Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Small Squad ? "

Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:06 pm

People keep mentioning how small the squad is but I dont really agree. Yes it would be nice to have another 3/4 players but I certainly dont think its massively important YET. MM has said he wants to strengthen at the right time and with the right players and I fully back him with that as his signing to date have been excellent.

We have considerable cover in every position except wide but I dont see that stopping us as we only have one winger anyway and play so narrow its still workable with a diamond like we have earlier in the season.

GK Heaton, Marshall - two good keepers - fine

RB - Super Kev, Quinn, (Blake can cover)
CB - Gerrard, Hudson, Turner, Blake, Gypes (Super Kev, Quinn can cover)
LB - Taylor, Naylor (can also switch Blake, Quinn or Kev over)
So in defence plenty of options and would take a hell of an injury crisis to not be able to cover that.

Midfield - Well we only conway as a real wide player (Cowie isnt IMO). We play so narrow that we basically only play with central midfield players of which we also have plenty or in a diamond like previous games this season.

McPhail
Gunarrson
Kiss
Wittingham
Conway
Ralls
Taiwo (at a push)
(players like Mason, Blake, Taylor have also played midfield before now, infact even super Kev has)
Midfield plenty of options again, I agree a wide player would have been nice and useful but not the end of the world. We have managed so far with and without Conway

Upfront
Miller
Earnie
Rudy
Mason
(considering we play mainly one up thats not bad either).

In summary I dont think we are short on players at all, even an injury crisis we have cover and the closeness the squad has because we have these perm players rather than loans means they would bust a gut in a new position if asked to. If we lost say 7/8 players then yes we would be in big but that would be the same with any club.

Re: Small Squad?

Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:15 pm

I'm just fed up with people saying "Malky hasn't been backed" bla bla bla - At the end of the day I haven't seen many players I'd particularly like in our squad that was a loan target (That could actually fit in with the squad and not upset the team balance).

Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:17 pm

we'l just have to beat forest on saturday and carry on winning

to be honest i hope blackburn kncok us out because if we play a two legger against one of the big boys, it will cripple us.
they will be tough 100% games we just dont have the squad to carry on this push even without injuries their gona be over played

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:28 pm

2blue2handle wrote:People keep mentioning how small the squad is but I dont really agree. Yes it would be nice to have another 3/4 players but I certainly dont think its massively important YET. MM has said he wants to strengthen at the right time and with the right players and I fully back him with that as his signing to date have been excellent.

We have considerable cover in every position except wide but I dont see that stopping us as we only have one winger anyway and play so narrow its still workable with a diamond like we have earlier in the season.

So in defence plenty of options and would take a hell of an injury crisis to not be able to cover that.

Midfield - Well we only conway as a real wide player (Cowie isnt IMO). We play so narrow that we basically only play with central midfield players of which we also have plenty or in a diamond like previous games this season.

McPhail
Gunarrson
Kiss
Wittingham
Conway
Ralls
Taiwo (at a push)
(players like Mason, Blake, Taylor have also played midfield before now, infact even super Kev has)
Midfield plenty of options again, I agree a wide player would have been nice and useful but not the end of the world. We have managed so far with and without Conway

Upfront
Miller
Earnie
Rudy
Mason

In summary I dont think we are short on players at all, even an injury crisis we have cover and the closeness the squad has because we have these perm players rather than loans means they would bust a gut in a new position if asked to. If we lost say 7/8 players then yes we would be in big but that would be the same with any club.

Great post, we also have Ralls who has a great left-foot and could do a job on the wing IMO.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:31 pm

I really like the look of Ralls in what ive seen.
People disliked DJ (for many reasons) but the main one being he wouldnt give youth a chance. Now people want loan players in which would push the likes of Ralls, Mason and Rudy even further down the pecking order.
Its kind of contradicting what a lot of people said about DJ not giving youth a chance.

Re: " Small Squad ? "

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:32 pm

Luke, My friend, I was proved totally right about Dave Jones, I really hope I am wrong about our squad not being big enough this season and we stay in the top 6 with this current squad.

So far Malky has performed miracles with them, I say he needs more players, Malky the other day stated. " This squad needs strengthening if we want promotion. "

I back Malky 100%. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I without doubt feel heeds more players. :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:37 pm

We def need more players over the season Annis, I would say a winger and a striker is the key area but im not sure now is the time to do it and we also need to get rid of some deadwood which I believe January is ideal.

If we want to continue to progress then we need to buy (not loan) players in Jan or I agree we wont go up this season.

I fully believe in MM, he was always my first choice and delighted we got him and I sense he would rather a permanent signing along the lines of a Mason in Jan rather than two loans over the next month and a half.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:46 pm

2blue2handle wrote:We def need more players over the season Annis, I would say a winger and a striker is the key area but im not sure now is the time to do it and we also need to get rid of some deadwood which I believe January is ideal.

If we want to continue to progress then we need to buy (not loan) players in Jan or I agree we wont go up this season.

I fully believe in MM, he was always my first choice and delighted we got him and I sense he would rather a permanent signing along the lines of a Mason in Jan rather than two loans over the next month and a half.

Totally agree and surely we have learn't the lessons of previous seasons with regard to loans? This window was known as an 'emergency loan window' and that is what it should be used for, signing players to cover emergency situations only rather than an alternative team stregthening excerise.

January is a natural time to stock take, as you said we can clear out the deadwood and bring in players on more permanent contracts and make them feel part of the band of promotion brothers at Cardiff City.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:We def need more players over the season Annis, I would say a winger and a striker is the key area but im not sure now is the time to do it and we also need to get rid of some deadwood which I believe January is ideal.

Totally agree and surely we have learn't the lessons of previous seasons with regard to loans? This window was known as an 'emergency loan window' and that is what it should be used for, signing players to cover emergency situations only rather than an alternative team stregthening excerise.

January is a natural time to stock take, as you said we can clear out the deadwood and bring in players on more permanent contracts and make them feel part of the band of promotion brothers at Cardiff City.

I reckon we have saved anything up to £15,000/£20,000 every week, loaning out the number of players we have including Parkin, Keinan, Wildig, Jarvis and Farah.

We needed more players, Malky wanted more players but why has he not been able to get them.
Malky stated this week," if we want promotion we have to strengthen the squad."

I trust and believe in Malky more than I have in a manager for many many years. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:50 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Luke, My friend, I was proved totally right about Dave Jones, I really hope I am wrong about our squad not being big enough this season and we stay in the top 6 with this current squad.

So far Malky has performed miracles with them, I say he needs more players, Malky the other day stated. " This squad needs strengthening if we want promotion. "

I believe we need more players to sustain a play off challenge but i think we only have 6 games til january (league). so if we have got limited funds i'd rather use those funds on players who would be ours permanently rather than paying man utd a big loan fee to develop their player for them!

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:51 pm

This loan window leaves us with 3 problems.

1.Any move for a youngster with any real talent would require him being guarenteed games, and probably would result in us not signing him permenantly.

2. Any injured players making a comeback - same as above.

3. The only players that teams want rid of now, with a view to a permenant transfer, are players that aren't good enough - other teams versions of Gyppes, Parkin etc etc

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:53 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I reckon we have saved anything up to £15,000/£20,000 every week, loaning out the number of players we have including Parkin, Keinan, Wildig, Jarvis and Farah.

That's £80,000 p/m just think what Malky can do with that come January :idea:

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:44 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I reckon we have saved anything up to £15,000/£20,000 every week, loaning out the number of players we have including Parkin, Keinan, Wildig, Jarvis and Farah.

Tony, Good point, but I still believe he needed it now. :ayatollah:

Just wondering why this week, Malky stated " If we want promotion this squad needs strengthening" funny time to say it.
But personally I say it needs strengthening now as, Winter is here, injuries and suspensions ahead.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Just wondering why this week, Malky stated " If we want promotion this squad needs strengthening" funny time to say it.
But personally I say it needs strengthening now as, Winter is here, injuries and suspensions ahead.

Annis in the interview he did say we needed more players in every position except defence to last the distance.
It's only 5 weeks til jan and then it's only around half way. I haven't seen him say we need players on loan at any point. No doubt he would have liked someone but he alway maintained he wanted the right player at the right time.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:53 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis in the interview he did say we needed more players in every position except defence to last the distance.
It's only 5 weeks til jan and then it's only around half way. I haven't seen him say we need players on loan at any point. No doubt he would have liked someone but he alway maintained he wanted the right player at the right time.

Very good points as usual Luke, but I def know Malky tried for a couple of players this week, but the money the other clubs wanted was the stumbling points.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Luke, My friend, I was proved totally right about Dave Jones, I really hope I am wrong about our squad not being big enough this season and we stay in the top 6 with this current squad.

I see what you are saying Annis, but surely every team could say the same, all fans want a couple of extra players thinking that could make the difference, but true football people know that it doesn't always add value.

An example is J Lloyd Samuel last season, a premiership defender that weakened the team and added to our problems imo.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:57 pm

As long as hes' prepared to alternate and rest key player im sure we can get through to january with a good run of form and avoid injurys...........Then hopefully strengthen the squad with permanent signing :ayatollah:

My biggest fear is running miller into the ground playing the loan striker role 2-3 times a week!

Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Jan will be important but imagine what he can do next summer, with a full pre-season and all those free agents, that will be interesting.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:49 pm

2blue2handle wrote:People keep mentioning how small the squad is but I dont really agree. Yes it would be nice to have another 3/4 players but I certainly dont think its massively important YET. MM has said he wants to strengthen at the right time and with the right players and I fully back him with that as his signing to date have been excellent.

McPhail
Gunarrson
Kiss
Wittingham
Conway
Ralls
Taiwo (at a push)

Upfront
Miller
Earnie
Rudy
Mason

And Cowie.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:54 pm

Just testing to see if anyone read it :oops:

So much quality why are people moaning :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:05 am

McPhail
Gunarrson
Kiss
Wittingham
Conway
Ralls
Taiwo (at a push)

Upfront
Miller
Earnie
Rudy
Mason

Spot on mate. The only questionable area is upfront for me. I think the 2 back up attackers of Mason and Gestede are un-proven, but to be honest un-proven means nothing as they could be hit or miss and to be honest from what i've seen they should be a hit.

Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:12 am

Lets hope I was wrong and this squad without strengthening, stays in the top 6 come January :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:47 am

2blue2handle wrote:Annis in the interview he did say we needed more players in every position except defence to last the distance.

Being pedantic it is 5 weeks until 1 January, the first opportunity to strengthen the squad.

However, players tend to come towards the end of the window rather than the beginning, so I would say 8 weeks before we see new faces.

But the point is still the same the squad we have should be enough to get us through until then, but there can be no excuses come the third week of January has we will desperately need those extra players by then.

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am

I have no doubt that we need at least 3 players to be added to our squad and at least a couple of those need to be "experienced" players. So far this season MM has done an absolutely fabulous job of introducing young and inexperienced players whilst maintaining our position in and around the playoff places.

But I am sure that players like Mason, Gestede, Kiss and Ralls were never in MM plans as far as playing as much as they have, in my opinion these were players for his development squad and it's tremendous credit to them all that they have forced themselves into first team reckoning. But as the season moves if we are still involved in the playoffs chase then the pressure builds and I worry about how these young players handle it.

If you look through the squad we seem to be "light" on experience rather than numbers and if you look at the number of players over 24, or players who have more than 100 Championship games under their belts it's not that good. I would say there are probably about a dozen players who will fit the experience tag and I don't think that is enough.

MM is about as opposite as he could be compared to DJ in his willingness to play young players and I suppose DJ previous reliance on older players rather than youngsters probable isn't a good example to back up my arguement. But MM has different criteria when it comes to selecting players and if he signs experienced players you can bet they will be able to stand up to the plate when required.

As I say I would be really happy with a couple of experienced players covering the midfield and attack. Get those and I think we will make the playoffs. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: