Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" TRUTH ABOUT THE SOLDIERS SHIRT "

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:23 am

Seen lot's of posts about this lad from Rhymney who is a mad City fan and tragically lost his life this week in Afghanistan. there are story's all over certain sites saying someone had contacted the club asking for a shirt so that the lad can be buried wearing the shirt of the club he loved.

Apparently who ever they have supposedly talked to at the club knocked them back, when i read this i was gob smacked, our club has been so supportive of the military on so many occasions and they have a real strong bond with all branches of the armed forces.

I rang the club to check on the validity of these claims and those involved at the club are gob smacked. They are as always keen to help and are dealing with this now and have sent a letter to this lad's commanding officer. For all our griped with the club on certain issues, the way they have dealt with sensitive issues such as this is one area that we must commend them on.

R.I.P. fellow Bluebird, there will be a few tears shed on Saturday. :old:

Re: TRUTH ABOUT THE SOLDIERS SHIRT

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:35 am

so definetly not true gwyn?

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:50 am

jinks-rct wrote:so definetly not true gwyn?

The truth is Jinx, it looks like someone asked someone else who's brother works in the community but has links to the club if he could get a shirt and he said no, in as much as he didn't know who to ask, which is fair enough.

But for God sake, anyone needing help like this should be asking the right people, not someone who knows someone else who lives next door to an ex player type of scenario. :(

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:52 am

all sorted now though and the family etc are happy? its been made to look worse by the jackbastards on facebook

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:29 am

I had an Email this morning from a guy called Ken Wharton he is an author of books such as Northen Ireland, 1969-98 and Bullets and cups of tea; The British army in Northen Ireland; And Bloody Belfast; And The bloodyest year: Northen Ireland1972He states that an Email was sent to your football club, could you please throw some light on these rumors?

There are as yet unsubstantiated rumours begining to circulate about your clubs refusal to help honour one of our fallen in Afghanistan, namely a refusal to donate a shirt to the family of a fallen soldier so that he can be buried in his teams favorite colours. The soldier is lance CPL Scanlon of the Queens Dragoon Gaurds.
Could you please confirm if this is correct as I have no wish to continue this rumour if untrue.

Is this guy digging dirt for future books or is he concerned?

There is no way, as Gwyn said that our club would not help by donating a shirt to the family of CPL Scanlon, CCFC fully support the work that the military are doing for this country

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:37 am

Vince alm wrote on facebook its def not true,the club has donated a shirt and invited his regiment to a game when they are home.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:41 am

never believed in a million years our club would do such a thing,glad its sorted
shame on the jacks who used this sensitive subject to have a pop at cardiff city(there really does seem to be f**k all happening in swansea at the moment)

r.i.p

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:13 pm

The truth is there are people at the club who would put their hand in their own pocket to get him a shirt if need be.

People who are using this soldier as a political weapon against the club need to hang their heads in shame, Especially those who start their little rumour off with "I don't know if this is true but....".

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:46 pm

Recently relations with our cousins from down West seem to have improved but for some of their fans are despicable for trying to point score over such a tragic loss.

I am sure our Club and us fans will honour this fallen hero and City Fan with a minutes silence or applause on Saturday may he rest in peace :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:57 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Gwyn.. there are some shitstirers and who ever started this rumour should be slapped feckin stupid.. Not for one minute did I believe the club would be so insenstive... Well done city..

Hope they hold a minute silence at the next home game in honour of this young brave soldier. Any plans to do a collection for this fellas family?

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:57 pm

The following is an exerpt of an e-mail that has been sent this morning by Stadium Manager Wayne Nash to Lt Col Richard Brace at Maindy Barracks:

This morning I was saddened to learn that the Welsh Cavalryman who recently paid the ultimate sacrifice was a Cardiff City fan. Thereafter, to my frustration, I was forwarded your e-mail referring to the club's failure to supply a shirt.

I am not sure when or to whom you made your phone call but I can assure you that we will be privileged, humbled and honoured to supply you with a shirt.

The SSAFAs had also been in contact with us via the normal channels for the same request and the shirt has been agreed to be provided or sent.

As a club, I can reiterate that we are huge supporters of our Military. This position has been reinforced since the 2008 FA Cup Final, when servicemen from all over were scrambling home and we were able to provide them with match tickets.

This scramble back from outposts including Iraq and Afghanistan highlighted to us how important we are to our communities and our services, and ever since we have made efforts to improve relations. We have had the privilege of hosting both the Welsh Guards and the Royal Welsh at the Cardiff City Stadium after they had returned from their operational tours in Afghanistan.

We are currently working on offering the same courtesy to 1 Rifles who, as we understand, are on POTL leave and I would be pleased if you could take this e-mail as an open invitation for the Regiment to come to the Stadium with their families to take the applause of the fans on their return from operations in Afghanistan.

Specific to Lance Corporal Scanlon, our Chief Executive has asked that I gather information from the media and MOD website and we will offer our condolences to his family in this weekend's match programme.

Due to our links with the services, I am at Maindy Barracks tomorrow for a lunch held by Lt Col Cleverly. I shall bring the shirt with me.

Regards

Wayne Nash
Cardiff City Stadium Manager

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:59 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:00 pm

jinks-rct wrote:so definetly not true gwyn?

Def not true Jinks.

You may have read that CCFC refused to donate a shirt to a welsh dragoon guard who got killed in action in afghan! I can confirm that this is not true CCFC are donating a shirt to go in the coffin and have also invited the regiment to a home game on there return home.

Re: " TRUTH ABOUT THE SOLDIERS SHIRT "

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:24 pm

Well done CCFC :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
RIP Fellow Bluebird :(

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:56 pm

Cheers once again Gwyn for sorting all the gossip out. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:10 pm

RIP fellow birdbird :(

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:20 pm

bob dylan wrote:RIP fellow birdbird :(

throughout all this the sad fact of someone losing his life has been missed because of some spiteful attack on our club, the last thing the gentleman would have wanted.

RIP Bluebird.

Also I posted on my FB what Vince Alm said
"Vince Alm: "You may have read that CCFC refused to donate a shirt to a welsh dragoon guard who got killed in action in afghan! I can confirm that this is not true CCFC are donating a shirt to go in the coffin and have also invited the regiment to a home game on there return home" \o/ <o> \o/ <o"

And a girl I used to work with who has no interest in football replied under it

"yep it's a load of poop, a young boy of 9 years passed away from my village and they had the team to his funeral and donated a flag to his coffin. they are a VERY considerate club xx"
:ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:44 pm

I said this last night. People with no links to Cardiff City saw their arses and kicked
off over this without getting the facts right. Now thats excusable. Emotions running
high etc. Also... jacks, and other spiteful bitter people jumped on the bandwagon.
Although inexcusable, its understandable, some people would do anything to make
this Club look bad.

However.

There are a few on this board who immediately posted how disgusted they were with
Cardiff City.

given the Clubs attitude towards serviceman, towards sick City fans and towards supporters
who have lost their lives, i find it disgusting that so called 'Cardiff' supporters would not sit
back and wait for the facts before diving in and slagging this club off. We dont need people
like this!!

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Club has now made an official statement on the website which includes a thank you from the family. Well done to the club :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

R.I.P Bluebird :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:50 pm

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/New ... 57,00.html