Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

PLAYING WITH ONE UP FRONT.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Although a lot of people see this as a negative approach in football and limits our attacking options i think a few will be suprised to hear that Cardiff City have had more shots on target than any other team in the division. Prior to last nights game we had 128 shots on target so far this term.

Just some useless information for you all. :)

Re: PLAYING WITH ONE UP FRONT.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:27 pm

intresting i wouldnt have thought that but our midfield are very good this year

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:33 pm

nobby wrote:Although a lot of people see this as a negative approach in football and limits our attacking options i think a few will be suprised to hear that Cardiff City have had more shots on target than any other team in the division. Prior to last nights game we had 128 shots on target so far this term.

That surprises me too

My only concern about it is that perhaps that lone striker could burn out?

Which is why we need cover!

But again, when Mason came in for Miller.... we still looked pretty good
AND he scored goals

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:40 pm

We musn't become predictable though, in a perfect world we might have been able to use Gestede (or should have used Mason) to be a bit more pressing to a team at the bottom of the table. But that's by the by i'm not that disappointed from 4 points from 2 away games.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:45 pm

nobby wrote:Although a lot of people see this as a negative approach in football and limits our attacking options i think a few will be suprised to hear that Cardiff City have had more shots on target than any other team in the division. Prior to last nights game we had 128 shots on target so far this term.

Not useless info Nobby :ayatollah:
Before we played Peterboro' away,we had the most shots and Peterboro were the 2nd best in the league.
Good to see since that game we are still getting chances to score :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:54 pm

Miller leads the line very well just wish his finishing was a bit better at times.
Be interesting to see what happens when Rudy comes back or if we get in a loan striker because MM did like to play two up for a number of games.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:28 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Miller leads the line very well just wish his finishing was a bit better at times.
Be interesting to see what happens when Rudy comes back or if we get in a loan striker because MM did like to play two up for a number of games.

I think its an inevitable consequence of being a lone striker. Kenny spends
a lot of the match out wide, dropping in the hole, taking defenders out
of the box. If his role was more direct, I daresay he'd have well over ten
goals by now

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:53 pm

taffyapple wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Miller leads the line very well just wish his finishing was a bit better at times.

I think its an inevitable consequence of being a lone striker. Kenny spends
a lot of the match out wide, dropping in the hole, taking defenders out
of the box. If his role was more direct, I daresay he'd have well over ten
goals by now

He is getting the chance though, just not finishing them consistently enough for my liking

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:50 pm

I love this formation. It offers us stability, and sets us up to play tidy football and to defend - then we can build from there. With it, we basically dictate the destiny of the match.

I feel our tactics are a lot more structured than last year, where sometimes our tactics were sometimes more hopeful and we were liable to be drawn in to a very open match.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:11 pm

I believe using this formation and the way MM feels how Whittingham is integral to how we play is making us a very good team :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:05 pm

Nobby, this is a good topic for debate, for what it's worth, we all must know as footy fans, how physically demanding this role is, it must be one of the toughest jobs any player can perform, if you came to play me, with only one up top, I would change my system immediately and push one or two into midfield, allowing me to push one more up front or I may ask my full backs to become wing back roles, but whatever I decided to do, i think it would put more pressure on the opposition.

The only time I would adopt a one up top game plan, is if I knew it was damage limitation exercise. ATB. Reeco

Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:05 pm

I think with limited options upfront at present Malkay has little option other than to play with a lone striker.. To be honest we have also looked more dangerous with our current formation :ayatollah: