Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Boxing fans

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:23 pm

ELY BOY wrote:I'd urge you to watch Calzaghe v Lacy again, we were spoilt with Calzaghe. For me by far the best British boxer. I'm on round four at the moment and Calzaghe is giving a boxing lesson as he did all fight. What a Welsh legend.

I agree.

He was the real deal

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:38 pm

Calzaghe v Lacy is my favourite fight.. Boxed his ears off, and finally then started to get the recognition he deserved.. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:01 pm

Let us know if he wins Chief :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: :lol:

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:05 am

Lacy was over hyped,the next Mike Tyson . JC did a better job on Kessler as Kessler wanted to fight.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:36 am

IMO calzaghe was overrated who never fought a good fighter in his prime, much like mike tyson, the heavyweights in his era were pretty much nothings.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:53 am

CraigCCFC wrote:IMO calzaghe was overrated who never fought a good fighter in his prime, much like mike tyson, the heavyweights in his era were pretty much nothings.

Agree with the Tyson bit but Joe had the fastest hands I've ever seen for a middle weight.As with all great boxers he did fight some bums but its about box office and our promotors and match makers cannot compete with the americans.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:09 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:
CraigCCFC wrote:IMO calzaghe was overrated who never fought a good fighter in his prime, much like mike tyson, the heavyweights in his era were pretty much nothings.

Agree with the Tyson bit but Joe had the fastest hands I've ever seen for a middle weight.As with all great boxers he did fight some bums but its about box office and our promotors and match makers cannot compete with the americans.

thats the problem with boxing, its all about money :evil: it will be a travesty if Mayweather Jr and Pacquiao never fight, sadly i can't see it happening :( Calzaghe did have fast hands, but he tended to slap a lot, it just wound me up......Fastest i've ever seen in any boxer was a toss up between Sugar Ray and Meldrick Taylor (would have been one of the greats if Chavez hadnt fucked him up) that handspeed was ridiculous.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:31 pm

ELY BOY wrote:
aj1927 wrote:Lacy was over hyped,the next Mike Tyson . JC did a better job on Kessler as Kessler wanted to fight.

I agree but the build up to this fight made the win all the more special, send the "new Mike Tyson" back to America with his tail between his legs. Loved every second of it.

The Kessler DVD is waiting on my bed to be watched tonight ;)

Nukes, it was a draw in the end haha.

I always have said that Calzache was overrated :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:27 pm

Meldrick Taylor's hand speed was unrivalled IMO .... However go on YouTube and watch Nonito Donaire land 15 punches in 3 seconds.... That's 5 per sec....only fighter Tyson faught that was in his prime was ..... Oh yeah he didn't.
Still one of the quickest rises to the top ever for a HW. Wouldve loved to seen it when Holmes faught him and he had been a few years younger.
As for JC being overrated...... LMAO you find me any fighter who retires undefeated this day and age with a title reign like his to compare to the greatest super middleweight this country has ever produced and then we can say he is overrated.... Good luck finding one. Even Froch ( who Joe did avoid ) said he is Britains best ever.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:19 pm

aj1927 wrote:Meldrick Taylor's hand speed was unrivalled IMO .... However go on YouTube and watch Nonito Donaire land 15 punches in 3 seconds.... That's 5 per sec....only fighter Tyson faught that was in his prime was ..... Oh yeah he didn't.
Still one of the quickest rises to the top ever for a HW. Wouldve loved to seen it when Holmes faught him and he had been a few years younger.
As for JC being overrated...... LMAO you find me any fighter who retires undefeated this day and age with a title reign like his to compare to the greatest super middleweight this country has ever produced and then we can say he is overrated.... Good luck finding one. Even Froch ( who Joe did avoid ) said he is Britains best ever.

If you was on about my "overated" comment then you misundersood the context of it Chief. In my view he was pound for pound one of the best Boxers on the planet in his era :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:54 pm

aj1927 wrote:Lacy was over hyped,the next Mike Tyson . JC did a better job on Kessler as Kessler wanted to fight.

NO!! f**k OFF WAS HE OVERHYPED (no offence to you)

Lacy was Americas new superstar, and by fear alone would have demolished
many a fighter who was just waiting to get caught by that "Left Hook"
Same as Tyson.

But he met possibly the most fearless boxer of the last twenty years. Calzaghe
stepped IN to a puncher, where most boxers used lateral movement, distance
or pure fear to avoid a punch.... Joe closed the distance immediately, then
offered them out in a punch-up...

Lacy could have been good?

but his career was destroyed by a feller who basically stuck his head in his face
and said "left hook wha?"

america will NEVER admit that

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:10 pm

taffyapple wrote:

Same as Tyson.

but his career was destroyed by a feller who basically stuck his head in his face

Summed up what I wanted to say

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Joe Calzaghe - Peter Manfredo Jnr. showed the class and his ability to demolish an opponent

best round i've seen in years has to be round 12 of "Froch - Kessler" in super six

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:03 am

Can anybody name 1 fighter Joe Calzaghe fought who was at world class level who wasnt past it?? If JC fought Roy Jones Jr 6 years earlier instead of JC ducking him RJ would demolish him and anyone with half a boxing brain would know that.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:31 am

CraigCCFC wrote:Can anybody name 1 fighter Joe Calzaghe fought who was at world class level who wasnt past it?? If JC fought Roy Jones Jr 6 years earlier instead of JC ducking him RJ would demolish him and anyone with half a boxing brain would know that.

Byron Mitchell had just lost a world title, was only 30 when they fought
Omar Sheika was a young highly rated American
Mikkel Kessler was an unbeaten World Champion with 20 odd knockouts to his name
Jeff Lacy was an unbeaten World Champion with 20 odd knockouts to his name

Regarding Roy Jones... It was Jones who swerved a fight with Calzaghe and RJJ has
admitted that himself. Joe was up and coming and very dangerous (still knocking guys out)
Roy Jones was moving up through the weights and Calzaghe was just a risk he didnt
need to take, not 'fear' - just business sense, there wouldnt have been much money
in a Calzaghe fiht at the time. A prime Roy Jones without the steroid abuse (oh yes)
against a prime Joe Calzaghe (without a fucked up left hand) would have been a hell
of a fight. But at the time Jones was at his very best, Calzaghe was still learning his
trade

Another 'American great' - Bernard Hopkins actually renaged on a deal to fight Joe
in the UK. He'd agreed terms. then the following day said he wanted double the
money and to fight in America. Again, the big hitting southpaw was too much of a
risk for too little gain.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:19 am

Stating fighters are world champions doesnt make them world class boxers......David Haye was a world champ, no where near world class.....i didnt say Calzaghe wasnt a very good boxer, he clearly was, i said he was overrated, which i will always stick to. Amir Khan is well on his way, hopefully he'll get a superfight soon

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:02 am

taffyapple wrote:

Same as Tyson.

Lacy protected untested on world stage and severely overhyped in America...
Look at his record who had he faught before he faced Joe? No one , Robin Reid was a good few years past his best and even in his best he wasn't that good. Tsypko,Sheika,Vanderpool and Pemberton all limited opposition.
As Calzaghe Fans we argue when People knock Joe and his record but in all honesty who in the list above would you put as a genuine threat ? Sheika and Reid both beaten by JC many years before Jeff boxed em...

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:01 pm

ELY BOY wrote:
CraigCCFC wrote:Stating fighters are world champions doesnt make them world class boxers......David Haye was a world champ, no where near world class.....i didnt say Calzaghe wasnt a very good boxer, he clearly was, i said he was overrated, which i will always stick to. Amir Khan is well on his way, hopefully he'll get a superfight soon

You've said Calzaghe was overrated then you mention Khan :lol: Khan isn't fit to lace Calzaghes boots.

Not yet, if you read my post it clearly states "on his way"

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:57 pm

aj1927 wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

Same as Tyson.

Lacy protected untested on world stage and severely overhyped in America...
Look at his record who had he faught before he faced Joe? No one , Robin Reid was a good few years past his best and even in his best he wasn't that good. Tsypko,Sheika,Vanderpool and Pemberton all limited opposition.
As Calzaghe Fans we argue when People knock Joe and his record but in all honesty who in the list above would you put as a genuine threat ? Sheika and Reid both beaten by JC many years before Jeff boxed em...

When Calzaghe boxed Omar Sheika, the feller had just beaten Glen Johnson, he was young
hungry and rated one of the hottest prospects in the States at SuperMiddleweight

He smashed Byron Mitchell who had just been robbed of a World Title by Sven Ottke.
Mitchell was a very dangerous fighter, rated in America

Mikkel Kessler, after Calzaghe destroyed Jeff Lacy, HE was touted to be the one
who finally put 'pitty-patty' Calzaghe to sleep. America LOVED the big Dane..they
hated Calzaghe purely because....

The great American boxing public AND writers and pundits were all creaming over
Jeff Lacy... Calzaghe destroyed his career.

Hopkins backed down from a fight that had already been shaken on

Roy Jones didn't need the risk at that time.

The only facts about Calzaghe should be the ones from inside the ring...

Everyone who ever hit him hard, got hit back harder times ten!!

The only really close decision in his career was against Hopkins who refused
to fight. Hopkins went into his shell after 5 rounds and only came out to butt
grab, wrestle, hold AND fake a low blow and grab 5 minutes rest cos he could
not breathe. Calzaghe STILL found a way.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:30 pm

ELY BOY wrote:
CraigCCFC wrote:
ELY BOY wrote:
CraigCCFC wrote:Stating fighters are world champions doesnt make them world class boxers......David Haye was a world champ, no where near world class.....i didnt say Calzaghe wasnt a very good boxer, he clearly was, i said he was overrated, which i will always stick to. Amir Khan is well on his way, hopefully he'll get a superfight soon

You've said Calzaghe was overrated then you mention Khan :lol: Khan isn't fit to lace Calzaghes boots.

Not yet, if you read my post it clearly states "on his way"

Until he gets landed and sparked out again.

I will say with Khan that his punch resistance has improved dramatically under
Freddie Roach.

I dont believe there's such a thing as a good chin. Its all about believing you
can take what the other feller has got. Self-Psychology, heart, belief!!

The right trainer, and enough hard sparring can help there.

I think Khan is genuine World Class now

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:08 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:Can anybody name 1 fighter Joe Calzaghe fought who was at world class level who wasnt past it?? If JC fought Roy Jones Jr 6 years earlier instead of JC ducking him RJ would demolish him and anyone with half a boxing brain would know that.

Kessler and Lacey. But Joe could only beat who was in front of him. The better the opponent the better he performed. Yes i would of loved to of seen him against Benn ,Eubank, Watson, and that irish fella, but it wasn't to be.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

Kessler and Lacey. But Joe could only beat who was in front of him. The better the opponent the better he performed. Yes i would of loved to of seen him against Benn ,Eubank, Watson, and that irish fella, but it wasn't to be.

that Irish feller admitted he would not wanted to have fought Calzaghe, Joe
was one of the reasons he retired

Benn actually admitted he doubts he could have beaten Calzaghe at his best
but "it would have been one hell of a rumble!" (agreed)

Interesting article below:

http://cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/artic ... lzaghe.htm

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Joe faught Eubank because Collins didn't want to face Joe after Roy Jones Jnr pulled out of a proposed match up.
Bernard Hopkins had agreed a deal to fight Joe but pulled out despite Frank warren offering him a unconfirmed 2m to face joe.
Roy Jones refused Joe's advances on several occasions until joe had to much to offer for Roy to refuse( of course by this time Rjj was well into his decline from the sport).
The so called great Sven Ottke refused Joe despite Joes willingness to travel to face Sven.( for the record Sven wouldn't consider a fight in the uk that would've probably doubled Svens collected purses to date.)
Obviously Bhop faced Joe on the back of Joe's appearence at Hattons attempt at Money May, but I often wonder if joe hadn't of been there maybe Bhop might still not know enough about JC or Mikkel Kessler.
If I'm honest about it when I watched the fight live I always score the fight myself(I know I'm a saddo) and I had Bhop by 2 rounds.... However I have watched the fight back several times and every time I have joe by 2-3 rounds.

The only fighter Joe has ever avoided was Carl Froch. This I believe is because joe disapproved of the way Froch continued to call out and belittle Joe. And I think that joe felt he wasn't at the same level to warrant a match(@ the time so did most of the boxing world)
Instead of giving Carl what he wanted he felt that giving him the opposite would make Carl irate and turn even more people against him . Funny thing is though I think Joe has been proved right, since joe retired Froch has been nothing but respectful to JC and on many occasions has stated his admiration for the man ( and Carl is now enjoying the healthiest time in his career fa wise and plaudits wise)

If they hadve faced off though I see it as a barn stormer in early rounds with frochs power putting joe on canvas and then in mid to late rounds joes workrate and speed causing to much trouble for Froch who keeps looking for that big shot again.
Joe wins by late stoppage or unanimous points victory.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:47 pm

JC Could only fight who was put in front of him and he did it succsesfully by retiring undefeated.As for Carl Froch the frock I can only chuckle when he was calling Joe on....Frock ain't,never was and never will be even championship material IMO,it would have been the mismatch of the century,good job it didn't happen. :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:07 pm

aj1927 wrote:Joe faught Eubank because Collins didn't want to face Joe after Roy Jones Jnr pulled out of a proposed match up.
Bernard Hopkins had agreed a deal to fight Joe but pulled out despite Frank warren offering him a unconfirmed 2m to face joe.
Roy Jones refused Joe's advances on several occasions until joe had to much to offer for Roy to refuse( of course by this time Rjj was well into his decline from the sport).
The so called great Sven Ottke refused Joe despite Joes willingness to travel to face Sven.( for the record Sven wouldn't consider a fight in the uk that would've probably doubled Svens collected purses to date.)
Obviously Bhop faced Joe on the back of Joe's appearence at Hattons attempt at Money May, but I often wonder if joe hadn't of been there maybe Bhop might still not know enough about JC or Mikkel Kessler.
If I'm honest about it when I watched the fight live I always score the fight myself(I know I'm a saddo) and I had Bhop by 2 rounds.... However I have watched the fight back several times and every time I have joe by 2-3 rounds.

The only fighter Joe has ever avoided was Carl Froch. This I believe is because joe disapproved of the way Froch continued to call out and belittle Joe. And I think that joe felt he wasn't at the same level to warrant a match(@ the time so did most of the boxing world)
Instead of giving Carl what he wanted he felt that giving him the opposite would make Carl irate and turn even more people against him . Funny thing is though I think Joe has been proved right, since joe retired Froch has been nothing but respectful to JC and on many occasions has stated his admiration for the man ( and Carl is now enjoying the healthiest time in his career fa wise and plaudits wise)

If they hadve faced off though I see it as a barn stormer in early rounds with frochs power putting joe on canvas and then in mid to late rounds joes workrate and speed causing to much trouble for Froch who keeps looking for that big shot again.
Joe wins by late stoppage or unanimous points victory.

Spot on until you get to Carl Frock. I even agree about the first time i watched the BHOP
fight, i thought the jailhouse punk had won. But I've watched it loads since and no way
did Hopkins win that fight

Frock? he's at the pinnacle of his career RIGHT NOW and is ONE of the best in a pretty
unimpressive 'Supersix' tournament. The JC that beat Lacy and Kessler would have made
mincemeat of the lot of them. Froch HAS improved, but two/three years ago, he had done
nothing, nor beat anyone to justify getting a shot against JC. Calzaghe was in a different
league to Froch. All the chopsing off in the world was never going to change that... Calzaghe
would have embarassed him

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Yes Joe did face Eubank but unfortunately it was at the end of Eubanks career and the start of Joe's . But Froch was defo not in the same class as Joe, And TBH if he fought everyone that called him out he would be fighting every week. But it was Froch that needed Joe and not the other way round,had he been more respectful then maybe he would of got that fight (If JC was bored) :lol: :lol: :lol: