Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Minimum price for booze being introduced in Scotland

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:11 pm

They think that will stop the drinking culture :roll:

People will just nick booze from Supermarkets.

Its much easier to steal now they dont have bags anyway.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:19 pm

Midfield general wrote:you watch Wales follow suit because they know how much can be earned from it.

Once again it will be another tax from WAG :evil:

The UK has a problem with drinking which has been made even worse by the ready availability of cheap alcohol. Whilst there is a general UK-wide issue, Scotland has particularly severe drink-related problems to overcome. How would you address this? In the context of the problem, setting minimum prices doesn't look so silly.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:33 pm

Uccello Azzurro wrote:
Midfield general wrote:you watch Wales follow suit because they know how much can be earned from it.

The UK has a problem with drinking which has been made even worse by the ready availability of cheap alcohol. Whilst there is a general UK-wide issue, Scotland has particularly severe drink-related problems to overcome. How would you address this? In the context of the problem, setting minimum prices doesn't look so silly.

I don't believe we have anymore drink related problems up here than the rest of the UK does to be honest.

It's a silly idea and will do nothing to halt the drinking culture. People who want a drink will get a drink. If that means not paying a bill or whatever, then they will do it. The country is a mess financially, but people can always find money to have a little bevvy, that's a fact!

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:51 pm

PtB wrote:
Uccello Azzurro wrote:

I don't believe we have anymore drink related problems up here than the rest of the UK does to be honest.

It's a silly idea and will do nothing to halt the drinking culture. People who want a drink will get a drink. If that means not paying a bill or whatever, then they will do it. The country is a mess financially, but people can always find money to have a little bevvy, that's a fact!

FACT FACT and more FACT

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Dont know if anyone has caught Jason Mohammeds show on lunchtime but its been an absolute class debate on this subject.

Tony, the old age pensioner, from Cardiff, who has drank all his life, has just ripped Jaaaaase and the do gooders to absolute shreads.

Tony :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:37 pm

All governments spend most of their time thinking up new ways of taxing us.

They then justify it by telling us it's for our own good. "We don't want to tax you but it will be good for: "you"/"the country"/"the environment" (delete as appropriate)" rubbish.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:50 pm

Midfield general wrote:
Berwyn wrote:All LEFT WINGgovernments spend most of their time thinking up new ways of taxing us.

They then justify it by telling us it's for our own good. "We don't want to tax you but it will be good for: "you"/"the country"/"the environment" (delete as appropriate)" rubbish.

You missed a couple of words out

I think you'll find all flavours of politician do the same thing. Most of my life has been under tory governemnts with a tory labour pm inbetween so are you saying that during that time they have never raised taxes any anything that's "bad" for us?

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:08 pm

Midfield general wrote:
Berwyn wrote:
Midfield general wrote:
Berwyn wrote:All LEFT WINGgovernments spend most of their time thinking up new ways of taxing us.

I think you'll find all flavours of politician do the same thing. Most of my life has been under tory governemnts with a tory labour pm inbetween so are you saying that during that time they have never raised taxes any anything that's "bad" for us?

During the 13 years were Labour has been in power the tax amount from each of us has shot up FACT.

Booze, fuel, fags, air tax, so-called green taxes, council tax have all shot up, need I go on..?

Start taking some Personal Responsibility, rather than blame things on others

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:17 pm

It could very well happen with this Welsh assembly. They got a massive majority to make there own rules up. I said at the time given them powers would be disastrous but there you go.
So it will be booze cruises to England where you would not have to pay for your bags to carry them out :lol:

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:27 pm

Midfield general wrote:

The Fuel Price Escalator was introduced by the Conservative Government in 1993. This led to fuel prices rises at rates above inflation - initially 3% and later 5%. In 1993, the UK was one of the cheaper countries for fuel. By 2000, it was the most expensive country for fuel in the EU.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:42 pm

PtB wrote:
Uccello Azzurro wrote:

I have lived in a number of countries in the EU over several years, and continue to do so. I had reason, or should I say the misfortune, to be in Cardiff city centre on Friday evening. Trust me, the UK (and Wales) has a major problem with drink. Going toe to toe with some drunk in Cardiff was not what I had in my mind when I agreed to drive into town and pick up my disabled father at around 10:15pm. The Police thought little of it. In Italy, the Carabinieri would have chucked the toe rag in the back of the van and given him a bloody good hiding. Some zero tolerance is long overdue. The time for carrots is over. Our reputation with the booze is a stain on our society. Clearly British people are either too blind or too drunk to care.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Uccello Azzurro wrote:
PtB wrote:
Uccello Azzurro wrote:

I have lived in a number of countries in the EU over several years, and continue to do so. I had reason, or should I say the misfortune, to be in Cardiff city centre on Friday evening. Trust me, the UK (and Wales) has a major problem with drink. Going toe to toe with some drunk in Cardiff was not what I had in my mind when I agreed to drive into town and pick up my disabled father at around 10:15pm. The Police thought little of it. In Italy, the Carabinieri would have chucked the toe rag in the back of the van and given him a bloody good hiding. Some zero tolerance is long overdue. The time for carrots is over. Our reputation with the booze is a stain on our society. Clearly British people are either too blind or too drunk to care.

I know you ought to witness one of our Forum piss ups. And Blind Drunk even !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Uccello Azzurro wrote:
PtB wrote:
Uccello Azzurro wrote:

I know you ought to witness one of our Forum piss ups. And Blind Drunk even !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Worthy of a drink therapy session with Carabinieri I am sure! :lol:

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:06 pm

So how do you all feel about 10 and 12 yr olds ending up in casualty on a regular basis for being pissed up (what a drain on tax payers money) FACT

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:23 pm

bluecyw wrote:So how do you all feel about 10 and 12 yr olds ending up in casualty on a regular basis for being pissed up (what a drain on tax payers money) FACT

I feel they need to learn how to handle their drink!

Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:46 am

Midfield general wrote:
Uccello Azzurro wrote:
Midfield general wrote:

The Fuel Price Escalator was introduced by the Conservative Government in 1993. This led to fuel prices rises at rates above inflation - initially 3% and later 5%. In 1993, the UK was one of the cheaper countries for fuel. By 2000, it was the most expensive country for fuel in the EU.

Sorry but didn't Blair come to power in 1997..? So you as you say by 2000 when I Labour government was in control for 3 years then it was the most expensive country for fuel in the EU

The FPE was introduced by the Tories. Labour and the Conservatives are as bad as each other.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:30 am

I don't drink that much any more to be honest. I still enjoy a pint before the odd Cardiff game and at skittles on a Friday night but I don't binge any more. I think there is definitely a problem with drinking in Britain. I wouldn't have a problem with a minimum price on alcohol if it was being done with the best intentions but let's be honest, it's just an excuse to get some extra tax in!

I don't think parents can be entirely blamed for kids drinking alcohol. I mean, my parents were great parents but I still had the odd boozey session underage. It's part of life and growing up. There's not enough self responsibility these days. Always someone else to blame. It's pathetic.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:13 am

I can see this policy being roled out across the UK. Another sucessful bit of lobying by the supermarkets.