Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Nigel Benn V Gerald Mcclellan

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:09 am

Just seen the documentary :o i remember that fight well and that was some programme . The fight has never been shown since but they showed all the knockdowns and key moments again.
What came out of the programme is that the trainer of Mcclellan was a joke who did not have a clue what he was doing. Nobody in that ring or ringside could not pick up the warning signs that Mcclellan was in big trouble. He could not keep his gum shield in, The twitching,. But since that day Boxing has moved on.
Mcclellan was not a nice individual a bloke who took part in Dog fighting. Putting a Labrador with his snout taped up so his Pit bull could kill it :evil: if you get chance to see this Programme do so!! it was very interesting.

Re: Nigel Benn V Gerald Mcclellan

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:52 am

McClellan gets no real sympathy from me after watching last night.

Sacked his real manager to save money (then had that lunatic training him).
Constantly stated he wanted to kill Benn before the fight, so no respect.
He loved the fact he was seen as one of the nastiest boxers around at the time and revelled in it.
Family only interested in the money they could get for/from him.
Worst part (as you mention) when he taped a labradors' mouth together and set his dog to kill it.
What an evil horrible man he was and what goes around has certainly come around for him, could argue he got what he deserved.

I was surprised by some of Benn's admissions about his life.

Very good program.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:02 am

Nuclearblue wrote:Just seen the documentary :o i remember that fight well and that was some programme . The fight has never been shown since but they showed all the knockdowns and key moments again.
What came out of the programme is that the trainer of Mcclellan was a joke who did not have a clue what he was doing. Nobody in that ring or ringside could not pick up the warning signs that Mcclellan was in big trouble. He could not keep his gum shield in, The twitching,. But since that day Boxing has moved on.
Mcclellan was not a nice individual a bloke who took part in Dog fighting. Putting a Labrador with his snout taped up so his Pit bull could kill it :evil: if you get chance to see this Programme do so!! it was very interesting.

Yes NB a very interesting program that was. I did feel sorry for the guy until they mentioned the dog fighting and the labrador having his mouth taped shut so that his dog could rip it to bits. After that I couldn't give a shit for him sorry.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:07 am

glas wrote:McClellan gets no real sympathy from me after watching last night.

Sacked his real manager to save money (then had that lunatic training him).
Constantly stated he wanted to kill Benn before the fight, so no respect.
He loved the fact he was seen as one of the nastiest boxers around at the time and revelled in it.
Family only interested in the money they could get for/from him.
Worst part (as you mention) when he taped a labradors' mouth together and set his dog to kill it.
What an evil horrible man he was and what goes around has certainly come around for him, could argue he got what he deserved.

I was surprised by some of Benn's admissions about his life.

Very good program.

Yes sacking his manager the worst decision of his life as he is now confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life. Had he had the proper team in his corner he would of beat Benn and easily IMO. Benn was lucky in that first round when he fell out of the ring as he had ten seconds to get back in. If he fell completely of the canvas he would of had 20 seconds.
But as you said he was a very nasty bloke who would of self destructed anyway, he made Tyson seem perfectly normal.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:12 am

That was not a boxing match, that was two lads trying to kill each other and the officials and trainers let them go.

It was very similair to a dog fight because if they had stuck to the rules then benn would have been KO'd in round 1.

I remember watching that fight and saying to the lads,"One of these boys is gonna get killed tonight".

All in all a bad night for boxing

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:20 am

Johnny Rythmn wrote:That was not a boxing match, that was two lads trying to kill each other and the officials and trainers let them go.

It was very similair to a dog fight because if they had stuck to the rules then benn would have been KO'd in round 1.

I remember watching that fight and saying to the lads,"One of these boys is gonna get killed tonight".

Spot on there Johnny. That was the most brutal Boxing match ever. And never would it ever be repeated again, as it would of been stopped today. One comment by Benn that made me think WTF after the fight he said about McClellan in hospital "Rather him than me" But as some have said above i dont have much sympathy as unlike that dog he had a choice when he went in that ring and he didnt have his hands taped behind his back. In a way he got what he deserved .

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:55 am

Nuclearblue wrote:
Johnny Rythmn wrote:That was not a boxing match, that was two lads trying to kill each other and the officials and trainers let them go.

