Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Do you prefer Pubs since the no smoking ban ?

You may select 1 option

View results

Do you prefer Pubs now they are smoke free ?

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:22 pm

Are you a Smoker but prefer the Pubs smoke free or do you think you should still be allowed ?

Re: Do you prefer Pubs now they are smoke free ?

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:25 pm

Aint been in one since they banned smoking, so cant comment.. :mrgreen:

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:27 pm

I am a smoker but prefer pubs now it is banned

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:58 pm

i would prefer pubs if they werent £3+ a pint of alcohol flavoured water!
but yes it is nicer

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:13 pm

I used to be a cigar smoker, still love the smell of them now, but I must admit I prefer pubs smoke free, especially when eating food.

I do though have sympathy with village pubs that have closed due to the smoking ban and the easy availability of cheap booze , also where elderly people have suffered due to their liking for a beer and a fag and being expected to smoke outside in the winter weather, can't blame them for staying home.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:15 pm

As a smoker yes. I didn't smoke in the house in the UK, haven't smoked in the various apartments I've rented over the last few years and don't smoke in the one I have now. Strangely in Copenhagen, the smaller the bar, the more chance there is of smoking being permitted. The closest bar to me for example is about the size of your average front room, 20 folk in there and no room at the inn to quote some book or other. I poked my head in the other week, through the door not the window, the stink of smoke was awful so I took my business elsewhere.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:19 pm

Personally Nobber i hate the smell of smoke its fooking awfull and it gets in your hair Clothes. My Wife smokes and i hate it but she does not smoke in the house only in her little cubby hole. But Pubs smell fresher now and with good beer and good company i love it :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Personally Nobber i hate the smell of smoke its fooking awfull and it gets in your hair Clothes. My Wife smokes and i hate it but she does not smoke in the house only in her little cubby hole. But Pubs smell fresher now and with good beer and good company i love it :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

My wife smokes too Nukes, outside in the summer and in her designated area in the kitchen in the winter, not my decision, hers, fair play to her she never smokes in the kid's houses or anywhere in front of the grandkids, but I hate her smoking, especially for health reasons.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:41 pm

nobber wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Personally Nobber i hate the smell of smoke its fooking awfull and it gets in your hair Clothes. My Wife smokes and i hate it but she does not smoke in the house only in her little cubby hole. But Pubs smell fresher now and with good beer and good company i love it :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

My wife smokes too Nukes, outside in the summer and in her designated area in the kitchen in the winter, not my decision, hers, fair play to her she never smokes in the kid's houses or anywhere in front of the grandkids, but I hate her smoking, especially for health reasons.

Yeah and totally oblivious to the health reasons, or just plain daft to ignore it. My wife has been offered a new wonder drug for her MS but there is a slight risk of 1000/1 that she could get a potentially fatal brain disease with it. And she is really worried. And she wasn't best pleased with me for stating that wasn't bad odds considering she has a 1/3 chance of dying from a Smoking related illness

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Agree with you totally mate.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:47 pm

youll never ban a smoking fan :ayatollah:

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:36 am

Personally think smoking is the worst habit in the world. Not only does it increase your chances of getting cancer and other diseases tenfold it stinks and gets in clothes and hair. I also hate smokers who dont take non smokers into consideration when lighting up! And when you walk through a door at a hospital ect when theres a shed load of smokers outside, just hold my breath when walking in. So I guess that answers the question :)

Went to America to visit my brother around 2 years ago and they didnt have a ban then, my hangover was 10 times worse after being in a smoke filled pub all night. My hair and clothes were stinking. Thankfully there is a ban in place now!

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:50 am

I'm a non smoker and used to love the old days when pubs were full of smoke (and people).
This is probably just a nostalgia thing rather than missing the smoke itself, but pubs were better in general when I were a lad :D

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:21 am

As a lifelong non-smoker, I'm loving it. I walk out of a pub and I don't feel filthy - happy days. Now, if they could just clean up London, I might fancy visiting the place more often......

:lol:

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:49 am

Nedd Glas wrote:As a lifelong non-smoker, I'm loving it. I walk out of a pub and I don't feel filthy - happy days. Now, if they could just clean up London, I might fancy visiting the place more often......

Gave up the fags 11 years ago after being a very heavy smoker for too many years, but now I can't stand any smoke.
I saw my father die of lung cancer due to being a heavy smoker. :(

So going back to the original question, it's not only pubs I prefer now, it's all public places.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:32 pm

I'm a non smoker, mrs is a smoker and to be honest it doesn't matter a f**k to me. Both parents smoked when growing up so was used to it. Pubs do smell fresher, well some of them - Forresters was honking last Sunday!!!

I recall my first visit to Cardiff after they banned smoking in pubs up here and could notice the difference - was strange seeing someone smoke in a pub having just got used to it being banned.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Deffo prefer pubs without smoking. I hate the smell, hate fag ends
hate the whole shebang.

Do feel a bit sorry for smokers getting blown all over by the wind
and rain outside

But only a bit :lol:

Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:12 pm

My huge bug bear is people smoking outside right in the doorway. Minging having to walk through that.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:29 pm

taffyapple wrote:Deffo prefer pubs without smoking. I hate the smell, hate fag ends
hate the whole shebang.

Do feel a bit sorry for smokers getting blown all over by the wind
and rain outside

But only a bit :lol:

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:44 pm

Pubs are much better now they're non-smoking.

Not only from a health point of view but my eyes don't sting from the smoke and my clothes don't smell like I washed them in fag ash.

:ayatollah:

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:50 pm

I think it is over the top to ban it from all pubs , A lot of pubs should have a smoking room if needed as they are the landlords it should be upto them as some pubs have shut totally because of the smoking ban.

I smoke but do not smoke in the house and do not mind smoking outside so in truth I do not care however i feel sorry for the landlords who have lost their pubs and I know a few so I feel for them.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:51 pm

The best thing about the ban is that you can pop in for a cheeky one on the way home from work without ur missus knowing.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:09 pm

I don't understand why all other drugs are illegal, yet the two worse namely cigarettes and alcohol are legal.

I do really but i just wanted to highlight the fact. :old:

Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:25 pm

Johnny Rythmn wrote:I don't understand why all other drugs are illegal, yet the two worse namely cigarettes and alcohol are legal.

Prob down to the zillions they bring into the Exchequer Johnny.

And yes, you are right, responsible for many, many more deaths than all illegal drugs put together.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:10 am

Johnny Rythmn wrote:I don't understand why all other drugs are illegal, yet the two worse namely cigarettes and alcohol are legal.

Not much use in having Pubs Johnny if they ban Alcohol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But in short i hate being in a smoking environment and would hate for the days when you are totally overcome by smoke. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:27 am

I don't smoke (never have....apart from during sex, of course!! ;) ) but I don't particularly object to people smoking in an appropriate part of a Public House or a Private Members Club or where children are allowed

Where FOOD is being served/eaten is a different matter, of course!! :(

I think the (previous) Government were pretty short-sighted when they put in place a 'blanket' ban for a number of reasons; the biggest for me being:

a: Freedom of choice, and

b: The SAD sight of the nations drinkers/smokers being driven out on to a public street (outside a pub) come rain or shine to partake of their habit and then leaving behind cigarette butts, glasses, litter and a fair amount of disturbance for residents and/or passers by (inc. children)

SOME pubs take their responsibilities seriously (as do SOME smokers) :) However, there are always those.... :roll:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:09 am

Sven Ghali wrote:I don't smoke (never have....apart from during sex, of course!! ;) ) but I don't particularly object to people smoking in an appropriate part of a Public House or a Private Members Club or where children are allowed

Where FOOD is being served/eaten is a different matter, of course!! :(

I think the (previous) Government were pretty short-sighted when they put in place a 'blanket' ban for a number of reasons; the biggest for me being:

a: Freedom of choice, and

b: The SAD sight of the nations drinkers/smokers being driven out on to a public street (outside a pub) come rain or shine to partake of their habit and then leaving behind cigarette butts, glasses, litter and a fair amount of disturbance for residents and/or passers by (inc. children)

SOME pubs take their responsibilities seriously (as do SOME smokers) :) However, there are always those.... :roll:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

that made me chuckle :lol:

Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:20 pm

The goody-good people will soon be turning their attention to alchol.........pubs should be allowed to have smoke rooms end of!!.They would be the most popular place in the pub :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:02 pm

I prefer it.

It does annoy me when my pals keep going outside to smoke though. I end up smoking with them.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:49 pm

my m8 is down velindra as i type this cancer of the throat he has huge lump sticking out its caused by passive smoking hes never smoked so yesi aggree that it should be moke free.