Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Peter Whittingham

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:07 am

Played well again last night, But i don't think he gets enough credit for his loyalty to the club, he could of done a Bothroyd/Ledley and ran his contract out and left on a free to a premier league side!! But he didnt, he signed a long contract and everytime I see him in a press conference he speaks with passion about the club and how well he wants to do with us!! Same with mcphail, life threatning illness but still works his socks off to get back to fitness and slot comfortably into the current side (even improve it)

So heres to two current legends in my eyes, who have shown loyalty and passion to a club which is missing in most modern day footballers!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Peter Whittingham

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:15 am

Jimmykingz wrote:Played well again last night, But i don't think he gets enough credit for his loyalty to the club, he could of done a Bothroyd/Ledley and ran his contract out and left on a free to a premier league side!! But he didnt, he signed a long contract and everytime I see him in a press conference he speaks with passion about the club and how well he wants to do with us!! Same with mcphail, life threatning illness but still works his socks off to get back to fitness and slot comfortably into the current side (even improve it)

So heres to two current legends in my eyes, who have shown loyalty and passion to a club which is missing in most modern day footballers!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

agreed 100%

how anybody can slag these guys off amazes me... :roll:

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:15 am

spot on thease two are great modern proffesionals and should be role models to our youngsters

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:29 am

It's a mad situation with Whitts, a top class player but he doesn't have much of a relationship with the fans, we don't sing to him and he doesn't really acknoweldge the crowd when he scores....weird....let's build bridges with Whitts haha

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:35 am

Jimmykingz wrote:Played well again last night, But i don't think he gets enough credit for his loyalty to the club, he could of done a Bothroyd/Ledley and ran his contract out and left on a free to a premier league side!! But he didnt, he signed a long contract and everytime I see him in a press conference he speaks with passion about the club and how well he wants to do with us!! Same with mcphail, life threatning illness but still works his socks off to get back to fitness and slot comfortably into the current side (even improve it)

Good post agree with all of that. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:27 am

His fitness is also something else-he covered every blade of grass and put in some great tackles and some quality passes

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:50 am

I know but he's just a bit of a csissy sometimes :D

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:46 am

Whitts seems to have more drive about him this year. doing a lot more pressing and breaking up play as well as maintaining good level of distribution. One of our best players in my mind

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:09 pm

Went to the game last night and thought Whitts was simply magical the 1st half. By far the best our best player this season and is playing out of his skin

So heres to two current legends in my eyes, who have shown loyalty and passion to a club which is missing in most modern day footballers

Replace Loyalty with just being happy at the current work place , it wasn't so long ago Whitts was kicking up a fuss and looking at other options and I'm sure if a Big name Club would have came in for him, he would have gone.

Same with mcphail, life threatning illness but still works his socks off to get back to fitness and slot comfortably into the current side

Pretty much what any top class professional worth their salt would have done ,even Referees

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:00 pm

Whittingham has always been a class act, could step up to premiership with no problems :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:06 pm

A class act, always been massively underrated IMO. It was only a few months ago that people were saying they would drive him to another club for 1m :roll:

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Hit and miss footballer in my mind.

He can produce that moment of magic like he did at Peterborough this season. However he has been in plenty of positions this campaign where he could have put Miller or Earnshaw through but overdid his pass. There were a couple of chances against Ipswich were a simple easy pass and Earnshaw would have been in but he over kick it for the keeper to smouther. Really frustrating when he does that.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:24 pm

Been a massive fan of Whitts since he joined. He doesn't celebrate goals because he seems to think celebrations are too far so to speak:

"It's not a surprise when I score, more the case that, once you start thinking about celebrations, you're thinking about that too much rather than putting the ball in the net."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z1buhgwWhA

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... brate.html

He is a quality player and I think he should have the magic hat :P

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:31 pm

Peter Whittingham is a superb footballer, and a top bloke. Same goes for Stephen McPhail. Always got time for the fans, before and after games. Both have been here for a few years now, and they still don't get the credit they deserve. In ten years' time, we'll be calling them legends. Doing somersaults is not everybody's style. :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Whitts is coming into his own and thats down to malkay, and I believe he is happy at ccfc

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:06 pm

splottbluebird48 wrote:Whitts is coming into his own and thats down to malkay, and I believe he is happy at ccfc

He scored 30 goals the other season, he has been on for for years

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:17 pm

Totally different player this year, agree with some of the observations made though, bet not many of those have come from people who have seen him regularly this year.
He is tackling like his life depends on it, goal line clearances, and who was that one player he attacked with a kung foo tackle,gone up ten fold in my estimation.

From what I hear he quite a shy humble person, and not the typical footballer off the pitch, think he's grown d into and also grown up at this club and appears really settled.

Yes we should sing his name and his praises more, but if he ain't a badge kissing chest thumping type, then so be it, just keep putting in the performances as he's been doing and he can flash the vic at me every match and I'll still love him.

Can't speak highly enough of him, and perhaps some of us have been to fickle at time in the past, but let's learn from that.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:30 am

I remember on one of the boards they were saying 'hes lazy' and 'lack of effort' but ive seen more to him this season espically of the ball when hes out screaming for it in the centre! :old:
Players like Cowie, Gunnarsson coming in has done him a world of good because their work effort in this division rubs off and they are all brilliant midfielders together they work for eachother in that area where in season we just thought Whittingham will just slam a ball through for Jay and Chops etc where he gets more involved with the team!

MM really brought the best out of him and hes progressing more now! :D

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:32 am

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:41 am

coud'nt agree more Whitts is a great lad and has not once demanded a move even when Premiership clubs have tried to lure him. He is a model pro, never talks trash in the press or does interview unless he has to, very much like Scholes. And his performances are always second to none, should be a fans faivourite.