Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Had a quick wonder around Bristol yesterday and...

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:41 am

Midfield general wrote:I didn't realise that the place had so much to offer business wise. I was shocked at the amount of financial companies who base themselves there and like their airport is streets ahead of Cardiff.

Its not until you walk around a different place during a relaxing day that you do worry about what is really on offer business wise in Wales' capital.

As Ive said before with WAG employer guidelines and seven bridge tolls it is killing off the private sector in Wales.

this topic is exactly why a section for non football related posts is needed

to stop people coming onto the site, quickly scanning the topics to see if theres anything interesting related to football, and then leaving straight away after being bored out of their mind by topics like this

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:49 am

Surely you'd be much happier moving out of Wales and anything to do with it.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:54 am

Whoever runs the airport needs shooting.

Falling out with Ryaniar over a poxy few quid was ridiculous.

Ryanair is the air equivilant of the second seven crossing and some daft cnut decided to close it down. :old:

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:58 am

Midfield general wrote:I didn't realise that the place had so much to offer business wise. I was shocked at the amount of financial companies who base themselves there and like their airport is streets ahead of Cardiff.

Its not until you walk around a different place during a relaxing day that you do worry about what is really on offer business wise in Wales' capital.

As Ive said before with WAG employer guidelines and seven bridge tolls it is killing off the private sector in Wales.

It is a much bigger city than Cardiff thougyh and is also closer to London.
Doesn't take rocket science to realise why it has more businesses located there. It has always historically been that way and will take a lot more than a better airport and toll free bridge to change things. Both of which are needed anyway.
I'm still disgusted with the way the bridge was funded anyway, it is now pure profit for that French company. That was a ridiculous deal.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:05 pm

Bristol Airport is tiny, all cramped. Ive flown from there many times, its smaller than Cardiff. Birmingham is where I fly from now.

Also, as far as retail goes, Cardiff kills Bristol.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:25 pm

Midfield general wrote:
polo wrote:Bristol Airport is tiny, all cramped. Ive flown from there many times, its smaller than Cardiff. Birmingham is where I fly from now.

Cardiff airport is the most expensive airport in the UK for airlines with regards to landing fees which has constantly pushed trade to Bristol airport.

Fully agree with you with regards to retail but Capital 2 was a reaction by Cardiff against Bristol setting up their newest shopping area within the city centre.

The port of Avonmouth is HUGE for trade and wonder why Wales hasn't got a similar size port. Newport, Cardiff and Barry ports are far lesser even put together compared to Avonmouth.

Cabot Circus is a shithole compared to C2. No comparison.

Also, for eateries, bars.etc Bristol is way behind Cardiff.

I think as a city Cardiff is streets ahead of Bristol.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:27 pm

Midfield general wrote:
RichardBluebird wrote:Surely you'd be much happier moving out of Wales and anything to do with it.

Done it before so you never know. However I still worry about the future for my fellow countrymen and the amount of private money coming in to the football club when just 40+ miles away there is such a difference between two cities.

You sound just like another ex poster, he taught you well fair play.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:28 pm

polo wrote:Bristol Airport is tiny, all cramped. Ive flown from there many times, its smaller than Cardiff. Birmingham is where I fly from now.

That was true 15 years ago. Back then Bristol Airport was like a small operation in a famers field. Now though it's way better than Cardiff. Everything from parking is way better. In Bristol you've got the Silver parknig where you drive up and get a bus to the front of the airport. In Cardiff you have to drive through winding country lanes before parking up in a pub car park. Yes they are nice enough to drop you off in their mini bus but the service is way lower.

I can see Cardiff airport closing down soon, it's been getting worse and worse whilst down the road in Bristol they've been gradually getting better.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:43 pm

I noticed this in the summer holidays when i went to Bath the amount of business oppitunuty there was staggering thethings we have here in Cardiff that we expect to be there were not in bath ?

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:05 pm

Berwyn wrote:

That was true 15 years ago. Back then Bristol Airport was like a small operation in a famers field. Now though it's way better than Cardiff. Everything from parking is way better. In Bristol you've got the Silver parknig where you drive up and get a bus to the front of the airport. In Cardiff you have to drive through winding country lanes before parking up in a pub car park. Yes they are nice enough to drop you off in their mini bus but the service is way lower.

I can see Cardiff airport closing down soon, it's been getting worse and worse whilst down the road in Bristol they've been gradually getting better.

It was true 2 years ago when I flew from there! If you are leaving from one of the departure gates by the retail part of the airport its a disaster.

The drives are almost identical too IMO.

Ive started flying from Birmingham and they are a million miles ahead of Bristol and Cardiff.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:20 pm

Midfield general wrote:
RichardBluebird wrote:
Midfield general wrote:
RichardBluebird wrote:Surely you'd be much happier moving out of Wales and anything to do with it.

Done it before so you never know. However I still worry about the future for my fellow countrymen and the amount of private money coming in to the football club when just 40+ miles away there is such a difference between two cities.

You sound just like another ex poster, he taught you well fair play.

The truth can still get out no matter who is banned :ayatollah:

Like I said, he trained you well.

Nodding dogs springs to mind, will you be jumping ship again.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:47 pm

Until the WAG sort out the motorway aroundt Newport then Cardiff will struggle to compete with Bristol. The toll bridge cripples South Wales and really needs to be looked at, but the big problem is when that stupid shitting Bryngals tunnel is closed... game over.
Shopping in StD2 is prob better than Cabot Circus but both are pretty decent. Aztec West pisses on Sarn Park though!
The link to Cardiff airport is appalling but Bristol airport road isnt much better.

Canal side it decent enough in Bristol for pubs etc but not as good as the Bay, and St Marys is way better than Corn St. Well IMO anyway.

The people in Bristol are funny f*ckers though and I dont just mean the wurzel footbal fans.
aaaRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

PS I dont mind posts like this, they dont all have to be about football IMO.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:11 pm

Midfield general wrote:

for fecks sake :roll: it's a football forum and every city is different YAWN :old:

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:20 pm

I've been working on the outskirts of Bristol for almost 5 years now, and got to know the city quite well, I've had some good nights out over there with colleagues and find it an interesting city, but I hate paying the bridge toll.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:38 pm

I love bristol been here 8 years came over for a 6 month contract and never went back to the valleys,

its a great place to live, i found the people very friendly when i first moved here with good banter,

its also good for me as i enjoy coming back to cardiff even more (i do miss it)

i dont think i will ever move back to wales, as much as i miss it, bristol is home for me...

great place for a piss up lads and the bristol girls love the welsh accent!!!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:42 pm

Berwyn wrote:

cardiff got airparks which is exactly the same as the silver parking at bristol,think its actually same company,but agree with the topic cardiff airport is shockingly shit