Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " I WAS TOLD YESTERDAY THAT IT IS NOT AN OFFENCE "

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:56 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Feedback wrote:the confusion seems to come from the fact that the law says stadia need to be all seated and that you are only allowed a maximum number of spectators according to the number of seats available.

it is not illegal to stand up at a football match, how else could you get to and from your seat if you could not stand. the issue is around the clubs own rules, which as a private club they are entitled to enforce.

the stewards can ask you to sit down as they are acting on behalf of the club, the police cannot ask you to sit down. furthermore, the police cannot tell you to do anything, they can only ask you, and you do not have to comply. for example, if there was a car crash and the police asked you to stay around to give a witness statement, you are well within your rights to walk away. most people don't seem to know this.

Thank you Damian, for clearing this up and stating a few facts at the same time . :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

so youve decided what ive said is wrong provide me evidence that says im wrong
ive stated facts except you chosen to ignore them

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:59 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Feedback wrote:the confusion seems to come from the fact that the law says stadia need to be all seated and that you are only allowed a maximum number of spectators according to the number of seats available.

it is not illegal to stand up at a football match, how else could you get to and from your seat if you could not stand. the issue is around the clubs own rules, which as a private club they are entitled to enforce.

the stewards can ask you to sit down as they are acting on behalf of the club, the police cannot ask you to sit down. furthermore, the police cannot tell you to do anything, they can only ask you, and you do not have to comply. for example, if there was a car crash and the police asked you to stay around to give a witness statement, you are well within your rights to walk away. most people don't seem to know this.

Thank you Damian, for clearing this up and stating a few facts at the same time . :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk/docs/stand.rtf

if you read that it makes for some interesting reading

Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:03 pm

itsw a pity the incident yesterday has not been reported correctly ,i was there and saw how it started ,a reading fan tried to get into our part of the ground right at the back ,he was quite rightly stopped by stewards, but could not be stopped shouting and gesticulating at us, he was generally guading our fans to advance towards him ,police moved in very quickly and took control of the incident ,it was over in 2 minutes ,and has been made to look and sound more than it was, fact :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Claude Blue wrote:What about the rights of the majority who want to sit down?

Claude, were you at Reading yesterday ?

I think you will find out of 3,800 City fans there, 3,700 stood up for 90 mins.
My daughter and her friends sat down for most of the game in the front rows.

No I wasn't at Reading but have attended enough away matches in my life to know that most away fans stand up for the duration of the game.

This is primarily due to no one actually sitting in, or even standing by, their allocated seat. This allows those who want to sit to move to an area where you can sit and still watch the game - assuming there's actually space of course.

The difference at the CCS is that the vast majority of home fans are quite content to sit and only stand when events on the pitch dictate it. Clearly this majority should be allowed to sit and enjoy the match.

Those of you you wish to stand have been told that you can do so in the Canton Stand, so move there if you wish to do so.

Or do you believe that the needs of a tiny minority should usurp the rights of the vast majority?

Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:27 pm

taffyapple wrote:

Why dont they go sit in the 'Grandstand'... sort something out, cheaper seats.

Guess why.. they wont go, cos they want to be part of an atmosphere they are
killing

I sit down due to having dodgy knees.

Thanks for intimating I'm not a real fan... after all, I'm killing the atmosphere. The mythical atmosphere which was, for the most part, dead at Ninian...

Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:45 pm

nerd wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

killing

Thanks for intimating I'm not a real fan... after all, I'm killing the atmosphere. The mythical atmosphere which was, for the most part, dead at Ninian...

I'm all for creating a safe standing area in the Ninian Stand, but quite rightly there are fans like you Nerd who have a physical disability who should-not have the enjoyment of the game interfered with by other fans standing up in front of them.

With a bit of imagination this whole problem could be sorted out to everyone's satisfaction. May be we should listen to JONNY and set up a meeting between the Safety Advisory Group and Carl so he can get everyone's opinion over to them and finally introduce some long lost common sense in to this matter.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:39 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
nerd wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

killing

I'm all for creating a safe standing area in the Ninian Stand, but quite rightly there are fans like you Nerd who have a physical disability who should-not have the enjoyment of the game interfered with by other fans standing up in front of them.

With a bit of imagination this whole problem could be sorted out to everyone's satisfaction. May be we should listen to JONNY and set up a meeting between the Safety Advisory Group and Carl so he can get everyone's opinion over to them and finally introduce some long lost common sense in to this matter.

I'd hasten to add I'm not disabled - I get odd flareups every now and then causing the knee joints to get prety sore.

I could stand, but it tends to ache.

Equally, the problem is when people insist on their divine right to stand, then it forces others to stand. I well remember the Northampton playoff game years ago - an elderly gentleman with a walking stick asked some idiots if they couldsit down as he couldn't see.

He was in turn called a F***ing plastic, an old c**t etc... it's that idiotic mentality that's the problem, tbh.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:45 pm

nerd wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

killing

I actually agree in principle with what you're saying (apart from the ninian park atmosphere) - except I'm the opposite in that sitting actually makes my left knee problem flare up.

The club could easily find a solution and have both standing and sitting in the Ninian stand, without causing suffering to ones match viewing.

The Canton stand swap, once the club and others issued conditions, was short term remedy to a problem, and it hasn't worked at all - hence people are still not content.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Nothing wrong with it but i couldn't see some of the game due to people standing in the disabled area? no need for that what so ever so as long as you stand but respect others who are around you no problem with it.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:24 am

At the end of the day not everyone wants to stand and if you buy a seat IMO your totally within your right to be able to sit in it and watch a game. The problem is Ridsdale or whoever fcked up the move from Ninian to CCS, everyone was split up. I myself was shifted to the side of the Ninian Stand after having a very central seat in the bob bank.

As for is standing illegal I never thought for one minute it was but no doubt the safety people can close sections of the ground if they think the standing has an effect which they obviously do. Many times we have seen away capacities dropped because of standing to even the top clubs like Man-u.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:35 am

JONNY012697 wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk/docs/stand.rtf

if you read that it makes for some interesting reading

I would rather scratch my eye witha hook than read that shit. Regulations to stop anyone enjoying themselves

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:29 pm

a bit off topic but is it an offence to smoke in the ground?

its outdoors so leagaly it should be ok (despite it being a club policy not to allow it)

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:58 pm

This could be easily sorted if the back rows of the Ninian Stand became standing areas whilst the middle to lower areas stayed seated.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:This could be easily sorted if the back rows of the Ninian Stand became standing areas whilst the middle to lower areas stayed seated.

Exactly Tony. Well said.

There is certainly no malice in some of us wanting to stand nor is there any intention to use it as a means to cause trouble. We simply love our team, and would like to support the team in the best way we can, from our stand which many are attached to - hence people dislike being forced to the canton.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:12 pm

If this is the case, that it is down to the club to decide, what I object to is the inconsistency within our club, not the inconsistency between us and others. If our club decides whether we can stand or not, then why not be consistent across the board? Why are the visiting fans allowed to stand? Why do we have a 'standing section', and if they think this is a good idea then why locate it in a place where I and probably many other fans feel that they have a restricted view (i.e. Behind the goals). This is the question that should be asked, and consistency within our own club needs to be seen before we gain consistency with other clubs.