Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Saunders for Wales

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:36 pm

I know we're barely a week after Gary Speed's tragic passing, however with so much football being played since thoughts will naturally lead to who will now be his successor.

My choice at the moment would have to be Saunders - he's a passionate Welshman, a young manager which will marry well with the average age of the squad, and Donny's result today (along with others recently) prove he's got talent and is doing a good job. The levels he reached as a player will have brought as a result great contacts in the game considering ex-managers and team mates, an important factor where he is trying to build relationships with clubs re our player base and call upon advice - an aspect Speed was clearly clever undertaking.

No-one can ever truly replace Speed or bring what he did to a Welsh manager's role, however Saunders for me is the most natural replacement at this stage that can continue where we left off against Norway. I would like to see an experienced head alongside him though.

The FAW have confirmed the search for a new manager won't formally start until the new year out of respect for Gary Speed, and rightly so.