Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Malky Mackay not what everyone makes out

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:40 pm

Now i know starting this thread i will probably get a lot of stick, but this is just my opinion. I value everyones opinions so dont get all snappy.

I dont think Malky Mackay is the type of manager that can take us into the premier league. I know its very early doors but i dont think the signs are positive. We currently sit in the bottom half of the championship table, 12 games in, just over a quarter of the way through. Yes we've had some good wins but there is no flare in the team. Malky seems to get the work rate up but the ability to create a chance from nothing doesnt look to be there. Malkys team seems to be based around work ethic and for the fans you can see why people appreciate this. Compared to last year where we didnt quite have the work ethic, we made up for it in both talent and flare. In my opinion, I dont think we can get out of this league with a bunch of work horses.

Looking at the team this year, yes it may not be as talented but I certainly dont think it is a mid table team. Conway replacing Burke, Gunnarsson for Olofinjana and Andrew Taylor for Naylor, I think we are stronger in these positions. Yes these were Malkys signing and this is an aspect that I like in Malky but I dont think thats enough. In my mind, we've got the ability in players like Conway and Whittingham but its just not happening for us at the moment. In my opinion, this is something that the manager has to take responsibility for.

Ive noticed that we have not signed anyone during this loan window. Its simply obvious that a signing needs to be made. Malky seems to be very picky with who he wants. Fans my blame the owners but there are players out there who can do a job better than Earnie. He may not have the funds but we have had targets lined up and its fallen through. I dont blame the manager entirely but again he has to take some responsibility. He didnt sign somebody because " he wasnt right for the club". As fans i would like a better reason than that. Malky has pulled off some decent signings but has failed to deliver during this loan window.

Looking at his history, Malky hasnt really proved himself a great deal. Fans again my disagree with my view but he took an average watford side to an average finish. Again they were built around work ethic, nothing came of it. He's young and not completely experienced, a risk i dont think is worth taking. He says the right things in interviews and for sure he knows how to win over the fans. The question i ask myself is : does he do this to cover over some of his flaws?

I know that the vast majority will disagree but I dont think he's the right manager to take us forward. Our squad was bare at the start of last season yet Dave Jones guided us to the play offs. Everyone seems to be saying that hes got a difficult task. Yes he does, but Dave Jones did it. If Malky was the great manager that some fans seem to see then why isnt it working for us?

Just food for thought.... :ayatollah:

Re: Malky Mackay not what everyone makes out

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:50 pm

we are 3 points off play offs and 4 points away from auto places, early days yet

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:52 pm

Give the manager a chance mun.....
If Malky had Dave (plan A) Jones squad last year that im sure we would easily be in the top 2 now.
Remember Malky has money to spend wisely and not to waste - no panic yet !!!!!
He shows passion thats enough for me.
I spoke to one of the hierachy last season after our play off defeat and was told that they will do enough to stay up.
Im happy with the manager one or 2 wins and we will be up there.
Have faith fellow.
I honestly dont care if we get promoted this year, but it will be something to build on for an assault next year.
Keep the faith !!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:53 pm

Not another negative post :roll:
For gods sake we are 12 games in and a few points off where we need to be, Take a chill pill FFS :evil:

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:55 pm

What did Dave Jones do?

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:59 pm

What did Dave Jones do?

took us from an average team to a team that regularly competed for promotion

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:02 pm

bluebirdtom16 wrote:
What did Dave Jones do?

With the highest budgets in the clubs history :evil:

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:04 pm

bluebirdtom16 wrote:
What did Dave Jones do?

And then completely fucked it up, which is the pointless thing ever - given the money spent by the bollocks.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Nobody thought Brandan Rodgers would take Swansea into the Prem but what happened?

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:08 pm

bluebirdtom16 wrote:
What did Dave Jones do?

6 seasons with us 2 season challenging for promotion. Not what I call regular.

What were his words when he joined us. "If you dont get a team promoted in 3 years you should leave".

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:10 pm

fine but the majority of this post isnt about DJ

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:17 pm

maybe malky is doing extremely well given the money he has,try looking at it that way, :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:19 pm

Good post. Well constructed. Agree with it all.

bluebirdtom16 wrote:fine but the majority of this post isnt about DJ

Aye but be truthful that is where you are going, comparing MM with DJ.

Compare what MM has had to work with to DJ and it a bit of a difference.

I've been to most games this season and the big difference to when DJ was here is that I am confident our team will give it a go. It might not be good enough for some that but for me it will do. Under DJ I had a belly full of reading about our stars and what they could do only to fail time and time again. No, give me a team that will get stuck in.

Mate, i got no problem with someone disagreeing with me and to be fair i don't think your post is looking for a reaction so to speak. Having said that, i must disagree with the points you make.
It has been quoted on here and elsewhere that malky had either the lowest or second lowest budget in the league, and by a lot of peoples criteria should have therefore been relegated. But on the contrary watford flirted with the play offs for a long time before eventually falling away. You say that watford were just hardworking and basically boring, but in my opinion they were the most entertaining team we played against last year. Indeed, if you had the misfortune of seeing our game at vicarage rd you would have seen a team that more resembled barcelona than watford!
I have been impressed by malky's signings this particularly managig to get in good players on free transfers. Rudy and Kiss in particular seem at this early stage to be masterstrokes and highlight malky extensive scouting network and knowledge of the european game. I do have my reservations about earnie but i suppose as a free it was impossible to turn down. I've said this before and i'll probably say it again, I don't think that we'll see a fully functioning malky mackay team this year as i 100% believe he's got a long term strategy and maybe he underestimated the overhaul that was needed at the club. Anybody who saw the team train last year will be able to tell you that armstrong was a complete dinosaur so a whole new fitness regime needed to be established. This year has been a very lean time for players coming through from the academy, and i believe malky will want to stamp his authority on the academy. Our scouting network towards the end of the dave jones era was frankly diabolical and needed another complete overhaul! So malky has had to do an incredible amount of things in a very short space of time whilst building a team practically from scratch.
I strongly believe that once malky finds the right central defensive partnership he will have put together a team with very solid foundations and strength through the spine of the team. Do i believe we need more pace and flair to be promoted? yes of course but unlike some, i dont see promotion as the be all and end all this year. I have waited a long time to see us in the top flight and i am willing to give malky time to implement his plans at our club so that we dont become a yo-yo club but will be a club that can be credible in the premier league. I truly believe that next season we will see far more pace and flair about malky's team and will be in position to be one of the favourites for promotion unless arsenal, chelsea and man u get relegated :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:28 pm

cheers mate, i hoped someone out there would agree with me haha

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:30 pm

bakedalasker

ye i suppose i was
i can see where your coming from, and the change is probably good
i just preferred the stars that could change a game

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:32 pm

thehumblegringo

i think your more patient than me
im just not prepared to wait around watching us work hard and lose
i really hope your right about us being promotion contenders next year

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:35 pm

bluebirdtom16 wrote:bakedalasker

ye i suppose i was
i can see where your coming from, and the change is probably good
i just preferred the stars that could change a game

Problem was Tom that just did not happen enough.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:36 pm

yup i agree, it cost us
but it seemed more likely to happen then than now

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:38 pm

bluebirdtom16 wrote:

cheers mate, i hoped someone out there would agree with me haha

Plenty can see it not many will say it.

Theres only so long 'At least they give it a go' will last.

This games about results and 2 wins in 10 games is not good enough.

Malky needs to arrest this slide now and prove he is as good a manager as some on here make out.

If hes as good a manager as they make out then the fact he hasnt had millions shouldnt matter. Lambert and Rodgers didnt have millions. They earned the right to be called best young managers in the game.

Malkys done nothing yet except build two teams that are hard to beat. Not very progressive Imo.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:38 pm

Bowmonster wrote:
bluebirdtom16 wrote:
What did Dave Jones do?

With the highest budgets in the clubs history :evil:

Spot on.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Malky needs to arrest this slide now and prove he is as good a manager as some on here make out.

If hes as good a manager as they make out then the fact he hasnt had millions shouldnt matter. Lambert and Rodgers didnt have millions. They earned the right to be called best young managers in the game.

Malkys done nothing yet except build two teams that are hard to beat. Not very progressive Imo.
polo

couldnt agree more... i think people want it to work
i want it to but i cant see it happening
our team isnt that weak, its good enough to beat barnsley at home this weekend
itll be an interesting match

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:46 pm

bluebirdtom16 wrote:

polo

couldnt agree more... i think people want it to work
i want it to but i cant see it happening
our team isnt that weak, its good enough to beat barnsley at home this weekend
itll be an interesting match

To be honest I think you're both over reacting.

Wait for the board to actually back the manager

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:57 pm

Decent post mate you came up with some good points. I think we have to be realistic this season. After the huge turn around in playing and managment staff a big promotion push might be a step too far this season. I like Malkay's style of leadership and positivity. I can remember reading Watfords message boards when he took the job. They were saying just give it a couple of months and watch the Cardiff fans turn on him if the results don't go his way. Now I ain't saying you have turned on him or anything like that,but I think we need to keep together and give it time and not get too worried just yet :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:59 pm

why did the watford fans think we would turn on him? did they say?

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:25 pm

bluebirdtom16 wrote:why did the watford fans think we would turn on him? did they say?

They were saying things like Cardiff have massive expectations. If they ain't fighting for promotion at Christmas then his job will be under consideration. Lots of the things they were saying was from pure frustration that he was joining us.
I don't now about you but I see that our expectation levels have come down loads. We all want want success but I don't mind going about our business quietly with some steady progress.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:30 pm

hmm fair enough from watford fans
yeah i agree, ultimately we want promotion
im just concerned whether malky is the right man

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:36 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
bluebirdtom16 wrote:
What did Dave Jones do?

6 seasons with us 2 season challenging for promotion. Not what I call regular.

What were his words when he joined us. "If you dont get a team promoted in 3 years you should leave".

Did you not enjoy 3 wembley appearances and a fa cup final ???

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:46 pm

Did you not enjoy 3 wembley appearances and a fa cup final ???

exactly