Spot on there Johnny. That was the most brutal Boxing match ever. And never would it ever be repeated again, as it would of been stopped today. One comment by Benn that made me think WTF after the fight he said about McClellan in hospital "Rather him than me" But as some have said above i dont have much sympathy as unlike that dog he had a choice when he went in that ring and he didnt have his hands taped behind his back. In a way he got what he deserved .

Yeah that "Rather than me" quote was bottom line honesty but Benn always spoke with a slur after that fight as well.

f**k the pair of 'em anyway I never liked Benn either :lol:

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:18 pm

He wasn't a nice guy, but to say he got what he deserved isn't right

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:22 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:He wasn't a nice guy, but to say he got what he deserved isn't right

True enough mate.

I f*cking hate judges :old:

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:33 pm

I watched the last half hour. Never even knew anything about this fight :o I then watched it on youtube and found it all quite sad.
BUT I didnt see the part about the Labrador. So now i think f**k HIM!!

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:35 pm

milly44 wrote:I watched the last half hour. Never even knew anything about this fight :o I then watched it on youtube and found it all quite sad.

the part about the labrador only came from his ex-trainer....who also thinks he's a world class boxing coach, even though he doesnt know how to tape hands? take what stan johnson says with a very large pinch of salt!

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:39 pm

This is the true tradegy of boxing, watch from about 3mins onwards , to think he was still fighting during this recording is shameful. What a talent he was....fastest hands i've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qEhzDI5QGk

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:39 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:
milly44 wrote:I watched the last half hour. Never even knew anything about this fight :o I then watched it on youtube and found it all quite sad.

the part about the labrador only came from his ex-trainer....who also thinks he's a world class boxing coach, even though he doesnt know how to tape hands? take what stan johnson says with a very large pinch of salt!

To be honest I was watching it, but not really paying all that much attention. Was his trainer the bloke who looked like a bellend in that hat? because he wasnt all there either.
Yep your probably right like I say I probably shouldnt pass judgement as I wasnt paying much attention, but I love dogs and have a puppy lab, and if that was true then I stand by what I said.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:07 pm

milly44 wrote:
CraigCCFC wrote:

To be honest I was watching it, but not really paying all that much attention. Was his trainer the bloke who looked like a bellend in that hat? because he wasnt all there either.
Yep your probably right like I say I probably shouldnt pass judgement as I wasnt paying much attention, but I love dogs and have a puppy lab, and if that was true then I stand by what I said.

It is true, on the programe his sister even said that he was involved in dog fighting!

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Quite simply the best fight I have ever seen. Benn was a hero of mine who got ripped off in the Eubank draw

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:10 pm

involved with dog fighting yes, not the labrador part!! if anyone thinks a person who has been involved with dog fighting deserves to be brain damaged, blind and partially deaf are not right in the head.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:17 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:involved with dog fighting yes, not the labrador part!! if anyone thinks a person who has been involved with dog fighting deserves to be brain damaged, blind and partially deaf are not right in the head.

dog fighting right or wrong this is my opinion.
If its two potentionly nasty dogs you know the types, and lunatic owners keep them off the streets and keep what you do away from me. Still Wrong in my eyes but less so than what is suggested went on.
Tieing a Labradors gob shut (mild placid lovable dog) and letting it be killed for a laugh then Im sorry I couldnt give a hoot about the bloke. Would I rather him be ok yes, as im not the type to wish illness or harm on anyone, but hey he wont be getting much sympathy from me!!

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:16 pm

He came across as a sick b*stard (if true of course).
Cannot believe someone would do that to a dog. Any make of dog never mind such a useless soppy type as a labrador, who only exist to eat (Friends have them and told me so). They always seem to be big friendly loving things and are certainly not aggressive, or fighters.
Disgusting human being if it is true what he did.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:09 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:involved with dog fighting yes, not the labrador part!! if anyone thinks a person who has been involved with dog fighting deserves to be brain damaged, blind and partially deaf are not right in the head.

I think you'll find anyone who even remotely thinks dog fighting is acceptable is not right in the head.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:16 pm

Berwyn wrote:

I think you'll find anyone who even remotely thinks dog fighting is acceptable is not right in the head.

