Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Let's get political....Opinions on the Strike

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:42 pm

Phantom Of The Chopra wrote:
englishbluebird wrote:being made false promises is of course wrong,no doubting that, but is going on strike the answer,it seems such an easy thing to do these days

EAsy think FF's ... me and my wife both loose a days pay that we can ill affored to do especially with Christmas coming up..!! EASY OPTION MY FECKIN ARSE...!!

Oi kunto, don't be nickin my feckin words, yeah?

feck is my word! I have exclusive rights to it, Annis said that as well.

So just feck off with the feckin, ya feckin fecker. :old:

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:47 pm

birchblue wrote:
Sven Ghali wrote:
birchblue wrote:It winds me up they need to get over it they are working till there 65 just like me and everyone else why strike and piss people off

Respectful question: What would YOU do in THEIR position??

Not strike the country is in a mess as it is now people have to take days of to cover for there kids.

I can see your point BUT these people must feel that THIS is their ONLY way of being heard and taken seriously, mate

I genuinely believe that THIS is about the ONLY working issue in current times that would unite people to this extent. I am convinced the majority wouldn't go on strike simply for more pay at this time

People not involved are obviously going to be inconvenienced for a single day and that is regrettable. However, Public Sector Employees face an effective massive pay drop (on top of the 3 year pay freeze already taken place) in real terms; all in return for a longer working life with higher contributions and less benefit at the end (when they need it most) in retirement

I remind you that our Government (via an all-party agreement) 'RING-FENCED' their own pensions some time ago to ENSURE they could not be caught up in any changes....FACT!! If that alone is not highly immoral then I am not sure what would be in this cynical age!!

Finally, if people DON'T stand up for themselves (and it appears less and less people are inclined to 'stand up and be counted' in all areas of society these days) then we may as well roll over and play dead so that the Government can just toss us aside and do what they want!!

And as for non-Public Service Employees taking the moral high ground I simply ask: "What would YOU do if YOU were in the same scheme and were about to be 'shafted' in the same way?? I'd be disappointed if you just let it happen!!

Just because someone isn't in this or a similar scheme is NOT an excuse to begrudge those who are. Sometimes we forget that the vast majority of these workers are NOT particularly well paid and their AGREED pensions are the ONE thing they can look forward to when they eventually retire

Does anyone reasonably deny them that??

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

birchblue wrote:It winds me up they need to get over it they are working till there 65 just like me and everyone else why strike and piss people off

Before you write total shit get your facts right... I am expected under what this government proposes to pay more money into my pension to get less out than I currently would and also not be eligible to retire at 65 but probably have to work until 70... Also looking at a pay freeze, don't get paid overtime, but have time in Lieu if I work over my contracted hours...!! I have never taken industrial action in 25yrs of employment but enough is enough...!!!

What do you do for a living?

f**k load of grammatical errors in my post, did i mention she gives me private grammer lesson aswell as other things too. :D

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:48 pm

Sven Ghali wrote:
birchblue wrote:
Sven Ghali wrote:

Respectful question: What would YOU do in THEIR position??

Not strike the country is in a mess as it is now people have to take days of to cover for there kids.

I can see your point BUT these people must feel that THIS is their ONLY way of being heard and taken seriously, mate

I genuinely believe that THIS is about the ONLY working issue in current times that would unite people to this extent. I am convinced the majority wouldn't go on strike simply for more pay at this time

People not involved are obviously going to be inconvenienced for a single day and that is regrettable. However, Public Sector Employees face an effective massive pay drop (on top of the 3 year pay freeze already taken place) in real terms; all in return for a longer working life with higher contributions and less benefit at the end (when they need it most) in retirement

I remind you that our Government (via an all-party agreement) 'RING-FENCED' their own pensions some time ago to ENSURE they could not be caught up in any changes....FACT!! If that alone is not highly immoral then I am not sure what would be in this cynical age!!

Finally, if people DON'T stand up for themselves (and it appears less and less people are inclined to 'stand up and be counted' in all areas of society these days) then we may as well roll over and play dead so that the Government can just toss us aside and do what they want!!

And as for non-Public Service Employees taking the moral high ground I simply ask: "What would YOU do if YOU were in the same scheme and were about to be 'shafted' in the same way?? I'd be disappointed if you just let it happen!!

Just because someone isn't in this or a similar scheme is NOT an excuse to begrudge those who are. Sometimes we forget that the vast majority of these workers are NOT particularly well paid and their AGREED pensions are the ONE thing they can look forward to when they eventually retire

Does anyone reasonably deny them that??

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

WELL Said... Spot On..... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:50 pm

Johnny Rythmn wrote:
englishbluebird wrote:being made false promises is of course wrong,no doubting that, but is going on strike the answer,it seems such an easy thing to do these days

EAsy think FF's ... me and my wife both loose a days pay that we can ill affored to do especially with Christmas coming up..!! EASY OPTION MY FECKIN ARSE...!!

Oi kunto, don't be nickin my feckin words, yeah?

feck is my word! I have exclusive rights to it, Annis said that as well.

So just feck off with the feckin, ya feckin fecker. :old:

Sorry didn't realise you had copyright of 'Feck' will try never to use it again.. My appologies..!! :(

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:50 pm

Before you write total shit get your facts right... I am expected under what this government proposes to pay more money into my pension to get less out than I currently would and also not be eligible to retire at 65 but probably have to work until 70... Also looking at a pay freeze, don't get paid overtime, but have time in Lieu if I work over my contracted hours...!! I have never taken industrial action in 25yrs of employment but enough is enough...!!!

What do you do for a living?

SPOT.ON.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:53 pm

birchblue wrote:Solution let them retire at the agreed age but make them pay more tax lnow. :ayatollah:

I think most woul grudgingly accept that as they are all too aware of these fiscally austere times :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:24 am

Fucked up me going to my work placement. f**k the ungrateful bastards. :lol:

Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:36 am

i dont agree with striking when you hold a position of responsibility (i work in a care home by the way)
many apologises for not agreeing with you

Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:41 am

englishbluebird wrote:i dont agree with striking when you hold a position of responsibility (i work in a care home by the way)

So as I asked, what do you expect people to do?
Just bend over and take it??
It is clear the government are not, do not want to and will not negotiate so what else do people do?
Striking is one of their last remaining options.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:57 am

englishbluebird wrote:

i dont agree with striking when you hold a position of responsibility (i work in a care home by the way)

Mate, only a fool would take a decision to 'strike' LIGHTLY and that is particularly so when you work in certain areas (e.g. nurses, carers, emergency services, etc) such as the one you do. However, these people at least FEEL that this is their ONLY option in order to be LISTENED to by a Government that made its mind up BEFORE proper consultation and is too fearful of being seen as 'backing down' or 'doing a U-turn' even if that is the right and proper thing to do

People have to understand exactly 'what' is at stake and 'where' it could lead in other areas NOT just THIS :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:32 am

I support this strike, its nice to see people in this country fighting back :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:49 am

Anarch0 wrote:I support this strike, its nice to see people in this country fighting back :ayatollah:

spot on.
People comment without knowing the facts.
Cameron and Gideon expect us to bend over and take it. That maybe what they are used to but not us.

and don't listen when they tell you it will cost the economy. It won't cost anymore than the royal wedding did.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:05 am

If westminster wants to mess with the public pensions they should set an exaple first and look to thier own golden lifestyle £300 a day to just turn-up at westminster tax free :evil: deport all these money grabbers to africa to ply thier trade :lol:

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:34 am

I am of a mixed view. There are some in the public sector who get absolutely shafted for the pay they get. I worked there until last year and they cut 60% of jobs. I was given four people's jobs and ended up having work longer hours for close to minimum wage. I never considered moaning though because money was money.

Saying that, the health services don't get treated well at all and some work ridiculous hours under unbearable conditions and are taken advantage of. However, I worked in admin and some people don't deserve a penny of what they earn and the majority of admin staff in the Council are lazy and spoilt.

Despite my views, I am happy to see them go on strike purely to see it piss David Cameron right off. I'm finding myself turning very anarchical regards to politics. I am finding myself happy to cut my nose off to spite my face in order to see the politicians have a tougher job.

Again though, as much as I disagree with the cuts the Tories are making, the financial situation did need to be addressed. I just think they're going about the cuts the wrong way in a lot of cases and the wrong people are being made to make sacrifices. I can't take it seriously when a politician in a shiny suit and flash car tells us we are "all in this together".

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:34 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Tubzo wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:I'd be interested to hear everyones opinions on the strike on Wednesday :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I will keep my opinions close to my chest for now :o

Adam,

I dont agree with it.

I think public service people get well paid as it is and well looked after. Tony blair made sure.

Your talking crap mate. My wife's on strike Wednesday have a look at what nurses are on.

And read what I meant, I am on about the pen pushers that Blair employed during his years and I stand by it.

But the majority of those "pen pushers" are on a much lower wage than they would be on in the private sector :roll:

During Blairs time as PM not once did the civil service get a rise at the level of inflation. So if that's "looking after" them thank God he didn't persecute them :roll: :lol:

The only reason most are still in the public sector is the acceptance that they would have a good, gaurunteed pension at the end of their careers which would compensate for the lower wages they earned during service.

The new proposals are to reduce the pensions for everyone. That will include people who made a career choice 30 years ago based on the terms they signed up to. It's too late for them to either leave or make other pension provision because they'd have to work to over 70 to make a difference.

Nobody is saying that they shouldn't pay more in pension contributions but to pay more and have their eventual pensions reduced by significant amounts (approx 20%) cannot be justified.

One final point, the public sector pensions scheme is self financing and not in the red. These cuts are to pay for the banking regulation cock-ups i.e. steal from the less well off to pay for the mistakes of the banks. Are you really telling me that you think that is fair :?:

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:52 am

For what it's worth my opinion on this strike is that there has to be a real problem when a couple of million public sector workers feel that they have no alternative other than to go on strike.

This government would have us believe that this is the work of militant unions but really when is the last time that teachers, nurses, firemen etc were considered as militant.

It is not the fault of public sector workers that people are living longer and it's not their fault that contributions towards their pensions are being outstripped by the payments. I have two private pensions and in the last 15 - 20 years both schemes have run into shortfall problems, indeed one scheme did last year, but because they are private schemes the government told them they had to make arrangements to cover the shortfall which they did.

If the goverment have a problem then they should cover the shortfall, it's called taking responsibility, and they must do that even if it means raising taxation. Another option of course is to change the terms of new pension agreements which I believe is part of these proposals but it cannot ever be acceptable to enforce changes on public service employees who do important jobs for all of us.

If anyone doubts that try paying for private education for your children or private healthcare for your family then I think you will see what terrific value for money they provide, and of course what a terrific service the people who work in education and health provide us with.

If money needs to be saved and I think most people would agree with that we should start looking at why the CEO of a local council can earn 6 figure salaries, be changed more often than dirty underwear and move on with huge payoffs including pensions. I believe the same applies in the health service where £billions are spent on administration and these are the areas where the biggest cuts should be made.

Also how on earth can a local councillor claim £30k a year on expenses to attend council meetings, also how on earth can our Prime Minister claim £350K a year in mortgage interest payments on his second home and then have the taxpayer pay to remove ivy from the walls. In short expenses paid to elected political representatives must run into £billions each year.

Deal with this and not force change onto the pension schemes of hardworking public service employees as that wankstain Danny Alexander wants to do, and why?, because he says the current arrangements are unsustainable. I wouldn't trust that idiot to open a jar of coffee nevermind run the finances of this country. I wonder what he view would be if he was told that when he loses his seat in partliament he will not be getting his MP's salary for a year after, or that he needed to have his MP's salary cut by 20% because the current pay levels were unsustainable.

I have never been a public sector worker but I do have great sympathy with the position they find themselves in and I think everyone should ask why these groups of workers are having to take the last resort and strike.

It tells me there is a problem and not one of their making. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:54 am

The government are losing money elsewhere and since the smoking ban then revenue from cigarette tax and as a knock on effect fron alcohol tax has gone downhill dramatically , so next up they tax car users for fuel instead . That didnt raise enough money so all they can now do is to look at other outgoings . Civil servants pensions are that outlet for them now to try and retrieve money back from , money which WAS PROMISED when many civil servants signed contracts donkeys years ago under the false pretence of also retiring at ages 60 and 65 ! If the government win this what they gonna stop next , Armed Forces pension Scheme ?? Im 100% in favour of the strike !

Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:24 am

Did I really need to click on this thread to know that it will look like the letters page of the Daily Mail?

It doesn't really matter what these public workers got or haven't got. It's all just scraps off the table that we are arguing over. It's a fact that there's just 400 people who own 99% of all the money. And that's where we are. Every penny you and I see comes from just 1% of the money. The other 99% is locked away by peolpe who have hovered all the wealth away. And I'll bet that those small amount of people, who wouldn't fill the away section of a footie ground, pay less taxes than you or I do. They don't put anything in to the system, they just suck it out. We've now reached a point where there's not enough money left in the game for us to live. The government isn't going to admit that though because they are afraid of them.

That's all our politicians do is blame each other. Fact is they are all clueless career politicians who can only talk a good fight, when it comes down to running a country they are f*cking rubbish. And that goes for every single one of them, whatever party they come from.

Since I started working back in the early 1980's that's all I've ever known is cut backs. Cut back's after cut backs. The only thing that hasn't been cut back is the amount of tax I pay. So if there are some people who've got the guts to stand up and fight for what they've got, then good on them. It's the people with the lion share we should be picking on.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:15 pm

90% of the government cabinet are MULTI millionaires, who protected their own pension schemes and vote on their own pay rises......the governments advisor on tax is none other than Mr Phillip Green, who i might add does not pay a penny of tax toward this country as its all offshore, gotta love the irony!! Yet some of you are siding with these thieving scoundrels because the ONE day strike inconviences you slightly. Good on them for sticking up for themselves and to any person who crosses the line: YOU f*cking SCAB!

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Nobody complained when the entire UK was given a day off for the Royal wedding , yet tomorrow when a few million on strike its suddenly bad for the UK economy !

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:56 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:90% of the government cabinet are MULTI millionaires, who protected their own pension schemes and vote on their own pay rises......the governments advisor on tax is none other than Mr Phillip Green, who i might add does not pay a penny of tax toward this country as its all offshore, gotta love the irony!! Yet some of you are siding with these thieving scoundrels because the ONE day strike inconviences you slightly. Good on them for sticking up for themselves and to any person who crosses the line: YOU f*cking SCAB!

Couldn't agree more. All born with a silver spoon and out for all they can get. Not done a days work between them.
They don't speak for me.
And if we are so worried about the damage to the economy lets scrap the jubilee celebrations. I've already watched members of that freeloading family get married and that cost us enough.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:55 pm

I am in favour,and support the industrial action that is taking place tomorrow. People who unite and stand together particularity those who are willing to lose money, especially this time of year, and are fighting for their and those coming behind them, future deserve our support and them vilifying is a cheap option.

The miners and steelworkers were vilified by the then conservative government/ press The miners and steel workers strikes was about the future of their industries of pit closures and the closures of the steel works, and what would happen to their communities after, when they, closed and the strike tomorrow is in essence is about their future,and those following seeing millions of decent honest workers in poverty in later life.

Not that most of those average public sector workers retiring today are living a life of luxury, despite what the media tells us

We as a club,and our supporters in particular,along with other football supporters have been vilified by the press.

When we have seen or as an individual someone caught up in a football related crime even and has not been charged or convicted and the seen the injustice of the arrest or over zealous stewarding it brings us together and and those on strike tomorrow will feel a comradeship that we feel and the strikers tomorrow will feel the same, because of the injustice of the employer, which is all of us as tax payers

No I am not on strike tomorrow

Now let me concentrate on beating Blackburn tonight

Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Massive ignorance on here re: Public sector pensions. But dont feel bad about it,
its a government tactic to feed the masses the wrong information. British people
have a right to protest at shit pay/conditions. Our Grandparents fought for that
right. But successive governments have realised that the people CANNOT have
their say, they MUST do as they are told, they MUST back down, bow down, take
what they are given. Sadly, far too many believe what they are told in the Tory
backed press and media

Tonight the Government announce that we're doing even WORSE.

Coincidence that its the day before a strike??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not on strike. I'm self-employed, cannot afford to take a day off cos id get
no more work. But if i had a UNION behind me, damn right id tell these fuckers
in government to do one.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:21 pm

NJ73 wrote:Public sector pensions have been profitable for years and years. This profit has gone back to the exchequer and has been spent by the Government.

Now the Government has run out of money, they expect public sector workers to contribute more again. These pensions were only revised a couple of years ago to the detriment of those paying in and now the Government wants to move the goalposts again.

And for those saying Public Sector employees are well paid, whether they be pen pushers or not, are talking absolute rubbish. I work in the public sector and have had to take a 2% pay cut this year having had no pay rise for the 3 previous years as well as a £200 a year charge to park my car in the office car park.

Well said. The government has wasted billions of pounds through sheer waste.

The frustrating thing is that MPs have yet to sort out their pensions. These people should sort themselves out first and lead by example.

I work in public sector and am on reasonable money. The frustrating thing is that millions is wasted thanks to the pen pushers. THe Health Service has too many chiefs and not enough Indians (more managers than Doctors). The Education system has OFSTED (costs over £200million per year and many inspectors are failed headteachers). Local Government is overran with admin staff and risk assessors etc.

Finally we have 650 MPs screwing the country. We could save millions by getting rid of half our MPs.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:22 pm

Svenghali puts in best in his longer post, but the crux of it is that Cameron has been making his own rules up and reneging on deals that were already done and dusted. This govt wants public sector workers to pay in an extra FIFTY PERCENT of their current contributions into their public sector pensions, up from 6.45 to 9.6% of gross pay. Get this bit, the govt then will pay back less than what was previously agreed, paying more for less effectively! :evil: The extra funds made by the pension contribution increases are for paying off accrued govt debts and NOT to put into existing pensions.
THATS WHY I AND MANY OF MY PUBLIC SECTOR COLLEAGES ARE STRIKING, WE MOSTLY EARN WAY BELOW THE £425 AVERAGE WEEKLY WAGE TOO, mostly ordinary people like me are hit the most, that is care workers, nurses, caretakers, teachers, road sweepers and the like who are always the first to get whacked.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:22 pm

I think it is good for the people however the goverment should not cut their pensions.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:35 pm

norfolkin welsh wrote:Svenghali puts in best in his longer post, but the crux of it is that Cameron has been making his own rules up and reneging on deals that were already done and dusted. This govt wants public sector workers to pay in an extra FIFTY PERCENT of their current contributions into their public sector pensions, up from 6.45 to 9.6% of gross pay. Get this bit, the govt then will pay back less than what was previously agreed, paying more for less effectively! :evil: The extra funds made by the pension contribution increases are for paying off accrued govt debts and NOT to put into existing pensions.
THATS WHY I AND MANY OF MY PUBLIC SECTOR COLLEAGES ARE STRIKING, WE MOSTLY EARN WAY BELOW THE £425 AVERAGE WEEKLY WAGE TOO, mostly ordinary people like me are hit the most, that is care workers, nurses, caretakers, teachers, road sweepers and the like who are always the first to get whacked.

I think the real crux of the matter is that Blair and now Cameron have continued
the work Thatcher did to vilify and alienate the Trade Unions to the extent that
most of Britain now thinks anyone mentioning the word STRIKE is an evil, good
for nothing greedy b*stard.

This means that all the money they save by f*cking workers off over pay rises and
pensions can go to where it REALLY matters....

Evil, good for nothing greedy fat cats/employers/tax-dodging 'Lords of the Realm'
and erm.... Politicians!

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:32 pm

taffyapple wrote:
norfolkin welsh wrote:Svenghali puts in best in his longer post, but the crux of it is that Cameron has been making his own rules up and reneging on deals that were already done and dusted. This govt wants public sector workers to pay in an extra FIFTY PERCENT of their current contributions into their public sector pensions, up from 6.45 to 9.6% of gross pay. Get this bit, the govt then will pay back less than what was previously agreed, paying more for less effectively! :evil: The extra funds made by the pension contribution increases are for paying off accrued govt debts and NOT to put into existing pensions.

I think the real crux of the matter is that Blair and now Cameron have continued
the work Thatcher did to vilify and alienate the Trade Unions to the extent that
most of Britain now thinks anyone mentioning the word STRIKE is an evil, good
for nothing greedy b*stard.

This means that all the money they save by f*cking workers off over pay rises and
pensions can go to where it REALLY matters....

Evil, good for nothing greedy fat cats/employers/tax-dodging 'Lords of the Realm'
and erm.... Politicians!

Mrs Thatcher did more for the workers of this country than any politician had done in several generations. Unfortunately she did piss off the "money men" as they were next. Major, Blair, Cameron, oba bin obama, just puppets of a sad world. The workers united will never be defeated, we just got to lick 14 years of wounds and start again.

Two nil to those of us that bother sheep :ayatollah: