Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: HERE IS ONE FOR ALL THE REAL WELSHMEN ON HERE

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:30 pm

Midfield general wrote:The laws around the welsh language is killing off private sector investment in Wales yet many can't see it and we are walking into a communist state with the third rate politicans in the WAG.

give me ONE example of a company pulling out of Wales because of the Welsh Language.

Just one will do

Seems a bit strange seeing as plenty are willing to go bi-lingual with Polish in factories
and shops.

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:35 pm

shinyBlueGlue wrote:What a load of bollox the welsh language is. A complete waste of money and time, added to that it sounds shit. :D

There's Nothing like brainwashed anglicised Welshmen to fight the english fight
for them.

Well done you

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:44 pm

Aramore wrote:My only motive isn't against everyone that speaks the language. It's against the people who get in positions of power because of the language, it's against the extra funding that goes to Welsh Schools because they speak welsh which causes parents to send their kids to those schools because they think they're getting a better education.

Funny how Welsh language schools get less funding per child than English speaking schools then, but don't let the facts get in the way of your bigoted argument.

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:44 pm

Aramore wrote:
taffyapple wrote:
Aramore wrote:
taffyapple wrote:
taffyapple wrote:
Aramore wrote:
I can sing the bloody anthem and the fact you jump down my throat proves exactly what I mean.

You automatically assume that because I don't see any point in learning a language spoken by less than 500,000 people world wide I'm a "lazy fucker" if I was going to learn a language (which I have tried learning one or two) I would choose French, German or Spanish, Languages that actually mean something in the world.

The fact of the matter is the WAG is putting through more and more laws about how companies are required to have equal representatives in companies of Welsh and English speakers, at least in positions that deal with the public. In effect this causes people that don't speak Welsh to become second class citizens as they are much less valuable to employ as most employers would much rather have one person who can speak Welsh and English rather than one Welsh speaker and one English speaker. Especially as at least 99% of all welsh speakers speak both.

Another point is how even with less than 20% of the population speaking Welsh they insist on announcements being made in Welsh before English which causes confusion in places like banks where people who don't understand the language have to wait before going to the open desk causing waiting times to increase.

Its your culture. Its your history.

Millions of English people can 'quote Shakespeake'

What relevance does "have at thee" or "Thou shalt verily fancy thee" or some such shite
have in todays world? NONE. Its English culture, in their eyes its part of what makes England
'England'... cant fault them.

If this annoying language HAD died out years ago... so would your Country's identity.

We all f*cking know that speaking Welsh aint going to get you a job in Harvard or
The World Bank. But DO excuse me for being proud that me and my kids and their
kids will carry my country's language on.

I LOVE that there are kids in parts of Wales that can speak two languages by the
time they are 5 years old. I barely spoke b*stard English until i was about 7 or 8.

But dont think im any more Welsh than the next feller.

Though i do wonder about the motives of Welsh people who despise the language so much

My only motive isn't against everyone that speaks the language. It's against the people who get in positions of power because of the language, it's against the extra funding that goes to Welsh Schools because they speak welsh which causes parents to send their kids to those schools because they think they're getting a better education.

I don't see the point in putting all this money into resurrecting what was a dead language instead of something useful. That money could have gone on improving infrastructure or improving all schools, not just the ones that speak Welsh.

Edit: Also, you may not feel more Welsh because you speak the language but look at the OP at the top of this thread for exactly what I mean. Acting like a superior person just because he was born to a family that taught him Welsh.

Welsh has been given equal status with English in this Country. That does NOT stop
anyone getting a top job. English people are legally entitled to apply, and usually have
to agree to learn some rudimentary Welsh. Whats wrong with that? Would you move
to Bhutan and refuse to speak ANY of their local dialect because "its useless outside
Bhutan?" of course not, you'd have more respect

The difference is Dzongkha is their only language and I assume more than 20% of the population speaks it. If I moved to a country where they all spoke that language I would attempt to learn it too.

In Wales Welsh was borderline extinct until it was dragged up into equal status with English regardless of the fact the majority of the population don't speak the language.

You're saying I'm not any less Welsh even though I don't speak the language yet you go ahead and call me an English person right in your post.

Absolute rubbish. I do not refer to you as English at all.

Borderline extinct?? Now your being ridiculous and far from truthful.

