Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CANTON STAND ATMOSPHERE!

Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:11 pm

Im really sorry to have to drag this topic up again but the Canton stand atmosphere today was diabolical! The Ninian even worse, and you can forget about any other stand as no one else makes so much as a whimper anywhere else around the ground!

I left the house today to meet BigElyDaz (those that know me will know Daz!) with a great feeling about todays game, thinking after the international break, and a few away games that the atmosphere and crowd today will have picked up in anticipation of a home game! (at last!)

But how disappointed was I, Daz and the others standing around us! Through out the game we started pretty much 80% of all songs sung today! with the help of others around us, and continuously encouraged by a few others through out the 90 mins to start songs as nobody else had the guts to shout out to a silent crowd! shame really that we rely on the players to inspire us with a moment of magic or a goal to get things going - It should definitely be the other way around.....

If the atmosphere continues to disappoint us this much and on such a regular basis, We talked earlier about dropping our home season tickets for next year to just try our hardest to travel away from home instead, as most of the fenatics and hard core singers and the fans that are really up for it travel away from home. I hate to say this but even though we won today, after a pretty abysmal performance, and a right old ground out result from the lads, Mason and Malky in particular, we will only frequent the CCS next year on a more relaxed basis and prefer to try to travel away, so that we can actually bring back the feel good factor we use to feel years ago when we were a side that used to battle and fight to stay in the division rather than push out of it.

I suppose it is a bit of a negative post - but we really tried hard today, and couldnt get much of a response from the Canton crowd. Might go and browse the Forest forum now for their views on the fans today (even their support was pretty sad in all honesty - what is going on is strange to say the least!)

BUT - Congratulations to the lads today a great 3pts and keeps us moving in the right Direction! well done MM on the salute to the crowd - last man of the field again... :ayatollah:

Re: CANTON STAND ATMOSPHERE!

Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:21 pm

The atmosphere isnt always great when we go away either mate.

For example, at Coventry on Tuesday, it was shite from the Cardiff fans.

The Coventry fans (that were there) in their little singing corner easily outsang us throughout the game as a young lad (cardiff fan) was trying to encourage his fellow fans to sing.

And that is supposedly 1100 of our 'fenatical' support as you say.

Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:23 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:The atmosphere isnt always great when we go away either mate.

For example, at Coventry on Tuesday, it was shite from the Cardiff fans.

The Coventry fans (that were there) in their little singing corner easily outsang us throughout the game as a young lad (cardiff fan) was trying to encourage his fellow fans to sing.

And that is supposedly 1100 of our 'fenatical' support as you say.

I understand your point - but as the singers are apparently dotted all around the ground due to the seaosn ticket placement stuff, At least you are guaranteed to have the right people around you when you go away from home.... It's my opinion and what I will look into to doing. :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:32 pm

Good way of supporting the team by dropping your season ticket :roll:

Why do you go to matches to sing or support the club?

Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:42 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:Good way of supporting the team by dropping your season ticket :roll:

oh give it a rest mate, and drop the condensending attitude, I support my club by going out, having a few pints with fellow friends and forum members then singing a good few songs to help the lads along from row GG of the canton! I've been going since 1993 and my intentions are all good. thanks. :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:43 pm

he's got a point though. you support your club financially with the season ticket, and you back that up with vocal support at games. all well and good knowing how many figures they have every week though their sales reports and bank account, but if we were all to sit there with our mouths shut. im pretty sure both sets of teams would forget we were even there. as they hardly get the chance to look around the ground like we do.

Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Merlin wrote:Im really sorry to have to drag this topic up again but the Canton stand atmosphere today was diabolical! The Ninian even worse, and you can forget about any other stand as no one else makes so much as a whimper anywhere else around the ground!

I left the house today to meet BigElyDaz (those that know me will know Daz!) with a great feeling about todays game, thinking after the international break, and a few away games that the atmosphere and crowd today will have picked up in anticipation of a home game! (at last!)

But how disappointed was I, Daz and the others standing around us! Through out the game we started pretty much 80% of all songs sung today! with the help of others around us, and continuously encouraged by a few others through out the 90 mins to start songs as nobody else had the guts to shout out to a silent crowd! shame really that we rely on the players to inspire us with a moment of magic or a goal to get things going - It should definitely be the other way around.....

If the atmosphere continues to disappoint us this much and on such a regular basis, We talked earlier about dropping our home season tickets for next year to just try our hardest to travel away from home instead, as most of the fenatics and hard core singers and the fans that are really up for it travel away from home. I hate to say this but even though we won today, after a pretty abysmal performance, and a right old ground out result from the lads, Mason and Malky in particular, we will only frequent the CCS next year on a more relaxed basis and prefer to try to travel away, so that we can actually bring back the feel good factor we use to feel years ago when we were a side that used to battle and fight to stay in the division rather than push out of it.

I suppose it is a bit of a negative post - but we really tried hard today, and couldnt get much of a response from the Canton crowd. Might go and browse the Forest forum now for their views on the fans today (even their support was pretty sad in all honesty - what is going on is strange to say the least!)

BUT - Congratulations to the lads today a great 3pts and keeps us moving in the right Direction! well done MM on the salute to the crowd - last man of the field again... :ayatollah:

Know wot u mean mate....dont get excited about goin to that soul less bowl anymore, the club should do something about it, as i bet it puts people off goin

Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Listen, I love Cardiff hence my efforts to get everyone around me singing! There's no better feeling than getting 6 thousand people chanting the song you started - I love it, but when people look back at you in the CANTON with the look of disgust then something's up ain't it? I don't see why anyone would want to sit their for 90 minutes moaning? For Christ sakes mun, JUST SING! :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:36 pm

One of the reasons the atmosphere isn't so good recently is the poor range of chants we have. The same half a dozen very short tunes rattled out game after game, season after season. I try and get up to sing as much as I can, but in my area of the Canton no one seems that bothered, and you can't blame them sometimes really, when the abysmal dirge "Men of Harlech" (duh, duh, duh, duh, duh , duh, dudh. duh, duh) is half heartedly knocked out yet again. Imagine how incredible MOH would sound if we only had the bollocks to learn and sing the proper words!
Whoever starts the tunes, needs to get some good new ones going. Nothing complicated, just simple, witty chants that people want to sing.
Maybe there could be some sort of effort by the different away coaches or the trust or something to try and get new things going, as one or two fellas on their own doesn't seem to work.

Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:37 pm

i admire your obvious passion merlin b ut having fans not go to home games will never help the situation or the team,i love travelling away and having a sing but if people choose not to i dont think it makes them any less of a fan than those that do
Last edited by englishbluebird on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:38 pm

harold pinta wrote:One of the reasons the atmosphere isn't so good recently is the poor range of chants we have. The same half a dozen very short tunes rattled out game after game, season after season. I try and get up to sing as much as I can, but in my area of the Canton no one seems that bothered, and you can't blame them sometimes really, when the abysmal dirge "Men of Harlech" (duh, duh, duh, duh, duh , duh, dudh. duh, duh) is half heartedly knocked out yet again. Imagine how incredible MOH would sound if we only had the bollocks to learn and sing the proper words!
Whoever starts the tunes, needs to get some good new ones going. Nothing complicated, just simple, witty chants that people want to sing.
Maybe there could be some sort of effort by the different away coaches or the trust or something to try and get new things going, as one or two fellas on their own doesn't seem to work.

i personally think this is a much better idea than people giving up their season tickets

Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:52 pm

Agreed, it was shite in parts. I love to get up and sing while i'm there. Thats the reason i've got a ST in the Canton. If it weren't for the standing and singing i'd be in the Ninian getting a better view of the game.
I'm going to suggest something that hasn't been mentioned on here yet;
As people know you will be able to sing louder if your standing. So why don't they make isles 104 & 107 allowed to stand. It would have a more positive effect on the atmosphere as people who want to go in 105 or 106 cant get a seat so they have to settle for 104 or 107, and their told to sit down, this is why it seems a little more quiet nowadays.
Also if everyone remembers the ''ohhhh scummy scummy. scummy scummy scummy scummy Nottingham'' chant. Why don't we adapt it for Whitts?! ;
''ohhhh Peter Peter. Peter Peter Peter Peter Whittingham!'' - The scummy chant was the loudest chant today, so if we could do it for Whitts then the atmosphere would surely improve.
Ok, so just a few tips on how to improve the atmosphere, and I hope Carl mentions the one about 104 & 107 to Alan Whitely in their next meeting!

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:01 pm

We need to go back to basics I think and knock the fancy shit like 'We Love you' shite on the head. As a grown man I honestly dont sing that song cos I feel like a complete knob.

Simplistic chanting is where its at.

For example, the perfect chant in support of say, Malky would be the old Glamorgan Favourite which carries well and loud.

OOOOH Malky, Malky... Malky Malky Malky Malky Malky Mackay!

:ayatollah:

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Sorry CantonJack, I should read all posts before replying but your spot on fella.

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:04 pm

I agree Merlin it was rubbish today, IM usually in block 105 Canton but switched to 107 as brought my brother in law down from Wigan so I got 2 seats together. The harsh reality is we have a few hundred singing out of 20,000. Sitting in 107 theres hundreds and hundreds of fans who didnt sing once or get involved in the game, its almost like going to the theatre for them. I could hear the Canton 106,105 in 2nd half but its not really loud and id be surprised if away fans or Ninian stand could hear anything. I left today thinking what a rubbish atmoshphere. Only individuals can make a difference but we have to be realistic we have thousands of fans who aint interested in chanting. :?

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:05 pm

One more thing CJ fella.

Are you sure you were not singing it wrong? Its Scabby Scabby Scabby Scabby Nottinham, ie Scabs, not Scummy.

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:11 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:One more thing CJ fella.

Are you sure you were not singing it wrong? Its Scabby Scabby Scabby Scabby Nottinham, ie Scabs, not Scummy.

Everyone around me (I was near the front of the Canton were singing scummy. Maybe it was scabby futher back who knows. Whatever way still has the same effect :D

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:19 pm

i think its down to the team aswell to lift the crowd. pretty boring game today, although when we scored the tempo went up, which means . YOU ONLY SING WHEN YOUR WINNING :roll: :lol: :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:31 pm

Wasn't the greatest atmosphere today but the game wasn't either I think that's a big factor in it. But saying that packet of sweets and cheesy smile made a appearance today.

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:04 pm

first ten minutes was good, then went dead(as expected) but second half it picked up. when we travel to different grounds you can see that it isn't only our fans that struggle to generate an atmosphere at home.
you can't compare coventry tbh purely because it's the worst ground to go to. todays atmosphere was still bad but atleast it did get going at some point

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:34 pm

Merlin wrote:
CraigCCFC wrote:Good way of supporting the team by dropping your season ticket :roll:

oh give it a rest mate, and drop the condensending attitude, I support my club by going out, having a few pints with fellow friends and forum members then singing a good few songs to help the lads along from row GG of the canton! I've been going since 1993 and my intentions are all good. thanks. :ayatollah:

I was there in row EE singing my guts out while being beautifully prompted by you guys behind me in GG.Well done for what you do and you can count on me going home with no voice mate. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: