Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Malky Targeting 3 New Signings in January "

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:16 am

As per his conduct up until this point, Malky clearly knows what he wants and how he wants to get it. His comments also dispell the rumours where people are claiming he hasn't been backed by the board:

Malky Mackay ready to spend in January transfer window
by Paul Abbandonato, Western MailDec 8 2011

CARDIFF CITY boss Malky Mackay is ready to bring three new signings into his Bluebirds squad when the January transfer window opens.

Top of his list is a creative winger, and Mackay is also believed to be eyeing a centre-forward and possibly a midfielder.

But he pointed out the Bluebirds would have to be prudent and couldn’t afford to spend huge sums in the transfer market.

“We do need to bring in players – and the board will back me in that,” declared Mackay, whose third-placed Bluebirds meet Millwall on Saturday.

“Right at this moment there are two or three centre-forwards in the Championship who would possibly cost at least £5m for any teams who want to try and sign them.

“Are we in that position? No, we’re not. We will go about our business prudently and aim to get value for money.

“I want players who will integrate into the team. During January and in the transfer window next summer we need a gradual build-up of players into the squad.

“First, though, we look at the league table and what we are able to do in January.

“The board have been very good in giving me access to knowing what the financial situation is. This is a business and the financial situation makes us a club going forward, rather than teetering on the brink of administration.

“Where I have asked the directors to back me they have and we want to bring to our squad in the right way.”

One of the factors which led to Cardiff’s promotion challenges stalling in recent seasons has been a lack of movement during the January transfer window.

And, although there won’t be big-money signings at the start of 2012, Mackay will move to bolster his squad one way or the other.

He had hoped to strengthen during the loan window and says he was ‘within a whisker’ of bringing in a striker, with finances agreed, but the planned move fell flat.

Meanwhile, Mackay could be rewarded for leading the Bluebirds up to third in the table by being named Championship Manager of the Month.

The Cardiff boss is on a four-man shortlist for the award, after his team not only did well in the league, but also reached the last four of the Carling Cup.

Midfielder Peter Whittingham is on the list to be selected as Championship Player of the Month.

He does battle with West Ham’s Carlton Cole, Billy Sharp of Doncaster and Bristol City’s Liam Fontaine.

l CARDIFF City have been given 4,000 tickets for the Carling Cup semi-final trip to Crystal Palace next month.

Tickets for the first leg at Selhurst Park, priced £30 adults and £15 concessions, go on sale to ambassadors and season ticket holders from tomorrow.

Palace will also be offered 4,000 tickets for the second leg in Cardiff and that will mean a section of fans in the family stand being moved.

“Due to Palace requesting up to 4,000 away tickets the stadium configuration will need to be altered,” confirmed a Bluebirds spokesman.

“Some tickets in the family area will have to be moved.

“That will be done at no extra charge to fans.”

The first leg is in London on Tuesday, January 10 (8pm) with the Cardiff City Stadium return leg on Tuesday, January 24 (7.45pm).

Re: Malky Targeting 3 New Signings in January

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:36 am

It is great to see a manager who understands the finances and how to utilise to the maximum the resources which are avaiable to him.

This is in contrast to Dave Jones who would sign any old sod and hope it worked out no matter how much it cost the club if it didn't.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:22 am

so with hindsight now we are nearing the half way point of the season do you think we would have done any better if CCFC had backed Malky by allowing the costly signing of Craig Bellamy ?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:36 am

think a striker and 2 wingers(left and right) is what we need.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:05 pm

One player I know Malky would love to sign is Jay Rodriguez from Burnley! I was lucky enough to spend an evening sat next to Malky at a dinner and he said that if he could sign one player from a championship club it would be him but unfortunately Burnley want a couple of million for him.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:07 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:so with hindsight now we are nearing the half way point of the season do you think we would have done any better if CCFC had backed Malky by allowing the costly signing of Craig Bellamy ?

I dont think so.

As much as we all know how good Bellamy is, he could not have played week in
week out. His knee would have packed up on him. Liverpool can afford to use
him sparingly and it suits! An injured Craig Bellamy is just a drain on resources

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:19 pm

How many times have I read a thread about Malky wanting signings

SEEING IS BELIEVEING

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:47 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:so with hindsight now we are nearing the half way point of the season do you think we would have done any better if CCFC had backed Malky by allowing the costly signing of Craig Bellamy ?

You would think the addition of Craig Bellamy would have made a huge difference but as we are 3rd and have rampaged to the S/F of the Carling Cup it is hard to see how we could have done any better.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:04 pm

Targetting three new 'signings' is different to targetting loan signings.

If these are to become Cardiff City players I suspect they are already in
the bag. We are all now aware of how Malky studies players he wants to
join him, and investigates to see if they are of the required standard.
The good thing is, whoever they are, they wont be greedy agent-led
toss-pots. So they wont get poached last minute. Thats my theory

I cant wait for January!!

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:47 pm

Yes the time to do these deals is now - do all the work behind the scenes so long as it is not against the FA rules, and then unveil them in time for the Reading home game :ayatollah:

Right winger .Someone with pace who can break away is an essential.

Another forward. Miller may well get injured playing the full 90 week in week out. Gestade is still unknown, and Earnshaw is just past it. Mason is a good one to have in reserve but City need a reliable, experienced and fit striker to come into the mix.

Central midfield. Kiss & Gunn'sson are excellent. Mcphail is a backward step for me, Cowie is immense but City could do with another battler like Kiss to break it up, and feed.

I do reckons he has the 3 in mind, and just hope we can land them.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:00 pm

a striker,maybe a cm or a right winger,deffo a left winger or :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:06 pm

taffyapple wrote:Targetting three new 'signings' is different to targetting loan signings.

Whoah Taffy lets enjoy December....this has been an incredible run. Interesting that you think the targets are already in the bag. I hope you are dead on here and I suspect you are right.
But I have gotten a little jadded by the constant stream of signing threads with no results.....however can't argue with the play on the pitch.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:11 pm

I'm hoping for a target man up front, a winger and a young centre/central defensive midfielder in the same vein as Joe Mason that won't be playing week in week out but has massive potential and is a good rotation option if Gunnarsun, Macca and Kiss are out.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:32 pm

greenlawler wrote:
taffyapple wrote:Targetting three new 'signings' is different to targetting loan signings.

Whoah Taffy lets enjoy December....this has been an incredible run. Interesting that you think the targets are already in the bag. I hope you are dead on here and I suspect you are right.
But I have gotten a little jadded by the constant stream of signing threads with no results.....however can't argue with the play on the pitch.

Dread to think what you would hope if TA is wrong. :|

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:36 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
greenlawler wrote:

:o :?

No pressure on me here then :lol: :lol:

Come on Malky, my kids would miss me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: " Malky Targeting 3 New Signings in January "

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:41 pm

Jon

I am one of them who says and still feels that Malky should be backed sooner rather than later for more players.

About a month ago Malky himself stated if we want promotion we need to strengthen our squad.

Malky has also said there has never been loads of money available.

I still say that Malky went after players and lost them due to money.

I also say Malky has been superb, just got on with what he has available and done his job way above all expectations. :ayatollah:

There are no excuses now by our board as the League cup has brought about £700,000 in, come January and Malky will def have that money surely. :ayatollah:

Malky has performed miracles with the current squad, I am more than happy. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:44 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:It is great to see a manager who understands the finances and how to utilise to the maximum the resources which are avaiable to him.

This is in contrast to Dave Jones who would sign any old sod and hope it worked out no matter how much it cost the club if it didn't.

Spot on Tony. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Jon

I am one of them who says and still feels that Malky should be backed sooner rather than later for more players.

About a month ago Malky himself stated if we want promotion we need to strengthen our squad.

I also say Malky has been superb, just got on with what he has available and done his job way above all expectations. :ayatollah:

There are no excuses now by our board as the League cup has brought about £700,000 in, come January and Malky will def have that money surely. :ayatollah:

Malky has performed miracles with the current squad, I am more than happy. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I hear rumours that Malky's already tied up Kébé for £750k for January so there goes the carling cup money : P

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:54 pm

Aramore wrote:

There are no excuses now by our board as the League cup has brought about £700,000 in come January and Malky will def have that money surely. :ayatollah:

I hear rumours that Malky's already tied up Kébé for £750k for January so there goes the carling cup money : P

How interesting would that be.

Many feel that the League Cup matches drain a squads resources and tire players but
most seem to agree that the Cup run has actually helped Malky's new players to gel
so its been beneficial, and on top of it we get a top class player out of it :lol: :ayatollah:

...and we're not even out yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who will we buy with the Wembley money :occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9:

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:58 pm

taffyapple wrote:
Aramore wrote:

There are no excuses now by our board as the League cup has brought about £700,000 in come January and Malky will def have that money surely. :ayatollah:

Many feel that the League Cup matches drain a squads resources and tire players but
most seem to agree that the Cup run has actually helped Malky's new players to gel
so its been beneficial, and on top of it we get a top class player out of it :lol: :ayatollah:

Dave, I have always been a big fan of all the Cups, including the League Cup, thats why I never miss a match as I love the Cups where no one hardly goes,Same as the Auto Windscreen, never missed an away game in it, from Torquay to Stoke I would travel, prob sad really. So just saying I supported this Cup from round one under Malky. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:58 pm

i fully expect malky to bring in 3 young unknown lads from scotland or perhaps league one who are going to give thier all for the shirt and the team,Would rather that then the likes of macheda or a young lad from the preiership who wouldnt have the bottle for a promotion push in the championship

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
taffyapple wrote:
Aramore wrote:

Dave, I have always been a big fan of all the Cups, including the League Cup, thats why I never miss a match as I love the Cups where no one hardly goes,Same as the Auto Windscreen, never missed an away game in it, from Torquay to Stoke I would travel, prob sad really. So just saying I supported this Cup from round one under Malky. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

massive fan of the cup competions aswell,great night at oxford with the duberry your a grass chants :lol: :lol:

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
taffyapple wrote:
Aramore wrote:

Cant fault you mate, or anyone else who's done them all :ayatollah:

If (for instance) we do get Jimmy Klebe then its down to you lot!!! :clap:

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:03 pm

taffyapple wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
taffyapple wrote:
Aramore wrote:

Cant fault you mate, or anyone else who's done them all :ayatollah:

If (for instance) we do get Jimmy Klebe then its down to you lot!!! :clap:

:lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:32 pm

taffyapple wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
greenlawler wrote:

Oops.... :lol: I take it "dead on" is not a common expression across the pond?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:10 pm

greenlawler wrote:
taffyapple wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
greenlawler wrote:

Oops.... :lol: I take it "dead on" is not a common expression across the pond?

Put it this way feller... I have taken my baseball bat out the closet and am ready
to repel all attempts to kill me :lol:

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:40 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: 3 players and you just know Malky and his team and vt and TG will have done their homework and they will be great.........

Can't wait !!!

Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:22 am

englishbluebird wrote:i fully expect malky to bring in 3 young unknown lads from scotland or perhaps league one who are going to give thier all for the shirt and the team,Would rather that then the likes of macheda or a young lad from the preiership who wouldnt have the bottle for a promotion push in the championship

Need someone with a bit of experience and the knowhow to be in a team who has got out of this league.

As much as I hate Sean Derry, and think he was overrated, his presence in the QPR team and them going up was not a coincidence.

I agree some young flashy player from the PL is not the way to go eg JET.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:06 pm

If Jay Rodriguez is worth 2 million pounds then any club with ambitions of playing in the Premier league has to shell out that amount if you try to get to the top on the cheap it simply wont work

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:26 pm

angelis49 wrote:If Jay Rodriguez is worth 2 million pounds then any club with ambitions of playing in the Premier league has to shell out that amount if you try to get to the top on the cheap it simply wont work

Funny - Could have sworn Norwich, Swansea and QPR were on pretty average budgets?