As for Bhutan? there are lots of languages spoken there. If you were in a remote
region where a minority language was spoken. If you were living there, working
there. Would you tell them "f**k you and your dead language, im sticking with
Dzongkha!".... Not unless you were a totally disrespectful clown you wouldnt!
You'd show that language a bit of RESPECT.

In Gwynedd, around 90% of schoolkids can speak the Welsh Language, 75% of
those are fluent in the Language.

The Welsh Language may be 'dead' to you, but because you dont like it, dont be
so arrogant as to suggest centuries of pride in our culture should be just wiped
away because you think its useless.

there ARE many ignorant Welsh speakers who look down their nose at those that
cannot speak their mother tongue. By the same token, there are plenty of ignorant
non-Welsh speakers in Wales who think 700,000 people should give up their language
and speak only English.

Back to Bhutan, and Dzongkha.... Not much use for that language outside of Bhutan...

Do you suggest that they just do away with it? Or is it only Welsh that gets your back
up so much?

Where did you possibly get that 700,000 figure from?

The only official figures I've ever seen is 300,000-400,000 and even the staunchest defender of the language has only ever quoted 500,000 at me. Those are all less than 17% of the population of Wales using a conservative figure of 3 million as the welsh population.

Of that 3 million I'd hazard a guess that 99% of the population speak English and I'd say 90% of Welsh speakers speak English.

Yet with this small proportion of the population the majority of services are forced to be in Welsh. There are dozens of ATMs that I've been to (just me personally) that have actually started up in Welsh offering me the choices of Cymraeg or Saesneg. This makes absolutely no sense as everyone knows that Cardiff is a majority English only speaking city. Also the banks themselves call out the free tellers in Welsh before English. This does not help anyone.[/quote]

First thing I looked at, took ten seconds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_language

The English Establishment have tried to destroy the Welsh Language for 700
years. The language is actually growing. They have failed.

Sad to see that certain Welsh people want to see it dead though.

Same question to you again. Do you think ALL languages that are pretty much only
spoken in their homelands should be forced to die?

Or is it only your own language you despise?

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:45 pm

shinyBlueGlue wrote:What a load of bollox the welsh language is. A complete waste of money and time, added to that it sounds shit. :D

What's it like being a traitor?

Stupid philistine c**t :twisted:

Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:11 pm

CF14-SE14 wrote:
Aramore wrote:My only motive isn't against everyone that speaks the language. It's against the people who get in positions of power because of the language, it's against the extra funding that goes to Welsh Schools because they speak welsh which causes parents to send their kids to those schools because they think they're getting a better education.

Funny how Welsh language schools get less funding per child than English speaking schools then, but don't let the facts get in the way of your bigoted argument.

Lets see these facts if you're going to throw them my way then.

Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:15 pm

taffyapple wrote:First thing I looked at, took ten seconds

Same question to you again. Do you think ALL languages that are pretty much only

I have been saying the whole time about people who speak the language in Wales. Fair enough that's 600,000 but that's still only 20% of the population yet it gets more funding than English does in proportion to its size.

The only reason that it's coming back is as part of political motives to split Wales away from the UK from some small minded nationalists who don't see how weak the welsh economy would be if it was on its own. We produce absolutely nothing here.

I think that any language that is spoken by less than 20% of its own country men should be left to die. It is a pointless waste of resources that could be better placed elsewhere.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:49 pm

CF14-SE14 wrote:

tit

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:51 pm

shinyBlueGlue wrote:
CF14-SE14 wrote:

tit

Nice editing

:lol:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:52 pm

Calm down people. Have a pint or something.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:56 pm

CF14-SE14 wrote:
shinyBlueGlue wrote:
CF14-SE14 wrote:

tit

Nice editing

:lol:

kicked off so had to tone down possibility

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:00 pm

I will get it right in a minute. did not want to get kicked off, so toned down :?

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Aramore wrote:

I have been saying the whole time about people who speak the language in Wales. Fair enough that's 600,000 but that's still only 20% of the population yet it gets more funding than English does in proportion to its size.

The only reason that it's coming back is as part of political motives to split Wales away from the UK from some small minded nationalists who don't see how weak the welsh economy would be if it was on its own. We produce absolutely nothing here.

I think that any language that is spoken by less than 20% of its own country men should be left to die. It is a pointless waste of resources that could be better placed elsewhere.

Again, another attempt at twisting facts. There are close to 30% of the population
with at least a rudimentary knowledge of Welsh in this country. How arrogant of you
to tell 3 in 10 of the population that they are wasting their time. You dont speak it,
you dont want to speak it, so why should anybody else eh? The UNDENIABLE facts are
that the Welsh language is GROWING in Wales, not dying. I dont believe for one
minute you know our anthem in your native tongue :lol: :lol: ... How hypocritical of
you would that be? Were you FORCED to learn it.... perhaps in the same way you are
FORCED to choose Cymraeg at the ATM.... oh, i forgot, you ARENT forced.

The Welsh language will be here long after you and i are long gone. The English have
successfully brainwashed a proportion of our population (divide and rule) most never
fell for it. Most have pride in their Country. Most English settlers have more respect
for Wales than you do. Congrats :clap:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:11 pm

Midfield general wrote:
taffyapple wrote:
Midfield general wrote:The laws around the welsh language is killing off private sector investment in Wales yet many can't see it and we are walking into a communist state with the third rate politicans in the WAG.

give me ONE example of a company pulling out of Wales because of the Welsh Language.

Just one will do

Seems a bit strange seeing as plenty are willing to go bi-lingual with Polish in factories
and shops.

Trying to twist my words again I see Taffy, as I never said pulling out.

With regards to your Polish comment, its not law that all company communication needs to be provided in polish as well as english is it..? It is with Welsh and for small businesses then it carries a large price.

Explain what you mean by "Killing off Public sector Investment in Wales"... Did you perhaps
mean that Companies are loving it?...did you mean Companies are moving in specifically
because of the Welsh language? :lol: :lol:

ONE example of a Company that 'died' (as in killed off) because of the Welsh Language, please???

Where on EARTH did you conjure up that it is LAW that all companies must have bi-lingual
communiques?????? :lol:

Ill not mention your family (crack on if you wish by attempting to call my son, who im
immensely proud of, Elvis)

I'll not mention violence

But you are without doubt the daftest poster on here. You prove yourself clueless time and time
again on Unions, ACAS, you jump down the Clubs throat over disrespecting dead soldiers just
because you 'read it online'....

you say you 'hold down three jobs'

I'd find it staggering if you could manage to hold down a semi-inflated baloon

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:23 pm

taffyapple wrote:
Aramore wrote:

Again, another attempt at twisting facts. There are close to 30% of the population
with at least a rudimentary knowledge of Welsh in this country. How arrogant of you
to tell 3 in 10 of the population that they are wasting their time. You dont speak it,
you dont want to speak it, so why should anybody else eh? The UNDENIABLE facts are
minute you know our anthem in your native tongue :lol: :lol: ... How hypocritical of
you would that be? Were you FORCED to learn it.... perhaps in the same way you are

The Welsh language will be here long after you and i are long gone. The English have
successfully brainwashed a proportion of our population (divide and rule) most never
fell for it. Most have pride in their Country. Most English settlers have more respect

I'm not going to even waste my time with this argument any more. You insist on calling me brainwashed by the English yet you refuse to accept that you've had your head turned by Welsh nationalists trying to use the language as a political ploy to gain independence.

I'm out.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:38 pm

Aramore wrote:
taffyapple wrote:
Aramore wrote:

I'm not going to even waste my time with this argument any more. You insist on calling me brainwashed by the English yet you refuse to accept that you've had your head turned by Welsh nationalists trying to use the language as a political ploy to gain independence.

I'm out.

BOOOOOM!!!

Suddenly Independance is raised??

Equal Status for the Welsh Language has had NO bearing on the increase (or lack of it)
of support for Plaid Cymru.

Check the figures, you love doing that!!

tara then!

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:05 pm

To say that the Welsh language is going to stop investment in Wales is a load of crap, Its like saying no one will invest in China cos they speak Chinese.
Every country I know ask you , Your Welsh ? O please say something in Welsh its sounds lovely ! The only people who think the the other way is of course the english and people like MG on here and other plastic Welshmen. And for Welsh fans of a Welsh club who cant even sing one Welsh song in a game you should hang your head in shame !
It shows just how bloody lazy you are that you cant even sing the words to Men of Harlech its a bloody disgrace that you just sing
LAA LAA LAA LAA LAA LAA LAA LAA Fking disgrace. :twisted:

Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:48 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:To say that the Welsh language is going to stop investment in Wales is a load of crap, Its like saying no one will invest in China cos they speak Chinese.
Every country I know ask you , Your Welsh ? O please say something in Welsh its sounds lovely ! The only people who think the the other way is of course the english and people like MG on here and other plastic Welshmen. And for Welsh fans of a Welsh club who cant even sing one Welsh song in a game you should hang your head in shame !
It shows just how bloody lazy you are that you cant even sing the words to Men of Harlech its a bloody disgrace that you just sing

Mate china is a billion strong and soon to be the world leading economy. What will speaking Welsh do for business. in fact it takes money away from the welsh economy. i hate and detest the language. im more welsh than you cause i speak welsh and watch rugby -- f*cking bollox

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:01 pm

shinyBlueGlue wrote:
welshcitydragon wrote:To say that the Welsh language is going to stop investment in Wales is a load of crap, Its like saying no one will invest in China cos they speak Chinese.

