Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

January Transfer Window – Who Malky should target

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Carl's informed us that Malky's currently seeking new strikers and wingers for the club. Here's just a few I think would be suitable.

You can agree or disagree, of course. Would love to know some other suggestions too! :ayatollah:

Name: Michael Kightly
Position: Winger
Club: Wolves (currently at Watford on one month loan)

If it wasn’t for an ankle operation in the early stages of Wolves’ 2009-10 Premier League campaign, Michael Kightly would probably be competing with Matt Jarvis and Stephen Hunt for a place in Mick McCarthy’s first-team squad right now. He has however found himself at Watford, on a month-long loan in a bid for match fitness.

A tricky, goal-scoring winger, Kightly would be an asset to the City squad and competition for Craig Conway. I would be very surprised if Wolves let him go permanently, but a six-month deal seems plausible.

Name: Jordan Rhodes
Position: Striker
Club: Huddersfield Town

If you follow The Football League, you know about Jordan Rhodes. The centre-forward has managed to score 13 times in his first 12 games in all competitions this season. 11 of those have come in League One, giving Huddersfield hope as they look to gain promotion.

At 6ft. 1 he’s got some height, which is what we need with Rudy a little prone to injury and Parkin, unfortunately, as useless as Fernando Torres right now. He also made his Scotland debut on the weekend, joining Kenny Miller, Don Cowie and Craig Conway on the pitch against Cyprus.

Fulham and Newcastle are thought to be interested, but having player links could help Malky out should he show interest in Rhodes.

Name: Gai Assulin
Club: Man City

I’ve been aware of this lad for a while now. Signed to Barcelona’s youth academy as a 12 year-old, graduating to the Spanish giant’s B team, being offered a contract with an incredible buy-out clause for his age and making his senior international debut at the age of 16, Israel had its new star in the form of Gai Assulin.

It is however hard to think that, for one reason or another Assulin was released from his Barcelona duties and despite a positive move to Man City, has found himself caged in The Blues’ reserve team.

I’ve seen him a couple of times in action, and he’s a dangerous player who would no doubt tear defenders apart in the Championship. It’s time for him to play in front of a real crowd, and I would love to see him play in the blue of Cardiff City.

Name: Bradley Wright-Phillips
Position: Striker/Winger
Club: Charlton Athletic

I don’t particularly like Bradley Wright-Phillips due to the fact that both he and Swansea’s Nathan Dyer decided to steal a few things from the bags of bar staff at a nightclub in Portsmouth (Dyer was charged, BWP got off despite CCTV evidence) during their time at Southampton, but you cannot doubt his scoring ability at the moment.

So far this season he’s scored 13 in 16 for Charlton, helping his team hit top of League One, and I was impressed when watching him for Plymouth Argyle last season.

Whether BWP could take the step up to The Championship is unknown, but it could be something worth risking – as long as he leaves his shoddy ego where it is.

Name: Giovani dos Santos
Position: Winger/Striker
Club: Spurs

Not many people can say they’ve scored a hat-trick for Barcelona, but I’m sure that’s something floating in the mind of Giovani dos Santos each and every day.

The Mexican was with the Spanish giants from 2002 (youth academy) to 2008 (senior team), before leaving for Tottenham in a surprisingly low £4.7m deal following a hat-trick against Real Murcia.

At the time I thought then-Spurs manager Juande Ramos had, potentially, sorted the signing of the decade. Gio did however find himself plummet down the pecking order when Harry Redknapp arrived to save the North London club. He’s since had superb loan spells at Ipswich, Galatasaray and Racing Santander, and now wishes to leave Spurs in January.

Still young with 53 appearances for Mexico (inc. World Cup duties), dos Santos is one of the players I would usually note as an impossible signing for City. But, as he’s looking for first-team football and even came down to Championship level to score 4 in 8 for Ipswich, I still hold a little hope of one day seeing his name on the back of a Bluebirds shirt.

Name: Giles Barnes
Club: Doncaster Rovers

There was a point when Giles Barnes was expected to become one of England’s best. Bursting onto the scene with Derby at the age of 17, the winger tore defences apart – even Cardiff’s at times. He helped The Rams gain promotion to the Premier League, and was expected to eventually move to a better club, but a string of bad injuries prevented that happening.

He now plays for Doncaster following his release from West Brom last season, and his injury woes seem to be behind him. He was one of the only players for Doncaster who impressed during their visit to the Cardiff City Stadium in September.

Malky’s looking for wingers and Barnes could be the cheapest and, potentially, the best option. If City can turn a player like Bothroyd into an England international, they can take Barnes even further.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: January Transfer Window – Who Malky should target

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:37 pm

I'd say Bilel Mohshni, Southend. I heard great things about him and saw him play once. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:38 pm

I will be very very interested in how many players we actually sign. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:45 pm

I 100% agree with all of the players you've listed.

I'd be interested in Billy Sharp as well though, he's got a goal every other game for Doncaster and with the service the city have I'm sure he could get even more here.

And the way he played even after the death of his son shows that he is absolutely 100% committed to playing his best at all times, even though it's a situation absolutely no one would have blamed him for not playing in.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:46 pm

adz-a32 wrote:I'd say Bilel Mohshni, Southend. I heard great things about him and saw him play once. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Hadn't heard too much of Mohshni, but his Southend record's pretty good. Not sure whether it's true, but his Wiki page says he can play as a forward or centre-back, which you don't see too often.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:47 pm

Kightly - yes simply because Malky can get him playing to his best, a mini Scott Sinclair

Rhodes - I'd poo myself, said we should sign him last January, potential, would love him here.

Assulin - bit ambitious but yes definately

BWP - not good enough sorry, if we mak it to the Prem, a big IF , he wouldn't be good enough.

Gio - Yes definately unbelievable player

Barnes - NO WAY he's crap.

The ultimate target should be a speedy winger, 2 players with their contracts expriing soon are Jimmy Kebe and Marvin Sordell, get them in now.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:50 pm

CCFC 24 wrote:Kightly - yes simply because Malky can get him playing to his best, a mini Scott Sinclair

Rhodes - I'd poo myself, said we should sign him last January, potential, would love him here.

BWP - not good enough sorry, if we mak it to the Prem, a big IF , he wouldn't be good enough.

The ultimate target should be a speedy winger, 2 players with their contracts expriing soon are Jimmy Kebe and Marvin Sordell, get them in now.

I was thinking of putting Kebe in, but was unaware that his contract is up soon and thought there's no chance of him leaving Reading. Outstanding player, who I always worry about when he goes up against out left-backs. As for Sordell, I would think he's looking for something in the PL...

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:54 pm

Jollffe wrote:
adz-a32 wrote:I'd say Bilel Mohshni, Southend. I heard great things about him and saw him play once. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Hadn't heard too much of Mohshni, but his Southend record's pretty good. Not sure whether it's true, but his Wiki page says he can play as a forward or centre-back, which you don't see too often.

I think so. My mate told me about him and I've seen him once. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Jollffe wrote:
CCFC 24 wrote:Kightly - yes simply because Malky can get him playing to his best, a mini Scott Sinclair

I was thinking of putting Kebe in, but was unaware that his contract is up soon and thought there's no chance of him leaving Reading. Outstanding player, who I always worry about when he goes up against out left-backs. As for Sordell, I would think he's looking for something in the PL...

Watch this space ;)

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:06 pm

ihatealiens wrote:
Jollffe wrote:

Watch this space ;)

I'm hoping you know something I don't! :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:32 pm

What about Ameobi the younger one at Newcastle?

And if theres any names from lower league dont be afraid to sent it forward as Players like Sinclair for Peterbrough is a brilliant player and could have been better here and Adam Le Fondre at Reading not bad and what about Holt and Morrison! :ayatollah:

Sam Vokes please! :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:05 pm

Aramore wrote:I 100% agree with all of the players you've listed.

I'd be interested in Billy Sharp as well though, he's got a goal every other game for Doncaster and with the service the city have I'm sure he could get even more here.

And the way he played even after the death of his son shows that he is absolutely 100% committed to playing his best at all times, even though it's a situation absolutely no one would have blamed him for not playing in.

There is only one way Billy Sharp is going ( imo ) - This has been doing the rounds of late...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/2 ... -s-2m-Bill

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfe ... 21982.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... Billy.html

Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:50 pm

Ryo Miyachi - Arsenal kid, HIGHLY rated, faster than Theo Walcott but with the skill on pires/petit..... Defo worth a go

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:15 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
Aramore wrote:I 100% agree with all of the players you've listed.

There is only one way Billy Sharp is going ( imo ) - This has been doing the rounds of late...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/2 ... -s-2m-Bill

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfe ... 21982.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... Billy.html

I know it's wishful thinking on my part but just because Jewell keeps mouthing off about how much he wants to sign him doesn't mean Malky doesn't want to sign him. He's more the sort of manager that keeps quiet about his transfer targets until they're in the club. Which to be fair is how all managers should act.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Agree with your thoughts Aramore :ayatollah: But do you think MM will get that kind of money to sign Billy Sharpe :?:

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:35 pm

Seems to me that the Malaysians would back Malky if he thought it was a really important signing. But then that would probably be his only signing which leads to the question of one absolutely quality player or a few lesser players but more squad depth.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:07 pm

DARCY BLAKE BACK ON LOAN FROM MAN UTD WHEN WE SELL HIM ! :lol:

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:13 pm

Jollffe wrote:

I asked my friend who supports Southend and he said that Mohshni is a good player who can play attack or defense. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:22 am

Jordan Rhodes would have been my number 1 target,but his form of late has put up his value :(

A striker and a winger is what we need,has been posted on here of late...

Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:27 am

If we could get two perm signings in those positions i would be over the moon. Unless they are really needed because of injuries id rather not bother with loans tbh, expensive and short term. Like to see MM get rid of some dead wood as well :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:13 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Jordan Rhodes would have been my number 1 target,but his form of late has put up his value :(

Basically we need him to get injured so everyone forgets about him so Malky can sign him just before he's back on full fitness ala Ben Turner.

Not that I'm wishing injuries on anyone.

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:27 pm

I Was not to fussed on this guy below,but came on for Wales last week and took his goals well...
Still not sure but looks like he will ba allowed to go out on loan...

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfe ... 31696.html