Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:49 am

I thought The Specials were brilliant last night

Re: The Specials

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:52 am

Johnny Rythmn wrote:
rhondda 1015 wrote:
bluebirdbaz wrote:
rhondda 1015 wrote:
Johnny Rythmn wrote:Seen them 30 years ago.

I think it would be like riding some bird today that you rode when you were both teenagers.

It just wouldn't be as good and that's the reason I don't want to see the Stone Roses again, who were shite live anyway.

couldn't agree more,saw them supporting the Clash,they were piss-poor that night,then a year or so later on the 2 tone tour top rank nov 79,that was a great night,i'd rather keeep the memories...

i was at the 2 tone tour, the selecta, and i am not sure if the beat were there

Madness were the other band on the 2 tone tour...

Plus that all girl band...can't remember their name

nah,they didn't play the original 2 tone tour at top rank nov 1979 ,it was specials/madness/selecter...

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:56 am

rhondda 1015 wrote:
Johnny Rythmn wrote:
rhondda 1015 wrote:
bluebirdbaz wrote:
rhondda 1015 wrote:
Johnny Rythmn wrote:Seen them 30 years ago.

I think it would be like riding some bird today that you rode when you were both teenagers.

It just wouldn't be as good and that's the reason I don't want to see the Stone Roses again, who were shite live anyway.

couldn't agree more,saw them supporting the Clash,they were piss-poor that night,then a year or so later on the 2 tone tour top rank nov 79,that was a great night,i'd rather keeep the memories...

i was at the 2 tone tour, the selecta, and i am not sure if the beat were there

Madness were the other band on the 2 tone tour...

Plus that all girl band...can't remember their name

nah,they didn't play the original 2 tone tour at top rank nov 1979 ,it was specials/madness/selecter...

They did, my sister was there. I remember her telling me - and she bought their single "Do Rocksteady" not long after.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:57 am

Billy Hunt. wrote:I thought The Specials were brilliant last night

Were they as good as they were at the 2009 gig?

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:27 am

November 7th, 1979: CARDIFF, WALES: Top Rank

Upon their return from the BBC studios in London, Madness (and The Specials, who also appeared on 'Top Of The Pops') find out that the tourbus has been burgled; several clothes and portable televisions are missing.
November 8th 1979: DERBY: King's Hall

Due to police investigation after the burglary in Cardiff, the three bands arrive late in Derby. Although there's no time for a soundcheck, Madness look for a pub where they can watch their 'Top Of The Pops' appearance that was taped the previous day. The search ends at the headquarter of taxi-company Eagle Cars whose employees are rewarded with autographed copies of the One Step beyond single and free entry to the show. A power failure occurs during the first song and after an onstage soundcheck it becomes clear that the bass and organ are not working properly. The other bands come to the rescue by lending their instruments even though time is running out. Madness play a five song set during which Carl plugs Eagle Cars.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:48 am

Madness were the other band on the 2 tone tour...[/quote]

Plus that all girl band...can't remember their name[/quote]

nah,they didn't play the original 2 tone tour at top rank nov 1979 ,it was specials/madness/selecter...[/quote]

They did, my sister was there. I remember her telling me - and she bought their single "Do Rocksteady" not long after.[/quote]

i can guarantee you that bodysnatchers did NOT play on the original 1979 2 tone tour,they may well have supported the specials at sophia gardens in 1980,but the original 2 tone tour was the 3 main players on the label,as stated above.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:50 am

Nedd Glas wrote:

Were they as good as they were at the 2009 gig?

I didn't go in '09 so can't comment.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:14 pm

you can tell i'm bored in work...'the Bodysnatchers first ever gig was on 24/11/79 at the windsor castle pub in london'...the 2 tone tour was in cardiff on 7/11/79...i rest my case,m'lud...

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:27 pm

The Bodysnatchers (several of whom went on to be the Belle Stars or Amazulu?) supported The Selecter at the Top Rank on their first headlining tour, but were definitely not on the bill for the original 2Tone tour. Saw both gigs, though a little misty now.
But I do remember certain City faces who were responsible for ripping off the merchandise! Nuff said :lol:

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:54 pm

Spent £40 on a ticket and can't aven remember it. Drunk much to much much to early. Doesn't help going back to a pub lock in until 5am. Haven't long woke up in the bath? ....I have a nice king size bed as well.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:54 pm

Spent £40 on a ticket and can't aven remember it. Drunk much to much much to early. Doesn't help going back to a pub lock in until 5am. Haven't long woke up in the bath? ....I have a nice king size bed as well.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:16 pm

McNaughtyButNice wrote:The Bodysnatchers (several of whom went on to be the Belle Stars or Amazulu?) supported The Selecter at the Top Rank on their first headlining tour, but were definitely not on the bill for the original 2Tone tour. Saw both gigs, though a little misty now.
But I do remember certain City faces who were responsible for ripping off the merchandise! Nuff said :lol:

I think this chap has it right.

The Selector were shite as well but the saxophonist from the Bodysnatchers was well worth nicking in for.

Bad Manners live, were the best out of all of them but fair play to Madness they used the Ska revival has a platform and launched a unique reorded sound.

Which I think makes them one of the best bands of all time. :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:17 pm

30 years of technological advancement most probably enhanced a fake gig.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:43 pm

i enjoyed the night,nev was excellent,terry a bit flat,but an amazing night,the good old days :D :D :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:56 am

rhondda 1015 wrote:Madness were the other band on the 2 tone tour...

Plus that all girl band...can't remember their name[/quote]

nah,they didn't play the original 2 tone tour at top rank nov 1979 ,it was specials/madness/selecter...[/quote]

They did, my sister was there. I remember her telling me - and she bought their single "Do Rocksteady" not long after.[/quote]

i can guarantee you that bodysnatchers did NOT play on the original 1979 2 tone tour,they may well have supported the specials at sophia gardens in 1980,but the original 2 tone tour was the 3 main players on the label,as stated above.[/quote]

Sorry, I stand corrected. It was a Selecter gig at the Top Rank, in early 1980. The support bands were the Bodysnatchers and the Swinging Cats, who were also signed to the 2 Tone label and had a single out called Mantovani.

:ayatollah: