Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Only 6 Championship Clubs Have Signed Players On Loan -

Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:57 pm

Since Monday so does that mean the other 18 clubs are showing no ambition or could it be exactly as MM has been saying that there is only a small number of players available and sometimes they have rediculous loan fees attached to them.

Doncaster, Leeds, Palace, Millwall, Derby and Coventry are the clubs who have signed players and 5 of these clubs are in the top 8 when it comes to the number of players used this season. Surely this demonstrates that their managers are struggling to settle on their best teams.

Our manager and players have done a remarkable job in gelling together as a unit and as we all know we currently sit in 3rd place with only 6 games before the January transfer window opens. We are not under the same pressure as other clubs and whilst we may hit a few injuries maybe suspensions who will forget this time last year when we couldn't buy a win. We are not in that position and we are fully in the hunt for a playoff place.

We are in a terrific position and MM has publically stated he his happy with the backing he has had from the board, yes he wants more players all managers do but MM only wants a certain type.

Whatever the reasons why the other 17 clubs like Cardiff didn't sign players this week is anyones guess, but I don't think lack of ambition comes into it.

We didn't sign anyone, so what, just bring on Forest I say. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Only 6 Championship Clubs Have Signed Players On Loan -

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:16 pm

castleblue wrote:Since Monday so does that mean the other 18 clubs are showing no ambition or could it be exactly as MM has been saying that there is only a small number of players available and sometimes they have rediculous loan fees attached to them.

Doncaster, Leeds, Palace, Millwall, Derby and Coventry are the clubs who have signed players and 5 of these clubs are in the top 8 when it comes to the number of players used this season. Surely this demonstrates that their managers are struggling to settle on their best teams.

Our manager and players have done a remarkable job in gelling together as a unit and as we all know we currently sit in 3rd place with only 6 games before the January transfer window opens. We are not under the same pressure as other clubs and whilst we may hit a few injuries maybe suspensions who will forget this time last year when we couldn't buy a win. We are not in that position and we are fully in the hunt for a playoff place.

We are in a terrific position and MM has publically stated he his happy with the backing he has had from the board, yes he wants more players all managers do but MM only wants a certain type.

Whatever the reasons why the other 17 clubs like Cardiff didn't sign players this week is anyones guess, but I don't think lack of ambition comes into it.

We didn't sign anyone, so what, just bring on Forest I say. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Totally agree mate we do not know the full facts :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:24 pm

castleblue wrote:Since Monday so does that mean the other 18 clubs are showing no ambition or could it be exactly as MM has been saying that there is only a small number of players available and sometimes they have rediculous loan fees attached to them.

Gary, Always a great post from you. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Just wondering why this week, Malky stated " If we want promotion this squad needs strengthening" funny time to say it.
But personally I say our squad needs strengthening now as, Winter is here, injuries and suspensions ahead.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Just wondering why this week, Malky stated " If we want promotion this squad needs strengthening" funny time to say it.
But personally I say our squad needs strengthening now as, Winter is here, injuries and suspensions ahead.

See Annis, you're right too. We have been lucky with suspensions and injuries/tirednesss (especially with the effort our players put in).

It's a shitty situation, that's all I know.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:32 pm

It's all well and good not bringing any loan players in, but the man himself said we needed a few more players in to strengthen a small squad. what if we have a few injuries and all the games over xmas, where will that leave us :( :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:33 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

See Annis, you're right too. We have been lucky with suspensions and injuries/tirednesss (especially with the effort our players put in).

It's a shitty situation, that's all I know.

Adam, This is my big worry and I am sure Malky will be as well or already is.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:43 pm

Guys I am not so sure we have been so lucky with injuries thus far. We were down to the bones against Leicester and the Saints yet still mustered a massive 4 points in those games. Six games is not a long time to the window, aside from Rudy we are looking good injury wise and he's 2 weeks from fitness. I'm sure we will be in a prime position come January and we have got rid of some real crap to safe 15+ grand a week. All adds to the pot for Jan and Malky getting some reinforcements. Big Gamble but aside from the Saints I think we are the big surprise package thus far.

We could still be in with a chance of winning the treble when the window opens. CCFC great times :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Having only 5 on the bench may also be part of the reason, the expense of players on loan may not be worth it anymore.Why pay some one to be on the bench if there only here a few games.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Maybe because he was answering a direct question? He didn't say your squad needs strengthening "now".

Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:31 pm

NJ does your squad need reinforcements or are you all set for the Europa league places challenge ? Have you found someone that nows how to complete the paperwork OK ?

Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:33 pm

dorsetblue wrote:NJ does your squad need reinforcements or are you all set for the Europa league places challenge ? Have you found someone that nows how to complete the paperwork OK ?

Rodgers has said he wants 4 new signings in Jan and the money is there to finance them.

I'd rather not discuss the paperwork issue :mrgreen:

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:37 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Annis we all know the squad needs greater numbers, there is no doubt about that, and I do believe the club has been trying to get players in. Both you and Carl overheard something about a possible loan signing earlier in the week, without naming the player would you have been happy if that deal went through?

I'm not sure of the reason why but loan transfer are down by 25% on the same week last year but even then only 8 clubs actually signed players. Whatever the reason in my opinion not a lot has changed in the make up of Championship teams during this loan window so in the main it's as we were through to the transfer window.

We should also accept that MM is working with one hand tied behind his back because he has a number of players, signed by the previous manager, who do not figure in his plans and try as he has we cannot seem to pass them on. Parkin is the best example, here is a player signed early in the last January transfer window who clearly doesn't have a future under MM. Indeed he tried to offload him to Coventry but the deal fellthrough because Coventry wouldn't pay Parkin what we are. How many other players are in the some situation, Quinn, Gypes, Naylor the club needs to move these on and unfortunately it may only happen at the end of their contracts.

Whatever happens we will need to add to the squad to have the best chance of reaching the playoffs and 2 years ago is the best evidence to back that up. That year the squad that was in place at the end of August made it to the playoff final but injuries, tiredness and DJ inability to get us over the line caught up with us.

I hope that doesn't happen this season but not having signed players in this loan window won't alone stop us from reaching the playoffs. Just my opinion. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:43 am

trouble here is gary that some of our fans would rather see a piece of shit like bywater or Jay lloyd come in as oppossed to no one otherwise you start getting the malaysians are not backing malky moronic posts.

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:53 am

Southampton , WHU , Middlesborough , Leicester and Birminhgham all have large squads filled with quality and quantity and have NO NEED to bring anybody in on loan now and most prob wont need to in Jan either . But if they do then you can guarantee it will be a quality signing ...... these are the sides Cardiff have to compete with on and off the pitch :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:59 am

Bang on. Add to this which of the players who have been loaned by other clubs would we want? We can't force clubs to let players of sufficient quality come out on loan.

Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:04 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:Southampton , WHU , Middlesborough , Leicester and Birminhgham all have large squads filled with quality and quantity and have NO NEED to bring anybody in on loan now and most prob wont need to in Jan either . But if they do then you can guarantee it will be a quality signing ...... these are the sides Cardiff have to compete with on and off the pitch :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah:

Nigel Pearson said yesterday that he wanted to bring a few targets in but couldn't and that certainly wouldn't have been due to a lack of cash.

Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:Southampton , WHU , Middlesborough , Leicester and Birminhgham all have large squads filled with quality and quantity and have NO NEED to bring anybody in on loan now and most prob wont need to in Jan either . But if they do then you can guarantee it will be a quality signing ...... these are the sides Cardiff have to compete with on and off the pitch :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah:

Correct Martyn and I am worried about it, but hopefully I will have nothing to worry about. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:45 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Annis this is precisely the point I made to TG in an email earlier this week. His reply was that they are well aware of what they have to do. That was before the loan window closed. It has now closed we have no players in and what is it 5 or 6 out? The last thing I expected at this time of the season was for the squad to be cut? I was expecting the opposite. Dont know about anyone else but I'm not a happy bunny. We should be capitalising on our fantastic start to the season and we have gone and done the exact opposite :evil:

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:48 pm

steve davies wrote:

trouble here is gary that some of our fans would rather see a piece of shit like bywater or Jay lloyd come in as oppossed to no one otherwise you start getting the malaysians are not backing malky moronic posts.

I agree we don't want any old shit coming in. However at such a busy time of the season should we really be cutting the size of the squad?

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:49 pm

ihatealiens wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis this is precisely the point I made to TG in an email earlier this week. His reply was that they are well aware of what they have to do. That was before the loan window closed. It has now closed we have no players in and what is it 5 or 6 out? The last thing I expected at this time of the season was for the squad to be cut? I was expecting the opposite. Dont know about anyone else but I'm not a happy bunny. We should be capitalising on our fantastic start to the season and we have gone and done the exact opposite :evil:

I realise it seems to be the fashion now to bash the Malaysians but ever thought that the approach will be to bring players in on permanent transfers rather than on loans, especially with the reduced number of subs needed?

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Not bashing TG and VT with regard to loans coming in am more disappointed with the slashing of our squad wrong time of the season to be doing it in my view. We have 8 games over a period of 38 days coming up. In my view it is not the wisest of things to be cutting the squad at this stage of the season. Also if you read through Malkys quotes he doesn't particularly think January is a good time to be buying players so I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that we will run out of fizz soon and sadly finish our season very much in the same Manner as Malky's Watford last season unless of course TG, VT and the rest of the board have a sudden change of policy. Mid table mediocrity beckons, we cant expect anything more with such a small squad. :evil:

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:07 pm

We haven't cut the match day squad at all though have we?

None of the lads who have gone (Parkin, Keinan, Farah etc) are getting a sniff this season and I for one think it unfair on them and counterproductive to all involved to have them rotting in our reserves when they could be out on loan, not costing us money we don't have, while picking up valuable match fitness just in case of injuries to a shed load of our current playing squad who do actually get games and who are actually good at football.

It's obvious to me but some just can't see it. I can't understand why.