Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" VERY DISAPPOINTED LAST NIGHT AT COVENTRY "

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:39 am

" VERY DISAPPOINTED LAST NIGHT AT COVENTRY "

I felt that, that was two points definitely lost, Coventry were very ordinary and we should of killed them off and teams like Coventry have to be beaten if you intend to maintain a promotion campaign.

On the plus side, this shows how far and quickly we have come under Malky as a couple of months ago, getting a point at Coventry this season would of been a good result and we would of all been happy, Malky has lifted our expectations much faster than I ever anticipated.

Great support once again over 1,100 fans there and every player, plus of course Malky thanked us at the end for going. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " VERY DISAPPOINTED LAST NIGHT AT COVENTRY "

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:48 am

Yeh that is good that the expectations have lifted! Isn't it ironic how we are praising makay for lifting expectations now, yet in a few months we will be killing him for not reaching those expectations that he has set!!

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:49 am

These games can happen and we all know what this division is like. I am sure Coventry will take points off our rivals as will other teams down there. I know this might sound defeatist but I still remain with the attitude that we should win our home games and anything gained away is a bonus. :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:52 am

Zabier wrote:These games can happen and we all know what this division is like. I am sure Coventry will take points off our rivals as will other teams down there. I know this might sound defeatist but I still remain with the attitude that we should win our home games and anything gained away is a bonus. :ayatollah:

you are right... win your home and draw your away... however if a team is poor like coventry were last night then maybe we really should be picking up more points on the road..

4 points from 2 away games , i would have settled for that prior to both... :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:52 am

easternblue wrote:Yeh that is good that the expectations have lifted! Isn't it ironic how we are praising makay for lifting expectations now, yet in a few months we will be killing him for not reaching those expectations that he has set!!

It is great, but I def wont turn on him if we fail as he has a very small and new squad. He needs 3 or 4 new players now. :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:56 am

Zabier wrote:These games can happen and we all know what this division is like. I am sure Coventry will take points off our rivals as will other teams down there. I know this might sound defeatist but I still remain with the attitude that we should win our home games and anything gained away is a bonus. :ayatollah:

Steve, 100% with you that we should win our home games first, I prob got carried away before last night, as usually I am very cautious before hand, but because of our recent great and surprise run, I went for a 3 nil win for us. oops I got that really wrong. Malky has certainly exceeded my expectations this season. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:56 am

We draw 1 - 1 at Coventry after going 1 up and WHU win there 2 - 1 after going a goal down , thats the difference between automatic promotion contenders and play off hopefulls ...... at the mo City and Malky doing better than Id expected . Wasnt there but heared we should have won last night ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:00 am

Martyn1963 wrote:We draw 1 - 1 at Coventry after going 1 up and WHU win there 2 - 1 after going a goal down , thats the difference between automatic promotion contenders and play off hopefulls ...... at the mo City and Malky doing better than Id expected . Wasnt there but heared we should have won last night ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

yeah we should of won and thats the same as a few of our draws.

im just happy that we are putting ourself in winning situations, rather than getting thumped or not doing enough to earn a victory. we keep playing like we do then we will have more wins ont he way !!

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:11 am

lets hope we can overcome last years shocker at home to forest with a win on saturday....

we have a fantastic 8 days of football coming up...

anyone know what happened to hudson?

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:22 am

He needs something different on bench to change things,a pacy winger and a decent Target man to hold ball up or flick on for miller,at moment we seem to have like for like on bench.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:27 am

ngriffiths wrote:He needs something different on bench to change things,a pacy winger and a decent Target man to hold ball up or flick on for miller,at moment we seem to have like for like on bench.

Thats why I honestly believe 3 or 4 new players woulds keep us in the top 6 and maybe even top 2. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:41 am

Them sky blues are fighting for there lives now, and they did put up a good fight when they played West Ham, Ithink as big Ben said they had to big guys up front and kept putting them balls across and some times you cant defend every one as you would like.
I havent seen the goal yet, but Im sure our defenders are not happy only going home with 1 point when it should have been 3.
So I hope our defenders will be really up for it Saturday and will keep all at the back water proof. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:48 am

Forever Blue wrote:" VERY DISAPPOINTED LAST NIGHT AT COVENTRY "

I felt that, that was two points definitely lost, Coventry were very ordinary and we should of killed them off and teams like Coventry have to be beaten if you intend to maintain a promotion campaign.

On the plus side, this shows how far and quickly we have come under Malky as a couple of months ago, getting a point at Coventry this season would of been a good result and we would of all been happy, Malky has lifted our expectations much faster than I ever anticipated.

Great support once again over 1,100 fans there and every player, plus of course Malky thanked us at the end for going. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Annis any point away from home is a good point in the Championship so I will take it and move on to the next game.

We all know we are a club in transition and we are currently punching above our weight as MM currently doesn't have enough options within the squad to mix things up when he needs to. There are two statistics we show how well we are doing and in my opinion how a lack of options is affecting our potential.

Firstly we have now scored the first goal in 14 of our 18 League matches and that is more than any other club in the Championship, however on the flip side of that is after last night we have now lost 13 points this season from a winning position and there is only one team with a worse record (Coventry).

I hope MM gets this player he has been chasing because he is doing and absolutely fantastic job and so are the players, but we need more players and MM needs more options within the squad.

If he gets them I believe we have a real chance of the playoffs but only if we get them :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:53 am

castleblue wrote:

Annis any point away from home is a good point in the Championship so I will take it and move on to the next game.

We all know we are a club in transition and we are currently punching above our weight as MM currently doesn't have enough options within the squad to mix things up when he needs to. There are two statistics we show how well we are doing and in my opinion how a lack of options is affecting our potential.

Firstly we have now scored the first goal in 14 of our 18 League matches and that is more than any other club in the Championship, however on the flip side of that is after last night we have now lost 13 points this season from a winning position and there is only one team with a worse record (Coventry).

I hope MM gets this player he has been chasing because he is doing and absolutely fantastic job and so are the players, but we need more players and MM needs more options within the squad.

If he gets them I believe we have a real chance of the playoffs but only if we get them :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Gary, I am deep down more than happy so far this season, but I can also see that if Malky is backed and we strengthen now, not later, we will def be in there come the end of the season,lets not miss out on this great chance.
Those stats you just said about, when were in a winning position and having lost 13 points, are quite alarming and need to be addressed. But over all, I am still very excited and enjoying my football more than I have for years, actually I am loving it.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:59 am

I think its fair to say that most of us expected a win last night. but coventry deserve some credit for the way the played last night. playing those at the bottom is equally hard if not harder than the high flyers. coventry were never goin to roll over tonight. they played well and made it very difficult for us.they were physical upfront and i'm not convinced last seasons defence would of kept them out to just the 1 goal. we could of won had it not been for a wonder save and a bad miss from kenny. but It's another point,another game unbeaten. Cardiff city have exceeded my expectations so far.and that is to the testament to all the great work the playing and coaching staff have put in. long may it continue.

I've always been of the opinion that I have no need to turn on players/managers when they are giving it everything for the shirt that we dream of playing in. That will never happen so I will not turn on the manager or the players as they will always keep on fighting, and we've just got to keep on supporting! :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:03 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Gary, I am deep down more than happy so far this season, but I can also see that if Malky is backed and we strengthen now, not later, we will def be in there come the end of the season,lets not miss out on this great chance.
Those stats you just said about, when were in a winning position and having lost 13 points, are quite alarming and need to be addressed. But over all, I am still very excited and enjoying my football more than I have for years, actually I am loving it.

Annis you know me and Statistics I'm always looking at them and to put some perspective into the 13 lost points from a winning position. Southampton have taken the lead in 11 of their 17 league games and they have gone on to win all 11 matches. In comparison we have won 8 of the 14 matches where we have taken the lead, drawn 5 and lost only 1 so we are not far away and we are where we are fully on merit.

In my opinion this is the only area of concern and I'm with yoy I'm loving this season and cannot wait until Saturday. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:26 pm

castleblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis you know me and Statistics I'm always looking at them and to put some perspective into the 13 lost points from a winning position. Southampton have taken the lead in 11 of their 17 league games and they have gone on to win all 11 matches. In comparison we have won 8 of the 14 matches where we have taken the lead, drawn 5 and lost only 1 so we are not far away and we are where we are fully on merit.

In my opinion this is the only area of concern and I'm with yoy I'm loving this season and cannot wait until Saturday. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Yes, your spot on with them Gary. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Gary I will be looking forward to your half yearly report on our Bluebirds. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:27 pm

scunny-bluebird wrote:I think its fair to say that most of us expected a win last night. but coventry deserve some credit for the way the played last night. playing those at the bottom is equally hard if not harder than the high flyers. coventry were never goin to roll over tonight. they played well and made it very difficult for us.they were physical upfront and i'm not convinced last seasons defence would of kept them out to just the 1 goal. we could of won had it not been for a wonder save and a bad miss from kenny. but It's another point,another game unbeaten. Cardiff city have exceeded my expectations so far.and that is to the testament to all the great work the playing and coaching staff have put in. long may it continue.

I've always been of the opinion that I have no need to turn on players/managers when they are giving it everything for the shirt that we dream of playing in. That will never happen so I will not turn on the manager or the players as they will always keep on fighting, and we've just got to keep on supporting! :ayatollah:

Yes, Coventry did come back and have ago, but I felt they were def there for the taking. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:41 pm

Prior to the Reading and Coventry game i would have been more than happy with 4 points from the 2 games. A gritty performance against Reading earning us a tremendous three points and a decent point at Coventry although i agree they were there for the taking. But it goes to show how far we have come under Malkay when we are disappointed at getting a point away from home.

Not too long ago we all would have been happy with finishing mid table but with the determination, work ethic and committment the team is showing then it seems our expectation levels are also increasing.

I now hope that Malkay gets given the funds to improve the strenghth of squad enabling him and the team to continue with this impressive season we are thus far having. But lets remember do not get too carried away or expect too much in the first season of our clubs overhaul. in my eyes anything above 10th place is a bonus this season. Stroll on Saturday. :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:44 pm

nobby wrote:

Prior to the Reading and Coventry game i would have been more than happy with 4 points from the 2 games. A gritty performance against Reading earning us a tremendous three points and a decent point at Coventry although i agree they were there for the taking. But it goes to show how far we have come under Malkay when we are disappointed at getting a point away from home.

Not too long ago we all would have been happy with finishing mid table but with the determination, work ethic and committment the team is showing then it seems our expectation levels are also increasing.

I now hope that Malkay gets given the funds to improve the strenghth of squad enabling him and the team to continue with this impressive season we are thus far having. But lets remember do not get too carried away or expect too much in the first season of our clubs overhaul. in my eyes anything above 10th place is a bonus this season. Stroll on Saturday. :ayatollah:

Dai, I agree what you said before hand we would of been happy with 4pts, but once we had the 3pts bagged at Reading, there were another 3pts sitting there waiting for us at Coventry, I think we missed out big time on them. But it does show how far we have come under Malky in such a short time. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Given that your wage bill is almost identical to last year (and that was ridiculously high), where is the money going to cine from for these extra 3-4 players?

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:54 pm

NJ73 wrote:Given that your wage bill is almost identical to last year (and that was ridiculously high), where is the money going to cine from for these extra 3-4 players?

Read Carls update/meeting with Alan Whitley later this week. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:04 pm

I agree, the game was there for the taking and to sustain promotion push we should win games like this, the noticeable thing though was that when cov equalised our heads didn't drop and that has happened so often in the past but not so far this season , big difference :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:11 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:

I AGREE ANNIS REALLY ENJOYING THE FOOTBALL THIS SEASON WICKED BUZZ AND SUPPORT AT AWAY GAMES, 2 MORE QUALITY PLAYERS TO COME IN AND WILL BE TOP 4 IMO? SHOULD'VE WON AT COVENTRY BUT HAPPY WITH 4PTS HOPE THE PLAYERS PUT IT TOGETHER SAT AS I BELIEVE THEY WILL GIVE ANOTHER %100, BLUEBIRDS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: ;)

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:38 pm

LutonBluebird wrote:I agree, the game was there for the taking and to sustain promotion push we should win games like this, the noticeable thing though was that when cov equalised our heads didn't drop and that has happened so often in the past but not so far this season , big difference :ayatollah:

Jules, I love it that our heads never drop under Malky and that is one of the main differences to now and last season. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:39 pm

irishblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:

I AGREE ANNIS REALLY ENJOYING THE FOOTBALL THIS SEASON WICKED BUZZ AND SUPPORT AT AWAY GAMES, 2 MORE QUALITY PLAYERS TO COME IN AND WILL BE TOP 4 IMO? SHOULD'VE WON AT COVENTRY BUT HAPPY WITH 4PTS HOPE THE PLAYERS PUT IT TOGETHER SAT AS I BELIEVE THEY WILL GIVE ANOTHER %100, BLUEBIRDS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: ;)

Yes I am loving my football and the buzz, I agree is def back. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Getting a draw last night might prove to be a godsend if it deny's Malky the cursed Manager of the Month Award :idea:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Getting a draw last night might prove to be a godsend if it deny's Malky the cursed Manager of the Month Award :idea:

Malky has changed the script tony,its november n we're racking up the points

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:26 pm

ngriffiths wrote:He needs something different on bench to change things,a pacy winger and a decent Target man to hold ball up or flick on for miller,at moment we seem to have like for like on bench.

agreed there :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:28 pm

If Whittinghams shot that the keeper saved on to the bar had gone in we be talking about a 2-1 win again plus I just seen the welsh news and they were lucky as I do not think their goal crossed the line and the ref may not have giving it another night.

So we can always pick holes but I am happy with a point as I said last night we would have lost that game in the 90th minute last season