Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Plastic pitches or grass pitches?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:39 pm

talk of the 72 teams in the football league playing on a plastic pitch next year would you be happy with that or do you want to play on grass? :ayatollah:

Re: Plastic pitches or grass pitches?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:41 pm

grass every day.....

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:46 pm

TNS got a plastic pitch, f*cking shit :evil:

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:08 pm

I don't think it's a great idea as it will completely change the game, playing on plastic pitches.

The surface is so much quicker that I think games might get broken up a lot with all the extra corners / goal kicks / throw in's we would see in games as a result.

Also, players are probably more likely to spraining, twisting and breaking ankles due to the firm nature of the surface.

Grass all the way for me!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:43 pm

Why would there be a need for plastic Pitches Chief ? The condition of pitches now is excellent. So Grass all thge way Plastic has never worked ask Luton and QPR

Now for a different question "Plastic Fans or real Fans ?"

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:45 am

Ne Need For them with mordern pitches plus thier Rubish I dont think any club would want them or want to play on then Non Starter :old:

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:28 pm

Having played on various pitches over the years and on various types of Astro Turf I can see the need for it. In the lower divisions they dont have as much to spend on the pitch and they dont have good training facilities so the introduction of a decent quality pitch means you can train on the pitch without ruining it before the saturday game. They could also hire out the pitch for recreational use so its also an extra income stream.

All this talk of extra sprains and injuries is absolute bollocks, you just need to wear the right type of boots. You cant wear studs but a decent set of mouldies or astro turf trainers should do the trick. In the last year I have played on hard ground (mouldies), soft (studs), astro turfs in Newport and at Sophia Gardens (astros) and indoors at Futsal (futsal trainers) so I have 4 different sets of boots for all of these surfaces. The best pitch I have played on? Sophia Gardens without a shadow of a doubt. For starters the pitch doesnt bobble uncontrollably and when you are running down the line you dont have to beware of divots that could potentially break your ankle without anyone being near you so if you take a bad touch thats your fault, not the pitches.

Plastic pitches are no longer like the Boundary Beach of old and could be the way forward for many small clubs. I would not want to see a plastic pitch at the CCS but then we have the facilities to cope with most weather conditions and the players now have somewhere to train. Other clubs do not have this luxury.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:29 pm

By the way, the best grass pitch I have played on is at Abergavenny Thursdays but the last time I played there it was almost waterlogged. Even the best pitches at grass roots level suffer from the elements.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Depends if you've got lights or not. Our pitch was dreadfull last winter.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:11 pm

Steve Van Halen wrote:By the way, the best grass pitch I have played on is at Abergavenny Thursdays but the last time I played there it was almost waterlogged. Even the best pitches at grass roots level suffer from the elements.

Bet your legs were tired after playing there :lol:

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:48 pm

i train on plastic pitches,but i prefer grass :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Pinster25 wrote:
Steve Van Halen wrote:By the way, the best grass pitch I have played on is at Abergavenny Thursdays but the last time I played there it was almost waterlogged. Even the best pitches at grass roots level suffer from the elements.

Bloody big pitch of that there is no doubt!

Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:00 pm

Went to see City at Q.P.R in 1981 they played on a plastic pitch, it was shocking, I think Luton and Oldham had them about this time as well. So it's grass for me :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:32 pm

Steve Van Halen wrote:
Pinster25 wrote:

Bloody big pitch of that there is no doubt!

:lol: yeah it is, lets just say I wasnt late to bed that night :lol:

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:05 am

Its ok for training but grass all day long!

Think of Keepers jumping up for corners and punching etc it will be painful to land and also defenders and strikers going for headers it could cause injurys way more easier!

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:27 am

I was watching a SSN report on the subject and they interviewed Malky who was on the real grass side of the argument.Though this latest type of plastic grass behaves nothing like the old plastic pitches(apparently)there was was a chairman of a scottish football club who stated that there was a significant decrease in the number of injuries at his club and he was attributing that to this latest type of plastic pitch.Harry Rednap was against this also but the current cost of these pitches compared to to buying and maintaining grass to the standard currently enjoyed at the CCS makes this very viable.I don't think this arguement will go away and if I could get odds on the majority of pitches being plastic in 20 years I would be tempted to have a punt.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Its not viable for us, we dont need it. We have training facilities and income streams outside of just gate receipts, this is more of a benefit for smaller clubs that can use the pitch for training on and hiring out to locals. Sophia gardens is something like £45 an hour for the full pitch, if you put that across to hiring out your pitch you could potentially make an extra thousand pounds a week. Seems like peanuts but that would pay for itself.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Its ok for lower league teams who cant afford proper grass! :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:33 pm

Its a different game on plastic. DIfferent tempo, different bounce, different injuries.
I hated playing on the stuff. Its good to train on in the winter and thats it.

Plastic grass - Plastic football.