Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" I WAS TOLD YESTERDAY THAT IT IS NOT AN OFFENCE "

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:16 am

" I WAS TOLD YESTERDAY THAT IT IS NOT AN OFFENCE "
to stand up at a football match, it is not illegal and you can not get banned or arrested for it, is this true ?
The person who told me seem to know all the laws of a football ground. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " I WAS TOLD YESTERDAY THAT IT IS NOT AN OFFENCE "

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:23 am

Forever Blue wrote:" I WAS TOLD YESTERDAY THAT IT IS NOT AN OFFENCE "
to stand up at a football match, it is not illegal and you can not get banned or arrested for it, is this true ?
The person who told me seem to know all the laws of a football ground. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I've been telling you guys this for ages.

It is not illegal, you cannot get arrested and if they do ban you then you have a case for recompensation.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:23 am

The club can surely ban you for anything, as you sign up to their T & C's when getting a new ST, i doubt whether the old bill can do anything, but the club can eject you from the stadium whenever they want, its their property so i guess its up to them.....not that i agree with it, but pretty sure thats where fans would stand (pardon the pun)

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:25 am

Well if it's true than clubs (like ours) need to get their heads round what the rules are!!
If your blocking someones view then it's right, u shouldn't stand up but if everyone is then what's the problem,
Did u and the other 3999 city fans yesterday stand up all game cos what I saw from the highlights it looked like!

If u did all stand well done, then there isn't consistency amongst clubs and there should be

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:25 am

Bakedalasker wrote:

I've been telling you guys this for ages.

It is not illegal, you cannot get arrested and if they do ban you then you have a case for recompensation.

Yes you have Ian. :ayatollah:
Apparently, you can not be arrested for it as it is not an arrestable offence, never mind banned.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:26 am

CraigCCFC wrote:The club can surely ban you for anything, as you sign up to their T & C's when getting a new ST, i doubt whether the old bill can do anything, but the club can eject you from the stadium whenever they want, its their property so i guess its up to them.....not that i agree with it, but pretty sure thats where fans would stand (pardon the pun)

Craig, the police have no powers on it, so i was told.
Apparently its up to the individual clubs like us at Reading yesterday. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:39 am

CraigCCFC wrote:The club can surely ban you for anything, as you sign up to their T & C's when getting a new ST, i doubt whether the old bill can do anything, but the club can eject you from the stadium whenever they want, its their property so i guess its up to them.....not that i agree with it, but pretty sure thats where fans would stand (pardon the pun)

what if youre a fan watching the odd game purchasing a ticket under no direct T&Cs?

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:44 am

no its not illegal you will never get arrested or receive a court ordered ban for persistent standing
the key words here are 'persistent standing'
you are allowed to stand during moments of excitement in the game
though if you choose to stand from the first minute to the last you will find yourself in trouble
this is a club problem but not a club policy
its the Safety Advisory Group which dictates how clubs should behave as well as their fans
the SAG has a lot of power it dictates your capacities allowed during matches and can call for games to be played behind closed doors, they can even cancel games (though I have never heard of them using this option)
the SAG take persistent standing very seriously and will cut and reduce capacities accordingly (or at least threaten to) if clubs arent seen to tackle persistent standing
The biggest recent story to date with Liverpool being forced to cut their away capacity for their game against Manchester United from 3,015 to 1,965 due to persistent standing in their fixture last year.
So no its not illegal but clubs are still within their rights to ask you to leave, with forced policies handed down from the SAG

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:50 am

What about the rights of the majority who want to sit down?

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:03 am

Claude Blue wrote:What about the rights of the majority who want to sit down?

Claude, were you at Reading yesterday ?

I think you will find out of 3,800 City fans there, 3,700 stood up for 90 mins.
My daughter and her friends sat down for most of the game in the front rows.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:04 am

Claude Blue wrote:What about the rights of the majority who want to sit down?

Why dont they go sit in the 'Grandstand'... sort something out, cheaper seats.

Guess why.. they wont go, cos they want to be part of an atmosphere they are
killing

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:21 pm

why dont you all just stand up? what are the stewards going to do? throw out 1000's of people? we just roll over in this country and accept everything.....you think the french or spanish would allow this? the italiaNS? :lol: NO WAY

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:32 pm

goats wrote:why dont you all just stand up? what are the stewards going to do? throw out 1000's of people? we just roll over in this country and accept everything.....you think the french or spanish would allow this? the italiaNS? :lol: NO WAY

Goats, because they have split everyone up and put a lot of new fans in between, who dont know how to sing/clap, never mind stand up. :lol:

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:39 pm

Standing at CCS needs to be allowed immediately! Yesterday at reading I along with 3,800 others stood and kicked every ball, tackled every tackle and sung my heart out, it's fair to say yesterday we were the 12 th man and the players responded to it! The club really need to look at this because I think if they relaxed there stance on standing the atmosphere would improve so much and would play a major role in getting us out of this league, the managers efforts and commitment is there fir all to see as is the players so I think it's time the club allowed us fans to show ours! :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:44 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
goats wrote:why dont you all just stand up? what are the stewards going to do? throw out 1000's of people? we just roll over in this country and accept everything.....you think the french or spanish would allow this? the italiaNS? :lol: NO WAY

Goats, because they have split everyone up and put a lot of new fans in between, who dont know how to sing/clap, never mind stand up. :lol:

why do you all think so small
guaranteed if every fan in the ground stood there isnt anything stewards could do
but the stewards dont make policy
target the SAG and their policy
this country doesnt roll over
its lazy and doesnt attack the correct people
football fans will blame stewards because thats the easy option
rather than making the effort to try and change policy
thats hard and difficult and it will take time
but people no cant do that ill just scream and shout at the bloke in a high-vis jacket who has no control on policy
if you really want to change things
you need to skip your stewards
avoid your club
and go straight to the top the SAG and the government
but its all too much effort for alot of people
so if you cant be bothered to fight for change
you have to accept things the way they are

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:45 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

guaranteed if every fan in the ground stood there isnt anything stewards could do
but people no cant do that ill just scream and shout at the bloke in a high-vis jacket who has no control on policy
avoid your club

3,800 CITY FANS AT READING YESTERDAY and I DONT SEE ANYONE MOANING, IN FACT QUITE THE OPPOSITE. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:50 pm

Its the club that get it , cos of health and safety , the club could get it in the neck for allowing fans to stand against the ruling of H&S. :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Surely its a matter of respect to those fan `s who want to sit down but cant see around standing ones :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:56 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

avoid your club

3,800 CITY FANS AT READING YESTERDAY and I DONT SEE ANYONE MOANING, IN FACT QUITE THE OPPOSITE. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

not yet but as per most threads concerning standing stewards usually get it in the neck
think bigger
and as per the video youve just posted on facebook with cardiff fans trying to attack the home end 13 minutes into the game while we are 1-0 up
makes you wonder why the club dont want to swap the ends over or allow a standing section in the ninian stand
because i thought it was all just friendly banter as per your arguments to have the ends swap
but if our fans are going to behave like that even if it is a minority ill keep the ground the way it is

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:13 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

avoid your club

not yet but as per most threads concerning standing stewards usually get it in the neck
think bigger
and as per the video youve just posted on facebook with cardiff fans trying to attack the home end 13 minutes into the game while we are 1-0 up
makes you wonder why the club dont want to swap the ends over or allow a standing section in the ninian stand
because i thought it was all just friendly banter as per your arguments to have the ends swap
but if our fans are going to behave like that even if it is a minority ill keep the ground the way it is

What this got to do with this topic about standing ?
Where do I have a go at stewards ?
So 30 Cardiff fans ran over to Reading fans out of 3,800 Cardiff fans who stood up and cheered their team on for 90 mins, I dont see how this belongs in this topic, please explain Cardiff City steward ?

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:16 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Surely its a matter of respect to those fan `s who want to sit down but cant see around standing ones :ayatollah:

Which is why the club need to sort out a standing section in the block 116/7/8 out of respect and consideration to those who wish to stand there. In the process, not obstructing anyone who wishes to sits view.

This problem is very easy to solve, yet the club and stewards refuse to come to a compromise.

The Canton stand suited the club, not anyone else; people only moved their out of desperation.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

avoid your club

think bigger

So 30 Cardiff fans ran over to Reading fans out of 3,800 Cardiff fans who stood up and cheered their team on for 90 mins, I dont see how this belongs in this topic, please explain Cardiff City steward ?

what this got to do with this topic about standing? a great deal, for the record i dont agree with forcing fans to sit but i understand the reasoning for it
If you control fans you prevent illegal activity from starting or if it does start you can control it a lot easier
If you allow fans to stand surges occur a lot easier
Where do I have a go at stewards? You personally havent (not yet anyway) but this your topic you asked a question on why do clubs make you sit down if its not a criminal offence and even though you havent asked the question directly you certainly are aiming towards it.
30 Cardiff fans attack Reading stewards (ill use those words because they are the words you used on the video posted on facebook) The SAG wont care if it was 30, 3000, 300 or 3 these fans fans have given the SAG all the ammunition it needs to implement its controls on fans.
This point of view belongs on this topic because when you complain about the controls on fans at football and say your victims of a harsh Nazi like regime, this is what the authorities will throw back at you
Should standing be allowed at football in my opinion YES (i put that in capitals so there is no confusion)
Will the SAG allow standing not until even the minority of fans learn to behave themselves

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Once you set foot into the ground - You abide by the rules of the club! they can Eject you from persistent standing if they wish, but that doesn't mean you can't attend the next game..... I'm sure you'll learn your lesson after being ejected?

If you want to stand in our ground we all know you have to get into the Canton stand..... simple.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Merlin wrote:Once you set foot into the ground - You abide by the rules of the club! they can Eject you from persistent standing if they wish, but that doesn't mean you can't attend the next game..... I'm sure you'll learn your lesson after being ejected?

If you want to stand in our ground we all know you have to get into the Canton stand..... simple.

That's not being very considerate towards those who wish to stand in the Ninian stand.

You know, everyone is mentioning consideration - has to be for everyone, not just a few.

You can't say standing is ok in one part of the ground, but not in another part (the ninian) where there is certainly a will for standing to be allowed.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:49 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
Merlin wrote:Once you set foot into the ground - You abide by the rules of the club! they can Eject you from persistent standing if they wish, but that doesn't mean you can't attend the next game..... I'm sure you'll learn your lesson after being ejected?

That's not being very considerate towards those who wish to stand in the Ninian stand.

You know, everyone is mentioning consideration - has to be for everyone, not just a few.

You can't say standing is ok in one part of the ground, but not in another part (the ninian) where there is certainly a will for standing to be allowed.

I don't say anything the Club do! Thats why I took my ST in the Canton.....

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:52 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:

Reading officials never tried to make Cardiff or Reading fans sit down, not once. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:54 pm

avoid your club
you have to accept things the way they are[/quote]

3,800 CITY FANS AT READING YESTERDAY and I DONT SEE ANYONE MOANING, IN FACT QUITE THE OPPOSITE. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:[/quote]

think bigger
but if our fans are going to behave like that even if it is a minority ill keep the ground the way it is[/quote]

So 30 Cardiff fans ran over to Reading fans out of 3,800 Cardiff fans who stood up and cheered their team on for 90 mins, I dont see how this belongs in this topic, please explain Cardiff City steward ?[/quote]

what this got to do with this topic about standing? a great deal, for the record i dont agree with forcing fans to sit but i understand the reasoning for it
If you control fans you prevent illegal activity from starting or if it does start you can control it a lot easier
Where do I have a go at stewards? You personally havent (not yet anyway) but this your topic you asked a question on why do clubs make you sit down if its not a criminal offence and even though you havent asked the question directly you certainly are aiming towards it.
30 Cardiff fans attack Reading stewards (ill use those words because they are the words you used on the video posted on facebook) The SAG wont care if it was 30, 3000, 300 or 3 these fans fans have given the SAG all the ammunition it needs to implement its controls on fans.
This point of view belongs on this topic because when you complain about the controls on fans at football and say your victims of a harsh Nazi like regime, this is what the authorities will throw back at you
Should standing be allowed at football in my opinion YES (i put that in capitals so there is no confusion)
Will the SAG allow standing not until even the minority of fans learn to behave themselves[/quote]

Reading officials never tried to make Cardiff or Reading fans sit down, not once. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

So really this is to do with orders from Wayne Nash our stadium manager ?

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:11 pm

avoid your club
you have to accept things the way they are[/quote]

3,800 CITY FANS AT READING YESTERDAY and I DONT SEE ANYONE MOANING, IN FACT QUITE THE OPPOSITE. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:[/quote]

think bigger
but if our fans are going to behave like that even if it is a minority ill keep the ground the way it is[/quote]

So 30 Cardiff fans ran over to Reading fans out of 3,800 Cardiff fans who stood up and cheered their team on for 90 mins, I dont see how this belongs in this topic, please explain Cardiff City steward ?[/quote]

Will the SAG allow standing not until even the minority of fans learn to behave themselves[/quote]

So really this is to do with orders from Wayne Nash our stadium manager ?[/quote]

well thats down to reading and how they deal with the SAG
but they will get in trouble over whatever happened yesterday because of smoke bombs and fans attacking the ends
the SAG give the guidelines and its down to each club to carry them out in their own way also the SAG look at each stadium individually
So yes its Wayne Nash's orders under the guidance of the SAG
and its not just Cardiff who are under scrutiny Liverpool have been given restricted capacities on certain games because of persistent standing.
Are Cardiff victims I say yes and no
Yes because we are treated a lot harshly than other clubs despite the moves weve taken to improve our club
No because Cardiff made a point of being one of the most notorious hooligan firms in the country and now we are reaping the consequences of it and one generation is being blamed for its previous generations actions
Which isnt right but thats what happens.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:41 pm

the confusion seems to come from the fact that the law says stadia need to be all seated and that you are only allowed a maximum number of spectators according to the number of seats available.

it is not illegal to stand up at a football match, how else could you get to and from your seat if you could not stand. the issue is around the clubs own rules, which as a private club they are entitled to enforce.

the stewards can ask you to sit down as they are acting on behalf of the club, the police cannot ask you to sit down. furthermore, the police cannot tell you to do anything, they can only ask you, and you do not have to comply. for example, if there was a car crash and the police asked you to stay around to give a witness statement, you are well within your rights to walk away. most people don't seem to know this.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:43 pm

Feedback wrote:the confusion seems to come from the fact that the law says stadia need to be all seated and that you are only allowed a maximum number of spectators according to the number of seats available.

it is not illegal to stand up at a football match, how else could you get to and from your seat if you could not stand. the issue is around the clubs own rules, which as a private club they are entitled to enforce.

the stewards can ask you to sit down as they are acting on behalf of the club, the police cannot ask you to sit down. furthermore, the police cannot tell you to do anything, they can only ask you, and you do not have to comply. for example, if there was a car crash and the police asked you to stay around to give a witness statement, you are well within your rights to walk away. most people don't seem to know this.

Thank you Damian, for clearing this up and stating a few facts at the same time . :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: