that's a good point and while I'm not looking for a scapegoat, our concentration does seem to drop more often when Hudson is one of the centre-backs.

Yes he did a lot of good work today and is an excellent Captain, but IMO Gerrard/Turner is the better partnership. In fact I would go further and have Darcy on the bench as the back up defender because he offers more options in the event of injuries.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:51 pm

We lost today to a better team on the day. I doubt there are many teams with the pace and width of Boro. I think we must get a speed option in Jan.

i dont think they were better than us, first goal was sloppy and a deflection. we conceded sloppy goals, i wasnt impressed with them. i definitely think we need a winger and striker in january. Cant see us doing much if miller gets injured

Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:22 pm

I wasnt there as i was busy today, so might see it different to everyone else, but i think this game showed our thin squad. Bringing on two natural strikers when at 2-2 which would have been a respectable draw against 4th placed boro. Even if mason played midfield or something, having another natural midfielder on the bench might have made a differance. I dont mind losing to boro, but a point would have been nice. Anyway i wasnted there so might have been totally different and this comment is irrelevant! :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:25 pm

Give Malky some money, then you will see us flying. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:44 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Give Malky some money, then you will see us flying. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mason rudy were his options upfront today (not that scorin was the problem).
But let's not forget he chose to not have earnie on the bench also who MM says was his choice??

Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:47 pm

I dont think we need gustede,

he may be a good player but since he's been injured we'v been on a good run, when he gets sharpness back we can judge him 100%
personally i dont see the need to mess about with what has been working well, mason back up, loan striker,

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:50 am

Apparently, because he gives 100%, he is better than Jay :lol:

Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:45 am

How can anyone doubt Malky's thinking? Did rudy tell him that he was goin to that while he was on the pitch? NO he didnt. Malky thought he was doing rite and on another day he would have come up trumps, for West Ham example

Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:11 am

Malky changed the gameplan and you have to admire this, it didnt pay off but you have to throw caution to the wind sometimes

Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:26 am

Cardiff_Davies wrote:How can anyone doubt Malky's thinking? Did rudy tell him that he was goin to that while he was on the pitch? NO he didnt. Malky thought he was doing rite and on another day he would have come up trumps, for West Ham example

Different situations completely tho.
MM got it very wrong with the subs and said it when they were made, he will get it right tho and live and learn.