I agree 100% dog fighting is disgusting, but to say a person DESERVES to be brain damaged because of it is not nice, i accept the no sympathy toward him but not the deserved bit.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:00 pm

Haven't watched the programme as of yet but my avatar will tell you where I stand.... The G-man has been my Avatar since I joined this forum and I have no intentions of changing it because a man who has had a long time greivence with the Mclellan family for many years says to a reporter "he taped up a labs mouth and put it in a fight".
If this was even remotely true the press and various animal rights people in US would have jumped all over this.

Like I say I haven't seen it yet I'm just responding to comments on here...

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:35 pm

Theres a lot more to this than meets the eye. His family decided to take him back to America from the UK where he was receiving good treatment for his injurys and some think they took him too early and this had a detrimental effect on his health............

For what its worth i was actually at the London event they showed on the doc whereby Benn and McClellan met for the first time in 12 years and it was very emotional for all in attendance.

It was a horrible ending to what was the best fight to take place in recent times in the UK IMO and it'll be a long long time before we'll ever have that type of atmosphere at another boxing event, if it happens at all.

The Documentary was fantastic though. :ayatollah:

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:42 pm

Berwyn wrote:

That contest was no different to a dog fight and anyone who enjoyed that fight I suspect would enjoy watching two pitbulls biteing the faces off each other.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:09 pm

when i seen what he had been doing with dogs, i lost all sympathy for gerald

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:19 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:

His Sister admitted to the Dog fighting and basically said she was not proud of her Brother for that Chief

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:40 pm

f**k Mcclellen,he`s a c**t.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/stor ... 41,00.html

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:41 pm

To answer a couple of points on here especially Craig.
1/ my use of the word "deserved" in hindsight was wrong but in my view what comes around goes around. He was a real nasty character not a guy you would like to meet.
On the Dog fighting there was a very good chance the thing with the Labrador did happen as it is common for these people who do this Dog fighting to steal Dogs of the street and let there Dog rip it to pieces, as to get a dog to fight you need to get them to taste blood, so they actually do this. A lot of dogs that go missing are used for this purpose and that is why my back Garden is secure at all times, as living in the Valleys Dog fighting is more common.

And Johnny to compare Boxing with Dog fighting just aint right. The two Boxers are there on there own free will, the Dogs have no choice. And if they aint good fighters they just kill the dog end of.

And yes that trainer of Mcclellan was as loopy as they come and did not have the slightest clue on the Boxing game but that was Mcclellan's fault as well as he hired him because he was the cheapest option.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:36 pm

remember the fight.i had benn to win at bookies.due to fact g.m had never gone more than 8rounds.from about 4rounds in gm has his mouth half open suggesting he,s breathing out of his backside.im sure if manny stewart had trained him for this fight he would have got him so much fitter.that coach???dear me....an over realiance on raw power cost gm that night.benn was mega fit and could bang.nigel spoke very openly about his life because he has found the lord and is a born again christian. his past ,he will no doubt feel forgiven for so he won,t feel any need to hide it.im pleased n.b has found some peace and serenity and a purpose for his life. i hope things can improve for the g man

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:38 pm

jtc wrote:remember the fight.i had benn to win at bookies.due to fact g.m had never gone more than 8rounds.from about 4rounds in gm has his mouth half open suggesting he,s breathing out of his backside.im sure if manny stewart had trained him for this fight he would have got him so much fitter.that coach???dear me....an over realiance on raw power cost gm that night.benn was mega fit and could bang.nigel spoke very openly about his life because he has found the lord and is a born again christian. his past ,he will no doubt feel forgiven for so he won,t feel any need to hide it.im pleased n.b has found some peace and serenity and a purpose for his life. i hope things can improve for the g man

They reckon why he had his gum shield hanging out was because of the injuries he sustained

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:55 pm

regarding the fight it was quite clear that there was something seriously wrong with mcclellan during and in between rounds and I find it generally disturbing to watch

gotta agree with the posters who say there is no evidence that the incident with the lab took place although any form of dog fighting between any breed is sick and should carry a lengthy jail term as animal cruelty is the ultimate act of cowardice(own a black lab and happily accepted the suspended jail sentence i recieved for knocking a neigbour out for throwing a rock at him)

massive fan of Benn who should be in the hall of fame although he wouldnt have layed a glove on a prime roy jones jnr