Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

HUGHTON PONDERS DISMISSAL APPEAL

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:04 pm

Manager Chris Hughton was left to reflect on more misfortune after Blues lost a second game in five days despite deserving more from both encounters.

Having been mightily unlucky in losing to SC Braga in the UEFA Europa League in midweek, Hughton's side went on to put in a good, containing display against Cardiff City in South Wales.

A 0-0 half-time scoreline was the least Blues warranted for holding the threat of the Bluebirds, and striker Kenny Miller in particular, at bay. The hosts didn't trouble visiting keeper Boaz Myhill for the majority of the game.

But the controversial 63rd minute sending off of Curtis Davies - Hughton felt there was enough "doubt" to warrant it not being a straight red - changed proceedings.

Blues needed to reshuffle and took off Nikola Zigic, replacing him with defender Pablo Ibanez. And it was a slip from the Spaniard that let in Miller for the only goal of the game five minutes later.

Had it not been for that mistake, Hughton believes his side would still have held on for at least a point the way they were defending as a team against the third placed team in the npower Championship.

He told bcfc.com: "You come to Cardiff expecting a tough game because it's always a difficult place to come. They've started the season well and are a good team.

"They can cause you problems and be a real threat - Kenny Miller in particular. But at half-time I was very happy with how we had contained them.

"We defended well as a team and our keeper had very little to do. His team-mates in front of him worked extremely hard as a unit to protect things and 0-0 was the least we deserved at the break.

"Did the sending off change things? I guess it did in some respects, but I was confident that the way we were playing that we'd still prevent them from creating chances even with ten men.

"But we gifted them a goal through a defensive mistake. That's not pointing the finger because Pablo himself knows what happened and is as disappointed as anyone. And a mistake was, I think, the only way they were going to get a decent chance the way we were playing.

"Even with a man less we kept going and tried to get an equaliser, once again showing the determination we have. But in the end we lost another game that we didn't deserve to.

"That's what is disappointing, because if were played off the park against a side that forced Boaz Myhill into loads of saves then we'd have to hold our hands up. But we weren't."

Hughton and his coaches will now discuss whether or not to appeal Davies' red card after seeing further footage of it.

He added: "We'll see about that once we've had a further look at it but at the moment it's just a feeling of disappointment.

"When Curtis sprang back up to his feet and indicated that he'd touched the ball I knew at that point it was harsh.

"And if there's any doubt - and I think there was doubt - about a decision like that then I don't think a straight red card can be given. But we'll view the incident again and gather our thoughts."

http://www.bcfc.com/page/News/NewsDetai ... 36,00.html

Re: HUGHTON PONDERS DISMISSAL APPEAL

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Im not sure any appeal would be successful....

Even if the red card was rescinded to a yellow the player had already been booked and would have been sent off anyway??

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:12 pm

I haven't seen a replay of the incident, but the ref made the call at the time, without TV help (as per FIFA rules) and did what he did.

If it happened against us and we felt aggrieved, it wouldn't change anything, either.

The result stands:

Cardiff 1 - 0 Brum

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:08 pm

I would appeal it, it wasn't even a foul in my opinion. It should be wiped out.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:58 pm

my initial thought was he won the ball but he does clatter through the back of him in the follow through. tricky one, havent seen it in slow mo

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:58 pm

On another day Whitts may have bagged acouple.I didn't expect them to be so negative

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Looked at it a few times now. Cant see the feller getting a touch on
the ball though. Looks to have JUST rolled away from his toe and
then his trailing leg took Kenny down. Close, but no cigar Hughton!!

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:39 pm

taffyapple wrote:Looked at it a few times now. Cant see the feller getting a touch on
the ball though. Looks to have JUST rolled away from his toe and
then his trailing leg took Kenny down. Close, but no cigar Hughton!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: