Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Sorry to say but its 'Boring, Boring City' once again.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:17 am

polo wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
polo wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
ninianblue wrote:what drives me mad. and it happened the last time earnie was here. is playing the long ball up to earnie. with a 6 foot defender on his shoulders. its a wasted ball. ?

Couldnt agree more, pass it to his feet and he may do something with it.

Doubt it. his touch has always been poor.

Hes a good finisher but the way this team is set up it just aint creating chances.

Hmm, I have to say I agree. I think more chances will be created eventually, I still don't think the team have completely jelled yet. :ayatollah:

I dont think mm knows what his best team is.

Ah shut up mun. :lol:

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:20 am

the liberty isnt far away please feck off down there. u know what u are!

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:28 am

ninianblue wrote:what drives me mad. and it happened the last time earnie was here. is playing the long ball up to earnie. with a 6 foot defender on his shoulders. its a wasted ball. ?

Chopra scored with a header against Turner ...... another mismatch in height but ended in a goal for Ipswich !!

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:12 am

Martyn1963 wrote:

Chopra scored with a header against Turner ...... another mismatch in height but ended in a goal for Ipswich !!

To be fair the ball just looped over Turner as Chopra was coming in at the far post.
Height never really came into it. One of those things.

Until we find a combination up front that can hold onto the ball, or feed off each other
and build up a good understanding. We will continue to struggle a bit, because the ball
is coming back too quick. We need two strikers up there who will make intelligent runs
and drag defenders all over the shop. Miller is definitely one. Mason is a very clever
player, but probably not quite ready. Gestede is big strong and causes defenders problems
but again, is not quite ready for week in, week out. Earnie has NEVER been the most
intelligent player. His game has always been just to hang off the back of the last defender
and hit the space behind. I think we can pretty much ALL agree now that it no longer
works.

We're all saying our midfield is not creative enough. Yet Whittingham is the most creative
player in the division. Cowie, last season had the most assists, and Conways crossing is
always dangerous.

I think the problem lies up ahead of the midfield, we need more intelligent runs up there.
Once that happens we will be ok. New blood up front we are lacking, not creativity!!

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:28 am

Martyn1963 wrote:

They were hardly jumping together though were they, as Turner had to get back across the goal, having gone short to cover the ball that went to the front post?

Chopra didn't even have to jump for the ball, as it nigh on landed on his head!

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:40 am

taffyapple wrote:
Martyn1963 wrote:

To be fair the ball just looped over Turner as Chopra was coming in at the far post.

Until we find a combination up front that can hold onto the ball, or feed off each other
and build up a good understanding. We will continue to struggle a bit, because the ball
is coming back too quick. We need two strikers up there who will make intelligent runs
and drag defenders all over the shop. Miller is definitely one. Mason is a very clever
player, but probably not quite ready. Gestede is big strong and causes defenders problems
but again, is not quite ready for week in, week out. Earnie has NEVER been the most
intelligent player. His game has always been just to hang off the back of the last defender
and hit the space behind. I think we can pretty much ALL agree now that it no longer
works.

We're all saying our midfield is not creative enough. Yet Whittingham is the most creative
player in the division. Cowie, last season had the most assists, and Conways crossing is
always dangerous.

I think the problem lies up ahead of the midfield, we need more intelligent runs up there.
Once that happens we will be ok. New blood up front we are lacking, not creativity!!

I agree with most of your post Taffy, but it's not just down to the strikers to make intelligent runs, but also down to a lot of the passing into the strikers, which is getting played too high towards them!

If you watched our game against Southampton, you'd have noticed that they played balls over our midfield players, which landed firmly at the feet of their front men, allowing them time to control the ball and hold it up for their midfield runners, to come onto the ball!

With Miller only being 5' 10" and Earnie being a miserly 5' 5", we've got to play more balls into their feet, as the days of consistently lumping balls up to a big striker, for the ball to be knocked on for the smaller but usually quicker player, have long gone! :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:06 am

Overthemoon wrote:
taffyapple wrote:
Martyn1963 wrote:

works.

always dangerous.

I agree with most of your post Taffy, but it's not just down to the strikers to make intelligent runs, but also down to a lot of the passing into the strikers, which is getting played too high towards them!

If you watched our game against Southampton, you'd have noticed that they played balls over our midfield players, which landed firmly at the feet of their front men, allowing them time to control the ball and hold it up for their midfield runners, to come onto the ball!

With Miller only being 5' 10" and Earnie being a miserly 5' 5", we've got to play more balls into their feet, as the days of consistently lumping balls up to a big striker, for the ball to be knocked on for the smaller but usually quicker player, have long gone! :ayatollah:

The problem there is, if you play any long balls to Earnie, his first touch usually gives
the defender time to get on top of him, or clear the ball. Thats includes balls played
to his feet. Gestede im not sure about, he seems to have a good touch at times then
does look clumsy at other times. Miller has a great touch and so does Mason. But apart
from Kenny, its hard to see where regular goals are going to come from. Gestede cos
of his size looks the likeliest bet at the moment but I'd hate to see us just hoofing the
ball up looking for his head. I hope we're better than that

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:14 am

taffyapple wrote:We're all saying our midfield is not creative enough. Yet Whittingham is the most creative
always dangerous.

Thats just opinion and assumption.

If you viewed the games you will see that the midfield are not creating zip, both goals Saturday come out of nothing, no real creative play.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:24 am

polo wrote:
taffyapple wrote:We're all saying our midfield is not creative enough. Yet Whittingham is the most creative
always dangerous.

If you viewed the games you will see that the midfield are not creating zip, both goals Saturday come out of nothing, no real creative play.

Don't know why the team aren't creating so many chances at the moment, because I went to Blackpool and we pissed all over them, without getting the 3 points, that our play certainly deserved!

Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:23 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
polo wrote:
always dangerous.

Don't know why the team aren't creating so many chances at the moment, because I went to Blackpool and we pissed all over them, without getting the 3 points, that our play certainly deserved!

It seems only 1st half v Bristol City, and Blackpool away weve played with any freedom.