Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Afghan

Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:14 pm

Mate of mine,city lad in afghan naw for a month out in patrol wel a grenade blew up yards away,shrapnel smashed his face up not sure if he's lost his sight,onli 19,b home early hours tomrow,wats
all your thoughts on the war?

Re: Afghan

Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:18 pm

Canton stand blue wrote:Mate of mine,city lad in afghan naw for a month out in patrol wel a grenade blew up yards away,shrapnel smashed his face up not sure if he's lost his sight,onli 19,b home early hours tomrow,wats

I feel for him big time and all his family. Also i dont believe we should be there. They are no threat to us. I am fed up off following America. Also Russia couldnt defeat them over a 10 yr period. We are on a hiding to nothing in my opinion.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:29 pm

We shouldnt be there,

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:01 am

We are they to fight the terrorist that are threatening our society. Our troops are doing 2 jobs out there, One is to fight the terrorists ans the other job is to train up the locals to carry on the fight. Once their own troops are up to it then our lads can come home. Sadly I think this will take some time.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:05 am

Canton stand blue wrote:Mate of mine,city lad in afghan naw for a month out in patrol wel a grenade blew up yards away,shrapnel smashed his face up not sure if he's lost his sight,onli 19,b home early hours tomrow,wats

Sorry to hear this. Hope that your friend makes a full and speedy recovery...

Generally accepted that it is impossible to win in a conventional sense as the country is too divided and corrupted. Also, all this talk of the Afghan people and our interest in them is a distraction. Do we really care? The main objective is the pursuit of Al Qaeda. I understand, although I am not an expert, that the relationship between the Taleban and Al Qaeda is far from being an easy one. If that is the case, diplomatic efforts should be made with more moderate elements of the Taleban and if some elements need to be "bought out" of the fighting so be it. The bigger danger now is in Pakistan.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:38 am

We should def not be there,where are all the other countries?

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:33 pm

we are part of nato, i think there are loads of diffrent country's out there but our media picks up on our horrific losses, i for one will be glad to see our boys home i got family out there doing a cracking job, trouble is the taliban are too shit scared to fight us face to face

politics dont you just love it

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:41 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:we are part of nato, i think there are loads of diffrent country's out there but our media picks up on our horrific losses, i for one will be glad to see our boys home i got family out there doing a cracking job, trouble is the taliban are too shit scared to fight us face to face

politics dont you just love it

Yes but Baz, none of them other than USA have thousands of troops like us out there.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:51 pm

i will have to have a look into it, ffs gives me something to do as i cant go fishing :lol:

might have to take up writing a book, do you know a publisher :D

Re: Afghan troop breakdown

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:55 pm

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... gmVJ2qfZIQ

from the guardian

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:59 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:i will have to have a look into it, ffs gives me something to do as i cant go fishing :lol:

might have to take up writing a book, do you know a publisher :D

:lol:

Re: Afghan troop breakdown

Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:01 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=phNtm3LmDZEPZgmVJ2qfZIQ

from the guardian

Cheers Baz, I will enjoy looking at that, more than I thought from other countries.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:06 pm

Really sorry to hear it. Hope your friend makes a speedy recovery.

To be honest, I'm in favour of the war in Afghanistan. I think that the potential for Al Qaeda or the Taliban to do some serious damage (be it by growing massive or even getting hold of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal) is quite big - hence why 43 countries around the world have sent quite a few troops out there. I know the UK has sent the 2nd highest amount of troops (and is smaller than Canada, Germany, France, etc), however I do support the war.

I also think that the recent surge is a good thing, especially if they do train up the Afghan army and police force and then look to leave within (say) 5 years or whatever.

A stable Afghanistan with a strong-enough Pakistan to fend off the terrorists will leave the World in a more stable situation in my opinion.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:15 pm

One of our mates off the AHM bus Brownie went out there last week for six months,even tried to ask him not to go,but being
the good young lad that he is,said its his job,i dont think its a fight we can win,hope your mate is ok muk.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:20 pm

Let us all know how he is, keep us updated and possibly a crowd of us of here can do something for him. I'm sure like so many others I feel helpless letting other people do our dirty work, they are mostly yound lads who are so brave.

When they came and marched on our pitch it brought tears to my eyes,I was so proud of all of them.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:33 pm

Thanks lads will tel him the support,hopefully not as bad I got told,wil let u all no on here when I see hi
.cheers

Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:45 pm

if anybody knows a serving soldier in afghan ask the to come on here and have a chat

it would be nice morale for them to know we care and think about them

Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:07 pm

Good luck to the guy. I hope it turns out to be less serious than originally thought and that he recovers quickly.

As to thoughts on the war, its politics and I'll leave that to the politicians.
All I want is for the soldiers there to do their job and as many as possible to come home without injuries.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:51 am

Lawnmower wrote:

Good luck to the guy. I hope it turns out to be less serious than originally thought and that he recovers quickly.

As to thoughts on the war, its politics and I'll leave that to the politicians.
All I want is for the soldiers there to do their job and as many as possible to come home without injuries.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:54 am

Just pull our troops out, thats all I have to say.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:36 pm

Other countries may have troops there but we call them "non swimmers" as they don't actually get in amongst the fighting like our Army and RAF Regiment do. Them guys are really doing a hard job out there. It's only us, Canadians, Australians, Estonians and the yanks who do the majority of the fighting. Yanks mostly.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:43 pm

maccydee wrote:Other countries may have troops there but we call them "non swimmers" as they don't actually get in amongst the fighting like our Army and RAF Regiment do. Them guys are really doing a hard job out there. It's only us, Canadians, Australians, Estonians and the yanks who do the majority of the fighting. Yanks mostly.

how many have the yanks lost out there dont seem to mention it on the news

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:46 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:
maccydee wrote:Other countries may have troops there but we call them "non swimmers" as they don't actually get in amongst the fighting like our Army and RAF Regiment do. Them guys are really doing a hard job out there. It's only us, Canadians, Australians, Estonians and the yanks who do the majority of the fighting. Yanks mostly.

how many have the yanks lost out there dont seem to mention it on the news

Loads. When one of our guys die we do a ceremony for them and the Yanks had the same and it was called an Angel ceremony. Too many of them in the brief time I was there. There are thousands of US Marines at Bastion now. Gone in massive. They are really pushing in right where we are fighting in Helmand.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:48 pm

sad really sad, i hate seeing those coffins coming home, just a waste of young life, taliban are just f*cking cowards thats all you can say

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:53 pm

Totally. There are Brits over there too. They have gone to fight over there seeing it as a call to arms to fight in a holy war. If they weren't there what would they be doing here? Hence it is important for 'volunteers' to fight them over there.

Baz I have pm'ed you.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:56 pm

whilst the troops are there they deserve our full support!!!!, as to the rights and wrongs i dont think they should of been sent, is it a coincidence that the usa where denied permission to build a oil pipe through afghan then immediatly they invade and select a leader the deal for the pipe gets signed?

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:37 pm

i wish our goverment would pull our troops out now, such a waste young men suffering life changing injuries and losing their lives in a country which should be no concern of ours

Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:36 pm

murphy wrote:i wish our goverment would pull our troops out now, such a waste young men suffering life changing injuries and losing their lives in a country which should be no concern of ours

I say bring them home enough is enough we will never win over there and so what if we do.