Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MARK HUGHES FOR WALES JOB

Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:36 am

Got to be a better option than Dave Jones, I wonder if he was suprised he never got mentioned in the running or the Sunderland job. :o

Re: MARK HUGHES FOR WALES JOB

Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:41 am

Whilst I'm not Hughes's greatest fan I do think that he would be the best appointment in the circumstances.

He will have to change his approach, in the past he has tended to be too cautious and relied on experience but he will have the respect of the players and would surely recognise that this is a good time to be Wales manager.

Other than Hughes I just can't see an obvious Welsh manager who would take the job so maybe we will have to look elsewhere.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:51 am

We were one dimensional under Hughes last time but he has had a few more years of experience since. The results in his last year with the team he had were worth firing him, especially the disgraceful performance against the dirties at Old Trafford.

The FAW have stated they will not search for a new manager until the new year.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:53 am

I have to be honest, personally I haven’t given it a thought. Still seems too soon after Garys death.

This next campaign is going to be an emotional one however it works out. Dave Jones is not the man to deal with that, Hughes given that he’ll know speed very well could be a good shout but it still seems far too early to be discussing this.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:56 am

Please, no more talk of Dave Jones. We dont want him as manager of our club, why should he manage our country?

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:04 am

Yeah, we have a good 3-4 months until we need appointment someone and everything is still too raw to think about a new manager.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:11 am

Reckon I am going to get my Wales shirt numbered this week, number 10 or number 85?

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:19 am

Hughes only actually won 6 competitive matches. Not the answer. New approach is needed. He was mentioned for the Sunderland job but O'Neill would always be ahead of Hughes in any pecking order. Sunderland are on of his many clubs.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:26 am

Hughes or big John for me, someone that can command instant respect for what they have done for football and Welsh football in particular. We need a iconic Welshman to fill the shoes of Speed so Hughes or Hartson, Id go for the latter for passion.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:33 am

noooooo to mark hughes that will be a step backwards.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:58 am

jinks-rct wrote:noooooo to mark hughes that will be a step backwards.

Chris Coleman.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:58 am

What about Dean Saunders...........?

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:06 am

I would happily have a foreign manager if they were modern and kept the momentum going. John Hartson wouldnt have a clue and would probably have our players drinking more beer and eating more burgers than ever before

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:11 am

This is a bit out of leftfied and yes i know he's English but what about Glenn Hoddle? He would certainly fit the bill as a man who plays attacking football on the floor and would,i think,embrace the exciting creative talent we have in Ramsey, Bellers, Bale, Allen, Taylor etc.

There were questions over his man management but he is ten yrs older and wiser since those days. Apparently,as a coach he is amongst the very best and most progressive.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:14 am

alfie sherwood wrote:This is a bit out of leftfied and yes i know he's English but what about Glenn Hoddle? He would certainly fit the bill as a man who plays attacking football on the floor and would,i think,embrace the exciting creative talent we have in Ramsey, Bellers, Bale, Allen, Taylor etc.

There were questions over his man management but he is ten yrs older and wiser since those days. Apparently,as a coach he is amongst the very best and most progressive.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: eileen drury as no2? :lol:

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:22 am

Whoever it is needs the respect of the players otherwise we'll go back to having our stars not turning up.

Mark Hughes is one of the only men that can do that

Re: New Peter Whitts song

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:14 pm

Agree no rush to appoint .could it then be time for ryan giggs.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:23 pm

What about Chris coleman?

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:31 pm

can't see many options out there for us.

Mark Hughes - all tho i think his time has been and gone.

John Hartson - lack of experience, although so did sped.

Dutch ray - was speed's number 2. I would still keep him on board as no 2.

Chris Coleman - out of work for a while. Not really done much as a manager tho.

Dean saunders - seems to be doing a decent job at donny and has just changed jobs.

Any other contenders? Maybe they might go international.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:03 pm

I would be happy with any of the following....

HUGHES
COLEMAN
HARTSON
SAUNDERS
GIGGS (wont happen though)
SAVAGE ;)

DAVE JONES - he will be all over this, lives local. Can still play golf. If he even gets mentioned for the job, I will never set foot into another Wales match. :twisted:

for me its got to be someone fresh and a proud welshman. Some one who may be isnt going to be the new mourinho but someone whow ill get the players to turn out and gain there respect. Those 2 things alone will see us carry on Speeds hard work :ayatollah:

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:06 pm

My choice would 100% be Huddink.

If he has to be welsh I would love to see Giggs given a chance....
Otherwise it would be Hughes or Saunders

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:19 pm

I agree with Hirwaun Bluebird. This may fall right into Giggsy's lap when he's ready to call it a day at united. I know he has no experience manager wise but he's learnt from the best and will command great respect form the younger players. Add to that he wont need to be a great motivator for the first few games to get teh best out of the team.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:38 pm

No to mark hughes Please god NO to dave jones What about bringing tosh back as he did the ground work wales are now benifiting from ?

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:42 pm

bluewho wrote:No to mark hughes Please god NO to dave jones What about bringing tosh back as he did the ground work wales are now benifiting from ?

please GOD NO NO NO NO TO DJ

please GOD NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO TO TOSHACK

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:55 pm

bluewho wrote:No to mark hughes Please god NO to dave jones What about bringing tosh back as he did the ground work wales are now benifiting from ?

The most boring football I ever seen under Toshack!

Mark Hughes and Giggsy as an understudy would work well I think.

Some other info I heard today but not particularly relevant was Craig was leaving training today at Liverpool and noticed the youngsters struggling with some Volleying techniques - so he went back and trained/coached with the younger lads to help with their shooting and volleying off his own back.

Maybe a potential Coach/Manager in a few years...

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:22 pm

Hughes and the faw didnt part on great terms be surprised if it was him.

Roberto martinez wouldnt be a bad shout.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Out of work Mark Hughes is inevitably being mentioned in the London newspapers. But there is a different perception here in Wales to Sparky’s previous tenure in charge of his country than there is across the Severn Bridge.

The FAW know Wales only actually won six competitive matches in the five years Hughes was at the helm ... and that he left behind an ageing team which Toshack was told to completely rip up and bring through gifted youngsters instead.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1fP3JpkSa

pretty much my feelings on Hughes.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:30 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Got to be a better option than Dave Jones, I wonder if he was suprised he never got mentioned in the running or the Sunderland job. :o

I would def like Mark Hughes to return as the Welsh Boss. :ayatollah:

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:37 pm

milly44 wrote:I would be happy with any of the following....

HUGHES
COLEMAN
HARTSON
SAUNDERS
GIGGS (wont happen though)
SAVAGE ;)

DAVE JONES - he will be all over this, lives local. Can still play golf. If he even gets mentioned for the job, I will never set foot into another Wales match. :twisted:

for me its got to be someone fresh and a proud welshman. Some one who may be isnt going to be the new mourinho but someone whow ill get the players to turn out and gain there respect. Those 2 things alone will see us carry on Speeds hard work :ayatollah:

Agree with you there Nath, Jones as manager? I am shivering at the thought! Saunders or Hughes for me.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:42 pm

Forget going for Mark Hughes he wasnt very good the last time only (6wins) . Get the best available Gus Hiddink, his record of success is very good at club and international level.