Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WHO WOULD YOU LEAVE OUT

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:01 am

If we bring in new players, then who do we leave out, we do have a fair bit of cover and I'm concerend that any new faces need to fit in and not rock the boat. :old:

Re: WHO WOULD YOU LEAVE OUT

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:15 am

BigGwynram wrote:If we bring in new players, then who do we leave out, we do have a fair bit of cover and I'm concerend that any new faces need to fit in and not rock the boat. :old:

EXACTOMUNDO!!

There's no weakness in the side at the moment. None. Whoever comes in will
have to wait his chance.

Erm.... this IS Cardiff City we're talking about innit?? :? :? :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:28 am

maybe conway if we bring in a winger he hasnt done much over the last few games but works hard and is a good player

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:30 am

nicky evans wrote:maybe conway if we bring in a winger he hasnt done much over the last few games but works hard and is a good player

Yeh possibly. But as you say, he works hard, he supports his full-back
and we ARE still winning!!

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:35 am

ye we cant change a winning team just hope we dont get any injuries this month then we will be flying

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:38 am

BigGwynram wrote:If we bring in new players, then who do we leave out, we do have a fair bit of cover and I'm concerend that any new faces need to fit in and not rock the boat. :old:

Gwyn, Malky targeted a left sided winger and the player(s) that he was hopeful on bringing in (and still is come January) are in my opinion good enough to put Conway on the bench.

Conway is decent enough but his position is certainly an area where we need competition.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:41 am

injuries are obviously going to be the main concern and players from the premiership clubs are not going to be too keen on warming our bench waiting for players to get injured
it is clear though that the malaysians WILL back Malky and ive got 100% faith in our manager whatever he decided to do :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:43 am

carlccfc wrote:

Gwyn, Malky targeted a left sided winger and the player(s) that he was hopeful on bringing in (and still is come January) are in my opinion good enough to put Conway on the bench.

Conway is decent enough but his position is certainly an area where we need competition.

Yeh he's battling away is Conway. He puts a full shift in every game but doesnt
seem to be whizzing in quite as many of them killer balls as he was. Perhaps
the formation doesnt suit him? Another winger might gee him up a bit!!

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:45 am

I think you need to look beyond the starting 11 to the 16 match day squad and for me the player currently under risk of being left out is Earnie, I hate to say it but he really hasn't set the world alight. Out of the current match day squad you could also add Steve McPhail to that.

Right now the starting 11 picks itself with the 4-5-1 formation which MM has developed so for me the question is who moves off the bench to improve the options for MM. With everyone fit the bench would likely be Heaton, Gerrard, Mason and Gestede with the only position available being for a wide midfield player in my opinion. That would give MM the option of changing Conway or Cowie. Up front Mason and Gestede have so far proved better options than Earnie in my opinion and he will only get a role should Miller, Mason or Gestede get an injury.

With the amount of games we have we still need more cover in particular for Whiits, Gunnarson and Kiss as McPhail doesn't have the athletic nature of Gunnar and Kiss and certainly not the quality or goalscoring threat of Whitts.

The problem is that the players MM has brought into the club have won our hearts and minds because of their efforts and when he does bring players in they will have a lot to live up to.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:49 am

i dont think its only a case of "who do you leave out" its a case of having a squad with the ability to alternate and keep players fresh and fit, So as proffesional footballers they should appreciate that malky needs to bring more players in!
They all need rest from game to game and competition for there position to keep them working to there full potention!?!?

Just my opinion
Tim :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:10 am

The fear is, injuries and burn out. What if for instance Conway get's injured. We've got no other "winger's". We have'nt had a target man for 6 weeks, fortunately we've coped without Gestede.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 am

castleblue wrote:I think you need to look beyond the starting 11 to the 16 match day squad and for me the player currently under risk of being left out is Earnie, I hate to say it but he really hasn't set the world alight. Out of the current match day squad you could also add Steve McPhail to that.

Right now the starting 11 picks itself with the 4-5-1 formation which MM has developed so for me the question is who moves off the bench to improve the options for MM. With everyone fit the bench would likely be Heaton, Gerrard, Mason and Gestede with the only position available being for a wide midfield player in my opinion. That would give MM the option of changing Conway or Cowie. Up front Mason and Gestede have so far proved better options than Earnie in my opinion and he will only get a role should Miller, Mason or Gestede get an injury.

With the amount of games we have we still need more cover in particular for Whiits, Gunnarson and Kiss as McPhail doesn't have the athletic nature of Gunnar and Kiss and certainly not the quality or goalscoring threat of Whitts.

The problem is that the players MM has brought into the club have won our hearts and minds because of their efforts and when he does bring players in they will have a lot to live up to.

Several good posts on this.
Including this one.
The only thing I'd disagree with would be I'd have Blake on the bench to cover defensive midfield cenre half and both full backs.

In terms of our squad I'd also agree that Conway is decent enough, but we need competition for him, and cover. Maybe something different - a player with a bit of pace preferably- Kebe ?

Our need for a striker has diniminshed by ging 4-5-1 and the emergence of Gestede and mason. Although if a very good targetman became available then that would be handy.

Like you catsl I still think at 4-5-1 we are short of options in midfield when the inevitable suspensions and injuries start. The evidence was having to start Ralls - who is no mug, but its a big ask, and Blake -who IMHO is not a starting CM- already in several games earlier this season. Also we have nobody who can play Whitts role if/when he's out (isnt he on 3-4 bookings already), so a quality CM would be 2nd on my list. IMHO you can never have too many central mids and centre halfs as they are the ones who seem to pick up the most bookings and injuries.

So good point for Gwyn and anyone coming in will have to bide thier time, BUT we still seem very very threadbare in some positions so MUST strenghthen in Jan. I believe we will, in fact I have a hunch that at least 1 maybe to are already lined up, which is why Malky and co. are relaxed about not bringing anyone in during the loan window (com bined with the surprise emergence of Gestede, Ralls and Mason and pick up in performances when asked of others like Quinn, McPhail,Naylor and Blake.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:32 am

Lawnmower wrote:
castleblue wrote:I think you need to look beyond the starting 11 to the 16 match day squad and for me the player currently under risk of being left out is Earnie, I hate to say it but he really hasn't set the world alight. Out of the current match day squad you could also add Steve McPhail to that.

Several good posts on this.
Including this one.
The only thing I'd disagree with would be I'd have Blake on the bench to cover defensive midfield cenre half and both full backs.

In terms of our squad I'd also agree that Conway is decent enough, but we need competition for him, and cover. Maybe something different - a player with a bit of pace preferably- Kebe ?

Our need for a striker has diniminshed by ging 4-5-1 and the emergence of Gestede and mason. Although if a very good targetman became available then that would be handy.

Like you catsl I still think at 4-5-1 we are short of options in midfield when the inevitable suspensions and injuries start. The evidence was having to start Ralls - who is no mug, but its a big ask, and Blake -who IMHO is not a starting CM- already in several games earlier this season. Also we have nobody who can play Whitts role if/when he's out (isnt he on 3-4 bookings already), so a quality CM would be 2nd on my list. IMHO you can never have too many central mids and centre halfs as they are the ones who seem to pick up the most bookings and injuries.

So good point for Gwyn and anyone coming in will have to bide thier time, BUT we still seem very very threadbare in some positions so MUST strenghthen in Jan. I believe we will, in fact I have a hunch that at least 1 maybe to are already lined up, which is why Malky and co. are relaxed about not bringing anyone in during the loan window (com bined with the surprise emergence of Gestede, Ralls and Mason and pick up in performances when asked of others like Quinn, McPhail,Naylor and Blake.

This for me, because he could burn out like burkey and we need to keep him fresh! another winger would be great!

Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Gwyn totally agree with your thoughts however we are paperthin when we get a few injuries. If Malkie brings in a few fresh faces we will have cover but to answer your question I would like to see a proven goal scorer to put away some of the fantastic chances we are making