Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Dortmund fans

Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:29 pm

I was at the champions league game this Wednesday to watch Arsenal take on Dortmund I had a corporate invite and as in London anyway went
I found it hard to enjoy the game as I don't support either team But I must say how brilliant the Dortmund fans were from start to finish They had two guys organising the chants through out the game and were the loudest and best supporting fans I have ever seen I was at the Reading game but we were nothing like these boys and I thought we were good at that game

Re: Dortmund fans

Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:07 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:I was at the champions league game this Wednesday to watch Arsenal take on Dortmund I had a corporate invite and as in London anyway went
I found it hard to enjoy the game as I don't support either team But I must say how brilliant the Dortmund fans were from start to finish They had two guys organising the chants through out the game and were the loudest and best supporting fans I have ever seen I was at the Reading game but we were nothing like these boys and I thought we were good at that game

We have to do something like this and get organised. Celtic and Rangers do it and most euro clubs. the polish fans were great at fulham too (saying that, i suspect the fulham fans had to travel further to get to that game!!)

f**k the stiff upper lip and scynisicm. get organised

We wernt even organised when we were hoolies!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:10 pm

MilkyBar Kid

get it organised then mate :ayatollah:

one of the differences with us and europe is their fans are less restricted on everything

Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:56 pm

My son and I were lucky enough to go to see Dortmund a few weeks ago in a cup game against Dinamo Dresden. A German friend got the tickets so we were on the South terrace, which was full with 25,000 in it in a crowd of about 71,000.

The atmosphere was incredible and the best I've encountered in 30 years of watching football. Dresden, who appear to be the Millwall of German football, are from the division below and brought 10,000 and were amazing. Flares, fireworks, non-stop co-ordinated chanting.

On our terrace, there were two guys nearing the bottom with megaphones keeping the singing going non-stop. The songs were simple and repetitive so everyone could join in the words - maybe a lesson for us there. From what I see on ESPN, every German game seems to have an incredible atmosphere - flags, scarves, singing, big crowds.

This is a video of the Dresden fans done by their ultras at the game. It's worth a look, amazing atmosphere (and it's just a routine cup game).. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YuJDZ7sknk

Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:00 pm

Meant to say, there was a classic moment during the Arsenal-Dortmund game after Arsenal scored and their fans were actually making a bit of noise. You could then hear, in perfect English from the Dortmund fans, "Sing when you're winning, you only sing when you're winning"!

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:19 pm

Don't know if I can agree with that. It all seemed a litle too 'plastic' . Nothing spontaneous. Looked like day trip for robots.I cant imagine hearing a lot of terace humour amongst that lot :lol:
And what about the guys leading the chants, do they ever see a game?. I wonder if they have singing lessons ?
We wil be better, when we all stand together :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:27 pm

Nothing plastic about it at all One of the best support teams in the world both home and away They have an average crowd of over 73000 with a population of under 600000 and take one of the largest away supporter numbers They do the same at home and was just pointing out how they get the atmosphere in the stadium rocking

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:49 pm

I'm not knocking it, and as you have pointed out its fantastic support. Can you see it happeneing here :!: I think what i'm really trying to say is can we ever be that organised ? Who would lead the singing, and what happens when he doesn't turn up ? I remember when Man U had Old Traford modernised there was a lot of people moaning about no atmosphere in the 'new' stadium. The club then made a 'tape' of the songs they were singing at the time and played them over the tanoy system during the game to kick start the singing.
I really believe it will oly happen with us when we all stand together. Move the Canton boys to the family stand :ayatollah: :ayatollah: