Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Dan Weldon RIP

Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:21 pm

British Driver Dan Weldon killed at Indy 300 Race today...RIP :ayatollah:

Re: Dan Weldon RIP

Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:29 pm

Tragic. :cry:

I put the cricket onto record and for obvious reasons the racing whichever type it is has over run, and the bloke a grown man in the studio has just broke down in tears when the news came through.

RIP :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:09 pm

Awful Crash - watched it live , indy car is always risky but that has to be the worst smash and the type every indy car follower has always dreaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn08nh7zoto

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:20 am

KP1964 wrote:British Driver Dan Weldon killed at Indy 300 Race today...RIP :ayatollah:

Strewth, I can't believe that. Dan was one of the Indy Car greats....and British too!!

I saw the crash and it was pretty horrific. Condolences to his family, team and friends

RIP Dan :ayatollah:

I did a couple of laps at Daytona a few years back and it makes you realise how brave those guys are. There's nowhere to go once an accident happens (and those bankings are steeper than they look!!)

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:44 am

In 94 - a few of us did the indy car season when Mansell was in red 5. Great year . Indy itself was awesome - biggest sporting event in the world and like you Sven was lucky to get a few laps - this time around the famous brickyard.

Like you say - when your in the wall -you are simply in the wall. Emerson hit the wall right in front of us at about 220mph - biggest impact ive ever witnessed so close - how they get up and walk away is incredible. Indy Car makes F1 look safer than tiddlywinks.

RIP Dan Wealdon - fantastic driver with 2 brickyard wins under his belt. Not many brits have done that !

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Daya wrote:In 94 - a few of us did the indy car season when Mansell was in red 5. Great year . Indy itself was awesome - biggest sporting event in the world and like you Sven was lucky to get a few laps - this time around the famous brickyard.

Like you say - when your in the wall -you are simply in the wall. Emerson hit the wall right in front of us at about 220mph - biggest impact ive ever witnessed so close - how they get up and walk away is incredible. Indy Car makes F1 look safer than tiddlywinks.

RIP Dan Wealdon - fantastic driver with 2 brickyard wins under his belt. Not many brits have done that !

Steve, you are right....the word is awesome!! Never been to 'The Brickyard' (or been to any 'live' Indy Race at the ) and to do so when the great man won back to back championships (F1 and Indy) must have been something else!!

I was (still am in fact) a huge Nigel Mansell fan, was at his first GP and followed him throughout his career attending all his races in the UK and many in the western side of Europe(Monaco, Belgium, Germany etc).

Il Leone!! :ayatollah:

I would say I was lucky enough to play a round of golf with him at Woodbury Park (his own course!!) a few years ago but I'd be leaving myself open for you to counter-accuse me of 'name-dropping' mate!! :lol: :lol:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Seems like we have something in common !

Regards Nige - don't worry about the name dropping cos I can tell u about the time we sat in his motor home at Indy - he made a film for us with me with my arm round him giving him the race tactics the day before the 94 500 .

He crashed in the pit lane the next day !!

Real top bloke - when he then realised that we were there for every race he and Newman Haas spoilt us rotten - pits , motorhomes , hotels with the drivers the lot .

We were even there when he re signed with Williams with Patrick Head .

Laguna seca his final Indy race - was a right blast the night of the race !!

Came 4th - driving on 3 new tyres and one old one for the whole race as the wheel was jammed .

He was mental driving down the corkscrew not knowing if his tyre would last or wheel would fall off !!

I'll post u a pic later when home !!

Real top man our Nige !!! Total hero who by fluke came a bit of a pal .

Pure fluke right place at right time and he looked after us from there on in true style !!

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:30 pm

At least he died doing what he loved. RIP Dan; your legacy will live forever. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:08 pm

Simple rule in Indy Car racing , if you are prepared to drive be prepared to die.

Harsh but true.

The winner last night alone would have collected 5 million dollars.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:17 pm

one for you Sven - no laughing at the 94 style barnet !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:20 pm

Sven - the corkscrew at laguna seca - 3 new tyres and one duff one and still as fast as he can !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Sven- red 5 stripped and tuned up by Daya ( not ) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:39 pm

Sven Ghali wrote:
KP1964 wrote:British Driver Dan Weldon killed at Indy 300 Race today...RIP :ayatollah:

Strewth, I can't believe that. Dan was one of the Indy Car greats....and British too!!

I saw the crash and it was pretty horrific. Condolences to his family, team and friends

I did a couple of laps at Daytona a few years back and it makes you realise how brave those guys are. There's nowhere to go once an accident happens (and those bankings are steeper than they look!!)

Sven - talking of steep bankings - have you ever seen the old Monza circuit that goes around the current one ? Now thats banking - after a race there once a few of us tried to take a short cut out the circuit by climbing it - i just made it , but 2 of the lads over 14 stone couldnt walk it it was that steep !! how cars drove that i will never understand .

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:49 pm

[quote="Daya"
The winner last night alone would have collected 5 million dollars.[/quote]

If it was a non regular series driver, ie Wheldon.

Indy Car has the Indy 500, but the split years ago damaged the sport, Indy Car very much second fiddle to NASCAR.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:52 pm

RIP :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:10 pm

nerd wrote:[quote="Daya"

Indy Car has the Indy 500, but the split years ago damaged the sport, Indy Car very much second fiddle to NASCAR.[/quote]

IRL / Cart split - did pull it apart for sure but it was still great wheel to wheel racing. You just can't beat those ovals .

Nascar - big for the yanks - ok to watch to me personally could never really get excited by it like most Europeans .

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:29 pm

Dan RIP :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:47 pm

Daya wrote:
nerd wrote:[quote="Daya"

Indy Car has the Indy 500, but the split years ago damaged the sport, Indy Car very much second fiddle to NASCAR.

IRL / Cart split - did pull it apart for sure but it was still great wheel to wheel racing. You just can't beat those ovals .

Nascar - big for the yanks - ok to watch to me personally could never really get excited by it like most Europeans .[/quote]

Problem is, tho, Steve, the standard of driver in Indy Car has been diluted - the better talent is in Nascar. HGence you get so many crashes on the ovals because the raw pace generated being flat means there's not as much of a disparity in race pace between top guys and rookies. And one incident on a bunched up track... well...

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:48 pm

this was the worst one i ever saw live at the track in 99 in California , we were sat on the inside about 100 metres away as the car came off the track. happened so quickly and the noise of the impact was deafning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tl-6oqN0i4

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Sven - ( sorry to bore non race fans ) - heres car 45 before and then in the race !

Bit of our Nige on here too after my race tactics tips :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKv9BJ21 ... re=related

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Problem is, tho, Steve, the standard of driver in Indy Car has been diluted - the better talent is in Nascar. HGence you get so many crashes on the ovals because the raw pace generated being flat means there's not as much of a disparity in race pace between top guys and rookies. And one incident on a bunched up track... well...[/quote]

Have to agree with that mate - when we used to go it was full of the likes of Montoya, Vilineve, Mansell ,Mario and many other great names and drivers - it was actually a rookie who crashed ontop of Mansell in 94 in the pit outlane just as he was gearing up for his charge to the front.

Youre right mate - the split brought about too many Rookies .

Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:59 am

Daya wrote:
Sven Ghali wrote:

Sven - talking of steep bankings - have you ever seen the old Monza circuit that goes around the current one ? Now thats banking - after a race there once a few of us tried to take a short cut out the circuit by climbing it - i just made it , but 2 of the lads over 14 stone couldnt walk it it was that steep !! how cars drove that i will never understand .

No Steve. Not been there either. One for the future though, as I have recently started to attend races again (cars and bikes) after swapping my race leathers for a Pan European and some Cordura!! :lol:

Did the Goodwood Revival recently and that is a recommended day out (better even IMO than the Festival of Speed at the same venue) :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:06 am

Daya wrote:Seems like we have something in common !

Regards Nige - don't worry about the name dropping cos I can tell u about the time we sat in his motor home at Indy - he made a film for us with me with my arm round him giving him the race tactics the day before the 94 500 .

He crashed in the pit lane the next day !!

Real top bloke - when he then realised that we were there for every race he and Newman Haas spoilt us rotten - pits , motorhomes , hotels with the drivers the lot .

We were even there when he re signed with Williams with Patrick Head .

Laguna seca his final Indy race - was a right blast the night of the race !!

Came 4th - driving on 3 new tyres and one old one for the whole race as the wheel was jammed .

He was mental driving down the corkscrew not knowing if his tyre would last or wheel would fall off !!

I'll post u a pic later when home !!

Real top man our Nige !!! Total hero who by fluke came a bit of a pal .

Pure fluke right place at right time and he looked after us from there on in true style !!

That IS impressive Steve. The guy (Mansell) is a living legend and should have been a muliple World F1 Champion. A true 'racer' indeed :ayatollah:

Life is mad sometimes and we find ourselves in the right place at the right time to see something special. For you that was such a period and you should treasure it :ayatollah:

Liked the pictures too; although the old barnet made you look like Kevin Webster from coronation street!! :lol: :lol:

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:24 am

Sven - I could handle Sally Webster !

Glad you liked the pics ! Agree regards Nige , had so much bad luck plus was racing at the time every week against some true greats.

Cheers

Kevin :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:36 am

Sven Ghali wrote:
Daya wrote:
Sven Ghali wrote:

No Steve. Not been there either. One for the future though, as I have recently started to attend races again (cars and bikes) after swapping my race leathers for a Pan European and some Cordura!! :lol:

Did the Goodwood Revival recently and that is a recommended day out (better even IMO than the Festival of Speed at the same venue) :ayatollah:

It's a great one to do well worth the trip - very fast track . Havent done that one for a few years mind as Im trying to complete every track and Ive done that one twice ( yes it was that good went back the next year ) first year Ferrari had a one -two the place went mental it was amazing watching the Tifiosi going nuts .

Goodwood not tried yet will have to find some time to give it a bash.

Thankfully I had another " fluke " when at Singapore Night race in 2009 so I'm on a bit of a number again now on the passes. :P only trouble is is finding the time of late. Not many tracks left to do now . If you are going back to going to races - let me know when you are going - we can sit trackside and chat about how you slag me off on here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: what races do you fancy next ?

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:28 pm

Daya wrote:
Sven Ghali wrote:
Daya wrote:
Sven Ghali wrote:

It's a great one to do well worth the trip - very fast track . Havent done that one for a few years mind as Im trying to complete every track and Ive done that one twice ( yes it was that good went back the next year ) first year Ferrari had a one -two the place went mental it was amazing watching the Tifiosi going nuts .

Goodwood not tried yet will have to find some time to give it a bash.

Thankfully I had another " fluke " when at Singapore Night race in 2009 so I'm on a bit of a number again now on the passes. :P only trouble is is finding the time of late. Not many tracks left to do now . If you are going back to going to races - let me know when you are going - we can sit trackside and chat about how you slag me off on here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: what races do you fancy next ?

LOL :lol: I try not to 'slag' anyone off on here and I don't mean to offend :oops: But I DO get very frustrated at negativity (from anyone) towards a club that could have gone bust not that long ago!! ;)

I actually never mean to cause offence but I do get carried away sometimes!! :oops:

Can recommend the Goodwood events strongly. You often get to mix with the 'masters' of racing (car and bike) with entertaining driving events and some superb photo opportunities

This year I was lucky enough to meet Sammy Miller; the former motorcycle World and Scottish International Six Day Trial Champion. He was a bit of a hero of mine (and my late dad) as I grew up competing in trials and motocross before moving on to the track

If an event comes up that I can get to early next year (car or bike) mabe we could meet up and I'll buy you a Beaujolais as an act of peace!! :lol: :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Sounds goot to me Sven !! :old:

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Daya wrote:Sounds goot to me Sven !! :old:

Nice one, Steve ;) :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: