Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Standing at football isn't actually illegal

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:39 pm

I've noticed a few of the more 'emotionally sombre' members of the forum use the refrain during debates that it is ILLEGAL to stand during a football match.

Just to clarify, it is against ground regulations to stand - that does'nt mean that no one can stand, just that it is against regulations.

Re: Standing at football isn't actually illegal

Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:52 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:I've noticed a few of the more 'emotionally sombre' members of the forum use the refrain during debates that it is ILLEGAL to stand during a football match.

Just to clarify, it is against ground regulations to stand - that does'nt mean that no one can stand, just that it is against regulations.

therefor its illegal against regulations make it illegal

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:09 pm

pensionerbluebird wrote:therefor its illegal against regulations make it illegal

I am pretty sure it isn't illegal to go against ground regs.
It may well get your thrown out, but as the "offence" would be against the regulations, and not against anything said in law, then it is not illegal.
Could be wrong though.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:52 pm

pensionerbluebird wrote:
tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:I've noticed a few of the more 'emotionally sombre' members of the forum use the refrain during debates that it is ILLEGAL to stand during a football match.

therefor its illegal against regulations make it illegal

What, so some private members clubs the adopt silly policies such as 'no women' mean that it is against the law to be a woman?

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:30 pm

WelshBluebird wrote:
pensionerbluebird wrote:therefor its illegal against regulations make it illegal

I am pretty sure it isn't illegal to go against ground regs.
It may well get your thrown out, but as the "offence" would be against the regulations, and not against anything said in law, then it is not illegal.
Could be wrong though.

No it is not illegal. You will NEVER be arrested for standing at a game althought you could be ejected. However, abusive behaviour etc when being ejected could result in arrest if the police are called and are half-arsed!!

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:05 am

no not illegal but the safety advisory group will make your clubs league and cup games played behind closed doors on grounds of spectator safety for persistent standing

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:33 am

Either way, it needs to be addressed...its time for change. We either add some REAL consistency across the nation towards sitting only, which will oust the shouts of discrimination, which lets face it...it was at Leeds and many games before. Clubs may also take a note of other clubs (including Cardiff) and have 1 official standing stand. Even better, follow FC United of Manchester and particularly B. Dortmund, who have a huge all standing stadium, certain areas have safe seating in place. At the moment the law is being abused and as you saw at EL, it is being contradicted and as a result confused as the majority of home fans stood freely. WE NEED A CLEAR BLUE LINE!

Football seems to be terminally ill over the past few years and fans finding more excuses not to go to games. I read earlier that fans are treated as customers up until the point they pay for their ticket....anywhere else in any other circumstances would that business fall on its arse if they treated customers like many a club do. They rely on our supposedly 'ever lasting' loyalty...well loyalty can only go so far. I cannot accept a steward telling me to sit when there is no other real reason apparent other than its 'the rules'. Let me decide what I fancy doing, If my fellow paying customers wish for me to sit then I shall take more notice as I respect that they too have paid to view...but they never do because we all want the same.