Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Safiq Rahim Starts City Trial

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:03 pm

Malaysia international Safiq Rahim is set to begin a three-week trial stint with Championship promotion hopefuls Cardiff City.

The 24-year old is the second Malaysian to train under the watchful eye of the Bluebirds' coaching staff, following Safee Sali's stint in Wales back in September.

The Selangor midfielder, who captained his country against Liverpool and Arsenal during their Asian tours in July, is determined to make the most of the opportunity.

"It's a chance that I've been waiting for," Safiq was quoted as saying on bernama.com.

"This is the best opportunity for me to show my football skills. I know it's tough but nothing is impossible.

"My dream is to become the first Malaysian to play in England."

Opportunity

Cardiff City are owned by Datuk Chan Tien Ghee and the Malaysian businessman has confirmed that manager Malky Mackay will be taking a close look at Safiq.

"We're glad to have Safiq in Cardiff for three weeks. He'll be well taken care of there and be given the chance to train with the first team," said Chan.

"He'll be looked at personally by Malky Mackay and we'll get a full evaluation done by (him)."

Sourced from Sky Sports

Re: Safiq Rahim Starts City Trial

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Its just part of the link up id think, cant see us signing him. No harm in him coming over tho.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:06 pm

Its probably down to building our reputation with Malaysia, Malky said its hard to acquire a work permit before but who knows, if he impresses then i will welcome another player with open arms :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:06 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Its just part of the link up id think, cant see us signing him. No harm in him coming over tho.

Didnt some1 say he wouldnt get a work permit to play over here anyway?

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:11 pm

boxerbob wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Its just part of the link up id think, cant see us signing him. No harm in him coming over tho.

It was brought up with our other trialist Safee Sali (the Malaysian Beckham) that a work permit would be hard to acquire, but if one can be granted then happy days :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:13 pm

LWay wrote:
boxerbob wrote:

It was brought up with our other trialist Safee Sali (the Malaysian Beckham) that a work permit would be hard to acquire, but if one can be granted then happy days :ayatollah:

I thought it was same loanee(im dull) :D

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:14 pm

I thought the same when I read the story :lol:
This time we have the Malaysian International captain on trial with us instead of the Malaysian Becks :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:36 pm

This guys a midfielder, free kick expert, scored some crackers against Liverpool and Arsenal pre season - look him up on you tube, plenty of Videos - looks ok to me but what do I know :lol:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:39 pm

He does look like a quite a good player :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:15 pm

No way he'd get a work permit, as mentioned above this is purely for Cardiff/Malaysia relations

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:37 pm

IS ANYONE ELSE WORRIED...

That the Malaysians are going to pack our team with cheap Malaysian imports,
sell our best players and do one at the end of the season

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:43 pm

taffyapple wrote:IS ANYONE ELSE WORRIED...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:39 pm

Does it have to be cheap Malaysians? If that's the plan it could be any old cheap players :D ;)

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:46 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

Does it have to be cheap Malaysians? If that's the plan it could be any old cheap players :D ;)

My work in the Public Sector leads me to believe its all part of an 'offloading plan'

the more Malaysians players we buy, the more chance Tan has of selling off whats left of
Cardiff City (after stripping it of all assets) to a fellow Malaysian or did you not watch
'Dispatches' :lol:

All joking apart. It cannot be more than a public relations exercise, cos he's highly unlikely
to get a work permit, and I doubt he's good enough. But i suppose if he goes back there
and 'spreads the word' then whats it cost us? a hotel room for two weeks?

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Gavlar wrote:No way he'd get a work permit, as mentioned above this is purely for Cardiff/Malaysia relations

I read somewhere that he would be able to get a work permit. Its something like you need to be involved in at least 10% of international matches during your time declared (or some bs like that) and seeing as he is the Malaysian Captain then he can actually qualify for a work permit.

Not 100% sure how true all this is, as the saying goes "dont believe everything you read on the internet" :old: :lol:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:36 pm

I've read further into it, i knew there was a percentage i just got it wrong :lol:

"Currently a non-EU player applying for the permit must have played for his country in at least 75% of its competitive 'A' team matches for which he was available for selection during the previous two years, and his country must have averaged at least 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings over the previous two years. If a player does not meet those criteria, the club wishing to sign him may appeal if they believe that he is a special talent and "able to contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in the UK"

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:46 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCL-Hxl3iDE

hes got a good right foot on him,

I think he'd struggle physically and mentally completely different enviroment.

he looks potentially on par to the likes of mason, but he'd get snapped