Mate china is a billion strong and soon to be the world leading economy. What will speaking Welsh do for business. in fact it takes money away from the welsh economy. i hate and detest the language. im more welsh than you cause i speak welsh and watch rugby -- f*cking bollox

It's part of your countries culture and history, if you hate it, then in my opinion you hate your country :evil:

It's one of the only things that keeps us apart from the English these days, if you want to lose your identity, go ahead, but don't drag the rest of us with you.

I speak Welsh, have an English born mother, live in South London and most of my mates don't speak Welsh.
I'm still proud of the way it has survived even though successive English governments (and Welsh puppets) have tried to systematically destroy it. We should cherrish and be proud of the fact that we've managed what many many other countries have failed to do.

I have never rammed my Welsh speaking down anyones throat, but I will fight to keep it alive.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:06 pm

CF14-SE14 wrote:
shinyBlueGlue wrote:

It's part of your countries culture and history, if you hate it, then in my opinion you hate your country :evil:

It's one of the only things that keeps us apart from the English these days, if you want to lose your identity, go ahead, but don't drag the rest of us with you.

I speak Welsh, have an English born mother, live in South London and most of my mates don't speak Welsh.
I'm still proud of the way it has survived even though successive English governments (and Welsh puppets) have tried to systematically destroy it. We should cherrish and be proud of the fact that we've managed what many many other countries have failed to do.

I have never rammed my Welsh speaking down anyones throat, but I will fight to keep it alive.

Fair comment. but i am Cardiff born and Bred and Cardiff dont speak welsh. so my culture does not include the welsh language..

just cant see the point in it. you say its the only thing that keeps us apart from the English, well the scottish and irish dont spean their own language on a wide scale either ?

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:10 pm

And to add insult to injury... 90% of the world never heard of Wales, so how they have heard of the welsh language ? i had a friend who befriended someone from New York, they said i just had friends who were on holiday in London and visited Wales, is Wales a small or big City.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:14 pm

shinyBlueGlue wrote:Mate china is a billion strong and soon to be the world leading economy. What will speaking Welsh do for business. in fact it takes money away from the welsh economy. i hate and detest the language. im more welsh than you cause i speak welsh and watch rugby -- f*cking bollox

If it adds anything, here's my humble opinion.
I guess you can say with certainty that the Welsh language doesn't have an immediate positive effect on international business affairs for Welsh corporations. But on the other hand: Could you give me one good reason the Welsh language would harm the Welsh economy? I can't think of any.

I'm Dutch and like most people in continental Europe I admire you Welsh people. Not only because you manage to keep your own identity within the UK, but also because the Welsh language is still being cherished by some of you people. It's rubbish to say one person is better than another because of the languages they speak, but it's also absolute nonsense to say that the Welsh language in any way harms the Welsh economy.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:15 pm

And although I'm not Welsh, I enjoyed the song and the video very much. Sorry for that, mate.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:26 pm

shinyBlueGlue wrote:And to add insult to injury... 90% of the world never heard of Wales, so how they have heard of the welsh language ? i had a friend who befriended someone from New York, they said i just had friends who were on holiday in London and visited Wales, is Wales a small or big City.

I travel a lot and I know what you're saying. It pisses me right off but I honestly feel that it would be even worse if we lost our own language.

Regarding Cardiff being not Welsh speaking, you're right, I'm also Cardiff born and bred and hardly spoke Welsh to any mates back home, on the other hand I'd love it if one day it was more widely spoken in the diff. I'd say it was a more positive influence than hearing our streets filled with Urdu and Polish anyway.

You mentioned Ireland and Scotland and to be fair you have a point. Two things I will say though is they are both making strides in bringing back their languages especially Ireland which has Gaelic schools cropping up every year. Secondly both of those countries have been far less under the shadow of England. They have had centuries more of freedom and respect. The Union was England, Scotland and Ireland - Wales wasn't even bothered to be included as we were seen as part of England. Far more of their cultures have survived due to having far more freedom, which makes the Welsh language that bit more important.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:27 pm

Jordy wrote:
shinyBlueGlue wrote:Mate china is a billion strong and soon to be the world leading economy. What will speaking Welsh do for business. in fact it takes money away from the welsh economy. i hate and detest the language. im more welsh than you cause i speak welsh and watch rugby -- f*cking bollox

If it adds anything, here's my humble opinion.
I guess you can say with certainty that the Welsh language doesn't have an immediate positive effect on international business affairs for Welsh corporations. But on the other hand: Could you give me one good reason the Welsh language would harm the Welsh economy? I can't think of any.

I'm Dutch and like most people in continental Europe I admire you Welsh people. Not only because you manage to keep your own identity within the UK, but also because the Welsh language is still being cherished by some of you people. It's rubbish to say one person is better than another because of the languages they speak, but it's also absolute nonsense to say that the Welsh language in any way harms the Welsh economy.

Well said :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:39 pm

shinyBlueGlue wrote:
CF14-SE14 wrote:
shinyBlueGlue wrote:

Fair comment. but i am Cardiff born and Bred and Cardiff dont speak welsh. so my culture does not include the welsh language..

just cant see the point in it. you say its the only thing that keeps us apart from the English, well the scottish and irish dont spean their own language on a wide scale either ?

Ysgol Bro Eirwg, Llanrumney. Welsh medium junior school. Waiting list is about
SIX YEARS LONG to get in it.

Your 'culture' i'm assuming includes being a proud Welshman? without the Welsh
Language, and activists. Wales would have become just another part of England
many years ago. People like yourself would have actually helped kill the language
off, and helped the English kill your country off. Sad but true.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:44 pm

shinyBlueGlue wrote:And to add insult to injury... 90% of the world never heard of Wales, so how they have heard of the welsh language ? i had a friend who befriended someone from New York, they said i just had friends who were on holiday in London and visited Wales, is Wales a small or big City.

If your friends in England, Scotland, America wherever, ever ask you are you
Welsh or English, what do you say?

Cos if your proud to be Welsh, there must be something about this country you love
passionately, something that makes you say "yeh, thats me!, thats MY Wales"

How hypocritical of you to say that WE arent allowed to be proud of the language,
because its shit.

How stupid

Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:02 pm

taffyapple wrote:

Cos if your proud to be Welsh, there must be something about this country you love

How hypocritical of you to say that WE arent allowed to be proud of the language,
because its shit.

How stupid

Be as proud as you like. but, leave me out of it. Wales to me, is the amazing beauty and beaches. i would put our coal mining past way before the language we speak.

I feel proud when a Welsh person makes it when we are only 3 mil strong. we can hold our own in a lot of sports and Cardiff is becoming a Capital city to be proud of.

We have great actors and singers, but again the welsh language brings nothing.

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:42 pm

shinyBlueGlue wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

because its shit.

How stupid

Be as proud as you like. but, leave me out of it. Wales to me, is the amazing beauty and beaches. i would put our coal mining past way before the language we speak.

I feel proud when a Welsh person makes it when we are only 3 mil strong. we can hold our own in a lot of sports and Cardiff is becoming a Capital city to be proud of.

We have great actors and singers, but again the welsh language brings nothing.

The Welsh Language is THE reason Wales has kept her own identity after 600 years of
English. We are a very small country with England right along our border, and London has
always been pretty much a 'stones throw' away... They DETESTED that Wales refused to
bow down, they abhorred the fact that Wales bankrupted TWO English Kings because they
were forced to build a ridiculous amount of castles to stop the Welsh attacking. The Welsh
back then did not speak English, and would not have it forced down their throats. Its the
reason WE were so stubborn.

you crack on feller. But it wasnt coal mines or pretty beaches that kept Wales Welsh!

It dont matter that the majority of Welsh people now have been ANGLICISED, and the
English managed to get most people to speak THEIR language, even that hasnt taken
away our identity.

But you win.

Its pretty beaches and lumps of coal that have thwarted the English for hundreds of years

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:45 pm

Every where a Welshman goes around the world ,he is always ask to speak Welsh and when you do the people say, O its sound a lovely language,

Now every where an englishman goes around the world they ask them not to speak ! cos its its always full of Bullshit ! :lol: :lol: